Lack of names on Socceroos players' shirts

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Lack of names on Socceroos players' shirts

Post by Con M »

On a minor note, once again last night there were no player names on the Socceroos' shirts.

There would have been a good-size national audience on live FoxTV & SBS (delayed). Not all of that audience would have been regular soccer-football supporters, but plenty of mainstream neutrals who would have tuned in because there was no other sport live on a quiet Tuesday evening in Australia.

Not all of those neutral mainstream viewers would have known the OZ players' names. What would have it cost/hurt for some FFA underling to have organized this getting of the names on those shirts? Say $12 per shirt? An average of 12 letters per name per shirt? Japan had the names in English on their players' shirts and they don't even speak/read/write English.

Cue the critics about this minor attention to detail, but IMO slack and not good enough by the FFA underlings.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Lack of names on Socceroos players' shirts

Post by Stuckey »

England did the same thing the other day when they played Brazil. IMO the only people who will notice something like that are people who watch Socceroo games regularly and if you do that you should know all the players by now.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Stuckey wrote:England did the same thing the other day when they played Brazil. IMO the only people who will notice something like that are people who watch Socceroo games regularly and if you do that you should know all the players by now.
No, in fact look back and England were organized and had their players' names on that alternative red strip they played in.

It was the slack Brazilian underlings who didn't have their players' names on the yellow shirts. I hear you Stuckey, but disagree. Our sport is behind other codes in this country and we need every little thing that will help mainstream neutrals' knowledge of the game here.

Thank goodness FIFA, UEFA, the AFC, the A-League and other organizations will demand this simple placing of players' names on shirts in this modern age. No excuse for the slackers.

I'll be making a simple phone call as a fan to the FFA and I bet they'll have the names on the shirts for next Tuesday's game @ non-rectangular Etihad..

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Oh my mistake! They do usually do it though. I find though this does go out the window during away games.

George Gotzías
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by George Gotzías »

Don't most teams not have names on their shirts for qualifiers?
Rocket Science isn't all that it's cracked up to be

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

In most international games (excluding major tournaments), the away team never (or rarely) has their names on their shirts. Always wondered why...

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Red-4-Life wrote:In most international games (excluding major tournaments), the away team never (or rarely) has their names on their shirts. Always wondered why...
Probably slackness by the underling or waterboy meant to be looking after the day-to-day equipment and small duties around the team.

And what to make then of home nation Brazil not having the names on shirts recently against visiting England, who did have names displayed?

I'd say out-and-out slackness for last week's prestigious friendly. Just like their unreadiness with their stadia for the upcoming Confederations Cup. They even had to get a higher judge to over-rule one who ruled that last week's Brazil v. England game not go ahead at the Maracana because of unsafe construction/refurbishment.

Now, where were we? That's right, the small matter of names on shirts @ a $1 per letter.

DOC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by DOC »

a lot of teams do it, big deal, shiraz you guys are petty, we have an epic game and performance and you whinge about name on shirts or etihad stadium
ImageImage

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

DOC wrote:a lot of teams do it, big deal, shiraz you guys are petty, we have an epic game and performance and you whinge about name on shirts or etihad stadium
I knew you'd come in on this, Doc.

I did start off this post with the words "On a minor note.." Doc. And look back at other posts - I said I was most pleasantly surprised with that great performance in Saitama.

But for the benefit of the many neutral mainstreamers who will be tuning in next week, what's wrong with tending to this minor cost of say, $12 per shirt if it helps identify the players to these newcomer fans?

DOC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by DOC »

the team is announced before the match, all across social media and fox go through it at least 3 times before a ball is kicked, if people can't get that then they don't deserve to
ImageImage

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

I noticed it too Con, looked odd just because its the norm to have it, I suppose its what weve become used too.

No biggy just looked unfinished.

DOC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by DOC »

paul merson wrote:I noticed it too Con, looked odd just because its the norm to have it, I suppose its what weve become used too.

Got to watch more internationals mate, becoming the norm again out of big tournaments
ImageImage

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

paul merson wrote:I noticed it too Con, looked odd just because its the norm to have it, I suppose its what weve become used too.

Yeah, that's the word I was looking for, Mers. It looked unfinished & incomplete.

But IMO it's important to have it on for the mainstream neutrals who tune in.

The following was an email response I received from Gary Moretti, National Men's Team Manager:

"Dear Con,

Thanks for your email & support for our Qantas Socceroos.
your point is duly noted.

However, there was a simple explanation for this situation - which happens only at certain away matches.
FIFA demands all shirts are numbered 1-23 on match day. We had 26 players in contention for the final 23 match day spots. As the final decision was made late on match day, names to shirts for both sets of 23 shirts was not possibel because of time restraints.

All being well, names will be on shirts for home matches as per all past matches.

Best regards,
Gary Moretti"

Adolt Hıtler
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Adolt Hıtler »

What if they have 26 players in contention for the final 23 match day spots in the home fixtures?
If this username offends you does Saloth Sar. At least that is the name of someone that exists.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Wir Sind Helden wrote:What if they have 26 players in contention for the final 23 match day spots in the home fixtures?
Nah, they said they're sorting that out. Looks like it may be the same starting 11, especially as Milligan performed well and the recovered Jedinak is no certainty to take his spot.

Stuckey
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stuckey »

Con M wrote:
Wir Sind Helden wrote:What if they have 26 players in contention for the final 23 match day spots in the home fixtures?
Nah, they said they're sorting that out. Looks like it may be the same starting 11, especially as Milligan performed well and the recovered Jedinak is no certainty to take his spot.
You'd think he would push for a spot. His probably one of the only players in the squad actually playing regularly in Europe. People often lay the boot into him but I think he is one of the better players the socceroos have ATM.

bapa
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by bapa »

Con M wrote:

Yeah, that's the word I was looking for, Mers. It looked unfinished & incomplete.

The following was an email response I received from Gary Moretti, National Men's Team Manager:

"Dear Con,

However, there was a simple explanation for this situation - which happens only at certain away matches.
FIFA demands all shirts are numbered 1-23 on match day. We had 26 players in contention for the final 23 match day spots. As the final decision was made late on match day, names to shirts for both sets of 23 shirts was not possibel because of time restraints.

All being well, names will be on shirts for home matches as per all past matches.

Best regards,
Gary Moretti"

Phwew, glad that was sorted!

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

bubu wrote:
Con M wrote:

"Dear Con,

Best regards,
Gary Moretti"

Phwew, glad that was sorted!
Very glad you are happy with the sorting of this minor issue, bubu. Every little thing which can help Aussie mainstream neutrals understand and appreciate the World game should be appreciated!

pyroboy1911
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by pyroboy1911 »

I think home, they have access to heat press machine so they are able to print names onto the shirts at a shorter notice.

Regular socceroos viewers will also notice the shirt will always feature a Match Day Transfers (MDT), , which is printed under the crest involving teams faced, date and venue. Other national teams also regularly feature MDT includes Holland and England, while most other country only uses them in major tournament such as the World Cup.

Bodø's Publicist
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Bodø's Publicist »

Holland is not country.
R.I.P
Stuff And Stuff About Stuff

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

DOC wrote:

Got to watch more internationals mate, becoming the norm again out of big tournaments
But 95% of the football you'd watch has it, therefor that's what I'd consider the norm

Steelinho
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Steelinho »

Bodø's Publicist wrote:Holland is not country.
It is great motherland.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

As well as the lack of names on the shirts - I'm not impressed with the font and colour used for the numbers either.

They were difficult read as the green was too pale - it should be a bold, dark green, not an insipid wishy washy shade.

The numbers should also be more 'solid', rather than the thin, weak ones they used. :roll:
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

redmum
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by redmum »

Old Master wrote:As well as the lack of names on the shirts - I'm not impressed with the font and colour used for the numbers either.

They were difficult read as the green was too pale - it should be a bold, dark green, not an insipid wishy washy shade.

The numbers should also be more 'solid', rather than the thin, weak ones they used. :roll:
I'm not too keen on the shoes of some players...seriously....purple shoes with green and gold????
FIGHTING LIKE A GIRL

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

redmum wrote:
Old Master wrote:As well as the lack of names on the shirts - I'm not impressed with the font and colour used for the numbers either.

I'm not too keen on the shoes of some players...seriously....purple shoes with green and gold????
Ha ha, Redmummy. Spot on observation. Some players have no idea about a degree of colour co-ordination. What's wrong with predominantly black with a splash of the team colours? I know mud no longer exists these days on modern well-maintained pitches, but in the old days those fancy-coloured boots would have been neutralised to brown.

On a minor point, at least they have to have the tape holding shinguards in place the same colour as their socks, and made to wear white ankle-guards/supports UNDER those socks these days..

redmum
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by redmum »

Con M wrote:
redmum wrote:

Ha ha, Redmummy. Spot on observation. Some players have no idea about a degree of colour co-ordination. What's wrong with predominantly black with a splash of the team colours? I know mud no longer exists these days on modern well-maintained pitches, but in the old days those fancy-coloured boots would have been neutralised to brown.

On a minor point, at least they have to have the tape holding shinguards in place the same colour as their socks, and made to wear white ankle-guards/supports UNDER those socks these days..
I know, it's sad.

I mean, what do they teach them at these training camps they go to?
FIGHTING LIKE A GIRL

Ciudad Juarez
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ciudad Juarez »

so then why are people from Denmark referred to as Dutch? :roll:
Formerly known as El Paso del Norte

mike17
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by mike17 »

We already make so many concessions due to wanting to grow the game here, eg. finals, salary cap to make it even, marquee players etc etc

Personally I dont mind but I think it would help newcomers get to know the players better

Bodø's Publicist
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Bodø's Publicist »

Ciudad Juarez wrote:
I didn't know anyone refered to people from Denmark as the Dutch.
R.I.P
Stuff And Stuff About Stuff

Ciudad Juarez
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ciudad Juarez »

Bodø's Publicist wrote:
Ciudad Juarez wrote:
I didn't know anyone refered to people from Denmark as the Dutch.
well now you know
Formerly known as El Paso del Norte