Keeping the ball on the deck

This forum is for the discussion of general coaching topics. Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

FootballNews is not responsible for any of the comments posted in this forum and this forum is moderated.

Moderator: Forum Admins

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Keeping the ball on the deck

Post by Con M »

In the majority of FFSA games I have recently watched you cannot help but notice how much of the time the ball spends high up in the air instead of on the deck in an attractive passing style.

There can be a number of reasons for this, some of which are:

* state of the pitch

* pressure for results

* the helter skelter, frantic pace of the game

* the clock ticking down and the understandable need to go long to try & jag a goal if a team is losing.

However, there seem to be very few players able to put the foot on the ball, slow things down a bit and bring order to the frantic pace. The few that do could be given more protection by the refs in my opinion.

Could a practice game style that I saw in Europe a few years back help drill local teams into keeping the ball on the deck a bit more? A few years ago in Europe I watched Senior teams take on their seconds or youth teams in practice games where the Seniors were forced to keep everything on the deck:

* goalie had to roll out everything to an unmarked free team-mate

* goal-kicks had to be taken short to an unmarked free team-mate

* throw-ins had to be cushioned down and usually passed back to the unmarked thrower to build the play from there

* free-kicks had to be taken short to an unmarked team-mate

* corners had to be pulled back along the deck to an unmarked team-mate arriving at the edge of the box, or taken short by 2 attackers against 1 defender.

Flank attackers had to take on defenders in a dribble to get to the goal-line for a cut-back along the deck

I realize the ball gets kept more on the deck as you go up in the standard of the leagues, but could this practice game approach by Seniors playing their Reserves or Under 18s help here in the FFSA?

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Re: Keeping the ball on the deck

Post by Željko Jurin »

We will have to wait for the next generation of players and coaches
Spot Željko Jurin Jnr ......

Armageddon
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Armageddon »

Željko Jurin wrote:We will have to wait for the next generation of players and coaches
+1

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Željko Jurin wrote:We will have to wait for the next generation of players and coaches
And pitches!

No point trying to play nice football on paddocks, which most pitches were by the end of last season, well in result based seniors any way.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

paul merson wrote:
And pitches!

No point trying to play nice football on paddocks, which most pitches were by the end of last season, well in result based seniors any way.
But why wait Zeljko? It would cost nothing for the FFSA seniors to try the above style mentioned, say on a Monday or Tuesday night against the Ressies or Under 18s. It could become habit-forming and the seniors might really enjoy the possession.

And Mers, point taken about the pitches deteriorating later in the season - hence the first dot point in my post "state of the pitches". You wish councils/clubs could afford to at least put a heavy roller over the penalty areas occasionally to smooth out the bumps to make it conducive to play "nice football" as you put it.

I'm still of the opinion that the pitches are still in reasonable nick in January,February, March, April and May before the rains set in and this on-the-deck practice game approach can be persevered with..

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Con M wrote:
paul merson wrote:
And pitches!

But why wait Zeljko? It would cost nothing for the FFSA seniors to try the above style mentioned, say on a Monday or Tuesday night against the Ressies or Under 18s. It could become habit-forming and the seniors might really enjoy the possession.

And Mers, point taken about the pitches deteriorating later in the season - hence the first dot point in my post "state of the pitches". You wish councils/clubs could afford to at least put a heavy roller over the penalty areas occasionally to smooth out the bumps to make it conducive to play "nice football" as you put it.

I'm still of the opinion that the pitches are still in reasonable nick in January,February, March, April and May before the rains set in and this on-the-deck practice game approach can be persevered with..
Who says teams dont play those style games already Con?

I'd love to play on a flat goal area every week Con, this year hasnt been too bad but as you say the rain hasnt set in yet.

I have a question, who has the most positive influence on a game, a GK that plays well with his feet or a GK that is good at shot stopping?

Valdes is probably the best with his feet, how often does he influence the score by playing with his feet in comparison to how often his 'average' shot stopping has cost Barca goals?

I'd take a good shot stopper any day of the week.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Which then opens the question, how many coaches actually know what they want in their GK?

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

paul merson wrote:
Con M wrote:
paul merson wrote: And pitches!

Who says teams dont play those style games already Con?

I'd love to play on a flat goal area every week Con, this year hasnt been too bad but as you say the rain hasnt set in yet.

I have a question, who has the most positive influence on a game, a GK that plays well with his feet or a GK that is good at shot stopping?

Valdes is probably the best with his feet, how often does he influence the score by playing with his feet in comparison to how often his 'average' shot stopping has cost Barca goals?

Hey Mers, agreed. First priority, gotta stop the shots from going in...

I didn't say teams don't play those style practice games. I'm sure Ivan Karlovic and other top FFSA coaches in both Premier and State Leagues already preach that and aspire to fine-tuning that. I just hope they keep persisting.

Now for your legit question posted at 8.16am - what do coaches want in their G.K.? Not many current coaches are ex-goalies like my coach was back in antiquity (Charlie Horvath). You already know what they expect. But off the top of my head in my opinion I would imagine they would want:

* a good shot-stopper like you said, with excellent reflexes

* strong physique & able to confidently take all high crosses into the box despite being buffetted

* big voice, boss of the penalty area at corners, free-kicks etc

* excellent positioning & never beaten at the near post - the far post is up to defenders to be goal-side of attackers and prevent tap-ins..

* able to confidently take back-passes with either foot and re-distribute and switch play.

Ever since the back-pass to the goalie was not allowed to be picked up, coaches would want their 'keeper to be good with his feet and many coaches demanded that 'keepers played as outfield players in small-sided training games to hone their skills in that area.

Outlaw 2.0
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Outlaw 2.0 »

Con M wrote:
paul merson wrote: Who says teams dont play those style games already Con?

Hey Mers, agreed. First priority, gotta stop the shots from going in...

I didn't say teams don't play those style practice games. I'm sure Ivan Karlovic and other top FFSA coaches in both Premier and State Leagues already preach that and aspire to fine-tuning that. I just hope they keep persisting.

Now for your legit question posted at 8.16am - what do coaches want in their G.K.? Not many current coaches are ex-goalies like my coach was back in antiquity (Charlie Horvath). You already know what they expect. But off the top of my head in my opinion I would imagine they would want:

* a good shot-stopper like you said, with excellent reflexes

* strong physique & able to confidently take all high crosses into the box despite being buffetted

* big voice, boss of the penalty area at corners, free-kicks etc

* excellent positioning & never beaten at the near post - the far post is up to defenders to be goal-side of attackers and prevent tap-ins..

* able to confidently take back-passes with either foot and re-distribute and switch play.

Ever since the back-pass to the goalie was not allowed to be picked up, coaches would want their 'keeper to be good with his feet and many coaches demanded that 'keepers played as outfield players in small-sided training games to hone their skills in that area.
.......... wrote:"The best Goalkeepers, the truly best goalkeepers in the world should very rarely have to make a save. In my opinion if you can organise your defense in a way that you don't have to make a save, then you have done your job as a Goalkeeper"
HA'WAY THE LADS

black
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by black »

I say we play the game on pitches for the first half of the season and then at the beach and any other random park for the second half.
This way pitches and "bouncy balls" can be taught. It all comes down to basic skills...... practice practice practice.
Kids in brazil, bolivia, ubetucan, run-em-over-via play in unpredictable environments with great skill and enthusiasm. Let the game be played and played as often as possible.
1/6.... but still 6. :)

"you see the eye to detail,the accuracy of the pass, it's the weight of the pass and the decision making in the games, that makes top players stand out form average players" - Rene' Meulensteen,