Small Sided Games - Rules

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Small Sided Games - Rules

Post by swannsong »

Watching my lads team (under11) playing last weekend and they had 2 penalties awarded against them for accidental handballs.
I was of the belief that all handballs were indirect free kicks and that penalties were only awarded for serious fouls or misconduct.
The referee on the day wasn't sure of the rules and took his instructions from the opposition supporters.
I also read somewhere there were no throw ins and that players just pass the ball in when it goes out.
For my reference..where can you find a copy of the rules/instructions for Small Sided games that applies to South Australian football
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

POLONIAROCS
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: Small Sided Games - Rules

Post by POLONIAROCS »

its all on the FFSA website. Under competitions / Juniors.

BIG RED
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by BIG RED »

Hand balls which are very rare (and I dont think I have ever seen a deliberate hand ball yet in SSF) - I would give an indirect free if anything.

Kick ins are for Under 6/7 only when the ball goes out over the side lines - Under 11's should be throwing the ball in from the side line's

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

For deliberate or serious acts of handball or fouls and misconduct in the penalty area, a penalty kick is awarded from an 8m penalty mark with only a goalkeeper in position. all other players must be outside the penalty area and be at least 5m behind the penalty mark
Surely the ref/game leader should know the rules before they take the whistle .... taking 15mins to read the age appropriate rules is not hard or time consuming you would think

Accidental in the box is not a penalty, neither is a trip/foul in the box

My advise, if it deliberately stops a child from scoring a certain goal, then give it .... otherwise indirect free kick

Lets not get too technical and bring adult rules and interpretations into kids games

http://www.smallsidedfootball.com.au/pd ... ndbook.pdf
Spot Željko Jurin Jnr ......

coutinho10
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by coutinho10 »

I coach an under 9's team and have witnessed many a weird decisions against us but end of the day if the opposing team enjoy the fact that they can say they won the game good for them. It's not even worth mentioning that a wrong decision was made to them at the end of the game as then they will believe you are making excuses why they won and its usually one parent doing it that is the only one who puts their hand up.
As long as my boys play good football with the right fundamentals being executed in the right spirit and continue to develop is all I care about.
Play to win or play for their future?.
Do the later and you are going to produce winners for when it matters.
LIVERPOOL FC *****

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

coutinho10 wrote:I coach an under 9's team and have witnessed many a weird decisions against us but end of the day if the opposing team enjoy the fact that they can say they won the game good for them. It's not even worth mentioning that a wrong decision was made to them at the end of the game as then they will believe you are making excuses why they won and its usually one parent doing it that is the only one who puts their hand up.
As long as my boys play good football with the right fundamentals being executed in the right spirit and continue to develop is all I care about.
Play to win or play for their future?.
Do the later and you are going to produce winners for when it matters.
I coach Under 9's as well and agree 100% on what you have posted....I have come across quite a few sides that put the adult ahead of the child....We have come a long way but have a long way to go... :wink: