A guide to the language of Sunday League football

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

A guide to the language of Sunday League football

Post by paul merson »

Last week the Premier League, the Football Association and the government announced an injection of £102m into grassroots football over the next three years, with the aim of improving facilities and increasing participation. Discussion about grassroots football often mentions "the community" and "the next generation", and where positive developments can be made to these valuable ends. But there is a more mundane side to the lowest level of the football pyramid.

Every Sunday morning, thousands of amateur footballers battle against any combination of hangovers, dubious fitness levels and scandalous playing surfaces in a vain attempt to demonstrate that they've "still got it". While the skill levels will inevitably be lacking, one aspect of the Sunday League game is as strong as the top flight.

English football, from top to bottom, has always been characterised by its intangible, unquantifiable qualities of spirit, passion, grit, determination and, less notably, "talking".

Talking is easy. Not talking enough is generally agreed in Sunday League to be highly counter-productive. Players are urged before kick-off for "lots of talking", especially "back there". Not talking is an accusation that can only be levelled at a whole team, rather than an individual (unless it is the captain, who must shout indiscriminately for 90 minutes, for that is his job.)

To avoid this indictment, a set of largely useless phrases has emerged, which can be called upon whenever necessary to punctuate a period of relative silence. Everyone knows them, everyone understands what they are vaguely supposed to mean, and almost nobody questions them.

Clichéd as they are, many strained bellows you hear on a football pitch – "Man on!", "Out we go!", etc – are useful instructions. The following set of on-pitch rallying cries, however, deserve closer inspection:

1) "We've Gone Quiet"
Going quiet, as highlighted earlier, is the sign of a malfunctioning team. No one is talking, which means they all might as well go home. A period of notable quietness is ended only when the captain draws everyone's attention to it: "Come on lads, we've gone quiet!". It can, at the shouter's discretion, be bookended with "...haven't we?", to offer the illusion of a debate where one is really not available.

2) "Straight In"
A staple instruction that can be used only at a very specific moment – namely, the opponents kicking off the game. "Run after the ball!", this phrase demands, "Chase it when they kick it backwards!". Only the strikers need to do this, of course, and the moment quickly passes. Getting "straight in" is not a continuous requirement, but merely an opening gesture of intent, which is likely to be unfulfilled. It is often accompanied by a mindless, yet somehow entirely appropriate-feeling, clap of the hands.

3) "Two On The Edge"
When a corner is awarded, it is everyone's job to pick up their man. One eagle-eyed player has the extra task of spotting a discrepancy in this complex marking system, in that there are two unattended opponents lumbering into the penalty area.

In extreme circumstances, there may be "three on the edge" – an unthinkable catastrophe that is met with a suitably incredulous cry of "I've got three here!". The lack of concentration may be down to the defence's preoccupation with the big man, the lanky opposing centre-back/estate agent who has arrived with a look of great purpose from the back.

4) "All Day"
An utterly irritating phrase (specifically designed to be so) used by smug opponents to declare your attacking efforts as weak and unlikely to succeed, even if repeated. Often said twice in quick succession – as a speculative effort flies into neighbouring allotments – to compound the humiliation.

5) "It's Still 0-0"
Football is an overwhelmingly childish pursuit. Much of football supporting is based on schadenfreude and suffering the taunts, in return, when your own team is humbled.

To combat this threat, some employ an overly defensive stance, hoping that an audible absence of pride will pre-empt any possible fall. And so, if a Sunday League team races into an early lead, one stern-faced, armband-toting try-hard will attempt to construct a parallel universe in which the game is, in fact, goalless. The job is not done, he insists – a point he may return to when the final score is 7-4 or something similarly amateur.

6) "Box 'Em In!"
A cult classic, perhaps, which satisfies two fundamental criteria: 1) a laughable attempt at tactical insight, and 2) exclaimed almost instinctively, every single time. The ball goes out for an opposition throw-in, deep in their final third, and it is universally accepted that they do not have the adequate technical skills (or simply the upper-body strength) to play/hurl their way to safety.

7) "[Shirt Colour] Head on This!"
Possibly the most pointless one of all. For the uninitiated, this cryptic command is for your teammates to meet an imminent opposition hoof with their head before the other lot can. No accuracy is necessary but congratulations are available for heading it really, really hard, straight back where it came from. "WELL UP!" you are told, with your name declared in full if the game is particularly tense. More forward-thinking Sunday league players concern themselves with the second ball, which is often simply another header. Third balls remain an untapped, bewildering resource, possibly due to Chaos Theory.

8) "Away!"
Loosely translated as "Now look here, team-mate, I neither want nor trust you to play your way out of trouble. Please dispose of the ball as quickly and as far away as possible." Failure to do as directed leaves one open to castigation for "bottle of shiraz about with it there," but this may be permitted if the player is in possession of a sufficient amount of...

9) "Time!"
The ball drops from the air and a player finds himself in acres of space. Pointing this out to him might seem a good idea. It'll calm him down, allow him to get his head up and play a pass, rather than treat the ball like an unpinned grenade.

However, when 10 other players scream "Time! Time!" in unison, it tends to have quite the opposite effect. The futility of the situation is laid bare when, after giving away possession easily, the player is offered a final, withering, retrospective observation: "You had time."

10) "Who's got tape?"
The gold-dust of amateur football, despite being available in any hardware shop. As the sole provider of ankle-securing tape, once you declare and dispense it, you will never see it again.

11) "Ref! Ref! How long?"
Usually asked by an overexcited player from the leading team, with surprising desperation. Whatever the answer, the player will always add about 10% on before relaying the revised figure to his teammates.

12) "Watch the short!"
It is considered a cardinal sin to let an opposing Sunday League team pass a goal-kick out to a full-back. Precisely what sort of devastating attack an average Sunday League team are expected to be capable of, deep in their own half, with the ball at the feet of traditionally the least capable player in their ranks, is anyone's guess.

Amateur-level goal-kicks, thumped aimlessly as far down the pitch as possible, often aren't a job for the goalkeeper. As the designated goal-kick taker for their sides, many Sunday league centre-halves can confirm that fetching a distant match ball in preparation for this moment is one of the more soul-destroying aspects of life at around 11am on every Sunday between September and May.

13) "One of you!"
When a Sunday League midfield is so often instructed to "get a [insert team's shirt colour] head on this", you often witness an unsightly clash of [insert team's shirt colour]-clad bodies as they simultaneously attempt to perform their primary duty. It is left to a team-mate to helpfully point out that only one of them was required on the scene.

14) "Don't let it bounce!"
A rare example of a phenomenon that afflicts a Premier League side just as much as it does your Sunday morning rabble. Letting the ball bounce, especially "back there", is traditionally asking for trouble.

15) "Where Was The Shout?"
The ultimate act of Sunday league buck-passing. A player is unceremoniously dispossessed from behind, to howls of derision from his teammates. Accompanied by a despairing flap of the arms, the player begs of his colleagues: "Where was the shout?!" There wasn't one. Because they've gone quiet, haven't they?

WayneO
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: A guide to the language of Sunday League football

Post by WayneO »

:lol:

brilliant
Why so much Hatred in the world?
Make love not war!!

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

That is scarily accurate and the majority will come from my mouth every game :lol: :lol:

Good read.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Love it but there must be more...don't forget ... "Any Spare Socks"... "Out" .... "No Tackle" ....and others
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

PDog
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by PDog »

"you're hot, you're hot"

The Kings Jesta
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by The Kings Jesta »

Chuck in "no/don't foul" as well and it'd be complete with Swanny's add ins. Maybe even a "get stuck in" or "harder"

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

"But I got the Ball" to the Ref when a less than legal tackle is made...

"we're playing against 12 today boys" also get's it's fair shout in reserve an C matches :lol:

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

what about the most obvious...."into the mixer"
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Miyuki
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Miyuki »

Steve#4 wrote:"But I got the Ball" to the Ref when a less than legal tackle is made..
I remember a player saying to me when I was running the line he couldn't be offside because "I was running sideways". Good one Besa! (the forumite, not the now defunct club).
As always deadlines to meet.

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by GaylyColouredStumps »

"ohhh unlucky millsy" when the khunt couldnt score in a faaarken brothel, or hes had a totally unnecessary crack from just inside the halfway line. luck has nothing to do with it. unco-ordination/lack of brain power does

"get your head over it son"

"play it early!"
These users thanked the author Sunny Vanilla for the post:
Old Master, johndedes, theorakle, ozzie owl, suzie, thewabster, Za Dom Spremni

ExtraTime
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by ExtraTime »

Get Back !!!!!! To the adventurous defender that goes for a wander and forgetting what his role is

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

bloodypassit wrote:Get Back !!!!!! To the adventurous defender that goes for a wander and forgetting what his role is
or it could be the sweeper who is talking to his lazy faaaarken midfielders who have more than enough energy going forward to score the faaarken glory goal, but when they lose it, leave the sweeper closing down a bloke on the ball with 2 of his teammates either side of him screaming for a through ball

ExtraTime
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by ExtraTime »

El Paso del Norte wrote:
bloodypassit wrote:Get Back !!!!!! To the adventurous defender that goes for a wander and forgetting what his role is
or it could be the sweeper who is talking to his lazy faaaarken midfielders who have more than enough energy going forward to score the faaarken glory goal, but when they lose it, leave the sweeper closing down a bloke on the ball with 2 of his teammates either side of him screaming for a through ball
True!!!

Paleon Patros Germanos
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Paleon Patros Germanos »

I often tell my defenders to "Stand tall" and "Half a touch"
Agia Lavra 1821!

sephiroth
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by sephiroth »

"in the carpark"
"get stuck in"

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Paleon Patros Germanos wrote:I often tell my defenders to "Stand tall" and "Half a touch"
This wasn't about "shower talk" :wink:

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

"if you need!"

usually called out by a desperate player who hasn't had a touch for 30 minutes, usually to the team hog.

sad situation all round really

Jonesy5
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Jonesy5 »

The demanding striker who is stood behind his man shouting "to my feet"

Happy Death Men
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Happy Death Men »

How is he? from the defending team every time the ball is pumped forward
Happy Death Men stand in lines

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

El Paso del Norte wrote:
Happens way to often for my liking :lol:

Paleon Patros Germanos
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Paleon Patros Germanos »

swannsong wrote:
Paleon Patros Germanos wrote:I often tell my defenders to "Stand tall" and "Half a touch"
:shock:

Brings new meaning to keeping your feet and not diving in.
Agia Lavra 1821!

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Paleon Patros Germanos wrote:
swannsong wrote:
:shock:

Brings new meaning to keeping your feet and not diving in.
refer to hazara thread for further puns

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=68269

Rob Lozza
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Rob Lozza »

"Where's the f-shiraz midfield!?"

Outlaw 2.0
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Outlaw 2.0 »

A couple of my favourites in there.......

would also like to see:

"get the ball on the deck"
Lets get the ball at our feet and stop playing it in the air as much

"give and go"
Pass me the ball with the assumption I will hold onto it until you have moved into a better position at which point I will give it back

"switch"
Coaches cringe at the sound of this with most central midfielders picking the ball up and disregarding the two fundamentals of playing in the middle of the park. It generally starts with a blind turn inside and then a million dollar sweeping ball to an isolated winger.

and my #1
"go on have one......"
25 yards out with a sight on goal...... why not try a shot on goal
HA'WAY THE LADS

Uníted We Stand
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Uníted We Stand »

ref iz cabernet 2day

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

"Stand on the keeper" - standard corner kick ploy.
"4, 4 no 5 gimme 5" - keeper stating up his wall.
"What game are you watching?" - directed at the referee.
"10 yards ref" - despite having a metric system

Rodent
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Rodent »

"Stand him up"... Was he laying down...??
"Don't jump in ".... We play on grass not in water. ...
Every Rat has his day !!

gone
Star Player
Star Player

Post by gone »

I'm quite partial to "keep your shape" from a central defender. Not directed at any particular player, as if every player is in the wrong position. Generally means they want the midfield to get back and do some defending, but results in most of the team looking about uncertainly, wondering if he means them.
Stirling District (est 1967) 32 seasons successfully avoiding a Championship then this
1999 Div 2 Champions
2002 Div 2 & 2B
2004 Div 1 & Champion of Champions
2007 Div 1 & 1B
2009 Div 1B
2011 Div 1B
2013 Div 2B & 7C
2014 Div 2B

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Brilliant, true & funny! Good topic to bring up, Mers.

Useful calls that I like are "take him on", which should be used more to encourage wingers/wide midfielders to get to the line for cut-backs rather than cross it from deep and hope for the best;

and "man on" when midfielders are serving a ball up to a forward (who hasn't got eyes at the back of his head & can't see a defender thundering down on him);

and of course, the call "turn" when playing a ball up to a forward who drops off the opposition defenders, and then knows he can receive it with his instep, turn 180 degrees in one action and run at them.

Miyuki
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Miyuki »

Skin 'im
As always deadlines to meet.