Lady reds

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

thewabster
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Lady reds

Post by thewabster »

snow white wrote:
gunners01 wrote:Yes couldn't agree more- obviously fitness is a HUGE issue and its sad 2 say we've only won games where the other team has 10 players and full of youngers (ntc) and a team fielding there reserve squad- does not look good on paper- have they improved since last year NO they have a long way 2 go- but only half way through the season so lets hope 4 improvement, would like 2 see Waterhouse and Ionnela get in the starting squad as these girls r talented :lol: :lol:
I actually disagree.

Firstly I think the team has made considerable improvement from the debacle of DE reign.

Last season the lady reds recorded the worst ever defensive result in the history of the league. This year has seen a sharp improvement.

4 months ago the fitness excuse was legitimate but I don't understand how after 4 months of intense training multiple times a week, why the players aren't now up to required levels?? 4 months under the right regime should be enough time to have gotten the players up and running, literally.

RA has the team well organized, especially given the team really didn't come together until September.

By sounds of it, victory dominated yesterday. I think conceding late goals is more the result of sustained pressure from the opposition rather than just a physical issue.

I've got no issue with playing to your strengths, but when u sit back deep in your own half, and play on tight on the counter, you need to be able to absorb alot of pressure. Even against 10 man Brisbane we sat back and it worked, but against the top teams with 11 players its obviously tough to do it successfully every game.

RA needs to be re-appointed now so the base of this team can be retained for next season. The usual huge turn over each year is a killer to the team. Personally, I would like to see more local content to the team, as I find it a bit hard to relate to the team, which is dominated by interstates and internationals, but getting respectable results is the first step in right direction. To ask anything more of RA upfront with limited preparation would be unreasonable.

RA is West Adelaide's coach don't forget, lets see how this season goes in terms of workability

snow white
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by snow white »

thewabster wrote:
snow white wrote:
gunners01 wrote:Yes couldn't agree more- obviously fitness is a HUGE issue and its sad 2 say we've only won games where the other team has 10 players and full of youngers (ntc) and a team fielding there reserve squad- does not look good on paper- have they improved since last year NO they have a long way 2 go- but only half way through the season so lets hope 4 improvement, would like 2 see Waterhouse and Ionnela get in the starting squad as these girls r talented :lol: :lol:
I actually disagree.

Firstly I think the team has made considerable improvement from the debacle of DE reign.

Last season the lady reds recorded the worst ever defensive result in the history of the league. This year has seen a sharp improvement.

4 months ago the fitness excuse was legitimate but I don't understand how after 4 months of intense training multiple times a week, why the players aren't now up to required levels?? 4 months under the right regime should be enough time to have gotten the players up and running, literally.

RA has the team well organized, especially given the team really didn't come together until September.

By sounds of it, victory dominated yesterday. I think conceding late goals is more the result of sustained pressure from the opposition rather than just a physical issue.

I've got no issue with playing to your strengths, but when u sit back deep in your own half, and play on tight on the counter, you need to be able to absorb alot of pressure. Even against 10 man Brisbane we sat back and it worked, but against the top teams with 11 players its obviously tough to do it successfully every game.

RA needs to be re-appointed now so the base of this team can be retained for next season. The usual huge turn over each year is a killer to the team. Personally, I would like to see more local content to the team, as I find it a bit hard to relate to the team, which is dominated by interstates and internationals, but getting respectable results is the first step in right direction. To ask anything more of RA upfront with limited preparation would be unreasonable.

RA is West Adelaide's coach don't forget, lets see how this season goes in terms of workability
Hear you. hopefully with 5 assistants, and some good organizing and planning, RA can implement his coaching philosophy on the lady reds throughout the year and maintain his priority with west Adelaide.

I'd take RA in a part time capacity with others running a full time program on his behalf than have the likes if DE back holding the reigns.

snow white
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by snow white »

gunners01 wrote:Well obviously u must be from para-hills if u think the long ball is football, that's not FOOTBALL using all yr players INCLUDING MIDFIELD if u don't have 11 fit players u will not win, playing in yr own half is very dangerous don't see the logic in it, we don't create enough (APART FROM KRISTY) if girls cant perform for 90+ minutes they shouldn't be playing at this level - THIS IS W-LEAGUE not prems, Ross has been spoilt this season with bigger budgets his own team of coaches he doesn't have 2 answer 2 ffsa, DE didn't have this but he created more then we have this season, watch the games again, Ross coaches boring football :lol: 8) 8)
What exactly did DE 'create'???

Dead last, most goals conceded ever in a season, on the receiving end of some embarrassing shellackings and in terms of player development, two players from last year's side making this years starting 11 (not including Moore who was a 3 game guest player).

He left the local comp in disarray (albeit thats how he found it) and his non-existant and arrogant communication skills won few admirers, using the lady reds merely as a stepping stone for his own ambitions.

I seriously doubt RA is getting paid the same as DE and as a result more money is invested into the team, rather than someone who was looking to move on at the earliest opportunity.

We got destroyed by victory last year. This year, we came 5 mins from drawing away and victory have last years final making squad plus de vanna. Yep, DE working wonders down at victory too :)

Princess Fiona
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Princess Fiona »

gunners01 wrote:Well obviously u must be from para-hills if u think the long ball is football, that's not FOOTBALL using all yr players INCLUDING MIDFIELD if u don't have 11 fit players u will not win, playing in yr own half is very dangerous don't see the logic in it, we don't create enough (APART FROM KRISTY) if girls cant perform for 90+ minutes they shouldn't be playing at this level - THIS IS W-LEAGUE not prems, Ross has been spoilt this season with bigger budgets his own team of coaches he doesn't have 2 answer 2 ffsa, DE didn't have this but he created more then we have this season, watch the games again, Ross coaches boring football :lol: 8) 8)
Unkind to Para Hills!
Para Hills & JBx3 from all posts will be playing curriculum with play out from back, possession & attacking. There is NO WAY he'll have Para Hills playing long balls or 10 or 11 players sitting behind the ball in their own half. Even if it costs some results curriculum will come first I'm sure.

I think the main reason Lady Reds are playing in their own half is the opposition has the ball, have maintained possession and pinned them in own half its not by choice to be stuck there.

DE conceded 40 goals and finished last, not keen to see the Lady Reds go back there again.
Heard his post match interview yesterday when in second half Victory couldn't score most coaches would be making a change, using their bench but he said he just sat back and let them play.
Just goes to show having the budget to select great players can make a poor coach look ok, great players by default do the job.

thewabster
Star Player
Star Player

Post by thewabster »

Seems to an outside observer that RA has at least got them organised
They tend to break well, fitness I'm afraid is nit going to be where it should be for probably 12 mths away or more

When they get really fit then maybe they will win regularly

JBJBJB
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by JBJBJB »

Princess Fiona wrote:
Unkind to Para Hills!
Para Hills & JBx3 from all posts will be playing curriculum with play out from back, possession & attacking. There is NO WAY he'll have Para Hills playing long balls or 10 or 11 players sitting behind the ball in their own half. Even if it costs some results curriculum will come first I'm sure.

I think the main reason Lady Reds are playing in their own half is the opposition has the ball, have maintained possession and pinned them in own half its not by choice to be stuck there.

DE conceded 40 goals and finished last, not keen to see the Lady Reds go back there again.
Heard his post match interview yesterday when in second half Victory couldn't score most coaches would be making a change, using their bench but he said he just sat back and let them play.
Just goes to show having the budget to select great players can make a poor coach look ok, great players by default do the job.
gunners01 very unkind and untrue. FYI - all 5 teams will be playing and training using the FFA Curriculum.
You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Fuller

gunners01
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by gunners01 »

RA is only here for 1 season using the girls to further his, theres no difference in DE OR RA, none of them truly cared and showed passion for the Lady Reds :lol:

JBJBJB
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by JBJBJB »

Ray =Gunners ? you don't know this? and you make a lot of assumptions on the lady reds that don't make sense from previous years to now. All i can say and im sure most who have followed closely can say that this by far is their best season in 5 years and still with lots to improve on, RA has started a process as long it continues to improve we will see a change. We need to be patient and back the lady reds and help configure our prem league to improve our current base, with all coaches now C licence or better its a great opportunity to build the league into a better competition.
You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Fuller

QuantoQuesta
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by QuantoQuesta »

I must say, three SA players on the pitch is a joke. I cannot understand how some of these interstate players are playing ahead of Moni, izzy Hodgson, Scalzi, Waterhouse etc.. What is this doing to develop SA players and what is it going to do for the squad next year? There is no way these interstate players will come back!

I know we finished bottom in the last two years but at least we scored goals and tried to win games playing football and gave local players an opportunity...

I just don't know anymore? And I hear lots of miserable stories coming out of the squad? :(

gunners01
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by gunners01 »

Couldn't agree more, :x :x

thewabster
Star Player
Star Player

Post by thewabster »

QuantoQuesta wrote:I must say, three SA players on the pitch is a joke. I cannot understand how some of these interstate players are playing ahead of Moni, izzy Hodgson, Scalzi, Waterhouse etc.. What is this doing to develop SA players and what is it going to do for the squad next year? There is no way these interstate players will come back!

I know we finished bottom in the last two years but at least we scored goals and tried to win games playing football and gave local players an opportunity...

I just don't know anymore? And I hear lots of miserable stories coming out of the squad? :(
Well maybe you have a coaching staff now that does not concede control to players and their clique if playing mates!!!!

RA might have ruffled feathers but that's good. You can't have players believing they were brought up playing for Barcelona when they were actually playing like players brought up in the style of Barnstenworth.

AU women's team beat a team of internationals , narrowly were defeated by a Victory team that regularly used to annihilate them.

Watch the crowd at the next home game !!!!!

General Ashnak
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by General Ashnak »

As pure hearsay, it seems that this is the first year Lady Reds are not a season long means to go out partying. If that is what the problem is, long may it continue.
"The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that its not just about football."

- Terry Pratchett, Unseen Academicals

thewabster
Star Player
Star Player

Post by thewabster »

RA does not and will not tolerate players going out the night before.

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

thewabster wrote:RA does not and will not tolerate players going out the night before.
I'd say previous coaches were more relaxed on this

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Are you saying coaches condone going out the night before playing?

It's not Sunday amateurs FFA, I know MB didn't and I'm pretty sure DE wouldn't, IMO the general perpetration was at AU, The men's metro team took the game more seriously than the AU girls, the change rooms were a disco, mundane repetition that builds structure wasn't happening, I don't believe it was taken seriously as a national comp bar a few players.

I'm pretty sure Ross will have sorted that out, I'm sure he'd be copping some negative vibes about it too, but they are competitive and good on them.