Bobby Collins: former Celtic, Everton and Leeds player dies,

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

oldfart
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Bobby Collins: former Celtic, Everton and Leeds player dies,

Post by oldfart »

Bobby Collins: former Celtic, Everton and Leeds player dies, aged 82

Just 5ft 3in tall, Collins became known as "The Wee Barra" to Celtic fans during the 1950s.

He was sold to Everton for a club-record £23,500 in 1958 and present chairman Bill Kenwright says the Glaswegian helped transform the club.

Former team-mate Eddie Gray said he rated Collins as "the most influential player" in Leeds' history.

Having been signed by Don Revie for £25,000 in 1962, the Scot was pivotal, as captain, to their promotion to the old First Division.

Collins was named the English Football Writers' player of the year in 1965 as Leeds finished runners-up in both the league and FA Cup.

However, he suffered a serious injury the following season in a European tie and he subsequently moved on to play for Bury, Greenock Morton, Ringwood City, Melbourne Hakoah, Oldham Athletic and Shamrock Rovers.

Collins, who was capped 31 times for Scotland, also managed Huddersfield Town, Hull City and Barnsley, as well as having two spells coaching with Leeds.

"In my opinion, Bobby Collins was probably the most influential player in the history of Leeds United," Gray told Leeds' website.

Collins signed for Everton from Celtic for a club-record fee in 1958

"He will be sadly missed by all who knew him and played with him."

Collins made 167 appearances during his five-year stint at Elland Road, scoring 26 goals, having previously played 147 times for Everton, scoring 48 times.

Kenwright told Everton's website: "I am extremely saddened to hear of the death of one of my idols, Bobby Collins.

"Bobby was very much a part of Everton's life and helped transform the club from the minute he arrived at Goodison Park in 1958 as our record signing.

"He was pivotal and inspirational during his four seasons with the Blues and will never be forgotten by our fans and everyone at Everton Football Club."

A statement on Celtic's website said the club was saddened to hear the news that a man they considered a club legend had lost his long battle against illness.

Collins, from the Govanhill area of Glasgow, joined Celtic in August 1948, making his debut a year later in a 3-2 League Cup win over Rangers.

He went on to make a total of 320 appearances, scoring 116 goals, and enjoyed Scottish Cup and League Cup triumphs with the Parkhead club.

If any of you ever saw him play you would agree with Gray's comments - he was a Football Powerhouse with skills galore.
He was one of the last of the super skillful, tough as nails players that Scotland used to churn out on a regular basis.
Hardly an English club in those days didn't have at least four Scot's in their starting eleven.
FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

I used to be the Old Master but now I'm an Oldfart!

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Re: Bobby Collins: former Celtic, Everton and Leeds player d

Post by Bomber »

Shame he didnt have a spell at Man U, then he would have played at the 4 "british" teams I hate the most! :wink:

Looking at some of those dates, he may have been a team-mate with a regular at the local pub, an ex-Celtic player.
Ignore this signature

mushrow
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by mushrow »

Bomber wrote:Shame he didnt have a spell at Man U, then he would have played at the 4 "british" teams I hate the most! :wink:

Looking at some of those dates, he may have been a team-mate with a regular at the local pub, an ex-Celtic player.
What a pathetic post. A legend dies and this is all you can come up with. Gobshite of the highest order.
Dixie Dean was hailed by another Mersey legend, Liverpool’s Bill Shankly, as “belonging in the company of the supremely great, like Beethoven, Rembrandt and Shakespeare.”

60 goals, never to be equalled.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

RIP...
Remember the name fondly from the old (Charles Buchan's) Football Monthly magazine we would wait patiently for at the local newsagent :(

Last edited by swannsong on Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

mushrow wrote:
Bomber wrote:Shame he didnt have a spell at Man U, then he would have played at the 4 "british" teams I hate the most! :wink:

What a pathetic post. A legend dies and this is all you can come up with. Gobshite of the highest order.
There's a sale on "understanding sarcasm" books at the local book shop. You might want to get one and read it (as well as understand what a :wink: means around here). :roll:

Spoke with an ex-team mate of his last night. Sounded like one helluva gutsy player.
Ignore this signature

oldfart
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by oldfart »

swannsong wrote:RIP...
Remember the name fondly from the old (Charles Buchan's) Football Monthly magazine we would wait patiently for at the local newsagent :(

Now that brings back memories.

I remember waiting for the Newsagent. money jangling around in our pockets, to open along with a number of other kids to get our hands on the magazine.

We would hang around, flitting through the pages and excitedly calling out all the special news articles to each other and talking them over with our passion for news about the game that made our otherwise poverty-stricken lives worth living.

We would spend the previous month doing odd-jobs and errands for relatives and neighbours to ensure we could afford it every month.
FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

I used to be the Old Master but now I'm an Oldfart!

Hibs seven
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Hibs seven »

Remember having a Buchan's annual prob early 70's read it cover to cover almost everyday remember stories on Cyril knowles after he lost a child in a car accident and Emlyn Hughes.

Hibs seven
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Hibs seven »

Remember having a Buchan's annual prob early 70's read it cover to cover almost everyday remember stories on Cyril knowles after he lost a child in a car accident and Emlyn Hughes.