1D star to make Doncaster reserves debut

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

1D star to make Doncaster reserves debut

Post by Red-4-Life »

One Direction's Louis Tomlinson to make Doncaster Rovers debut

Championship side Doncaster Rovers say One Direction singer Louis Tomlinson will make his debut for their reserve side in the next month.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25870942

Nice PR stunt

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Re: 1D star to make Doncaster reserves debut

Post by God is an Englishman »

They sold a spot on the team to the highest bidder, he was the highest bidder.

Think how many teenage girls will turn up to watch donny reserves this month. My daughter even says she supports them.

Fact Hunt
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Fact Hunt »

God is an Englishman wrote:They sold a spot on the team to the highest bidder, he was the highest bidder.

Think how many teenage girls will turn up to watch donny reserves this month. My daughter even says she supports them.
She can't be a "real" fan though! :wink: :lol:

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Fact Hunt wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:They sold a spot on the team to the highest bidder, he was the highest bidder.

of course she's not, never seen them play, not from Doncaster or has any family from Doncaster.

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

In other headline news my second cousin is a part time physio with Doncaster Rovers.
Time for some righteous indignation

Dimitrios Ioannides
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Dimitrios Ioannides »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Fact Hunt wrote:
of course she's not, never seen them play, not from Doncaster or has any family from Doncaster.
Maybe she just likes teams that play in hoops.

oldfart
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by oldfart »

Mid-week Reserves Football in Doncaster on a freezing cold night, persisting down with rain/sleet, an ice cold gale blowing right through your thin clothing, mud so thick every time you try to run with the ball it gets stuck in the glug - that's a memory that wakes me up at night sometimes - and if those teenage girls go to a game like that they'll soon go off OD.
FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

I used to be the Old Master but now I'm an Oldfart!

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

oldfart wrote:

Mid-week Reserves Football in Doncaster on a freezing cold night, persisting down with rain/sleet, an ice cold gale blowing right through your thin clothing, mud so thick every time you try to run with the ball it gets stuck in the glug - that's a memory that wakes me up at night sometimes - and if those teenage girls go to a game like that they'll soon go off OD.

Reserves football is normally played during the day isn't it? I know Millwall reserves do anyway. Why pay for the floodlights to be on when no one's there?

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

oldfart wrote:

Reserves football is normally played during the day isn't it? I know Millwall reserves do anyway. Why pay for the floodlights to be on when no one's there?
I could be wrong, but I believe he is relaying his own experiences of that level.
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Black_Panther wrote:Reserves football is normally played during the day isn't it? I know Millwall reserves do anyway. Why pay for the floodlights to be on when no one's there?
I could be wrong, but I believe he is relaying his own experiences of that level.[/quote]

Yes, you could be wrong. I am also using my own experiences of that level.

oldfart
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by oldfart »

Black_Panther wrote:Reserves football is normally played during the day isn't it? I know Millwall reserves do anyway. Why pay for the floodlights to be on when no one's there?
I could be wrong, but I believe he is relaying his own experiences of that level.

Yes, you could be wrong. I am also using my own experiences of that level.[/quote]

Most Reserves games back in the Ice Age, when I played, were, as you say, played in the daytime, usually Tuesday or Thursday as mid-week 1st team games were played on Wednesday afternoons as up north it was half-day closing, but where travel was over a certain distance matches were played under flood lights - usually around 6.00 pm Kick-Off.

The lights in those days weren't much kop in the lower divisions so it could be a harrowing experience when the sleet was coming at you horizontally. :shock:
FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

I used to be the Old Master but now I'm an Oldfart!