Grey imports

Forum for the discussion of music, video and photography related topics

Moderators: adam, Forum Admins

PhilDunphy
Star Player
Star Player

Grey imports

Post by PhilDunphy »

does anyone have good/bad experiences with grey imports? camera lenses in particular

I bought my Nikon body locally at JB HIFI but have found that the lens I want is around $150 cheaper as a grey import (roughly $200 compared to $350) which is enticing to say the least.

adam
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Grey imports

Post by adam »

never had a problem... pretty much all i buy is grey

PhilDunphy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by PhilDunphy »

cheers adam...is there any particular place you buy through or would recommend?

adam
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by adam »

i have used DWI and Cameras Direct - but mostly eBay from anybody with a decent rating.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

My brother in law had a grey import eos camera that he had problems with after a year. If you do have problems you really dont have anywhere to turn. So you are playing the roulette wheel a little - if you have no problems then its all good.

I tend to buy all my stuff from a local shop. Work out what you can get it for (Australian stock prices - not grey import prices) and add a little margin for the shop handling and supporting the item and come up with a fair price. If I am paying $2.5k for an item I am happy to pay an extra $100 so that I have a local store I can take it back to if something goes wrong.

I typically use Wholesale Photographics in Hutt Street. But they can be hit and miss - owned by Diamond Photographics and it can depend on if you are served by one of the excellent long time staffers there and what mood they are in as to what price you can achieve. I have bought stuff from them many times but have also walked out when someone different has served me and they have refused to budge on their retail pricing - and just bought the item down the road at the price I wanted.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Like Adam, I have also used Ebay from reputable sellers. You can always ask them where the seller purchased the item from to check if its Australian or Grey Import stock.

adam
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by adam »

Photographic Wholesalers are not there any more... all at the one store now at Diamonds in Rundle Street.

PhilDunphy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by PhilDunphy »

cheers for the advice guys!

I ended up buying my lens grey and saved $150 in the process...should arrive in the next few days and hopefully works as its supposed to. I'll have to check eBay next time I shop around...completely slipped my mind!

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

adam wrote:Photographic Wholesalers are not there any more... all at the one store now at Diamonds in Rundle Street.
Doh!!!

There goes my favourite store.

adam
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by adam »

i was in there the other morning... and Diamonds have the Photographic Wholesaler staff... so still has that PW feel to the place...

It is more Photographic Wholesalers than it is Diamonds.

also handy as Ted's is sort of across the road, so good for price comparison.