Milan Ivanovic To Coach

This forum is for the discussion of general coaching topics. Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

FootballNews is not responsible for any of the comments posted in this forum and this forum is moderated.

Moderator: Forum Admins

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Milan Ivanovic To Coach

Post by MegaBonus »

Gleeson College in association with the FFSA through its FEBE program (Football Education Beyond Excellence Program) is proud to announce that Milan Ivanovic has committed to a weekly coaching session for the remainder of the year!!!

All the best Milan and Gleeson!!!

Gleeson College - 3 Joey Representatives, 1 Under 20 Aust, currently 5 players in the SASI squad with another 2 train on players and countless state reps!!!!!!!

Milan Ivanović (born 21 December 1960 in Sivac, then Yugoslavia, now Serbia) is a former captain of the Australian national football (soccer) team and after a long and storied career (71 caps, 59 "A" Internationals) became of one of its most capped players.

Nicknamed "The Surgeon" for his ability to cut out the opposition's attacks and launch into an incisive midfield run, the classy, composed sweeper started his career with Red Star Belgrade culminating in a European Champions Cup encounter against A.C. Milan.

After stints with OFK Belgrade and Radnički NiÅ¡, he emigrated to Australia and on arrival in 1989 he joined Adelaide City in the National Soccer League where he formed a formidable partnership with Alex Tobin that became the mainstay of the Adelaide City and Socceroo defence that resulted in two national titles in 1991/2 and 1993/4, cementing his legendary status.

But perhaps he will best be remembered for a game he didn't play in, the World Cup qualfying match against Iran in 1997. Having secured a 1-1 draw in the first leg Iran, the Socceroos were leading 2-0 late into the return match when Iran scored 2 goals in quick succession, allowing them to qualify for the World Cup on the away-goals rule.

Many people believe that had Ivanovic been playing, the Socceroos would have qualified instead.
Last edited by MegaBonus on Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Greek
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Golden Greek »

Milan is a great coach if you listen to him. i know he speaks in broken english but has many valuable things they young players can learn off of.

i was coached by him in my junior days and highly recommend him to junior football players.

BillShankly
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BillShankly »

Can you tell us more about the FEBE program MegaBonus?

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

im happy to reply to a 'pm'

cheers

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

i should have also mentioned that both sam miskelly and matt nichols are also heavily involved in the delivery of the program!!!!!

Gowzer
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Gowzer »

Good to see a local school trying to make a difference!!This school seems to have a lot of good players comin through....would love to see their lunch time soccer games!!!! They have some record with how many players in different types of squads! intrested in who the 3 joeys representives and Under 20 players r??
George Best-
“If I had to choose between dribbling past 5 players and scoring from 40 yards at Anfield or shagging Miss World,it’d be a hard choice.Thankfully,I’ve done both.â€￾
True Legend

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

r mcgowan, m mullen and n crossley

Gowzer
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Gowzer »

did all of them attend ur school megabonus!!

must of had some school team......
George Best-
“If I had to choose between dribbling past 5 players and scoring from 40 yards at Anfield or shagging Miss World,it’d be a hard choice.Thankfully,I’ve done both.â€￾
True Legend

povman_2009
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by povman_2009 »

What a coup for a school football programme to have a great person like Milan involved. Good on you Gleeson, hopefully more "football-schools" will spring up across the state....

Fred Goldstone
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Fred Goldstone »

Milan is a great person for kids to look up to and is a good coach for them to learn from - as long as they listen.

He has been there and done it all and is still the best ever 'import' to the Australian game.

Great to see my old mate Sam Miskelly still plugging away trying to get the message across. Good on you Sam.
FOOTBALL IS LIFE - The Rest Is Just Details