Where is SAASL heading..

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Re: Where is SAASL heading..

Post by God is an Englishman »

Bomber wrote:I didn't say they were, but fact is that there was a clear disparity in quality over a long period of time. Some years passing doesn't automatically change that.
When Steua Bucharest won the European Cup, did that make Rumanian league better than Bundesliga?
I thought the comparison was saasl and ffsa, you've basically said - well Liverpool are better.

It would mean that bucharest were a better side but not a better league. Surely some longevity is required to make that judgement.

What is this rumanian league by the way, do you mean romanian?

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Elizabeth Downs lost 0-2 to Azzurri around 1985....we were struggling in Dvision 1 and Azzurri were fairly high up in the SASF Division 1 at the time....Donald Campbell was referee.
I also remember Elizabeth Thistle losing 1-14 to Hellas sometime in the 70s and Elizabeth Vale losing 4-1 to Hellas in the SASF cup around the same time...
Last edited by swannsong on Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

God is an Englishman wrote:
Bomber wrote:I didn't say they were, but fact is that there was a clear disparity in quality over a long period of time. Some years passing doesn't automatically change that.
When Steua Bucharest won the European Cup, did that make Rumanian league better than Bundesliga?
I thought the comparison was saasl and ffsa, you've basically said - well Liverpool are better.

It would mean that bucharest were a better side but not a better league. Surely some longevity is required to make that judgement.

There was longevity when SAASL was allowed to compete for the Fed Cup. None of them won it, so it's good enough proof which league is better.
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:

There was longevity when SAASL was allowed to compete for the Fed Cup. None of them won it, so it's good enough proof which league is better.
Are they currently allowed to compete in it?

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

No, relevance? Suddenly a few years pass and you think the SAASL could be classed as superior? :lol:
Ignore this signature

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Bomber wrote:

There are also a heap of SASF and FFSA teams that have never won the SASF or FFSA Cups...
I think that current SAASL sides might be more competitive but FFSA might have the upper hand in fitness...would be interesting if their paths could cross....currently can't even play friendlies without risking a fine or other sanctions !
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

jim.mcguinness
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jim.mcguinness »

interesting to see some of the fed clubs being beaten by collegiate in the pre season cups and friendlies , maybe they should scrap the feds and everybody play collegiate?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:No, relevance? Suddenly a few years pass and you think the SAASL could be classed as superior? :lol:
Never said they could be classed as superior, however a few years can make a lot of difference.

What I said, was that you can't prove that the FFSA is superior. It is merely an opinion.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

GIAE is right, this throws a cloud over Barca's World Club Cup win also.

Hawked you I know you love to argue for the sake of arguing but this really is putting you into JD territory.

redfred
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by redfred »

remember the cove making the quarter finals of the fed cup and had a league game the following day. if I remember rightly they played their reserve side in cup quarters and lost 3-2? to Croatia?
"The trouble with referees , they know the rules , but they don't know the game." Bill Shankly

haywood djablowme
Star Player
Star Player

Post by haywood djablowme »

Bomber wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote: I assume it's None because they are not allowed in the federation cup.

How many SAASL cups have been won by federation teams?
Ahh, but they used to play in it under the previous fed admin - wasn't compulsory but many entered. Whilst no doubt there was the odd cup tie win to an SAASL side, getting anywhere close to winning it was laughable. Whyalla Croatia playing in Spencer Gulf league (what ever they call it) came close a couple times in late 60's or early 70's from memory.

Have feds ever been invited to play in SAASL cup?
Bomber I played 2 times for a SAASL club in the Fed Cup - once for Modbury Jets v Port Lion & for Parafield Gardens v Campbelltown. The issue was that we had to play on the Saturday in the Fed Cup then back it up the next day for a SAASL league game.. due to this I know this put alot of SAASL teams off nominating! I know nobody got close to winning it, & rightly so, but unfortunately it was not an even playing field for amatuer teams to give it a good crack

I believe now days alot of SAASL teams would like the opportunity to compete in the Fed Cup but as discussed unfortunately this won't happen anytime soon
SAASL SUNDAY PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPION 2010 2011
SAASL CHALLENGE CUP WINNER 2008 2010 2011
SAASL CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS WINNER 2010
SAASL CICHANOWSKI SHIELD WINNER 2009 2011 2012

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

paul merson wrote:GIAE is right, this throws a cloud over Barca's World Club Cup win also.

Hawked you I know you love to argue for the sake of arguing but this really is putting you into JD territory.

Whilst the principle is the same I am not going to claim that a SAASL side could beat Barcelona as that would just be silly.

It's not too far of a stretch to suggest that a SAASL team could beat a fair few of the SA PL teams.

redfred
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by redfred »

Lower state league 1
"The trouble with referees , they know the rules , but they don't know the game." Bill Shankly

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

paul merson wrote:GIAE is right, this throws a cloud over Barca's World Club Cup win also.

Whilst the principle is the same I am not going to claim that a SAASL side could beat Barcelona as that would just be silly.

It's not too far of a stretch to suggest that a SAASL team could beat a fair few of the SA PL teams.
But you're questioning the NPL winner not being the best, so you are questing the top NPL sides not a 'fair few teams'.

Leagues find the best team and no way could even a SAASL state team finish top of the NPL.

PASC
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by PASC »

PASC wrote: Metro won a national NPL title ... that just about proves it i think
All that proves is that they were the best team under the FFA umbrella.

National NPL, is that like an ATM Machine?
Nah, it's more like an Automatic ATM :lol:
God is an Englishman wrote: As for me being a tosser on this forum, it's not just on the forum. I'm a tosser in real life as well.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

paul merson wrote:

But you're questioning the NPL winner not being the best, so you are questing the top NPL sides not a 'fair few teams'.

Leagues find the best team and no way could even a SAASL state team finish top of the NPL.
Can you prove that ?

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

a few years can make a lot of difference.
Surely some longevity is required to make that judgement.
Make up your mind.

End of day, its not really something that needs proof or otherwise - general knowledge goes a long way
Ignore this signature

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

paul merson wrote:

Can you prove that ?
And that's my point from the beginning, you just argue everything for the sake of it, or should I just right off your football opinion?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Feel free to go off my football opinion.

Facts are simple though, the bloke earlier wanted to make a point that the amateur league winners are only the amateur league winners. We'll surely the FFSA winners are only the FFSA winners.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

God is an Englishman wrote:Feel free to go off my football opinion.

Facts are simple though, the bloke earlier wanted to make a point that the amateur league winners are only the amateur league winners. We'll surely the FFSA winners are only the FFSA winners.

...... of the premier football league in this state
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:

Who says it's the premier football league? Can you prove that?

Tzon
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Tzon »

Shoot goal

This is turning into an interesting debate eg comparing say SAASL and NPL etc etc.
For starters you are not comparing apples v apples scenarios.
I have seen in the past NSL players play SAASL and looking ordinary .
You might say why because they do not get ball to feet and have to work hard to get the ball as one example .
But I will say this any good SAASL player that plays amongst similar skilled players , trains like the pros, does not go out on a Saturday for a drink, etc etc is just as good as NPL players .
That is the difference similar players around, training the same and not playing on a Sunday after a Saturday boozer.
That is why SAASL can be seen as a lower standard than NPL .
It is a Sunday more relaxed league but just as tuff to play in.

I have heard many a time from a SAASL coach saying part quote " the players are bit off they went out last night"

spooky1972
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by spooky1972 »

Bomber wrote:

maybe then what about now?

Tzon
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Tzon »

Shoot goal

Comparing the two competitions is not the right way about it.
They are both kosher just leagues to play in.
Good players in both leagues can earn $&$'s
And players play in them for different reasons.
In the old days good amateur players were picked up to play in the sasf leagues.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Bomber wrote:

Who says it's the premier football league? Can you prove that?
Ask anyone with half a brain. Anyone who thinks otherwise has shit for brains to put in mildly. Feel free to put yourself into that category if "proof" isn't exactly presented into your lap.
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Can you prove it though? So far, all you're offering is opinion.

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brian the Postman »

God is an Englishman wrote:Can you prove it though? So far, all you're offering is opinion.
Hawkesy, can you prove that Millwall could beat Adelaide United?
It's all in the Delivery!

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Brian the Postman wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:Can you prove it though? So far, all you're offering is opinion.
Hawkesy, can you prove that Millwall could beat Adelaide United?
No, it's just my opinion.

PASC
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by PASC »

i can but i don't want to
God is an Englishman wrote: As for me being a tosser on this forum, it's not just on the forum. I'm a tosser in real life as well.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

PASC wrote:
i can but i don't want to
:lol: