World Cup 2018

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Bomber »

zzz wrote:
Allez Allez Allez wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:No, both have failed.
Not sure Aus failed, they got what was expected. You always hope for better but they met expectations.
A downward performance trajectory over the past 12 years is what the FFA and Australia expected?
Tell me how it can be possible that every country that enters WC qualifiers can improve?

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that the 2006 team, which included virtually all starting players regularly playing in the top leagues across Europe, weren't going to be out-performed by a bunch playing a majority of second tier football (Mooy and Ryan exceptions).

I predicted they'd get a point at best, albeit v Peru in most likelihood, so overall they met my expectations.
Ignore this signature

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

Bomber wrote:
zzz wrote:
Allez Allez Allez wrote:
Not sure Aus failed, they got what was expected. You always hope for better but they met expectations.
A downward performance trajectory over the past 12 years is what the FFA and Australia expected?
Tell me how it can be possible that every country that enters WC qualifiers can improve?

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that the 2006 team, which included virtually all starting players regularly playing in the top leagues across Europe, weren't going to be out-performed by a bunch playing a majority of second tier football (Mooy and Ryan exceptions).

I predicted they'd get a point at best, albeit v Peru in most likelihood, so overall they met my expectations.
And over 4 years, it's an upward trajectory!

zzz
Star Player
Star Player

Post by zzz »

Bomber wrote:
zzz wrote:
Allez Allez Allez wrote: Not sure Aus failed, they got what was expected. You always hope for better but they met expectations.

So tell me why aren't all their current starting players now regularly playing in top leagues across Europe?

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

Brilliant result for England. Nearly the entire team rested and now on the good side of the draw. Brazil v Belgium will be tasty

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

zzz wrote:
So tell me why aren't all their current starting players now regularly playing in top leagues across Europe?
Because there are probably better alternatives. Add that the current "experts" here think that training a particular "style" is somehow beneficial to a player's development. All they are producing are robots which filter through to the A-League and thus making it a league that many top overseas clubs will overlook as the damage has been done.
Ignore this signature

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

magnet

Brilliant result for England. Nearly the entire team rested and now on the good side of the draw. Brazil v Belgium will be tasty
that makes England favourites to win it all.....smashing powerhouses like Tunisia & Panama, losing to a second sting Belgium, running away and avoiding Japan (phew!!) and resting key players....

omens are good.....Football is going home...
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

According to my scientific calculations. The next world cup should have this break down of teams.

Oceania: 0.33
South America: 8
North America: 2
Asia: 2.33
Africa: 0.33
Europe: 19

Arfa Fuxake
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Arfa Fuxake »

The maths will be easier if you wait until the final.
You can lead a horse to water but they are bloody hard to drown.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Arfa Fuxake wrote:The maths will be easier if you wait until the final.
I have taken it solely on teams that made it out of their group whilst still allowing opportunities for other confederations to have some representation.

C U Next Saturday
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by C U Next Saturday »

MegaBonus wrote:
magnet

that makes England favourites to win it all.....smashing powerhouses like Tunisia & Panama, losing to a second sting Belgium, running away and avoiding Japan (phew!!) and resting key players....

more chance than greece and italy

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

MegaBonus wrote:
magnet

that makes England favourites to win it all.....smashing powerhouses like Tunisia & Panama, England's second string losing to a second sting Belgium, running away and avoiding Japan (phew!!) and resting key players....

Just a slight edit. Rather be in England's position that Italy's, Netherlands', Australia's, Germany's...

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

God is an Englishman wrote:According to my scientific calculations. The next world cup should have this break down of teams.

80% of Sth American confederation teams then? Why bother with play-offs and just tell Venezuala and Bolivia they're out.
Ignore this signature

OldGold
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by OldGold »

eagleboy wrote:At the end of the day Germany ended bottom of their group just as the Socceroos. That's how the game goes. So much for the negativity.
Difference being last tournament Germany went home champions and Australia finished.... ummmmmm ... bottom.

For all the talk of Australia being brave and dominating in their 3 games , did the opposition goalies actually have a save to make? ... some of the ratings of players by David Davutovic in the advertiser were laughable.... " Ryan the best keeper in the tournament"majority of players given A or B ratings.

Only players to come out with improved reputation are Leckie, Behich, Sainsbury and Arzani.

Good to see England having the smarts to finish 2nd and get the easier side of the draw.... ( no doubt lose to Colombia on pens next round!)
"United were good... but they still weren't Wolves!" George Best

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:According to my scientific calculations. The next world cup should have this break down of teams.

80% of Sth American confederation teams then? Why bother with play-offs and just tell Venezuala and Bolivia they're out.
Well they did have the highest percentage of teams making it through the group with 80%.

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

OldGold wrote:
eagleboy wrote:At the end of the day Germany ended bottom of their group just as the Socceroos. That's how the game goes. So much for the negativity.
Difference being last tournament Germany went home champions and Australia finished.... ummmmmm ... bottom.

For all the talk of Australia being brave and dominating in their 3 games , did the opposition goalies actually have a save to make? ... some of the ratings of players by David Davutovic in the advertiser were laughable.... " Ryan the best keeper in the tournament"majority of players given A or B ratings.

Only players to come out with improved reputation are Leckie, Behich, Sainsbury and Arzani.

Good to see England having the smarts to finish 2nd and get the easier side of the draw.... ( no doubt lose to Colombia on pens next round!)
Think of Germany's trajectory though....

zzz
Star Player
Star Player

Post by zzz »

Bomber wrote:
zzz wrote:
Because there are probably better alternatives. Add that the current "experts" here think that training a particular "style" is somehow beneficial to a player's development. All they are producing are robots which filter through to the A-League and thus making it a league that many top overseas clubs will overlook as the damage has been done.
I agree with this, but it goes further. The imperfect infrastructure and culture which previously produced semi decent players has since been dismantled.

zzz
Star Player
Star Player

Post by zzz »

Slinky_Pete wrote:
OldGold wrote:

Think of Germany's trajectory though....
You will need to wait 3 more world cups to provide a relative assessment.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

zzz wrote:
Bomber wrote:
zzz wrote:
I agree with this, but it goes further. The imperfect infrastructure and culture which previously produced semi decent players has since been dismantled.
You tend to get that when non-football people basically run the game.
Ignore this signature

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

so tell us about the good times when football people ran the game....
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by GaylyColouredStumps »

Bomber wrote:
zzz wrote:
Bomber wrote: Because there are probably better alternatives. Add that the current "experts" here think that training a particular "style" is somehow beneficial to a player's development. All they are producing are robots which filter through to the A-League and thus making it a league that many top overseas clubs will overlook as the damage has been done.
You tend to get that when non-football people basically run the game.
You are both wrong.

We would be even worse if we left it as it was. You should be thankful we have so many visionaries in Australia now.
These users thanked the author Sunny Vanilla for the post:
Old Master, johndedes, theorakle, ozzie owl, suzie, thewabster, Za Dom Spremni

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

MegaBonus wrote:so tell us about the good times when football people ran the game....
Australian football peaked with the 2006 world cup generation.

A product of the pre a league / pre Dutch PowerPoint development system / pre junior coaching scholars of today

The following world cups rode on the coat tails of that development. It has been slipping since.

We are told that we had a terrible archaic system back then and we are much more enlightened now.

The results, and quality on the park at a league and national level, would suggest otherwise

The counter argument to this unfortunately, is "so you want to go back to long balls"

That's the level of debate we are at in this country. Can't question our structure and vision because there's no better way.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

silly me.....I thought you were going to mention the 1974-2006 era....

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

MegaBonus wrote:silly me.....I thought you were going to mention the 1974-2006 era....
So with all our better thinking, why is the quality of player we are producing getting worse?

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

who says its getting worse....it might be getting better but not at the same rate as those in other countries....

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

MegaBonus wrote:who says its getting worse....it might be getting better but not at the same rate as those in other countries....
:lol:

This battle can't be won. Like I said, there's no point debating because there is no better way.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

is that your way of admitting that you cant make an argument without the use of anecdotal opinion. care to back up your assumptions with facts???

OK...heres my anecdotal opinion....having been involved in the game for over 40 years, I believe I'm seeing more skilful and better tactically aware youth players than ever before.

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

MegaBonus wrote:is that your way of admitting that you cant make an argument without the use of anecdotal opinion. care to back up your assumptions with facts???

OK...heres my anecdotal opinion....having been involved in the game for over 40 years, I believe I'm seeing more skilful and better tactically aware youth players than ever before.
Ok, and it's just that all other countries are progressing even quicker, is that correct?

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

yes...its one possibility....but the idea that 'new football' has ruined the game as opposed to what 'old soccer' achieved is ridiculous.

we need to acknowledge the past and take the positive elements from it but also look at how modern teaching methodologies can be applied to coaching....lets look at worlds best practices....if anything I can honestly say that the majority of my youth coaches had a basic understanding of the game and many who went on and played at a reasonable level did so in spite of them.

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

MegaBonus wrote:yes...its one possibility....but the idea that 'new football' has ruined the game as opposed to what 'old soccer' achieved is ridiculous.

we need to acknowledge the past and take the positive elements from it but also look at how modern teaching methodologies can be applied to coaching....lets look at worlds best practices....if anything I can honestly say that the majority of my youth coaches had a basic understanding of the game and many who went on and played at a reasonable level did so in spite of them.
So what is missing from the equation that makes us not develop as far as other countries have?

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

how many possible reasons do you want???