World Cup 2018

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by GaylyColouredStumps »

MegaBonus wrote:how many possible reasons do you want???
I'm after the reasons why other countries are developing faster.

So do you think the likes of mooy, rogic, Leckie and Ryan are technically superior to Viduka, Kewell, bresciano and Schwarzer?

They are just playing against even further advanced opposition?
These users thanked the author Sunny Vanilla for the post:
Old Master, johndedes, theorakle, ozzie owl, suzie, thewabster, Za Dom Spremni

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Sunny Vanilla wrote:
MegaBonus wrote:yes...its one possibility....but the idea that 'new football' has ruined the game as opposed to what 'old soccer' achieved is ridiculous.

we need to acknowledge the past and take the positive elements from it but also look at how modern teaching methodologies can be applied to coaching....lets look at worlds best practices....if anything I can honestly say that the majority of my youth coaches had a basic understanding of the game and many who went on and played at a reasonable level did so in spite of them.
So what is missing from the equation that makes us not develop as far as other countries have?

The major problem we have that few others, apart from the US, have to deal with is three other major codes. afl, NRL and Union that dominate the consciousness of the media, government and the public, plus Cricket and a growing Basketball interest.

That plus the constant bickering between the pro and anti Ethnic groups and the FFA's incompetence.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

zzz
Star Player
Star Player

Post by zzz »

Old Master wrote:
Sunny Vanilla wrote:
MegaBonus wrote:yes...its one possibility....but the idea that 'new football' has ruined the game as opposed to what 'old soccer' achieved is ridiculous.

we need to acknowledge the past and take the positive elements from it but also look at how modern teaching methodologies can be applied to coaching....lets look at worlds best practices....if anything I can honestly say that the majority of my youth coaches had a basic understanding of the game and many who went on and played at a reasonable level did so in spite of them.
So what is missing from the equation that makes us not develop as far as other countries have?

The major problem we have that few others, apart from the US, have to deal with is three other major codes. afl, NRL and Union that dominate the consciousness of the media, government and the public, plus Cricket and a growing Basketball interest.

That plus the constant bickering between the pro and anti Ethnic groups and the FFA's incompetence.
all of those things existed prior to 2005 apart from the FFA

Scholes
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Scholes »

[quote="MegaBonus"]is that your way of admitting that you cant make an argument without the use of anecdotal opinion. care to back up your assumptions with facts???

OK...heres my anecdotal opinion....having been involved in the game for over 40 years, I believe I'm seeing more skilful and better tactically aware youth players than ever before.[/quote]
Yes, my grandmother was involved in motoring ( as a passenger ) for 50 years, but she still couldn't drive.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

MegaBonus wrote:is that your way of admitting that you cant make an argument without the use of anecdotal opinion. care to back up your assumptions with facts???

OK...heres my anecdotal opinion....having been involved in the game for over 40 years, I believe I'm seeing more skilful and better tactically aware youth players than ever before.
Probably you're seeing more of them and the overall standard is improving, but there seem to be very few 'maverick' players that don't conform, but are exceptional. The 'system' seems to stop them developing and turns everyone into clones, all doing the thing. Then, when one does come along like Arzani, we only use him as a substitute, probably because he does the unexpected and that unsettles coaches.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

zzz
Star Player
Star Player

Post by zzz »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
MegaBonus wrote:is that your way of admitting that you cant make an argument without the use of anecdotal opinion. care to back up your assumptions with facts???

OK...heres my anecdotal opinion....having been involved in the game for over 40 years, I believe I'm seeing more skilful and better tactically aware youth players than ever before.
Probably you're seeing more of them and the overall standard is improving, but there seem to be very few 'maverick' players that don't conform, but are exceptional. The 'system' seems to stop them developing and turns everyone into clones, all doing the thing. Then, when one does come along like Arzani, we only use him as a substitute, probably because he does the unexpected and that unsettles coaches.
Arzani is a product of Iranian streetball culture. Nothing the new Aussie 'system' is responsible for.

Cornuto
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Cornuto »

Arzani is a product of Iranian streetball culture. Nothing the new Aussie 'system' is responsible for.[/quote]

+1. Well said zzz

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Everything is handed to Aussie kids on a plate these days so they never have to work hard to be rewarded like kids overseas.

If they possess anything around average natural ability they can progress through the levels with little or no effort and rarely get extended or put under pressure.

It's not their fault but it is the fault of the FFA and it's predecessors who have always pursued the ideal of quantity over quality just to feather their own nests and gain power.

What we should be doing is making it harder for kids to progress unless they are really good at all aspects of their game.

That means reducing the number of semi-pro clubs where players of limited can still earn money to play at clubs with limited aspirations other than just existing.

Most of the Aussie players that have made it overseas have done so more through their own desire and toughness and willingness to put in the hard yards than anything the FFA have done for them - in fact most of them have done so despite what the national & state associations have done for them.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

Old Master wrote:Everything is handed to Aussie kids on a plate these days so they never have to work hard to be rewarded like kids overseas.

If they possess anything around average natural ability they can progress through the levels with little or no effort and rarely get extended or put under pressure.

It's not their fault but it is the fault of the FFA and it's predecessors who have always pursued the ideal of quantity over quality just to feather their own nests and gain power.

What we should be doing is making it harder for kids to progress unless they are really good at all aspects of their game.

That means reducing the number of semi-pro clubs where players of limited can still earn money to play at clubs with limited aspirations other than just existing.

Most of the Aussie players that have made it overseas have done so more through their own desire and toughness and willingness to put in the hard yards than anything the FFA have done for them - in fact most of them have done so despite what the national & state associations have done for them.
one word to that - bollocks

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Allez Allez Allez wrote:
Old Master wrote:Everything is handed to Aussie kids on a plate these days so they never have to work hard to be rewarded like kids overseas.

one word to that - bollocks
The older you get, the less you know.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

zzz wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:

Arzani is a product of Iranian streetball culture. Nothing the new Aussie 'system' is responsible for.
That's what I'm saying. I've always wondered if this slavish adherence to a 'curriculum' actually acts as a brake on the really talented individuals. Not everyone has to play the same way.
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

zzz
Star Player
Star Player

Post by zzz »

Nice One Cyril wrote: That's what I'm saying. I've always wondered if this slavish adherence to a 'curriculum' actually acts as a brake on the really talented individuals. Not everyone has to play the same way.
Its the Australian way.

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Former World & Euro champion Spain sucked in by host Russia to a 120-minute game, despite all their possession.

1-1 and lost on penalties after extra time. Good to see 4th substitutes introduced for the first time in the World Cup during extra time to inject more leg speed into exhausted teams.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Great day of football and wow, how lucky were Croatia? A big party at Gepps X I think.

And why didn't the Danish defender see red? If that wasn't a DOGSO, I don't know what is.
Danny Blanchflower

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by GaylyColouredStumps »

Nice One Cyril wrote:Great day of football and wow, how lucky were Croatia? A big party at Gepps X I think.

And why didn't the Danish defender see red? If that wasn't a DOGSO, I don't know what is.
Sucked in to Schmeichel, what a chardonnay
These users thanked the author Sunny Vanilla for the post:
Old Master, johndedes, theorakle, ozzie owl, suzie, thewabster, Za Dom Spremni

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

All that passing and possession worked well for Spain :lol:

Frank Costanza
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Frank Costanza »

Sunny Vanilla wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:Great day of football and wow, how lucky were Croatia? A big party at Gepps X I think.

What's the current rule for GK's jumping off their line before the penalty was taken??
We saw an incident during the NPL grand final last year which completely changed the game (but luckily not the final result)
WHO TOOK MY TV GUIDE???

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Frank Costanza wrote:
Sunny Vanilla wrote:

What's the current rule for GK's jumping off their line before the penalty was taken??
We saw an incident during the NPL grand final last year which completely changed the game (but luckily not the final result)
You can be booked for coming off your line, normally you'll get a warning first.

Also happened during a junior world cup?? about a month ago as well.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Isn't it the double/triple whammy thing?

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Con M wrote:Former World & Euro champion Spain sucked in by host Russia to a 120-minute game, despite all their possession.

1-1 and lost on penalties after extra time. Good to see 4th substitutes introduced for the first time in the World Cup during extra time to inject more leg speed into exhausted teams.
I think Gombau sent them a tape of how he transformed AU and they need to play that game style. How could any side have that much possession and barely have a shot on goal. :evil:

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Allez Allez Allez wrote:

Yep. But Not Nice Cyril doesn’t like that commonsense thing applied.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

God is an Englishman wrote:All that passing and possession worked well for Spain :lol:
Poetic :)
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Russia
Croatia
Sweden
Switzerland
Columbia
England

One of them is going to be in the World Cup Final. Pretty sure no one would have predicted that.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Before anyone gets all excited, I don't think it will happen

BUT

this is England's best chance to ever win a world cup now. We will now lose to Columbia, probably on penalties.

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brian the Postman »

I don't know if I can agree with that on a grass roots/semi-pro level.

The basic skills of the run of the mill player is pretty poor now. There may be a lot more flashy type players but I wouldn't say overall skill is improved.

Tactically I think a lot of players make more mistakes as they are all coached in one way (bearing in mind the curriculum has been around for 10-11 years so most players now have come through that) and don't have the experience/tools to deal with changes in the game.
It's all in the Delivery!

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brian the Postman »

zzz wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:

He has been here since he was was 7-8 and been through the development system (ie ITC and AIS). If you are suggesting that 10+ years of coaching has nothing to do with someones development I would have to disagree.
It's all in the Delivery!

General Tony Cash
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by General Tony Cash »

Not sure what was so great about it...more disappointment with the way Croatia played, and relief they snuck into the next round rather than major celebrating. Was a terrible game to watch.

Love making life difficult for ourselves...

Clem Fandango
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Clem Fandango »

Brian the Postman wrote:
zzz wrote:Arzani is a product of Iranian streetball culture. Nothing the new Aussie 'system' is responsible for.
He has been here since he was was 7-8 and been through the development system (ie ITC and AIS). If you are suggesting that 10+ years of coaching has nothing to do with someones development I would have to disagree.
zzz and cornetto owned yet again.

What a pair of Know Nothing Nigels :P
Grosso, can you hear me?

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

General Tony Cash wrote:

Not sure what was so great about it...more disappointment with the way Croatia played, and relief they snuck into the next round rather than major celebrating. Was a terrible game to watch.

Love making life difficult for ourselves...
Sometimes that's what you need - that game where you don't play so well but get through anyway. You can only improve (you would think).
Ignore this signature

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Con M wrote:
Allez Allez Allez wrote:

Yep. But Not Nice Cyril doesn’t like that commonsense thing applied.
IFAB's rules, not mine. It's a yellow card unless (amongst other things)
The offending player does not attempt to play the ball or there is no possibility for the player making the challenge to play the ball
IMO, the defender had zero chance of playing the ball as he was well behind and simply hacked the forward. Since it would have been an open goal, having already gone round the keeper, that should be red.

If he's going away from goal or at some ridiculous angle, fair enough, give him a yellow.
Danny Blanchflower