Liverpool

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Liverpool

Post by Victoria's Secret »

haywood djablowme wrote:
The Normal One. wrote:
eagleboy wrote:The season will be called off and MC as holders will be awarded the title. :D

According the daily telegraph if season isn’t complete Liverpool get crowned champions.

Are the daily telegraph the governing body??

I am not saying it’s accurate, I haven’t read the whole article as it’s behind a paywall. But if they say the PL have said etc, then it’s as factual as watching any news outlet.

Inoue Waka
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Inoue Waka »

They just used what happened in Chile to come to that conclusion, ie. that Chile awarded the title to a club despite the season not being finished after abanadoning it after all the riots.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

If Liverpool are awarded the title ,does this also mean the bottom 3 teams ATM are relegated. Interesting. What happens in the championship. Just the top 3 teams go up with no playoff's.
My best scenario would be if season cancelled is to call everything null and void and start again next year.

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by thebeautifulgame »

eagleboy wrote:If Liverpool are awarded the title ,does this also mean the bottom 3 teams ATM are relegated. Interesting. What happens in the championship. Just the top 3 teams go up with no playoff's.
My best scenario would be if season cancelled is to call everything null and void and start again next year.

I understand your opinion but strongly disagree. Where teams in England and Scotland for example (Liverpool and Celtic) are leading comfortably I believe that the title should be awarded to them as they are there on merit, their league positions are a true reflection on where they stand. Now comes the tricky part, would you do a similar thing when it comes to relegation and promotion?
This to me is a bigger issue but to me you have to show balls and make a decision. You cannot give such teams a get out of jail free card as they sit at the bottom of their respective leagues. You also cannot tell the teams that have a chance of promotion that the campaign is null and void and say sorry but come back again next year.
Ideally in relegation and promotion scenarios it would be perfect if all teams had played the same amount of games but since this is NOT the case it becomes more complex. Glad it is not my problem to sort out as the powers that be will get abuse no matter what they decide to do.
On a more general note we have to respect the severity of this virus and behave in a responsible manner. Things will no doubt get a whole lot worse before they get better.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

thebeautifulgame wrote:On a more general note we have to respect the severity of this virus and behave in a responsible manner.

What is so 'severe' about it?
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Nice One Cyril wrote:
thebeautifulgame wrote:On a more general note we have to respect the severity of this virus and behave in a responsible manner.

What is so 'severe' about it?

I would have been expected to be challenged on my football view yet you wish to question me about the severity of the virus.
I am not an expert in the medical field so I choose to listen and accept the facts from the medical experts. Most educated people would do likewise, I'm hoping that you are one of us. :)

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

The rumbling has started.

Daily Star Post
4 hrs ·
LIVERPOOL could be denied their first league title in 30 years if 14 Premier League clubs agree to axe the season. The English top-flight has been suspended until April 4 at the earliest due to the global outbreak of coronavirus. Jurgen Klopp’s side are just two wins away from securing the title. Premier League chiefs are set to hold an emergency meeting on Thursday to discuss plans for the end of the season.

Premier League need 14-club majority to void season and stop Liverpool winning title…

But who would back the axe?
First and foremost, Liverpool will do everything in their power to stop the league being written off completely.

Klopp’s men are just two wins away from clinching the silverware after winning 27 times in 29 attempts.
Their only defeat of the season came as a shock 3-0 loss to Watford last month.
Should the league be abandoned, their efforts would be wasted and they will begin next season with a clean slate.
Manchester United would also fight to keep the league running as they are just one spot away from the top four.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side are just three points adrift of the Champions League qualification spots.
On that note, Uefa chiefs are planning four-team mini tournaments to settle the Champions League and Europa League debates this season.
Should the season continue, United will fancy their chances of finishing in the top four after going 11 games unbeaten.
Wolves and Sheffield United would also prefer to crack on with the season so they can continue their push for a top four spot.
Leicester City would NOT back the axe as they would miss out on Champions League football this season.
The Foxes are third in the table – eight points clear of Frank Lampard’s fourth-placed side.
However, at the other end of the scale, there are plenty of teams that would benefit from the season being called off.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

eagleboy wrote:The rumbling has started.

Daily Star Post
4 hrs ·
LIVERPOOL could be denied their first league title in 30 years if 14 Premier League clubs agree to axe the season. The English top-flight has been suspended until April 4 at the earliest due to the global outbreak of coronavirus. Jurgen Klopp’s side are just two wins away from securing the title. Premier League chiefs are set to hold an emergency meeting on Thursday to discuss plans for the end of the season.

Premier League need 14-club majority to void season and stop Liverpool winning title…

First and foremost, Liverpool will do everything in their power to stop the league being written off completely.

Klopp’s men are just two wins away from clinching the silverware after winning 27 times in 29 attempts.
Should the league be abandoned, their efforts would be wasted and they will begin next season with a clean slate.
Manchester United would also fight to keep the league running as they are just one spot away from the top four.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side are just three points adrift of the Champions League qualification spots.
On that note, Uefa chiefs are planning four-team mini tournaments to settle the Champions League and Europa League debates this season.
Should the season continue, United will fancy their chances of finishing in the top four after going 11 games unbeaten.
Wolves and Sheffield United would also prefer to crack on with the season so they can continue their push for a top four spot.
Leicester City would NOT back the axe as they would miss out on Champions League football this season.
The Foxes are third in the table – eight points clear of Frank Lampard’s fourth-placed side.
However, at the other end of the scale, there are plenty of teams that would benefit from the season being called off.

Was this written by Neil Fissler?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

eagleboy wrote:The rumbling has started.

Daily Star Post
4 hrs ·

Was this written by Neil Fissler?

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

I have no idea who Neil Fissler is.
I'm just stirring the pot although I have a soft spot for Liverpool. Being a Chelsea fan it make no difference atm to us.

Just Dave now
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Just Dave now »

like it or not have to say Liverpool should get the title , would be way too cruel to deny them seeing the season has got this far

has there been more talk about no relegation and promoting two from next tier and having two extra teams next season and then relegating 5 at the end of that season ?
I may not be perfect but I'm still the closest I have ever come across

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

eagleboy wrote:I have no idea who Neil Fissler is.
I'm just stirring the pot although I have a soft spot for Liverpool. Being a Chelsea fan it make no difference atm to us.

He's a journalist for the Star and Express for football and rugby. Very good writer. Good bloke as well, Millwall supporter.

theorakle
Star Player
Star Player

Post by theorakle »

Dave now from No 9 wrote:like it or not have to say Liverpool should get the title , would be way too cruel to deny them seeing the season has got this far

has there been more talk about no relegation and promoting two from next tier and having two extra teams next season and then relegating 5 at the end of that season ?

agree 100% AND IM A MAN UTD fan. they deserve it everyone knows this surely. :roll:

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

theorakle wrote:
Dave now from No 9 wrote:like it or not have to say Liverpool should get the title , would be way too cruel to deny them seeing the season has got this far

agree 100% AND IM A MAN UTD fan. they deserve it everyone knows this surely. :roll:

The grand national has been cancelled, does this mean that because everyone thinks the favourite will win that they will just award it the race?

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

God is an Englishman wrote:
theorakle wrote:

The grand national has been cancelled, does this mean that because everyone thinks the favourite will win that they will just award it the race?

No, but if the race had started and with 50 metres to go it was 49 metres in front, they probably should
Ignore this signature

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

theorakle wrote:

I think the virus has got to you, your worst attempt at fishing ever.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Fishing?

Some people are saying that the PL should just hand it the favourite despite them not actually winning it. What's the difference?

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

God is an Englishman wrote:Fishing?

Some people are saying that the PL should just hand it the favourite despite them not actually winning it. What's the difference?

One has started and one hasn’t.
The Sheffield Shield is a good comparison. Only two teams could have won it, the top team has been awarded the title.

BUT I dont think Liverpool should be given the league unless all positions are declared now. We can’t get it and Leeds not promoted etc. as for relegation you can’t relegate teams with ten games to go.

Finish the season at some point and then worry about future seasons is my attitude.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

The Normal One. wrote:

The Sheffield Shield is a good comparison. Only two teams could have won it, the top team has been awarded the title.

BUT I dont think Liverpool should be given the league unless all positions are declared now. We can’t get it and Leeds not promoted etc. as for relegation you can’t relegate teams with ten games to go.

Finish the season at some point and then worry about future seasons is my attitude.

Then the bottom 3 teams at this point in time to be relegated and the top 3 teams in championship promoted with no play offs. Where does it end.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

eagleboy wrote:
The Normal One. wrote:

Then the bottom 3 teams at this point in time to be relegated and the top 3 teams in championship promoted with no play offs. Where does it end.

No way, we're in form and pushing for a play off spot and Leeds are well known for choking.

Inoue Waka
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Inoue Waka »

The Normal One. wrote:Finish the season at some point and then worry about future seasons is my attitude.

This is what I have been saying.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

The Normal One. wrote:

Neither the grand national nor the premier league have finished. Neither have done enough to be crowned the champion.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

The Normal One. wrote:

Neither the grand national nor the premier league have finished. Neither have done enough to be crowned the champion.

You seem to be ignoring the major point - One hasn’t started.
In betting (I don’t know) do they ever pay out before an event has started, they certainly do before an event is officially over.

But I will also reiterate I don’t think we should get it without winning it.

If we get the points and then the season is cancelled, Do we get the trophy? Even though the season is not complete. That’s another potential scenario.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Bomber wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:The grand national has been cancelled, does this mean that because everyone thinks the favourite will win that they will just award it the race?

No, but if the race had started and with 50 metres to go it was 49 metres in front, they probably should

Devon Loch :wink:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

The Normal One. wrote:You seem to be ignoring the major point - One hasn’t started.
In betting (I don’t know) do they ever pay out before an event has started, they certainly do before an event is officially over.

But I will also reiterate I don’t think we should get it without winning it.

If we get the points and then the season is cancelled, Do we get the trophy? Even though the season is not complete. That’s another potential scenario.

If the victims cannot be caught then it's their title. Until then, they're just the favourites.

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

Liverpool deserve the EPL title if the current season is cancelled. Best team in EPL this year by far!
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Michael wrote:Liverpool deserve the EPL title if the current season is cancelled. Best team in EPL this year by far!

Nobody could argue about them being the best team, nor deserving it, but the fact remains that they were not guaranteed to win it.

Same as relegation and promotion, nothing was yet mathematically sorted, so I think they have to either complete the seasons later, or void the lot. You don't like to see it, but I can't see what else they can do.
Danny Blanchflower

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Michael wrote:Liverpool deserve the EPL title if the current season is cancelled. Best team in EPL this year by far!

Nobody could argue about them being the best team, nor deserving it, but the fact remains that they were not guaranteed to win it.

Same as relegation and promotion, nothing was yet mathematically sorted, so I think they have to either complete the seasons later, or void the lot. You don't like to see it, but I can't see what else they can do.

I agree with Michael and it would be a travesty if it was taken from them. Would prefer if the fixtures were completed but this is looking highly unlikely with each passing day. Forget about the null and void scenario, it just won't happen.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

thebeautifulgame wrote:
Nice One Cyril wrote:

I agree with Michael and it would be a travesty if it was taken from them. Would prefer if the fixtures were completed but this is looking highly unlikely with each passing day. Forget about the null and void scenario, it just won't happen.

You wouldn't say that if Rangers were a point in front of Celtic :lol: :lol:
Danny Blanchflower

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

NOC has sussed me out! :lol: