Rangers v Celtic

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Re: Rangers v Celtic

Post by God is an Englishman »

thebeautifulgame wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 8:27 pm
Bomber wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 8:48 am As much as I cringe re Celtic, this is the logical outcome given the percentage of games already played.
Fair assumption on the outcome but why the 'cringe factor' regarding Celtic? This club has deep Irish Catholic roots but have always been open to employ not only Catholics, but Protestants, Muslims, Hindus etc. and have never discriminated against race, religion etc.
On the other hand Rangers REFUSED to sign a Catholic until July 1989 when Souness had the balls to sign Maurice Johnston,
over 117 YEARS since the club were established in March 1872. :oops:
In my opinion the cringe factor applies to the other side.
Celtic have refused to have a poppy on their shirts

Celtic fans have chanted about the deaths of British soldiers

Celtic fans have chanted pro terrorist songs.

Celtic fans have boo'd remembrance day services.

Celtic fans fly the flag of another nation, instead of their own.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

The Isolated One wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:44 am
God is an Englishman wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:49 pm Either a season is finished or it isn't?

Until something is mathmatically certain then you can't award a winner.

2019/20 SPL Winner - seltic*
If clubs and associations agree otherwise you can.

If they decide to finish the season now, it's legal and that's it. May not seem right and will give people something to talk about , but to say a winner can't be announced and crowned is bollocks.

I think they are coming back too early, but if this season is completed in October I don't care. I am not concerned about Liverpool being awarded the trophy, as everybdy knows they will win it, BUT I still think games need to played for relegation/promotion.
It will forever have an asterix on it, then again. A lot of seltic's titles already do.

Knightsmulti
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Knightsmulti »

God is an Englishman wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:09 pm
God is an Englishman wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:49 pm Either a season is finished or it isn't?

If they decide to finish the season now, it's legal and that's it. May not seem right and will give people something to talk about , but to say a winner can't be announced and crowned is bollocks.

I think they are coming back too early, but if this season is completed in October I don't care. I am not concerned about Liverpool being awarded the trophy, as everybdy knows they will win it, BUT I still think games need to played for relegation/promotion.
It will forever have an asterix on it, then again. A lot of seltic's titles already do.
Oh the irony, tainted Champions or Champions with an asterix - does that sound familiar - good old 'paper bag FC' got caught out. Even the Newco Manager knew Celtic were worthy champions

Rangers fans and now Newco fans sing songs about the famine, 'up to our ears in fenian blood' sound familiar? Songs about dead Celtic players, cause trouble in Europe etc etc

Glasgow Celtic Champions of Scotland again 2020 - 9 in a Row Happy Days - I wonder what you will come up with next year when we make the magic 10 (I'm sure you will invent something) until then Pubs open on Friday order a Parmy with your bitter

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

We use an sterisk all the time. 6* Champions of Europe.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Knightsmulti wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:32 pm

Oh the irony, tainted Champions or Champions with an asterix - does that sound familiar - good old 'paper bag FC' got caught out. Even the Newco Manager knew Celtic were worthy champions

Rangers fans and now Newco fans sing songs about the famine, 'up to our ears in fenian blood' sound familiar? Songs about dead Celtic players, cause trouble in Europe etc etc

Glasgow Celtic Champions of Scotland again 2020 - 9 in a Row Happy Days - I wonder what you will come up with next year when we make the magic 10 (I'm sure you will invent something) until then Pubs open on Friday order a Parmy with your bitter
Won't need to, will still remind you that 6 of them have an asterisk on them.

Rangers do sing bad songs but they're not against the country they play in.

How many more years and you MAY have as many titles as Rangers? Until then New Seltic will be in their shadow.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

Are they 3 or 4 behind now?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

The Isolated One wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:01 pm Are they 3 or 4 behind now?
3*

Knightsmulti
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Knightsmulti »

God is an Englishman wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:03 pm
3*
So 4 years and the good news is, we keep going, RIP Rangers, can't see NEWCO catching up in my lifetime

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Knightsmulti wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:22 pm
God is an Englishman wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:03 pm
3*
So 4 years and the good news is, we keep going, RIP Rangers, can't see NEWCO catching up in my lifetime
Catching up? Rangers are ahead of New Seltic.

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by thebeautifulgame »

God is an Englishman wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:07 pm
Bomber wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 8:48 am As much as I cringe re Celtic, this is the logical outcome given the percentage of games already played.
Fair assumption on the outcome but why the 'cringe factor' regarding Celtic? This club has deep Irish Catholic roots but have always been open to employ not only Catholics, but Protestants, Muslims, Hindus etc. and have never discriminated against race, religion etc.
On the other hand Rangers REFUSED to sign a Catholic until July 1989 when Souness had the balls to sign Maurice Johnston,
1. Celtic have refused to have a poppy on their shirts

2. Celtic fans have chanted about the deaths of British soldiers

3. Celtic fans have chanted pro terrorist songs.

4. Celtic fans have boo'd remembrance day services.

5. Celtic fans fly the flag of another nation, instead of their own.

1. On some occasions yes and others no. The Club itself respect the poppy appeal and contribute to it every year without fail.
2. Yes, some have but the vast majority have not. Due to the Irish connection and personal experiences (a couple of hundred travel from Ireland to most home games) some feel justified to sing songs of hatred. In my opinion (along with the majority of other Celtic fans) songs of this nature should be stamped out completely. They are an embarrassment to the decent supporters and the club itself. Celtic have attempted to resolve this issue with some success though it is more difficult to control at away games.
3. Yes, due to history between the Irish Catholics and the British Empire there is bad blood which will always linger. Faults on both sides of the divide so to speak. Most of us sit on one side of the fence or the other. Due to my upbringing I can comfortably see both sides of the argument. During the Irish Potato Famine of 1845-1849 (caused by the British Empire and regarded in history as Genocide) approximately 1 million Irish Catholic peasants perished. I would assume that most Irish Catholics (of which I am not) would be pretty pissed off about that so to speak.
4. Yes, some have but the vast majority and the Club itself respect the Remembrance Day Service.
5. Yes and No as both flags are flown. This is a personal choice and the Irish flags on show displays the respect of their ancestors- no shame in that. Due to the famine 1 million Catholics emigrated, 29% of them settled in Glasgow. If you can't see the connection and the reason for the flying Irish flags then so be it.

Now I'm done explaining facts to a Millwall supporter! :roll:

P.S. My question was to Bomber, I'm sure he is big enough to answer for himself! :smile:

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

thebeautifulgame wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 5:32 pm

1. On some occasions yes and others no. The Club itself respect the poppy appeal and contribute to it every year without fail.
2. Yes, some have but the vast majority have not. Due to the Irish connection and personal experiences (a couple of hundred travel from Ireland to most home games) some feel justified to sing songs of hatred. In my opinion (along with the majority of other Celtic fans) songs of this nature should be stamped out completely. They are an embarrassment to the decent supporters and the club itself. Celtic have attempted to resolve this issue with some success though it is more difficult to control at away games.
3. Yes, due to history between the Irish Catholics and the British Empire there is bad blood which will always linger. Faults on both sides of the divide so to speak. Most of us sit on one side of the fence or the other. Due to my upbringing I can comfortably see both sides of the argument. During the Irish Potato Famine of 1845-1849 (caused by the British Empire and regarded in history as Genocide) approximately 1 million Irish Catholic peasants perished. I would assume that most Irish Catholics (of which I am not) would be pretty pissed off about that so to speak.
4. Yes, some have but the vast majority and the Club itself respect the Remembrance Day Service.
5. Yes and No as both flags are flown. This is a personal choice and the Irish flags on show displays the respect of their ancestors- no shame in that. Due to the famine 1 million Catholics emigrated, 29% of them settled in Glasgow. If you can't see the connection and the reason for the flying Irish flags then so be it.

P.S. My question was to Bomber, I'm sure he is big enough to answer for himself! :smile:
I'll answer then. I hate Celtic. Cheers :wave:
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

My favourite part is where you answered yes to every one of my points.

Why the negative rolling eyes about Millwall?

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Bomber wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:01 am

Too bad, you'll be hurting all the more when we get 10! :D

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

thebeautifulgame wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:39 pm
Bomber wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:01 amI'll answer then. I hate Celtic. Cheers :wave:
You could win 50 in a row and still never make it past the Champions Leage group stages. Most of the SPL teams would be Div 2 in England.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Bomber wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:01 am

Wont hurt that much. SPL is a pretty irrelevant league for me. :shh:
Ignore this signature

Knightsmulti
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Knightsmulti »

Nice One Cyril wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 8:28 am
Bomber wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:01 amI'll answer then. I hate Celtic. Cheers :wave:
You could win 50 in a row and still never make it past the Champions Leage group stages. Most of the SPL teams would be Div 2 in England.
Ha Division 1 yes, Division 2, maybe the bottom 1 or 2. Celtic and Rangers would be contenders - they just need the EPL TV money

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Knightsmulti wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:39 am
Ha Division 1 yes, Division 2, maybe the bottom 1 or 2. Celtic and Rangers would be contenders - they just need the EPL TV money
Sweaties are just lucky that Carlisle is south of the border or they'd be winning it every year ;-)
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

You have to get to the EPL to get that money though. That's a major flaw in your theory.

Can't see any SPL team getting out of League One.

Knightsmulti
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Knightsmulti »

God is an Englishman wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:06 pm
You have to get to the EPL to get that money though. That's a major flaw in your theory.

Ha, you have to get to League One though, that's the major flaw in your theory!

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Knightsmulti wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:32 pm
God is an Englishman wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:06 pm

Ha, you have to get to League One though, that's the major flaw in your theory!
Good point but I do think seltic will be able to progress through the northern league up to league one.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Gloating already and maybe putting the knife in. I actually rate Gerrard. Rangers look a better side under him.

Neil Lennon reckons he'd have been sacked if he'd endured two trophy less seasons like Old Firm rival Steven Gerrard.

The Rangers gaffer has failed to land silverware in his time in charge at Ibrox and is under huge pressure to deliver next season and stop Celtic’s 10-in-a-row.

Gerrard will become only the third manager in Old Firm history to start a third campaign after finishing his first two seasons empty-handed.
The last was Liam Brady 27 years ago who lasted only a few months into a third term at Celtic.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

eagleboy wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:20 pm Gloating already and maybe putting the knife in. I actually rate Gerrard. Rangers look a better side under him.

Neil Lennon reckons he'd have been sacked if he'd endured two trophy less seasons like Old Firm rival Steven Gerrard.

The Rangers gaffer has failed to land silverware in his time in charge at Ibrox and is under huge pressure to deliver next season and stop Celtic’s 10-in-a-row.

Gerrard will become only the third manager in Old Firm history to start a third campaign after finishing his first two seasons empty-handed.
The last was Liam Brady 27 years ago who lasted only a few months into a third term at Celtic.
You can hardly compared the situations for Brady and Gerrard, Rangers now are a shadow of the power they once were and it will be several seasons before they challenge Celtic again. I actually don't think he's under any pressure at all, I think the fans hate it, but recognise where they are. Second best.
Danny Blanchflower

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

This crazy 2020 season is about to get crazier. No spectators at Celtic Park for the upcoming clash due to Covid 19
restrictions and pubs closed until at least 25th October! So for once all the mayhem will be taking place away from the stadium. Think that the authorities will be extremely nervous about the potential trouble spots at the forbidden house parties and get togethers etc.
The game itself should be intriguing as in my book the home advantage this time round will count for very little. Celtic have had more to deal with in relation to players coming down with the virus and this is a major disruption. Add to this that Rangers appear to be more solid in defence I fear my team could fall to their most bitter rivals.
If Ryan Kent is on song he could be the difference on the day and they will be quietly confident. That said Celtic are slight favourites with the bookies and can't be underestimated at home. Not often that this game ends in a draw and probably won't this time round. Reckon it will finish 2-1, hopefully to Celtic (though my heart is most likely ruling my head).
First time in a long time that I actually feel Rangers are slight favourites at Celtic Park.
Come on Celtic- prove me wrong!

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Celtic 0 - Rangers 2
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Good wins over evil - every now and then ;-)
Ignore this signature

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Excellent result for Stevie G but I’m a bit confused, which season is this now?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:51 am Good wins over evil - every now and then ;-)
:grin:

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Bomber wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:51 am Good wins over evil - every now and then ;-)
It is sad thought when a Pommy club beats a traditional Scottish club. :sad: :grin:
Last edited by eagleboy on Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scholes
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Scholes »

Wrong. Rangers are an English leaning club & Celtic an Irish leaning club.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

B.Toomer wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:43 pm Wrong. Rangers are an English leaning club & Celtic an Irish leaning club.
A British club beat an Irish club.