restart of leagues

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

restart of leagues

Post by Rookie »

which country will be the first to re-start? looking like Italy or Germany

and will any put a line through season 19/20?

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Re: restart of leagues

Post by Bomber »

Rookie wrote:which country will be the first to re-start? looking like Italy or Germany

and will any put a line through season 19/20?

France already have
Ignore this signature

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Yeah the french have, with lawsuits pending. The dutch too and the scots are trying to call it off but are having some trouble counting the votes

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

how good would this be?

blob:https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/39fe7e3 ... d6abfd502c

The Premier League has been offered an alternative solution to their suspended season, with Perth considered the "ideal" destination to host the remaining 92 games.

However, it appears Premier League clubs could now relocate altogether after reports emerged of a plan to play out the rest of the season in Western Australia.

English agent Gary Williams has been in talks with several clubs and government authorities about the idea, with lockdown restrictions and confirmed cases far inferior to that of the United Kingdom.

"I have had discussions with contacts at Premier League clubs and they like the idea," Williams told The Sun.

"I have also spoken with government officials and they are enthusiastic. We are speaking again this week.

"Everybody is safe here. The government has lifted many restrictions. We are sitting round in groups of ten, we can walk around and the beaches are open. We have had four new cases in the last ten days."

Optus Stadium, Perth Oval, the WACA, and the Joondalup Arena would all serve host to the Premier League should they proceed with the plan, which would televise games to suit the English audience and afford each team a hotel of their own.

Perth senator Glenn Sterle is equally eager to see the plan come to fruition and moved to ease concern surrounding the spread of the virus.

"We have almost no new cases," he said.

"It would just be a case of some quarantine for our friends when they arrive and then we are up and running."

One club official has since confirmed their interest in the idea, telling The Sun: "We go on world tours in pre-season. This is no different. And the climate in Australia is ideal just now."

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Never happen.

And on the subject, not sure how any new season can commence without completion of the current/previous one.

Silly move by France, Holland etc.
Ignore this signature

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by thebeautifulgame »

From what I have recently read from Scotland, the Scottish Premiership is almost certainly over for season 2019/2020.
This is not through choice but the current restrictions of Covid dictates that the clubs will be unable to complete the season,
the mean reason being that of finance, or rather the lack of it. Ideally all of the clubs had expressed their wishes to restart the season but they have reluctantly stated that it is looking like mission impossible.
i genuinely believe the biggest losers here are not Rangers (who were/are going to finish runners-up) but Hearts as they are highly likely to be relegated. Yes they do sit rock bottom at present but they did have a reasonable chance to fight for survival- this is harsh and extremely unfortunate for them. That said they have been woeful for most of the season and their league position doesn't lie. Teams like Hamilton, Ross County and St Mirren will no doubt be relieved and not surprisingly these three were among the clubs that rejected the proposal of league reconstruction. This would have thrown Hearts a lifeline but it was firmly rejected by the majority of the clubs.
Unanimously all 12 member clubs (including Hearts and Rangers) have now agreed that the League cannot possibly be finished on the park as was initially hoped. Further more it was accepted that Celtic will be awarded the title when the league season is to be officially terminated. This is not the way Celtic (or their vast support) would have wished to earn their ninth consecutive title but they have indeed earned it. In the short term it may be frowned upon by some who claim it to be a so called *('asterisk') title. They are entitled to their opinion but my opinion is very clear- any professional team that plays thirty or so games in a season and is several points ahead of their nearest rival deserves to be the Champions.
This aside it will be interesting to see if the Scottish Cup (down to last four of Hibs, Hearts, Celtic and Aberdeen) can be completed as it may be penciled in for start of 'next season'.
Rangers had initially mooted the idea of calling 2019/2020 'null and void' but this was quickly undermined by the other clubs (with the exception of Hearts, unsurprisingly) as their motive was one of self-indulgence. Chris Sutton was not slow on the uptake to publicly slate Rangers, stating that they were merely using it to detract from their woeful performances since the turn of the year. Yet for a fleeting moment (or two) Rangers looked like serious title contenders after their 2-1 victory at Celtic Park. Another false dawn for Rangers and their supporters who yearn their first trophy since season 2010/2011.
And so the big question in Scotland for NEXT season- will Gerrard stay at Ibrox in an attempt to prize the League away from Celtic and stop the 10 in a row? I think he will stay if he is seriously backed by the board and pre Christmas this looked highly likely. He had just taken the scalp of Celtic on their home turf and they were going well in Europe. Since the turn of the year their form has been miserable and since Covid surfaced perhaps their financial backing will be severely impacted. How badly does Gerrard want to stay at the club and how badly does the club want to keep him in such a crucial year? Gerrard may be many things but he is certainly no fool in football circles. He will realize the implications of such a pivotal season and the weight of expectation from the fans and the board on his shoulders. I genuinely think it is a 50-50 but could see him walking if another club of a higher status shows a genuine interest in him.
As a Celtic man I would like to see him stay and test my club to the hilt as it would make up for the anti-climax of this season.

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

If they can finish this cup before starting the next one then surely they can finish this league before starting the next one, even if it means a shortened one next year. Can't let bureaucrats just assume who's winners and losers, that's bollocks

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by thebeautifulgame »

I agree it is not ideal but the member clubs have little option.............or perhaps there is- At the eleventh hour they are considering football hubs at 'neutral venues' with various ideas to accommodate the players, officials, fans and media etc.
I would prefer if it was finished properly but the cynic in me says it won't happen.
It could stand a better chance in England but personally I think clubs such as Aston Villa who are known to perform stronger at home will no doubt be concerned and rightly so. That said it is 'fairer' in that the games may be played out which is better than them not going ahead at all. Plus the English game has more money in the coffers to make it work, hence the reason I doubt it will happen in Scotland. Also the political differences and attitudes seem to favour England over Scotland regarding
a restart. I actually think that Nicola Sturgeon is light years ahead of Boris Johnson in this department (dealing with Covid).
Another reason it doesn't look promising for the Scottish game to restart unless there are severe restrictions.

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Nicola has to let everyone out at some point, she has to pay some of the bills. When she does then finish the league, summer footie sounds good. Its not like there is cricket to worry about

Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Rookie »

With 2 Parma players testing positive to COVID-19 over the weekend will this delay the re-start?

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

EPL, back on, June 17 :D
Ignore this signature

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Leicester City boss reveals he had coronavirus in March and April
Leicester boss Brendan Rodgers has revealed both he and his wife Charlotte were ill with coronavirus in March and April.
"We spent about three weeks, both of us, feeling the effects of it. We were nowhere near as bad as many others but we lost our smell and taste and our strength," said Rodgers.

https://www.sportinglife.com/football/n ... alk/180347

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Australian official Jarred Gillett in line to become Premier League's first foreign referee before end of season

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... feree.html

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Gillard an EPL referee, what a sick joke, he was useless at the WC when he appeared there and he was next to useless when he was in the A-League.

At least he was when he reffed at Hindmarsh - a typical Eastern States twat!
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

What’s a typical eastern states twat compared to an untypical eastern states twat?

Is there a difference?

You seem very angered about referees today.

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

The Final Countdown wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:00 pm What’s a typical eastern states twat compared to an untypical eastern states twat?

Is there a difference?

You seem very angered about referees today.
Ask him who Gillard is.

Frank Costanza
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Frank Costanza »

GIAE - how do you feel about League One clubs voting to finish the season as it stood prior to Covid-19 shutdown?
My old man is happy as his team is Rotherham and they're now promoted
WHO TOOK MY TV GUIDE???

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Did anyone watch PSG v Olympic M. 5 players sent off in 1 incident. Neymar straight red. What a waste of talent. 3 straight losses including UCL final to PSG.

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

eagleboy wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:53 pm Did anyone watch PSG v Olympic M. 5 players sent off in 1 incident. Neymar straight red. What a waste of talent. 3 straight losses including UCL final to PSG.
Incident - I heard it was a punch up. :eek:

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Mr Red wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:26 pm
eagleboy wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:53 pm Did anyone watch PSG v Olympic M. 5 players sent off in 1 incident. Neymar straight red. What a waste of talent. 3 straight losses including UCL final to PSG.
Incident - I heard it was a punch up. :eek:
punch up in football terms... More like handbags and an odd slap, maybe a kick. ;-)
AFL players would laugh at this.

Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Rookie »

So Neymar has said sorry for his actions but then blamed racism for his outburst from Gonzalez, but then Gonzalez has defended this saying Neymar is just a saw loser,

I know who i would believe in this situation

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

Rookie wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:53 am So Neymar has said sorry for his actions but then blamed racism for his outburst from Gonzalez, but then Gonzalez has defended this saying Neymar is just a saw loser,

So a latino calls a latino what??? Neymar, such a bellend
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Raich Carter wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:37 am
Rookie wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:53 am So Neymar has said sorry for his actions but then blamed racism for his outburst from Gonzalez, but then Gonzalez has defended this saying Neymar is just a saw loser,

Grosso would blame the Anglo's.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

eagleboy wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:45 am

Grosso would blame the Anglo's.
Or he may blame 5G in France for player behaviour.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Like calling a Mackem a Geordie ;-)
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

A saw loser is toothless.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »