Referees

This forum is for the discussion of amateur league football.

It is back by popular demand

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, swannsong, Forum Admins

QuodUnusQuiPulsat
Apprentice
Apprentice

Referees

Post by QuodUnusQuiPulsat »

How do we all think this Referee payment situation will effect the season? I know many clubs have been told to start looking for referees for Cs and Bs games already. Can you imagine some of the brawls we will see this season?

Do you all think it is worth going into a season unmanned in the referee department?

Not having a dig at anyone, just really interested to see everyone's views on the matter.

Peace! :wave:

Just Dave now
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Referees

Post by Just Dave now »

no need for brawls if they do not cheat , maybe each club designates 2 people to attend a ref course
I may not be perfect but I'm still the closest I have ever come across

QuodUnusQuiPulsat
Apprentice
Apprentice

Dave now from No 9 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:23 pm no need for brawls if they do not cheat , maybe each club designates 2 people to attend a ref course
In a perfect world there wont be brawls, unfortunately, as 2020 has shown, we do not live in a perfect world. I cant see there not being issues with games refereed by club refs, especially As games.

However, great point re the referee courses - I think everyone would love to see something like that.

Knightsmulti
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Knightsmulti »

A Referees course won't stop someone from cheating - I was under the impression that each club needs to have a qualified referee anyway
My understanding is that most A's Referees will also do B's
I don't expect any brawls in our Southern Conference, we generally all have some battles on the pitch but with the exception of the minor push and shove haven't had any brawls with the clubs in our conference and don't expect any this year
Will there be some brawls this year probably, will there be more than normal? Doubt it. Having said that I disagree with referees getting paid less. I wouldn't do it for double

RowePark
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by RowePark »

pretty sure majority of games except from a few div1 all had club refs anyway so whats the issue?

pernunz
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by pernunz »

Our club has five teams.

Multiple times last year we were required to provide club referees for four out of five teams.

bench-warmer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by bench-warmer »

I've just seen what refs are going to get for a SAASL game, and i'm shocked.

That reduction in payment probably saves every player about $10 over a shortened season. 2 coffees. over 3 months. Are we really all that tight?

I get that some are doing it tough, and some say the refs should be doing it for the love of the game. But this is community football. We don't have massive overheads. Most of us pay to play. And the idea of shafting refs so that our recreation is $1 cheaper per game really grates.

If it stays at that mark, I'd be profusely thanking any ref that showed up to any game for their commitment to the cause.
Because everyone needs one.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

So will I be frowned upon for offering the referee some 'top up cash' before the game?

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

paul merson wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:16 pm So will I be frowned upon for offering the referee some 'top up cash' before the game?
Has it stopped you before?

;-)
Ignore this signature

bench-warmer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by bench-warmer »

paul merson wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:16 pm So will I be frowned upon for offering the referee some 'top up cash' before the game?
I was trying to figure this out myself. I personally wouldn't have a problems with it, and we all know it would be done with the best intentions.

But... it could put the refs in an awkward position regarding allegations of bias (or it's sinister counterpart "tough love") if one team pays extra and the other pays the official rate (which they have every right to do...). Especially as we have to pay before the game.

Probably worth a chat with opposition before the game (without ref's knowledge). If both teams agreed to pay last years rates straight up, i don't see any problems with it. If one team wants to pay lower official rates, both teams should.

I can guarantee whinging on here about refs will take on a "and we paid extra for that" slant.

And the league & SAASRA would probably take a very dim view of it if they caught wind of it, which they probably would, as every ref would want to do your games. :lol:

Some tough ethical questions in there.

Would be nice if the clubs as a group put pressure on the league, and decided to do it unanimously.
Because everyone needs one.

Knightsmulti
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Knightsmulti »

I'm under the impression that the SAASL are paying referees themselves directly so any payment would need to be like a tip

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Bomber wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:00 pm
Has it stopped you before?

;-)
No but I thought we could turn this into some good publicity! 8)

I think the referees have had enough of my tips Knightsmulti!!

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brian the Postman »

bench-warmer wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:20 pm
I was trying to figure this out myself. I personally wouldn't have a problems with it, and we all know it would be done with the best intentions.

But... it could put the refs in an awkward position regarding allegations of bias (or it's sinister counterpart "tough love") if one team pays extra and the other pays the official rate (which they have every right to do...). Especially as we have to pay before the game.

Probably worth a chat with opposition before the game (without ref's knowledge). If both teams agreed to pay last years rates straight up, i don't see any problems with it. If one team wants to pay lower official rates, both teams should.

I can guarantee whinging on here about refs will take on a "and we paid extra for that" slant.

And the league & SAASRA would probably take a very dim view of it if they caught wind of it, which they probably would, as every ref would want to do your games. :lol:

Some tough ethical questions in there.

Would be nice if the clubs as a group put pressure on the league, and decided to do it unanimously.
I think the best way forward would be to try and treat them with the maximum amount of respect and appreciation, as trying as it may be at times.

There’s no way known you could get me to ref let alone for the paltry amount they will receive this year. It’s definitely a generous action by the league but agreed we could have paid them something as clubs to top them up to a more enticing amount.
It's all in the Delivery!

edenhazard
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by edenhazard »

Club referees getting no top-up cash from the league.

Knightsmulti
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Knightsmulti »

The referee gave us a briefing before the game and told us he would make a number of mistakes - at least he got that right

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Knightsmulti wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:25 am The referee gave us a briefing before the game and told us he would make a number of mistakes - at least he got that right
Basically setting himself up for a dodgy game. What he should say is "I may not see everything (clearly)" - then fair enough.
Ignore this signature

Knightsmulti
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Knightsmulti »

Bomber wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:03 pm
Knightsmulti wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:25 am The referee gave us a briefing before the game and told us he would make a number of mistakes - at least he got that right
Basically setting himself up for a dodgy game. What he should say is "I may not see everything (clearly)" - then fair enough.
Didn't change the outcome so not having a whinge just strange way to give a briefing

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Fair effort by the refs doing 2 games straight, concentrating for 90 mins is hard enough, then chuck the running in on top of that.

As a gk I dont think I could have stayed switched on for 180 minutes.

QuodUnusQuiPulsat
Apprentice
Apprentice

As expected the complaining about referees is in full swing on here and also the SAASL Facebook group, only 13 more weeks of it!

Knightsmulti
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Knightsmulti »

RolfHarris69 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:56 am As expected the complaining about referees is in full swing on here and also the SAASL Facebook group, only 13 more weeks of it!
Seriously, I was making a tongue in cheek comment about what he said - and did make mention that he didn't alter the outcome. Agree with someone else's comment he did 2 games - fair play

Sensationalising 'the complaining is in full swing' on here at least isn't helping although I appreciate that's reporting 101 - where is Donald Trump when you need him - Fake News

Knightsmulti
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Knightsmulti »

We lost 4-2 yesterday
Referee gave 2 penalties against us in the second half
Both were there in my opinion and he did a good job
No excuses and fair play to him

edenhazard
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by edenhazard »

Good to see the league has money to give official referees a pay rise but no reimbursement to club referees :clown:

BeNatural
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by BeNatural »

pecker
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by pecker »

BeNatural wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:15 am interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpspDK9 ... e=youtu.be
same ref did our game on Saturday and ruined what started off as a good game, gave too many yellows, kept asking for respect, has no idea about the game

English
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by English »

Might be an unpopular opinion, but I’ve got no issue with it.

First bloke was booked, decided to keep going. Second idiot was seemingly already on a yellow. He asked the three dismissed players and staff to leave the area, which they refused. Grounds steward was an absolute joke. The goalkeeper I thought was unlucky, because I think that was a case of him mistaking who he was directing his words to.

I’ve seen the club (Or people associated with it) claiming he has it in for them, but I can guarantee you a lot of other clubs would have controlled their players and not let it get to that.

dhoyle
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by dhoyle »

English wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:43 pm

I’ve seen the club (Or people associated with it) claiming he has it in for them, but I can guarantee you a lot of other clubs would have controlled their players and not let it get to that.
FWIW, I've watched this guy ref a few games and the way he handles things is consistent. He is very happy to start throwing the cards out when things are not going as smooth as he thinks they should. Say nothing and you will get no cards. He definitely isn't treating Croatia or TTG different to anyone else.