Awer Mabil's dream almost achieved

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Awer Mabil's dream almost achieved

Post by Old Master »

Champions League a dream after nightmare year for Mabil

When Awer Mabil's childhood dream of playing in the UEFA Champions League becomes a reality next week, it will come after living through a nightmare in 2019.

UPDATED 22 HOURS AGO

The winger had the world at his feet after a breakthrough Asian Cup for the Socceroos in the United Arab Emirates at the start of last year.

Mabil scored two goals in his first senior tournament for Australia, capturing headlines back home for a unique, eye-catching goal celebration paying tribute to people coping with mental health problems.

Within hours of Australia's quarter-final exit to the host nation, however, Mabil's world came crashing down.

A car accident in Adelaide claimed the life of Mabil's 19-year-old sister Bor, leaving him devastated with grief.

"I was enjoying the time of my life, playing for my country, scoring for my country at a tournament," Mabil said.

"All of a sudden, that happened - my best friend who I was talking to every day, suddenly gone like that.

"I lost my passion for a lot of things, for at least six months. I kept working hard but at the same time I didn't have the joy."

With the support of the Socceroos and coach Graham Arnold, as well as his Danish club FC Midtjylland, Mabil worked his way through the devastating loss.

Slowly, as the pain and anger subsided, a love for football - and life - was rediscovered.

Drawing on his own history of using his story and profile to help others, Mabil hopes his path back to happiness can be another opportunity to set an example.

"The last seven months I found my happiness again, in life and in football," he said.

"I know now I only have one job and that's to try to set a way, a path for the next to follow.

"That's my job, just to show people that no matter what you go through, you can still overcome things.

"That's what I feel, that's my purpose now."

That return to joy has coincided with another big step in Mabil's career.

The 25-year-old played a key role in helping Midtjylland reach the group stage of this year's Champions League.

Mabil's team has been drawn alongside Premier League champions Liverpool, Dutch heavyweights Ajax and Italy's shock quarter-finalists from last season, Atalanta.

The kid who used to wag school as a youngster in Adelaide to watch Champions League matches will now be Australia's only representative in the elite competition - playing at three of the most historic venues in European football in Anfield, the San Siro and Amsterdam's Johan Cruijff ArenA.

It's a long way from Mabil's first exposure to European football during the early years of his life at a refugee camp in Kenya.

The son of South Sudanese refugees walked two hours from the camp to the nearest TV to pay $1 and watch football matches where he didn't really understand who was playing, or in what competition.

"I thought it was just watching football, because I couldn't understand English at that time," he said.

"I was just going there to support my favourite team.

"It wasn't until I came to Australia that I realised what the Champions League was - the best for club football you can go to.

"I grew up watching Liverpool and seeing Anfield, the anthem they sing... to be able to play at that ground is going to be amazing.

"To play at San Siro... that will be amazing.

"And Ajax - I was on trial with Ajax before I came to Midtjylland, but it never really worked out.

"It's time to go back and show them a little something, I hope."

Mabil is also excited for Midtjylland, the club which he says has helped him become a man since joining them in 2015.

Founded in 1999, the Ulvene (Wolves) have already won three Danish Superliga titles in their short history, focusing on developing young talent such as Mabil.

And while they start as the minnows of their group, Mabil says he and his teammates have no fear ahead of their campaign starting at home against Atalanta on Thursday (AEDT).

"It's not easy, but I think there's a possibility where we can surprise some people," Mabil said.

"We have nothing to lose. No-one is expecting us to do anything.

"But we know how dangerous we are. If anyone switches off we're going to punish them - that's our mentality going into the group."

SOURCE AAP

It would be great for him and Australian Football if Mabil could score against these clubs. OM
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Re: Awer Mabil's dream almost achieved

Post by ozzie owl »

Old Master wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:20 pm Champions League a dream after nightmare year for Mabil

When Awer Mabil's childhood dream of playing in the UEFA Champions League becomes a reality next week, it will come after living through a nightmare in 2019.

UPDATED 22 HOURS AGO

The winger had the world at his feet after a breakthrough Asian Cup for the Socceroos in the United Arab Emirates at the start of last year.

Mabil scored two goals in his first senior tournament for Australia, capturing headlines back home for a unique, eye-catching goal celebration paying tribute to people coping with mental health problems.

Within hours of Australia's quarter-final exit to the host nation, however, Mabil's world came crashing down.

A car accident in Adelaide claimed the life of Mabil's 19-year-old sister Bor, leaving him devastated with grief.

"I was enjoying the time of my life, playing for my country, scoring for my country at a tournament," Mabil said.

"All of a sudden, that happened - my best friend who I was talking to every day, suddenly gone like that.

"I lost my passion for a lot of things, for at least six months. I kept working hard but at the same time I didn't have the joy."

With the support of the Socceroos and coach Graham Arnold, as well as his Danish club FC Midtjylland, Mabil worked his way through the devastating loss.

Slowly, as the pain and anger subsided, a love for football - and life - was rediscovered.

Drawing on his own history of using his story and profile to help others, Mabil hopes his path back to happiness can be another opportunity to set an example.

"The last seven months I found my happiness again, in life and in football," he said.

"I know now I only have one job and that's to try to set a way, a path for the next to follow.

"That's my job, just to show people that no matter what you go through, you can still overcome things.

"That's what I feel, that's my purpose now."

That return to joy has coincided with another big step in Mabil's career.

The 25-year-old played a key role in helping Midtjylland reach the group stage of this year's Champions League.

Mabil's team has been drawn alongside Premier League champions Liverpool, Dutch heavyweights Ajax and Italy's shock quarter-finalists from last season, Atalanta.

The kid who used to wag school as a youngster in Adelaide to watch Champions League matches will now be Australia's only representative in the elite competition - playing at three of the most historic venues in European football in Anfield, the San Siro and Amsterdam's Johan Cruijff ArenA.

It's a long way from Mabil's first exposure to European football during the early years of his life at a refugee camp in Kenya.

The son of South Sudanese refugees walked two hours from the camp to the nearest TV to pay $1 and watch football matches where he didn't really understand who was playing, or in what competition.

"I thought it was just watching football, because I couldn't understand English at that time," he said.

"I was just going there to support my favourite team.

"It wasn't until I came to Australia that I realised what the Champions League was - the best for club football you can go to.

"I grew up watching Liverpool and seeing Anfield, the anthem they sing... to be able to play at that ground is going to be amazing.

"To play at San Siro... that will be amazing.

"And Ajax - I was on trial with Ajax before I came to Midtjylland, but it never really worked out.

"It's time to go back and show them a little something, I hope."

Mabil is also excited for Midtjylland, the club which he says has helped him become a man since joining them in 2015.

Founded in 1999, the Ulvene (Wolves) have already won three Danish Superliga titles in their short history, focusing on developing young talent such as Mabil.

And while they start as the minnows of their group, Mabil says he and his teammates have no fear ahead of their campaign starting at home against Atalanta on Thursday (AEDT).

"It's not easy, but I think there's a possibility where we can surprise some people," Mabil said.

"We have nothing to lose. No-one is expecting us to do anything.

"But we know how dangerous we are. If anyone switches off we're going to punish them - that's our mentality going into the group."

SOURCE AAP

It would be great for him and Australian Football if Mabil could score against these clubs. OM
Congratulations to Awer .

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Hosine Bility (ex Croydon, medal winner in '17 GF) also at the club. :smile:
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Does anyone actually have a childhood dream of playing in the champions league?

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

God is an Englishman wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:44 am Does anyone actually have a childhood dream of playing in the champions league?
I would think most young players today would, as it is now seen by many as the Premier level of International Club Football.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Old Master wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:56 am
God is an Englishman wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:44 am Does anyone actually have a childhood dream of playing in the champions league?
I would think most young players today would, as it is now seen by many as the Premier level of International Club Football.
Not if you follow the likes of Blackpool, Millwall or Sheff Wed ;-) ;-) ;-)

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

I would think most people would dream of playing for their country, in a world cup, world cup final etc... as more of a dream than a random game against a european club.

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

God is an Englishman wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:31 pm

I would think most people would dream of playing for their country, in a world cup, world cup final etc... as more of a dream than a random game against a european club.
Serious question. If your son chose to play fro Australia over England, (dont say it won't happen and avoid the question) would it give you more pleasure watching him in a WC finals match, or a CL final?

I would go for the former, uness it was for Liverpool. If it was my son, and not yours!

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Champions at last wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:00 pm

Serious question. If your son chose to play fro Australia over England, (dont say it won't happen and avoid the question) would it give you more pleasure watching him in a WC finals match, or a CL final?

I would go for the former, uness it was for Liverpool. If it was my son, and not yours!

it would never happen. :-)

Which club is he playing for?

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

God is an Englishman wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:17 pm
Champions at last wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:00 pm

Rangers

it would never happen. :-)

Which club is he playing for?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Rangers - yeah, I'd prefer the champions league game then.

Actually, who are both teams playing in this final?

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

God is an Englishman wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:59 pm Rangers - yeah, I'd prefer the champions league game then.

Millwall

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Champions at last wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:12 pm
God is an Englishman wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:59 pm Rangers - yeah, I'd prefer the champions league game then.

Millwall
Then the CL would be more enjoyable as I know he's not good enough for that level and Millwall should have an easier game :-)

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Back on topic, it seems like Awer's dream is becoming more of a nightmare, as they've lost bot games so far, 4 - 0 and 2 - 0, and failed to create one decent chance to score in both.

But at least he's played 90 minutes of both matches so far.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Old Master wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:54 am Back on topic, it seems like Awer's dream is becoming more of a nightmare, as they've lost bot games so far, 4 - 0 and 2 - 0, and failed to create one decent chance to score in both.

We were always on topic, we were discussing his "dream".

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Old Master wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:54 am Back on topic, it seems like Awer's dream is becoming more of a nightmare, as they've lost bot games so far, 4 - 0 and 2 - 0, and failed to create one decent chance to score in both.

v Atalanta 11. Mabil Substituted for Vibeat 75' minutes
v Liverpool 11 Mabil Substituted for Anderson at 66' minutes

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

But apart from being substituted he played 90 minutes in both games.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Champions at last wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:09 pm

Thanks for the correction CAL, I mustn't have seen him go off or heard the commentator mention it. :oops:

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Old Master wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:18 pm

Thanks for the correction CAL, I mustn't have seen him go off or heard the commentator mention it. :oops:
You obviously didn't miss him.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

I didn’t watch the first game. But v Liverpool he did nothing. There was no way you would watch that and think he is international class or even CL standard.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

How do you watch a game and miss a substitution?

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

God is an Englishman wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:24 pm

How do you watch a game and miss a substitution?
Must be related to Kammy :lol:
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower