WNPL and State sports Park

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: WNPL and State sports Park

Post by Raich Carter »

SAD GAL wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:23 am The comparison with amateur league and WNPL or NPL is absurd and irrelevant. Whilst all leagues deserve the respect of decent facilities, the top leagues do too as well.

Speaking to many people from different clubs, they are all saying the same thing. De-centralisation of games away from the the Friday night has not been received well. The whole idea about one night 4 games was about unifying clubs, players and build an atmosphere that promotes the women's game. Since this de-centralisation has occurred I have only watched part of one other game at the Parks. That was way back when the days were longer and warmer ie a long time ago and pre-Gepps cross.

We've gone backwards.
A little elitism never hurts from someone who sound like they just want it their own way.
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

C U Next Saturday
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by C U Next Saturday »

SAD GAL wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:26 pm The place needs an overhaul. Pitch not the best many players have ongoing injuries and soreness from the very poor playing surface.. Location of coaching boxes is insane. Facing the rain and wind. Zero protection. even in summer.

Until then can WA and Fulham pick another place ie the Parks.

The whole 2022 season is a mish mash of scheduling.

#getbacktotheParks
Surely someone with your intellect understands that Adelaide Olympic has taken on the lease at Parks

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

C U Next Saturday wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:52 pm
SAD GAL wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:26 pm The place needs an overhaul. Pitch not the best many players have ongoing injuries and soreness from the very poor playing surface.. Location of coaching boxes is insane. Facing the rain and wind. Zero protection. even in summer.

Until then can WA and Fulham pick another place ie the Parks.

The whole 2022 season is a mish mash of scheduling.

#getbacktotheParks
Surely someone with your intellect understands that Adelaide Olympic has taken on the lease at Parks
Olympic should hand back the keys just to appease SAD GAL

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

C U and Burns thank you for the condescending remarks. Ignorance is contagious.

Does a lease mean exclusivity? Certainly, doesn’t mean ownership. I’d say tonight and any other Friday night it lays idle.
In regards to State Park and the de-centralisation of WNPL games, I maintain this has bene a detriment to the WNPL.

Some may argue however, I’d say that FSA needs to get back to why, in the first place, we were having games scheduled and at West Beach. Simple answer is that it was to build the game and bring together at one venue the teams, clubs and supporters (some aligned and some neutral) to watch the games. This has gone. State Park has two games tonight and it will be a lonely and sparse place. The canteen may or may not be open.

I am certain that State Park was never meant to be a replacement for what we had at the Parks and West Beach. Shame.

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

SAD GAL wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:43 am C U and Burns thank you for the condescending remarks. Ignorance is contagious.

Does a lease mean exclusivity? Certainly, doesn’t mean ownership. I’d say tonight and any other Friday night it lays idle.
In regards to State Park and the de-centralisation of WNPL games, I maintain this has bene a detriment to the WNPL.

Some may argue however, I’d say that FSA needs to get back to why, in the first place, we were having games scheduled and at West Beach. Simple answer is that it was to build the game and bring together at one venue the teams, clubs and supporters (some aligned and some neutral) to watch the games. This has gone. State Park has two games tonight and it will be a lonely and sparse place. The canteen may or may not be open.

I am certain that State Park was never meant to be a replacement for what we had at the Parks and West Beach. Shame.
A reminder of what can be condescending........"The comparison with amateur league and WNPL or NPL is absurd and irrelevant."

How many games have you attended at the new facility?

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

Some clubs prefer hosting.

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

Precisely. Not enough. Maybe 2.
The circumstances under which the teams play and why it was necessary to bring them together (as has been for the last 6 or so years) to consolidate the sport. Therefore, not necessary to compare to the amateurs or NPL.

The teams are "encouraged" to play away from State Park. Certainly not a venue for the majority. Exclusive not inclusive.

Raich Carter wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:58 am
SAD GAL wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:43 am C U and Burns thank you for the condescending remarks. Ignorance is contagious.

A reminder of what can be condescending........"The comparison with amateur league and WNPL or NPL is absurd and irrelevant."

How many games have you attended at the new facility?

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

SAD GAL wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:43 am
Idle? How the hundreds of junior players that Adelaide Olympic using it for training?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

It was a bit cold out there today. I hope none of you had to play in that.

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

Another weekend where games are played on Friday night, Saturday evening/night and Sunday. I have been to a wnpl game in the last 5 weeks. Saturday evenings are ludicrous.

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

SAD GAL wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:13 am Another weekend where games are played on Friday night, Saturday evening/night and Sunday. I have been to a wnpl game in the last 5 weeks. Saturday evenings are ludicrous.
Went and watched a team become premiers at West Beach on Friday night, didn't care where it was being played, didn't care that 8 other teams weren't there as I don't support them. Had a great night and get over yourself!

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Whack. Ouch.

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

Raich Carter wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:23 am
SAD GAL wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:13 am Another weekend where games are played on Friday night, Saturday evening/night and Sunday. I have been to a wnpl game in the last 5 weeks. Saturday evenings are ludicrous.
Went and watched a team become premiers at West Beach on Friday night, didn't care where it was being played, didn't care that 8 other teams weren't there as I don't support them. Had a great night and get over yourself!
I see a difference of opinion here. You're coming at it from a "team supporter" perspective, completely understandable you are focused on your own team's games, etc. It is not your club's objective to grow the women's game, it's sole focus is to win trophies, and that's fine if that's the case (i'm not having a go btw, just clear by the fact they have the lowest number of junior teams out of all WNPL and WSL sides).

I also see Sad Gal's perspective, which is trying to come at it from a "supporter of the women's game" perspective. Their objective is to try and continue to grow the "carnival" atmosphere that double headers brought, which may in turn encourage more to come. I am personally not a fan of every game at one venue, it detracts from the product and can become a distraction for players, etc. But two games is a good model.

I also think Gepps Cross is a good facility, but the difference in atmosphere comes from all supporters on one side of the pitch (main pitch) leading to a lack of atmosphere.

Most club-hosted fixtures have seen the women's side follow the men's fixture and has led to maybe what, 100-150 people hanging around? Maybe this is due to those fixtures usually being at 5 or 7pm on a Saturday, maybe it's due to winter, maybe it's due to a low profile fixture, maybe due to reserves being on another day, etc.

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

Thank you for a well thought out response rather than the retorts that offer little than critique for the other side of the argument.

I think you have captured it well. I can see all sides to the story. I can also see that the new State Park is different than the Parks and West Beach. The boutique stadia they are is not what's on offer at SP.

Its crystal clear that this is the new norm. SP is and will be sued sparingly. It’s the showcase stadium for the game.
In response to your comment about people hanging about post game. I agree there have been some watching. They usually depart after 20 minutes. Or are in the bar.

Westies may have gotten a good crowd on Sat. As they do when things are going really well. If they were having a tough season, west beach would be a ghost town last Sat. They are a fickle group.

p.s I’m not here to convince you one way or the other. It’s my view. I am yet to be convinced that the flow on revenue stream will benefit the women’s team at a club. We will never know the truth.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Your only argument so far is that one ground is too cold and wet for you.

IT'S A WINTER SPORT.

I'm sure most players, clubs and spectators would far rather to watch/play their games at their home ground.

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

SAD GAL wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:53 pm Thank you for a well thought out response rather than the retorts that offer little than critique for the other side of the argument.

I think you have captured it well. I can see all sides to the story. I can also see that the new State Park is different than the Parks and West Beach. The boutique stadia they are is not what's on offer at SP.

Its crystal clear that this is the new norm. SP is and will be sued sparingly. It’s the showcase stadium for the game.
In response to your comment about people hanging about post game. I agree there have been some watching. They usually depart after 20 minutes. Or are in the bar.

Westies may have gotten a good crowd on Sat. As they do when things are going really well. If they were having a tough season, west beach would be a ghost town last Sat. They are a fickle group.

p.s I’m not here to convince you one way or the other. It’s my view. I am yet to be convinced that the flow on revenue stream will benefit the women’s team at a club. We will never know the truth.
Haven't been to fickle the last few years I've been going to games (covid excepted), wherever they are played and whatever the results. Same could be said for any number of teams about success increasing crowd numbers, mens or womens game.
Just to clarify a question I asked, have you been to a game at the Gepps Cross complex?

Riggles64
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Riggles64 »

Lots of discussion on here and about the weather, gate takings, growth n the game etc. The discussion was to be about the de-centralisation of the wnpl ie from centralisation we had at the Parks for many years to the de-centralised model at State Park.

Does not look like it will get back to that model. For me I will miss it. I miss the opportunity to watch other teams and catch up with people from other clubs.

Again, I get what is happening and probably it was moving this way over the last couple of years. Reflecting on where the wnpl was a decade (and longer) ago, what we have now is far better than Sunday afternoon games on poor pitches all across Adelaide.

united92
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by united92 »

I'd say you're a long way off with this.
It all started when it changed from the Women's Premier League to the WNPL model. As part of linking up with the national standards to be an "NPL" competition, standards were required to be met (1st Team matches needing to be played on a fenced pitch with a players race/tunnel and changerooms) being the main one I can remember.
No club had a fenced ground back then, so the Parks/West Beach were the easy fix being FSA run grounds.

Clubs/stadia have improved or been rebuilt since then.

The Women's game has improved enough since the initial move to all games at FSA grounds. It's just not necessary anymore. Clubs deserve to be making money on the gate, canteen and bar at their own home grounds.

If you want to watch the other games and players, watch it back on NPL.TV
Another excellent addition to the Women's game that previously wasn't available.

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

Good discussion point about the evolution of the game and the need for central venues for WNPL games where the clubs did not have the requisite facilities. Agreed.

For what it is worth, State Park has and will become another Hindmarsh Stadium where access is limited to select games. Inequitable. It’s a baron lace when only one or two games are there. Absolutely zero atmosphere. Waste land. Sorry but that’s my other argument. Expensive venue that needs to be kept busy.

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

Sadly The State Park has less winter amenities for WNPL supporters when considering seating and cover from the rain when the synthetic pitches are in use. This is when compared to West Beach and Valo.
WNPL certainly doesn't appear to have been considered in its design.

That said no WNPL club other then Birkalla (NTC Federation funded) offers better then West Beach and Valo.

Metro - Use TK Shutter has cover (in clubrooms), but the angled roof makes it difficult to watch the game if its raining.
Uni - Have no home ground at NPL quality
Fulham - Have West Beach under lease
Birkalla - Have cover and limited seating
AC - No cover, but seating
Vista - Have no home ground at NPL quality
Inter - Have no home ground at NPL quality
WA - Have no home ground at NPL quality
NTC - The State Centre
Comets - Have no home ground at NPL quality

Sadly very few clubs in the state, Men's and Women's offer much in the way of amenities for Winter viewing of the sport.
This certainly impacts attendance at all levels.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

BAGGIO 15 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:54 pm Sadly The State Park has less winter amenities for WNPL supporters when considering seating and cover from the rain when the synthetic pitches are in use. This is when compared to West Beach and Valo.

That said no WNPL club other then Birkalla (NTC Federation funded) offers better then West Beach and Valo.

Metro - Use TK Shutter has cover (in clubrooms), but the angled roof makes it difficult to watch the game if its raining.
NTC - The State Centre

Sadly very few clubs in the state, Men's and Women's offer much in the way of amenities for Winter viewing of the sport.
Vista is a terrible club run by terrible people.

How is their ground not NPL standard though. What is it missing?

As for some of the other complaints. It's an amateur winter sport.

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

God is an Englishman wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:53 pm
BAGGIO 15 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:54 pm Sadly The State Park has less winter amenities for WNPL supporters when considering seating and cover from the rain when the synthetic pitches are in use. This is when compared to West Beach and Valo.

NTC - The State Centre

A little harsh to hammer people who run clubs, not aware of any issues there.
The odd person I know there enjoys the environment

According to others I've been told that to be able to host NPL level games you need to be able to charge for entry.
Currently they cannot charges, as access to the pitch is available from most directions.

Only the pitch itself is fenced.
I'm not certain if they have a score board and an elevated area for recording.
They have two pitches running East/West and the main one that's runs across these North/South.
Not sure if the North/South changes anything?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

BAGGIO 15 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:41 pm

NTC - The State Centre

According to others I've been told that to be able to host NPL level games you need to be able to charge for entry.
Currently they cannot charges, as access to the pitch is available from most directions.

They have two pitches running East/West and the main one that's runs across these North/South.
Not harsh at all, they deserve no respect and every ounce of criticism. TTKK.

They had an elevated media section when I was last there. Scoreboard is easily fixed.

Why would the direction of the pitch matter?

If it isn't compliant then someone needs to take the FSA and their incompetence to task.

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

God is an Englishman wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:36 pm

NTC - The State Centre

They had an elevated media section when I was last there. Scoreboard is easily fixed.

If it isn't compliant then someone needs to take the FSA and their incompetence to task.
Can they charge entry?
I understand they cant, as mentioned above the pitch is open to people viewing the game at the pitches edge without paying entry.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

BAGGIO 15 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:04 pm
God is an Englishman wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:36 pm

NTC - The State Centre

Can they charge entry?
I understand they cant, as mentioned above the pitch is open to people viewing the game at the pitches edge without paying entry.
Not much more open than Metrostars is and they the have Men's NPL there.

There's only 2 entry points to truly get pitchside unless they're using the 2nd pitch.

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

Metro are vastly different as they lock the top gate and only have 1 entry point for cars and spectators.

Vista you can walk to the pitches edge from the road

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

BAGGIO 15 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:30 am Metro are vastly different as they lock the top gate and only have 1 entry point for cars and spectators.

Never known them to lock the top gate, not the side fence either.

The only road at Vista you can walk to would put you "pitch side" at Pitch 2. They normally play on Pitch 1.

I repeat - if this pitch isn't compliant then the FSA should be taken to task on the matter.

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

God is an Englishman wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:47 am
BAGGIO 15 wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:30 am Metro are vastly different as they lock the top gate and only have 1 entry point for cars and spectators.

Never known them to lock the top gate, not the side fence either.

The only road at Vista you can walk to would put you "pitch side" at Pitch 2. They normally play on Pitch 1.

I repeat - if this pitch isn't compliant then the FSA should be taken to task on the matter.
Simply my understanding

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

Been to TK Shutter – Gates locked and pay $10

Been to Jack Smith Park (Birks) two times – gates open no charge. Only bought a coffee. Gate takings from when I was there was NIL

Access to Apex and West beach – paid $10 when double header

Adelaide City Park – no cost entry – Gate takings nil

So it appears that the premise of gate takings to supplement/support the wnpl team payments seems to be diluted somewhat.

The State Park set up has been one huge hoodwink. To me. As a supporter. I expected it to be a bigger venue (it is) with improved facilities (some). Big night of Friday night footy.

Since the move to wards playing away from the New venue I have not been to a game at all in the last 4 weeks. The scheduling has been clear however, the days/times means that I have conflicting commitments. Friday nights were beginning to be imbedded into our winter scheduling. So what happens? It gets changed and the impact is significant.

The last few years we had double headers with the mens team two or three times a season. Agreed. Not the set up now.
WNPL is a stand-alone comp and most (if not all the games) should be at the one venue. No one will convince me that this is a cost related decision. FSA will state that it costs $x to put on a wnpl game and it cannot be sustained.

On another note, the canteen and bar at the Parks was always doing a roaring trade. How’s the one at State Park doing?

Rightside
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Rightside »

Well said SAD GAL :clap: