EPL 22/23

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Re: EPL 22/23

Post by N5 1BH »

Villa have a decent side they should be okay if Gerrard doesn’t lose the players. Leicester look in a bit of bother on and off the field and hopefully Wolves’ Mendes bubble has finally burst. But obviously my wish list would be spuds, Chelsea & Liverpool to go down.

haywood djablowme
Star Player
Star Player

Post by haywood djablowme »

Nice One Cyril wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:19 pm I wonder whether Aubameyang will be as lazy at Chelsea as he was at the Goons. Barca must be laughing at Arsenal, they got him for sweet FA and are selling him for £12 million plus Alonso.
Arteta has done a great job moving on bad eggs & Auba was one of them. As a club you need to take a hit sometimes & on him they did! Maybe watch the Amazon doco & you might understand why
SAASL SUNDAY PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPION 2010 2011
SAASL CHALLENGE CUP WINNER 2008 2010 2011
SAASL CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS WINNER 2010
SAASL CICHANOWSKI SHIELD WINNER 2009 2011 2012

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

haywood djablowme wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:50 am
Nice One Cyril wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:19 pm I wonder whether Aubameyang will be as lazy at Chelsea as he was at the Goons. Barca must be laughing at Arsenal, they got him for sweet FA and are selling him for £12 million plus Alonso.
Arteta has done a great job moving on bad eggs & Auba was one of them. As a club you need to take a hit sometimes & on him they did! Maybe watch the Amazon doco & you might understand why
Tonight's games will tell us a lot I think. Arsenal have been kissed on the grenache with their fixtures so far and, despite stumbling over the line, have not impressed against Fulham or Villa, but if they can go to United and beat them, I might start to worry a little. Not a lot, because come October it gets a lot harder. ;-)

Meanwhile I'm not looking forward to that clown Sanchez being thrown around by Mitro, I'm hoping that Romero is back #praying
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Chelsea got the lucky VAR break against WHU.

haywood djablowme
Star Player
Star Player

ozzie owl wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:48 am Chelsea got the lucky VAR break against WHU.
As did Citeh

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

haywood djablowme wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:27 am
ozzie owl wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:48 am Chelsea got the lucky VAR break against WHU.
As did Citeh
As a Chelsea man I am glad that was overturned but I would be ropable if the other way. The Villa goal should have stood as well. Wasn't one of the Video refs the Australian Gillett?
Erling Haaland has scored 10 goals in his first six Premier League matches. Looks unstoppable.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

eagleboy wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:59 pmErling Haaland has scored 10 goals in his first six Premier League matches. Looks unstoppable.
:lol: People said that about Sterling when he was at City, it's why he got picked for England. The majority of strikers create very little for themselves, they are the trigger and they require someone else to load the gun. Haaland is a seriously good striker being supplied by the best midfield in the world, my granny would score a dozen a season with KDB, Silva, Foden, Gundogan, Mahrez etc. putting balls in, but if Haaland played for Bournemouth everyone would be wondering what all the hype was about.
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Nice One Cyril wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:15 pm
eagleboy wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:59 pmErling Haaland has scored 10 goals in his first six Premier League matches. Looks unstoppable.
:lol: People said that about Sterling when he was at City, it's why he got picked for England. The majority of strikers create very little for themselves, they are the trigger and they require someone else to load the gun. Haaland is a seriously good striker being supplied by the best midfield in the world, my granny would score a dozen a season with KDB, Silva, Foden, Gundogan, Mahrez etc. putting balls in, but if Haaland played for Bournemouth everyone would be wondering what all the hype was about.
He has done the same at Dortmund and earlier Red Bull Salzburg as well as Norway.

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Arteta’s subs ????

On another note let’s introduce video refereeing, it will eliminate obvious human errors. What could possibly go wrong

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

N5 1BH wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:23 am Arteta’s subs ????

On another note let’s introduce video refereeing, it will eliminate obvious human errors. What could possibly go wrong
I really want to detest Arteta, but tbf I quite like his outlook and I thought the Goons played quite well. He gave a very good interview afterwards and, if his subs work he's a genius, if they don't the media dump on him. As a fan, if my team is losing, I want the manager to do something rather than nothing, no point sitting on the bench being hopeful.

I was underwhelmed by both defences tbh but, if Eriksen can outrun you, you should probably defend a bit deeper. As for Antony, a well taken goal but already you can see he only has one foot and I'm sure EPL defenders will be making mental notes.

And VAR got it right ;-)
Danny Blanchflower

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by GaylyColouredStumps »

:wtf:

The bloke is a highly mobile monster. He ain’t anything like Sterling
These users thanked the author Sunny Vanilla for the post:
Old Master, johndedes, theorakle, ozzie owl, suzie, thewabster, Za Dom Spremni

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Arena Oaxaca wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:28 pm

I wasn't comparing Haaland to Sterling, merely pointing out that Sterling was nowhere near as good as everyone said, just that he was handed a dozen taps in a season by the City midfield. Haaland is a far superior striker who takes his chances, reminds me a bit of Zlatan, but he wouldn't score anywhere near as many playing for Bournemouth. What is unstoppable is the City midfield.
Danny Blanchflower

haywood djablowme
Star Player
Star Player

Nice One Cyril wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:56 am

I really want to detest Arteta, but tbf I quite like his outlook and I thought the Goons played quite well. He gave a very good interview afterwards and, if his subs work he's a genius, if they don't the media dump on him. As a fan, if my team is losing, I want the manager to do something rather than nothing, no point sitting on the bench being hopeful.

I was underwhelmed by both defences tbh but, if Eriksen can outrun you, you should probably defend a bit deeper. As for Antony, a well taken goal but already you can see he only has one foot and I'm sure EPL defenders will be making mental notes.

And VAR got it right ;-)
After seeing Chelski & Citeh the day before, how VAR can overturn that is the reason why VAR still doesnt work :crazy:
If it wasn't ruled out, I believe it would have been a different outcome

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

haywood djablowme wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:28 pm
Nice One Cyril wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:56 am

And VAR got it right ;-)
After seeing Chelski & Citeh the day before, how VAR can overturn that is the reason why VAR still doesnt work :crazy:
If it wasn't ruled out, I believe it would have been a different outcome
It's good that VAR sends the ref to check the replay, rather than making a decision for them (apart from offside). It was a soft foul, but still a foul, so the right outcome was arrived at, albeit rather slowly.

I suspect that neither United nor Arsenal are quite as good as their fans would have us believe.
Danny Blanchflower

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

It’s nice to see us on the front foot again so I’ll enjoy it while it lasts but really can’t see us keeping this up for 50 odd games. The effort we are putting in and the our wastefulness in front of goals will eventually tell and I reckon we will fade out. Maybe not though

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

N5 1BH wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:12 am It’s nice to see us on the front foot again so I’ll enjoy it while it lasts but really can’t see us keeping this up for 50 odd games. The effort we are putting in and the our wastefulness in front of goals will eventually tell and I reckon we will fade out. Maybe not though
Gets harder for the top teams from this week with the start of European football, the League Cup in November and the FA Cup in January, the squad depths will be tested and that's without injuries.

The WC will change things this season compared to normal, some teams will have a month's rest for most of their players, but the lack of competitive games might hurt them, whilst the top clubs will be losing between 7-14 players each.

As always, luck with injuries will play a big part as it did when Leicester won. A distant memory now for the Foxes :shock:
Danny Blanchflower

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

This is where its good to have players from the likes of Wales or Australia. Just the 3 games then back home to rest

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

N5 1BH wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:27 pm This is where its good to have players from the likes of Wales or Australia. Just the 3 games then back home to rest
:lol: but true
Danny Blanchflower

haywood djablowme
Star Player
Star Player

#byebyeConte :lol:

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by thebeautifulgame »

Brendan Rodgers must be close to the chopping block following latest heavy defeat, this time away to Tottenham. To be fair it is entertaining watching them play as they attack but leave gaping holes at the back, which usually means a glut of goals in their matches. To be fair two of Son's three goals were top drawer efforts and impossible to defend against.

Rodgers contract runs until the summer of 2025 so if Leicester decide to 'get rid' they will have to pay out a fair amount of compensation for him as he would be crazy to resign(walk away) in those circumstances. Be interesting to see if they stick or twist but IMO I think it may be the latter as though I rate Rogers as a manager, one point from seven games is pretty dire. Add to that they have conceded 22 goals and players' frustrations are becoming public then it is looking more inevitable that his tenure is about to end.

Would I feel sorry for Leicester or Rogers?- Absolutely NOT! Rogers will walk away with a small fortune and be free to take another job at his leisure when it suits him. Leicester (like the majority of Clubs) are loyal only to themselves and will take the required steps to hire and fire as they see fit. Claudio Ranieri was sacked by them a mere 9 months after securing the EPL title- crazy decision and now it's come back to bite them.

haywood djablowme
Star Player
Star Player

Dominant NLD 😊

Conte is a boring manager

#foreverinourshadow

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

haywood djablowme wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:53 am Dominant NLD 😊

#foreverinourshadow
Can't really complain, the Goons were better all over the pitch and it was a fantastic strike from Partey, followed by another horrendous mistake from Lloris, but Spurs were hanging in there until that clown Royal, the worst Brazilian to ever play in the PL, decided to kick someone. Not sure it was particularly forceful or dangerous, but he was stupid enough to give the officials a chance to send him off and hopefully he'll get a straight two for that. Two seasons. :lol:

Only half time in the NLD ;-)

I seem to remember a lot of goony gloating last season, right up until the end :thumbup:
Danny Blanchflower

haywood djablowme
Star Player
Star Player

Nice One Cyril wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:29 am

#foreverinourshadow
Can't really complain, the Goons were better all over the pitch and it was a fantastic strike from Partey, followed by another horrendous mistake from Lloris, but Spurs were hanging in there until that clown Royal, the worst Brazilian to ever play in the PL, decided to kick someone. Not sure it was particularly forceful or dangerous, but he was stupid enough to give the officials a chance to send him off and hopefully he'll get a straight two for that. Two seasons. :lol:

I seem to remember a lot of goony gloating last season, right up until the end :thumbup:
Gloating - yes! More about how good our rebuild was progressing.. I always said last year we were not ready for UCL football

No comment on Conte..?? You go down to 10 men, we score a 3rd, he makes 4 subs at once & still employs 5 at the back 🤣 show some balls mate!

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

haywood djablowme wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:02 am
Nice One Cyril wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:29 am

#foreverinourshadow

Gloating - yes! More about how good our rebuild was progressing.. I always said last year we were not ready for UCL football

No comment on Conte..?? You go down to 10 men, we score a 3rd, he makes 4 subs at once & still employs 5 at the back 🤣 show some balls mate!
I think he thought, as did I, that with 10 men and 3-1 down, the game had gone, no point flogging a dead horse when you've got another match in 3 days so the subs were simply to rest players. It's a long season and being top in early October wins you sweet FA. ;-)
Danny Blanchflower

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Nice One Cyril wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:11 pm

I wasn't comparing Haaland to Sterling, merely pointing out that Sterling was nowhere near as good as everyone said, just that he was handed a dozen taps in a season by the City midfield. Haaland is a far superior striker who takes his chances, reminds me a bit of Zlatan, but he wouldn't score anywhere near as many playing for Bournemouth. What is unstoppable is the City midfield.
Erling Haaland must be asking himself how easy the EPL is. 17 goals in 11 matches.

https://twitter.com/nocontextfooty/stat ... 96/photo/1

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

eagleboy wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:12 am
Nice One Cyril wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:11 pm

Erling Haaland must be asking himself how easy the EPL is. 17 goals in 11 matches.

https://twitter.com/nocontextfooty/stat ... 96/photo/1
Man City have Southampton this weekend , chance for another home hat trick?

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

ozzie owl wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:54 amMan City have Southampton this weekend , chance for another home hat trick?
He's too big, too quick and too strong and most defenders can't handle that combination, but he doesn't really dribble past people and he doesn't seem to be shooting from outside the box, so the best way to limit his effectiveness is to stop the supply to him from out wide and in behind.

That's a great idea, except that Man City have three or four world class midfielders and you can't mark them all. However, I'd start by man marking KDB and see how that pans out, nearly everything seems to go through him and if you can just delay his passes, it might give the defenders a chance.
Danny Blanchflower

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Nice One Cyril wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:19 am
ozzie owl wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:54 amMan City have Southampton this weekend , chance for another home hat trick?
He's too big, too quick and too strong and most defenders can't handle that combination, but he doesn't really dribble past people and he doesn't seem to be shooting from outside the box, so the best way to limit his effectiveness is to stop the supply to him from out wide and in behind.

That's a great idea, except that Man City have three or four world class midfielders and you can't mark them all. However, I'd start by man marking KDB and see how that pans out, nearly everything seems to go through him and if you can just delay his passes, it might give the defenders a chance.
You have hit the nail on the head about world class midfield. If he had that service at Dortmund, how many more goals could he have scored there. Same as Lewandowski . He scored for fun at Dortmund but moved to another level at Bayern with better service.

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by GaylyColouredStumps »

So you’re saying I’d probably bag at least 12 a season if you plonked me up front for man city?
These users thanked the author Sunny Vanilla for the post:
Old Master, johndedes, theorakle, ozzie owl, suzie, thewabster, Za Dom Spremni

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Arena Oaxaca wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:11 pm

So you’re saying I’d probably bag at least 12 a season if you plonked me up front for man city?
Twelve might be a stretch given your height and mobility limitations, but if Sterling could score 20 or so, I'd happily put you down for about 3 or 4, if you play for 90 minutes in every game. ;-)
Danny Blanchflower