England pre- WC Squad

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

England pre- WC Squad

Post by ozzie owl »

How do Maguire and Shaw make this squad surely Ben White at Arsenal deserves a spot ahead them?

Sancho on fire at Man U left out surely in better form than Grealish.

Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson, Nick Pope, Aaron Ramsdale.

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold, Ben Chilwell, Conor Coady, Eric Dier, Marc Guehi, Reece James, Harry Maguire, Luke Shaw, John Stones, Fikayo Tomori, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker.

Midfielders: Jude Bellingham, Mason Mount, Kalvin Phillips, Declan Rice, James Ward-Prowse.

Forwards: Tammy Abraham, Jarrod Bowen, Phil Foden, Jack Grealish, Harry Kane, Bukayo Saka, Raheem Sterling, Ivan Toney.
Last edited by ozzie owl on Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: England pre- WC Squad

Post by Raich Carter »

ozzie owl wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:40 am How do Maguire and Shaw make this squad and Sancho left out ?

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold, Ben Chilwell, Conor Coady, Eric Dier, Marc Guehi, Reece James, Harry Maguire, Luke Shaw, John Stones, Fikayo Tomori, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker.

Midfielders: Jude Bellingham, Mason Mount, Kalvin Phillips, Declan Rice, James Ward-Prowse.

Forwards: Tammy Abraham, Jarrod Bowen, Phil Foden, Jack Grealish, Harry Kane, Bukayo Saka, Raheem Sterling, Ivan Toney.
Eric Dier and Harry Maguire, there's strength at the back.... :crazy:
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Raich Carter wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:43 am
ozzie owl wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:40 am How do Maguire and Shaw make this squad and Sancho left out ?

Eric Dier and Harry Maguire, there's strength at the back.... :crazy:
Harry must be in for his looks in the team photo :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

The squad sums up his mentality, five midfielders and about a dozen defenders.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

Nice One Cyril wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:52 pm The squad sums up his mentality, five midfielders and about a dozen defenders.
And none of the midfielders is Maddison who is playing good football in a shite team

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Raich Carter wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:34 am
Nice One Cyril wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:52 pm The squad sums up his mentality, five midfielders and about a dozen defenders.
And none of the midfielders is Maddison who is playing good football in a shite team
Agreed. I'd like him at Spurs.
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Nice One Cyril wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:40 am
Southgate would rather play 3-4-3 and with no creative midfielder. I wouldn't be surprised with Phillips injured he slots Dyer into DM spot so he can Harry Maguire can keep his CB position.

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

ozzie owl wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:20 am
Southgate would rather play 3-4-3 and with no creative midfielder. I wouldn't be surprised with Phillips injured he slots Dyer into DM spot so he can Harry Maguire can keep his CB position.
No offence NOC but Eric Dier is a dire footballer, must have some very naughty pictures of Gareth to constantly getting in that England squad

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Raich Carter wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:32 am
ozzie owl wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:20 am
No offence NOC but Eric Dier is a dire footballer, must have some very naughty pictures of Gareth to constantly getting in that England squad
Been 2 years since Dier has played for England but on form miles ahead of Maguire.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Raich Carter wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:32 amNo offence NOC but Eric Dier is a dire footballer, must have some very naughty pictures of Gareth to constantly getting in that England squad
Dire is probably a bit overboard, but I agree he's bang average. I think he plays better as the central defender of a three than in a four, but not my idea of an England player.
Danny Blanchflower

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Nice One Cyril wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:08 pm
Raich Carter wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:32 amNo offence NOC but Eric Dier is a dire footballer, must have some very naughty pictures of Gareth to constantly getting in that England squad
Dire is probably a bit overboard, but I agree he's bang average. I think he plays better as the central defender of a three than in a four, but not my idea of an England player.
Southgate will go this tried and tested 3-4- 3

3 CB
2 FB/WB
2 DM/CM
2 wide attackers with Kane in the middle

soggy sanga
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by soggy sanga »

Its not coming home.....

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

soggy sanga wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:32 pm Its not coming home.....
....to Australia ;-)
Danny Blanchflower

haywood djablowme
Star Player
Star Player

Post by haywood djablowme »

Nice One Cyril wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:08 pm
Ben White a better footballer than Dier & Maguire. Ben has shown his versatility this season & missed out all together
SAASL SUNDAY PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPION 2010 2011
SAASL CHALLENGE CUP WINNER 2008 2010 2011
SAASL CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS WINNER 2010
SAASL CICHANOWSKI SHIELD WINNER 2009 2011 2012

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Jesus, old man Henderson in for Phillips now. Still no place for Maddison, one of the most creative midfielders in the EPL.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

N5 1BH wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:03 pm
Jesus, old man Henderson in for Phillips now. Still no place for Maddison, one of the most creative midfielders in the EPL.

Southgate wants two defensive minded central midfielders who can run all day , hence he leaves out Maddison . With no natural ten in the squad I agree Maddison should be picked .

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

ozzie owl wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:21 pm

Southgate wants two defensive minded central midfielders who can run all day , hence he leaves out Maddison . With no natural ten in the squad I agree Maddison should be picked .
He's going to play six defensive players plus a keeper and four of the other five will be expected to cover for the clueless defenders he'll pick. Harry will have to drop about 40 yards to be anywhere within shouting distance of his midfield and it'll be boring as batshit. We'll get to the round of 16 and Gareth will be knighted by King Charles. I'd chop his bottle of shiraz head off with the sword ;-)
Danny Blanchflower

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Nice One Cyril wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:07 pm
ozzie owl wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:21 pm

He's going to play six defensive players plus a keeper and four of the other five will be expected to cover for the clueless defenders he'll pick. Harry will have to drop about 40 yards to be anywhere within shouting distance of his midfield and it'll be boring as batshit. We'll get to the round of 16 and Gareth will be knighted by King Charles. I'd chop his bottle of shiraz head off with the sword ;-)
If results go as predicted England likely to face France in QF.

Old Redback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Old Redback »

Surely we can do better than Henderson? Maddison deserves a last chance I would have thought - Southgate knows what he gets from Henderson (which isn't very much).
TAA can't be trusted as a defender - anyone who can't see that is blind. I do get the argument that Maguire has never let England down but Southgate made a rod for his own back when he said he would pick players on form.
Is Sancho really in that good form? Genuine question.
Not excited at a all by the player mix - probably best summed up by the fact that he's gone for Henderson over Maddison.

haywood djablowme
Star Player
Star Player

Post by haywood djablowme »

Seen better defending at a Sunday amateur game than this mornings showing! Dier, standing 10 yards off the goal scorer, didn't even look to close down the space. Walker turned so easily.. 3 of the defenders lucky to play 90mins between them this season, looked slow & off pace. I would of thought as a national coach it's your job to select players who are playing regular football for their club & in good form, not players built of reputation

I think Southgate is lucky its this close to the WC, otherwise he would of been moved on
SAASL SUNDAY PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPION 2010 2011
SAASL CHALLENGE CUP WINNER 2008 2010 2011
SAASL CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS WINNER 2010
SAASL CICHANOWSKI SHIELD WINNER 2009 2011 2012

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

haywood djablowme wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:26 am Seen better defending at a Sunday amateur game than this mornings showing! Dier, standing 10 yards off the goal scorer, didn't even look to close down the space. Walker turned so easily.. 3 of the defenders lucky to play 90mins between them this season, looked slow & off pace. I would of thought as a national coach it's your job to select players who are playing regular football for their club & in good form, not players built of reputation

I think Southgate is lucky its this close to the WC, otherwise he would of been moved on
Italy thoroughly deserved the win creating far more than a ponderous England , with almost no creative play . Southgate looks like his only game plan is sit back and hope the side sneak a goal from set play or penalty

No goals in open play in 5 Nations League games says it all.

Southgate said the England performance was a step in the right direction , WTF.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

improvement on the 4-0 loss to Hungary......
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

MegaBonus wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:14 am
improvement on the 4-0 loss to Hungary......
:lol: Gareth is a dead man walking.
Danny Blanchflower

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

England and San Marino are spoken about in the same breath..... :oops: :oops: :oops:
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

MegaBonus wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:07 pm England and San Marino are spoken about in the same breath..... :oops: :oops: :oops:
They are so bad under Southgate, I'm beginning to think that Greece will beat them at the World Cup.....

.....what's that? Greece won't be there, surely there's some mistake. :eek:
Danny Blanchflower

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: ....wow, the truth must really hurt.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Not sure how the Nations league works but doe this mean England will be relegated to a lower division after finishing bottom in group?

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

MegaBonus wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:57 pm :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: ....wow, the truth must really hurt.
Don't be hurt, I'm sure you'll make a World Cup soon, but since San Marino are not at the World Cup either, it would seem far more likely that they and Greece would be of roughly equal standard and therefore discussed together. :thumbup:
Danny Blanchflower

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

mate....no need to deflect.....only stating that San Marino and England are the only teams not to have scored from open play in over 400 minutes.... :oops: :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

you sure youre not BumToomer in disguise??

predrag
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by predrag »

As Southgate said,he personally feels the performance was a step in the right direction.