World Cup 2022 Forum

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Re: World Cup 2022 Forum

Post by MegaBonus »

Unread post by Arena Oaxaca » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:13 am

I’m sure the path forward is all under control :thumbup:
c'mon...youre better than that......whats your ideal footballing philosophy???
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by GaylyColouredStumps »

MegaBonus wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:05 am
Unread post by Arena Oaxaca » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:13 am

c'mon...youre better than that......whats your ideal footballing philosophy???
Who cares what mine is? Encourage diversity, that’s my philosophy.

Why don’t you focus more on where we are currently. What have we produced the last 10 years?
These users thanked the author Sunny Vanilla for the post:
Old Master, johndedes, theorakle, ozzie owl, suzie, thewabster, Za Dom Spremni

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

well, youve criticised the 'idealist' who have taken over the game thus was wondering whats your alternative......are these idealist (whoever they are) solely responsible for this mornings hammering?
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

MegaBonus wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:24 am well, youve criticised the 'idealist' who have taken over the game thus was wondering whats your alternative......are these idealist (whoever they are) solely responsible for this mornings hammering?
Yes, I put them blame squarely on them. But keep aspiring to beat the man cities of the world with a one size fits all approach

SP999
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by SP999 »

We need better coaches in Aus. Arnold is not up to the std required at International level.

Stop using so many imported players in the A-league / NPL / SL's.

Import better coaches, not players.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

@ Arena - who are these idealist though and what is it they did that lead to this mornings poor but predictable result?

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

Post by SP999 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:57 am

We need better coaches in Aus. Arnold is not up to the std required at International level.
we had one....but he got hounded out for following a 'curriculum'

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

MegaBonus wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:30 pm
Post by SP999 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:57 am

we had one....but he got hounded out for following a 'curriculum'
Who? Ange?

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Arena Oaxaca wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:59 am
Bomber wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:52 am
Arena Oaxaca wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:43 am
MegaBonus wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:06 am
Unread post by Arena Oaxaca » Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:18 am
MegaBonus wrote: ↑Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:07 am

in your opinion, 'ideally', how should Australia have developed, and if different to how they actually did, how should they have 'practically' done so?
It’s not about a single game, the original question was about the last 20 years
adjusted so that you can provide an answer....
Been discussed ad Infinitum

C'man, look at the current team - full of A-leaguers and Scottish leaguers, the odd div 2 and 3 in other countries here and there. The "curriculum" surrounding juniors is clearly working.
Don’t think we have yet seen the generation that started the curriculum from day 1, still have players that were coached wrong early, but certainly exciting times ahead.
Agreed, we are on track to produce some decent Conference League players pretty soon.
Ignore this signature

General Tony Cash
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by General Tony Cash »

Arena Oaxaca wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:07 am
Who cares what mine is? Encourage diversity, that’s my philosophy.

Why don’t you focus more on where we are currently. What have we produced the last 10 years?
Cummings is diverse in a 'round-about' kind of way. He's the future. :lol: :oops:

Keep up the good work FFA. :clap:

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

while I agree with you, whats the FFA got to do with a coach's selection????

General Tony Cash
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

MegaBonus wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:00 pm while I agree with you, whats the FFA got to do with a coach's selection????
FFA select the coach don't they?

I liked Arnie as a player, Sydney Croatia legend back in the day. But as national team coach, no thanks. They appointed him once before and he failed with a decent squad of players let alone with this rabble that he's selected.

predrag
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by predrag »

I am proud of Goodwin for scoring against the powerhouse that France is,but our game second half just fell apart it looked like we played with no heart,Cummings was crap,Mclaren would have been a lot better as a sub.I hope the guys get it together for the next 2 games in group.

zzz
Star Player
Star Player

Post by zzz »

Bomber wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:52 am
Arena Oaxaca wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:43 am
MegaBonus wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:06 am
Unread post by Arena Oaxaca » Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:18 am
MegaBonus wrote: ↑Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:07 am
Arena Oaxaca » Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:48 am

Not everyone
in your opinion, 'ideally', how should Australia have developed, and if different to how they actually did, how should they have 'practically' done so?
It’s not about a single game, the original question was about the last 20 years
adjusted so that you can provide an answer....
Been discussed ad Infinitum

C'man, look at the current team - full of A-leaguers and Scottish leaguers, the odd div 2 and 3 in other countries here and there. The "curriculum" surrounding juniors is clearly working.
Australia looked like an amateur team that won a wild card lottery to play in the World Cup.
France could've scored 12 this morning.

zzz
Star Player
Star Player

Post by zzz »

predrag wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:56 pm I am proud of Goodwin for scoring against the powerhouse that France is,but our game second half just fell apart it looked like we played with no heart,Cummings was crap,Mclaren would have been a lot better as a sub.I hope the guys get it together for the next 2 games in group.
The first half was just as bad. Very poor team with no technical ability parked the bus from the start.
Where is the progress from the last 18 years of a 'professional' domestic league?

Stonthialo
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Stonthialo »

Understand this... we are mediocre at Football. Plain and simple. We have achieved what we have achieved through grit, determination and organisation. We once had a coach who was ultra attacking and everyone complained. Now we have a defensive mindset coach and people are doing the same.

If you want real change, start it at grassroots. Spend money on our youth and give them pathways to an A League and B League for exposure at a younger age. Our game is a global game- not one that is played in one country. Other countries have spent billions on getting them to a standard and we are small fry. The money spent alone in Japan and China on youth development far exceeds anything that we would spend at the top tiers.

So, perspective. It's great that we made the big dance but never expect us to get into the final 8 without spending time, money and effort on building better youth and exposing them earlier.
Σκατά στα μουτρα σου

Marinos
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Marinos »

Arnie has no idea.

No disrespect to Kuol or Cummings, but he subbed on two blokes who have 2 caps between them. And if Volpato was on the bench he would've brought him on too. Yet in all his interviews he bangs on about mateship, the long journey of the qualifiers together, rewarding past performances, their record winning streak.

He played a centre back who has been out for more than 12 months with an ACL injury against the World Cup champions and probably the best attacker in the world. He'll say being 6'7 is the reason he was in there, but he was outjumped by a 5'8 Mbappe.

He is reactionary at best, and if it wasn't for Meeulensteen on the bench we'd probably see the old Mariners and Sydney FC 442 (that sadly Corica was still using and failing with last season).

Andrew Clarke our S&C was contracted back for the tournament, why wasnt he replaced when he left for some Scandinavian club side? No wonder everyone couldn't run.

The reality is we'd all smash a local coach more than we would a foreign one. I am actually scared we will appoint Popovic next, who is way too defensive-minded. And the only reason we continue to aim low is financially, which for me is baffling given the running of the A-League is now off the FAs books and they shipped in $10.5m just for showing up.

zzz
Star Player
Star Player

Post by zzz »

Stonthialo wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:31 pm Understand this... we are mediocre at Football. Plain and simple. We have achieved what we have achieved through grit, determination and organisation. We once had a coach who was ultra attacking and everyone complained. Now we have a defensive mindset coach and people are doing the same.

If you want real change, start it at grassroots. Spend money on our youth and give them pathways to an A League and B League for exposure at a younger age. Our game is a global game- not one that is played in one country. Other countries have spent billions on getting them to a standard and we are small fry. The money spent alone in Japan and China on youth development far exceeds anything that we would spend at the top tiers.

So, perspective. It's great that we made the big dance but never expect us to get into the final 8 without spending time, money and effort on building better youth and exposing them earlier.
The A league is a summer filler sport comp that in reality is part time as there's an offseason of 4 or 5 months. No relegation and no pathway, exorbitant junior fees where only soccer mum kiddies can afford to train at a big NPL club... you reap what you sow. If the next World Cup wasn't 48 teams there'd be no way Australia would qualify for it with the current trajectory.

Arnold's dire tactics aside, the talent pool is bare. Look at the clubs they play at. Nearly all second and third rate.

HEMICRANK
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by HEMICRANK »

I can only vouch for SA NPL but can say from experience that there is no pathway for the kind of talent needed to be competitive against a team like France this morning , it’s clear that to make it to even npl as a young player you need to have been born into the game or picked up by stic as a dominant 12 year old and most of us know that this system is missing those that could make a difference . Just because junior can score goals easily from six is not enough. You need smarts, pace and durability to make it , not just size , parent sponsors etc to get a foothold in npl sgainst 30 year olds let alone make it to a top league ,physical football is no match for the pace and pass accuracy we saw today

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Morocco has 10 Kevin muscats on the pitch

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Stonthialo wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:31 pm Understand this... we are mediocre at Football. Plain and simple. We have achieved what we have achieved through grit, determination and organisation. We once had a coach who was ultra attacking and everyone complained. Now we have a defensive mindset coach and people are doing the same.

Money ( or lack thereof )is a huge issue,despite massive junior participation , football gets significantly less than other codes . Without media or political power nothing will change .

Other Asian nations have past us due to massive investment in football .

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

This looks like 2002 for us

Lazy, unimaginative and nothing up front

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Maybe the German team should have just focused on football .
Last edited by ozzie owl on Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

ozzie owl wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:07 am Maybe the German team should have just focused on football .
2 of the 3 teams in our WC qualifying group that made it through had good wins.

General Tony Cash
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Arena Oaxaca wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:21 pm This looks like 2002 for us

Correct. After watching Canada play this morning I can't see us winning a game to be honest. Why he waited so long to bring the youngsters on for a bit of energy only he knows...looking after his mates is my guess.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

General Tony Cash wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:34 am
Arena Oaxaca wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:21 pm This looks like 2002 for us

Correct. After watching Canada play this morning I can't see us winning a game to be honest. Why he waited so long to bring the youngsters on for a bit of energy only he knows...looking after his mates is my guess.
I agree , Arnold's game plan looked like pinch a goal then sit back and hope for miracle.

No energy at all.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

Unread post by eagleboy » Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:43 am

against perceived powerhouses and past WC Winners....thus, qualifying via the playoffs is a fair indication of where we are at....5th best team in Asia

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Theres a few arrogant teams underestimating the opposition me thinks

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

MegaBonus wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:34 am
Unread post by eagleboy » Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:43 am

against perceived powerhouses and past WC Winners....thus, qualifying via the playoffs is a fair indication of where we are at....5th best team in Asia
Iran failed but I think they would beat us. Qatar was hopeless against a reasonable opponent. I think Sth Korea has a show against Uruguay tonight. 5th best sounds right although the Saudi's are 13 places below us. That will change.

Just Dave now
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Just Dave now »

ozzie owl wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:07 am Maybe the German team should have just focused on football .
more shiraz politics , its getting worse and many sports guilty
I may not be perfect but I'm still the closest I have ever come across