World Cup 2022 Forum

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

zzz
Star Player
Star Player

Re: World Cup 2022 Forum

Post by zzz »

eagleboy wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:56 pm Good to see a true Football front page story on the Sunday Mail

page.jpg
good to see they're finally banning phones in school classes

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

That would have to be the worst handball decision I think I've seen and the bottle of shiraz clown in yellow even checked it on the monitor and still gave it. Disgraceful reffing unless he had money on Fernandes to score two.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Nice One Cyril wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:26 am That would have to be the worst handball decision I think I've seen and the bottle of shiraz clown in yellow even checked it on the monitor and still gave it. Disgraceful reffing unless he had money on Fernandes to score two.
I've seen worse but the ref may need a refresher course. Only 1 player appealed or appeared to see it. The player was bracing for the fall. Totally accidental hand contact just like protecting your face from ball contact.

General Tony Cash
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by General Tony Cash »

Not sure I understand the 'enhanced technology of VAR' at this World Cup...not that I was complaining watching last nights game.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

IMO....this would be the relevant section.....
It is an offence if a player:
• touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised.
the question is, (in reference to the bold section), was the defenders hand in a justifiable position for that specific situation? Given he was tackling and falling to the ground, using your hand to break the fall would be justifiable for that situation....thus no penalty....

Over to the resident ref.....Hawksey???
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

MegaBonus wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:39 am IMO....this would be the relevant section.....
• touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised.
the question is, (in reference to the bold section), was the defenders hand in a justifiable position for that specific situation? Given he was tackling and falling to the ground, using your hand to break the fall would be justifiable for that situation....thus no penalty....

I haven't seen this incident so can't comment on it specifically yet.

However, the new wording of the law is a joke. So many penalties being given for things that to my mind are "ball to hand".

EDIT - I've now seen it. It's a tough one, the ball is away from the body but is it "unnatural". For me, the fact he's not looking at the ball and it's behind him means I'd give the benefit of the doubt to the defender.

As per above, ball to hand and certainly not (under the old interpretation) a penalty. The new interpretation - hard to say.

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by GaylyColouredStumps »

General Tony Cash wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:14 am Not sure I understand the 'enhanced technology of VAR' at this World Cup...not that I was complaining watching last nights game.
Spewing, I went to bed at half time thinking I don’t want to watch a Serb victory :lol:
These users thanked the author Sunny Vanilla for the post:
Old Master, johndedes, theorakle, ozzie owl, suzie, thewabster, Za Dom Spremni

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

General Tony Cash wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:14 am Not sure I understand the 'enhanced technology of VAR' at this World Cup...not that I was complaining watching last nights game.
Not sure if you're talking the Cameroon match. I like the technology on the offsides. I would have sworn the first one was easily offside and the second 50/50 at best.

General Tony Cash
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

eagleboy wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:22 am
Not sure if you're talking the Cameroon match. I like the technology on the offsides. I would have sworn the first one was easily offside and the second 50/50 at best.
They both looked off to me...I get the feeling the so called 'enhancement' seems to be favouring certain countries at this tournament, wouldn't be like FIFA to rig something... :roll: I thought overall the servs copped a raw deal from the ref last night, but those 2 on-side calls...that striker is a genius if he times his runs to perfection like that. Anyway, was fun watching.

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Both looked off but software visualizations from tracking data say no. I can’t believe my eyes

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

God is an Englishman wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:46 am
MegaBonus wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:39 am IMO....this would be the relevant section.....

I haven't seen this incident so can't comment on it specifically yet.

However, the new wording of the law is a joke. So many penalties being given for things that to my mind are "ball to hand".

EDIT - I've now seen it. It's a tough one, the ball is away from the body but is it "unnatural". For me, the fact he's not looking at the ball and it's behind him means I'd give the benefit of the doubt to the defender.

As per above, ball to hand and certainly not (under the old interpretation) a penalty. The new interpretation - hard to say.
Why Portugal's VAR handball penalty vs Uruguay was the wrong decision.. according to ESPN .

https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world- ... g-decision

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

zzz wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:52 pm
eagleboy wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:56 pm Good to see a true Football front page story on the Sunday Mail

page.jpg
good to see they're finally banning phones in school classes
:clap: :lol:
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

predrag
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by predrag »

Serbs game fell apart when defender Pavlovic went off,i must admit both offside calls to be legit looks bull to me.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

The right back on far side kept them on when ball was kicked (both times). Simple.
That said, still hate VAR and always will.
Ignore this signature

predrag
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by predrag »

One thing i wonder can computer graphics change positions of cartoon VAR players?Why not show real play with lines like in EPL?

General Tony Cash
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

predrag wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:49 pm One thing i wonder can computer graphics change positions of cartoon VAR players?Why not show real play with lines like in EPL?
Exactly. :clap:

zzz
Star Player
Star Player

Post by zzz »

predrag wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:49 pm One thing i wonder can computer graphics change positions of cartoon VAR players?Why not show real play with lines like in EPL?
Good point.

Most people are gullible to believe fancy graphics on TV like most other things, but the only compelling evidence is the line across the field.

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

I’d like to improve it even further and substitute the cartoon player for some characters. Make the striker Spider-Man whilst the defender is Midas from Fortnite.

theorakle
Star Player
Star Player

Post by theorakle »

all sides are pass back kings at this world cup. its still goals that count isnt it :?: its like playing not to lose and for me its not very entertaining as you have to get foreward in order to actualy score .unfortunately the game has changed over the years and not all for the better. too many actors shirt pullers and general sofkoks etc. refs should be able to red card simulaters early in the game and the coaches will stop it quicksmart and the game would have a chance to become manly again.:roll:

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

theorakle wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:20 pm all sides are pass back kings at this world cup. its still goals that count isnt it :?: its like playing not to lose and for me its not very entertaining as you have to get foreward in order to actualy score .unfortunately the game has changed over the years and not all for the better. too many actors shirt pullers and general sofkoks etc. refs should be able to red card simulaters early in the game and the coaches will stop it quicksmart and the game would have a chance to become manly again.:roll:
Hey Non-Greek Oracle, I thought you said you wouldn’t watch this World Cup.

Look, don’t get me wrong about those dirt-poor foreign workers who passed away as wage-slaves on constructions. You made that fair point, although I’m not sure about that 6,500 “estimate”. Surely some died of natural causes.

Anyhow that ship has sailed so why not enjoy some football? We’re up to the Round-of-Sixteen.

As for your dislike of back-passes why not send your suggestion to Law-makers I.F.A.B. that goalies have to be outside the penalty area to receive a ball at their feet.

And keep up, VAR will mop a lot of the diving issue and injury simulators.

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

lol… yes! 8)

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Straya 🇦🇺 did it!

Now into the Round-of-Sixteen this Sunday morning 5.30am (S.A. time).

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

You Frickn beauty.

Bacon8
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Bacon8 »

zzz wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:27 pm getting excited at falling over the line against minnows Tunisia :smile:

nice to see the Aussies win the kids table game :thumbup:
This aged nicely.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Hey Polonia!

Cutting it fine ;-)
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

theorakle wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:20 pm all sides are pass back kings at this world cup. its still goals that count isnt it :?: its like playing not to lose and for me its not very entertaining as you have to get foreward in order to actualy score .unfortunately the game has changed over the years and not all for the better. too many actors shirt pullers and general sofkoks etc. refs should be able to red card simulaters early in the game and the coaches will stop it quicksmart and the game would have a chance to become manly again.:roll:
Success! My time machine works, I've just gone back to 2018.
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

Frank Costanza
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Frank Costanza »

Nice One Cyril wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:31 am Hey Polonia!

Cutting it fine ;-)
That 2nd half was so difficult to sit through.
Proud of the team to get through to the knockout stage but now it's Les Bleus to deal with
WHO TOOK MY TV GUIDE???

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Frank Costanza wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:09 am

Cutting it fine ;-)
Proud of the team to get through to the knockout stage but now it's Les Bleus to deal with
Absolutely outplayed but snuck in. Pen was a bit dodgy but keeper saved, so no biggie in the end.

Just hope they at least have a crack against France and give Lewandowski some help up front.

As much as Australia and Polska have done well enough to make the last 16, realistically it will be the end of the road, but minimum was achieved at least (going past group stage).
Ignore this signature

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Bomber wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:26 am

Cutting it fine ;-)
Absolutely outplayed but snuck in. Pen was a bit dodgy but keeper saved, so no biggie in the end.

Just hope they at least have a crack against France and give Lewandowski some help up front.

As much as Australia and Polska have done well enough to make the last 16, realistically it will be the end of the road, but minimum was achieved at least (going past group stage).
It is possible for Poland v England quarter final?

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

ozzie owl wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:06 am
Bomber wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:26 am

Cutting it fine ;-)

It is possible for Poland v England quarter final?
Firstly, we would have to "dope" the French drinking water.

Just a thought, I'm thinking now we are up against France that the english would have been barracking for us two games in a row? :thumbup:
Ignore this signature