World Cup 2022 Forum

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: World Cup 2022 Forum

Post by Nice One Cyril »

MegaBonus wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:40 pmcredit to Arnie for getting the max out of the team by drilling a low defensive block and playing on the counter attack....
Did he have a choice to play any other way?
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

C U Next Saturday
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by C U Next Saturday »

Nice One Cyril wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:33 pm
MegaBonus wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:40 pmcredit to Arnie for getting the max out of the team by drilling a low defensive block and playing on the counter attack....
Isn't that the coaches role ... get the best out of his players......

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

MegaBonus wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:50 pm i agree with the sentiment (not fully) but not you rationale.....how petty and insecure of the AFL to release round 1 fixtures at 6.00am this morning..... :oops: :oops: :oops:
Exactly Mega! Wot surprising timing, NOT.

The AFL and their apologists, radio FiveAAFL, are f***k*ing transparent opportunistic k**nnts

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

Arena Oaxaca wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:21 pm I enjoyed watching the Socceroos this Cup campaign. Nice to see a pragmatic approach getting us a nice run.
Barossa Pearl, k**rnt features. You don’t mean that, you freak Vanilla Arena. You thoroughly got your rocks off after that result, didn’t ya - c**n**t!

Con M
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Con M »

zzz wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:04 pm lol the Aussies Bradburied their way into the last 16

worst team I've ever seen in that stage of the tournament, but there's something to be said for getting results with minimal footballing ability. Kudos to the management for getting them that far with a low block. It was very Australian.
B**llshit, c**aarnt features zzzzz. Go away and gloat away at the result you salivated over. C** arnt!

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by GaylyColouredStumps »

Con M wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:09 pm
Arena Oaxaca wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:21 pm I enjoyed watching the Socceroos this Cup campaign. Nice to see a pragmatic approach getting us a nice run.
Barossa Pearl, k**rnt features. You don’t mean that, you freak Vanilla Arena. You thoroughly got your rocks off after that result, didn’t ya - c**n**t!
:lol:

Nurse! Can we get some help here :lol:
These users thanked the author Sunny Vanilla for the post:
Old Master, johndedes, theorakle, ozzie owl, suzie, thewabster, Za Dom Spremni

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

MegaBonus wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:40 pm oh well.....4 years on and youre still happy with honourable losses built on guts, grit and physicality.....

i know we arent good enough but accepting the status quo isnt good enough......

credit to Arnie for getting the max out of the team by drilling a low defensive block and playing on the counter attack....
Playing the violin well requires 20 hours a week of practice. When you perfect it, you can attract 20,000 people to your concert

Playing the drums well requires 5 hours a week of practice. When you perfect it, you can attract 5000 people to your concert.

Playing the violin poorly, will get you maybe 100 people to your concert. 99 will walk out when the hear how bad it really is.

Australia has 8 hours a week to practice a musical instrument. It has chosen to play the violin for the last ten years.

It pretends it could play the violin well if it just keeps spending 8 hours a week practising.

Many people encourage this insanity.

:D

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

Nice One Cyril » Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:03 pm
MegaBonus wrote: ↑Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:10 pm
credit to Arnie for getting the max out of the team by drilling a low defensive block and playing on the counter attack....
given the similarities regarding the status of the games with the USA, would you rather their loss to Holland, or ours to the Argies.......I watched both games and i think the answer is clear....

'Playing space', which we did well (2 clean sheets) is much easier than 'playing an opponent'....the old being 'proactive' rather than 'reactive'

im happy to admit Im not an Arnie fan but you cant argue that he got the 'job done'..... firstly qualifying and secondly getting us out of the group stage.....for this he deserves credit and to continue in the job....but what strings did he add to our bow....Soutter as a no:9??????
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Arena Oaxaca wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:51 pm
MegaBonus wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:40 pm oh well.....4 years on and youre still happy with honourable losses built on guts, grit and physicality.....

Playing the violin well requires 20 hours a week of practice. When you perfect it, you can attract 20,000 people to your concert

Playing the drums well requires 5 hours a week of practice. When you perfect it, you can attract 5000 people to your concert.

Playing the violin poorly, will get you maybe 100 people to your concert. 99 will walk out when the hear how bad it really is.

Australia has 8 hours a week to practice a musical instrument. It has chosen to play the violin for the last ten years.

It pretends it could play the violin well if it just keeps spending 8 hours a week practising.

But I don’t understand…… if you include JPL, State development & the independents there are about 50 football academies in Adelaide. Merseyside is about the same size as Adelaide but only has a handful of academies. Why isn’t Adelaide better than Merseyside ? It just doesn’t make sense, why are we only playing the bongos

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

N5 1BH wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:18 pm
Arena Oaxaca wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:51 pm

But I don’t understand…… if you include JPL, State development & the independents there are about 50 football academies in Adelaide. Merseyside is about the same size as Adelaide but only has a handful of academies. Why isn’t Adelaide better than Merseyside ? It just doesn’t make sense, why are we only playing the bongos
Probably because in Merseyside academy places are based on talent, in Adelaide they're based on your bank balance.

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

What will fifa do about white face in the Senegal crowd?

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

MegaBonus wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:47 pm
Nice One Cyril » Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:03 pm
MegaBonus wrote: ↑Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:10 pm
given the similarities regarding the status of the games with the USA, would you rather their loss to Holland, or ours to the Argies.......I watched both games and i think the answer is clear....

'Playing space', which we did well (2 clean sheets) is much easier than 'playing an opponent'....the old being 'proactive' rather than 'reactive'

im happy to admit Im not an Arnie fan but you cant argue that he got the 'job done'..... firstly qualifying and secondly getting us out of the group stage.....for this he deserves credit and to continue in the job....but what strings did he add to our bow....Soutter as a no:9??????
A coach can only work with the players at his disposal and it's his job to find a system that suits and then get the best out of those players. I thought Australia rode their luck a little, but in general Arnie managed to do that, so kudos from a coaching perspective. My point was, he doesn't have the cattle to play anything other than conservatively against most WC teams. He desperately needs a world class striker and midfielder for the others to play around, but Kewell's, Viduka's and Cahill's are tough to find in a small population where football is not the national sport.
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Arena Oaxaca wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:04 am What will fifa do about white face in the Senegal crowd?
:lol: England take the knee, whilst the Africans stand tall and proud, you couldn't make it up.
Danny Blanchflower

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Nice One Cyril wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:18 am
Arena Oaxaca wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:04 am What will fifa do about white face in the Senegal crowd?
:lol: England take the knee, whilst the Africans stand tall and proud, you couldn't make it up.
Bow down to your superiors :lol:

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Back to the football, both games went pretty much as I expected, France comfortably beating a very average Poland and England ponderous in the first half, then running away with it after the first goal against an equally average Senegal without Mane. Southgate effectively moved to a 451 with Foden and Saka hugging the touchline most of the time, leaving Kane isolated up front, although he'll call it an attacking 433. Sooner or later he'll surely twig that our most creative player is our centre forward and just maybe he should put a player around him for support and to play off.

I can't see Stones and Maguire handling Mbappe and Giroud, so IMO our only chance is to be on the front foot and try to outscore them, which I think is possible, but it would require Gareth to grow a pair, so unlikely.
Danny Blanchflower

C U Next Saturday
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by C U Next Saturday »

God is an Englishman wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:51 am

Probably because in Merseyside academy places are based on talent, in Adelaide they're based on your bank balance.
Don't tell the parents that the private academies are just profit making businesses.... what pay $$$ to go to a Spanish private academy in the hope you will get noticed whilst playing games in 35C..... they promise the world and struggle to deliver an atlas

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Nice One Cyril wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:04 am Back to the football, both games went pretty much as I expected, France comfortably beating a very average Poland and England ponderous in the first half, then running away with it after the first goal against an equally average Senegal without Mane. Southgate effectively moved to a 451 with Foden and Saka hugging the touchline most of the time, leaving Kane isolated up front, although he'll call it an attacking 433. Sooner or later he'll surely twig that our most creative player is our centre forward and just maybe he should put a player around him for support and to play off.

I can't see Stones and Maguire handling Mbappe and Giroud, so IMO our only chance is to be on the front foot and try to outscore them, which I think is possible, but it would require Gareth to grow a pair, so unlikely.
Poland need to find a new coach. This one was over defensive and watching them was excruciating. I know at times you need to shut up shop, but this campaign it was over the top.
It's not unusual for a team that beats Australia goes on to with the cup, so France and Argentina both genuine contenders. ;-)
Ignore this signature

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

i wouldve thought Shaw & Trippier V Mbappe & Dembele would be more of a concern.

I thought England were absolutely ruthless this morning and it seems their bench is deep.....given France also like to play on the break, it will be fascinating to see how the respective coaches approach the game...
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

MegaBonus wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:14 am
i wouldve thought Shaw & Trippier V Mbappe & Dembele would be more of a concern.

I thought England were absolutely ruthless this morning and it seems their bench is deep.....given France also like to play on the break, it will be fascinating to see how the respective coaches approach the game...
:lol: England only have one really top quality defender in Walker and he's short of minutes, so I worry about our whole defence tbh. Having said that, I don't think the French defence is all that hot and, as a Spurs fan, I can vouch that there is always a mistake in Lloris.
Danny Blanchflower

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

Nice One Cyril wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:18 am
Maybe any white players for Senegal would do it?

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

Nice One Cyril wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:04 am Back to the football, both games went pretty much as I expected, France comfortably beating a very average Poland and England ponderous in the first half, then running away with it after the first goal against an equally average Senegal without Mane. Southgate effectively moved to a 451 with Foden and Saka hugging the touchline most of the time, leaving Kane isolated up front, although he'll call it an attacking 433. Sooner or later he'll surely twig that our most creative player is our centre forward and just maybe he should put a player around him for support and to play off.

You have to be right once.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Victor Meldrew wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:10 am

You have to be right once.
I doubt I was alone in my bold predictions. ;-)
Danny Blanchflower

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:55 am

Poland need to find a new coach. This one was over defensive and watching them was excruciating. I know at times you need to shut up shop, but this campaign it was over the top.
It's not unusual for a team that beats Australia goes on to with the cup, so France and Argentina both genuine contenders. ;-)
"It's not unusual". How many times has it happened before?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

In realistic terms, there's very little difference between a 4-5-1 and a 4-3-3. Most teams I see playing one of these formations just switches when the ball changes posession.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

God is an Englishman wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:02 pm

"It's not unusual". How many times has it happened before?
From memory, 1974, 2006 and 2018
Ignore this signature

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

My old man told us the ‘74 world cup was cancelled

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

N5 1BH wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:08 pm My old man told us the ‘74 world cup was cancelled
:lol:
Danny Blanchflower

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Fun fact. There was only 1 undefeated side in 2010 and it wasn't the winner :crazy:

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

N5 1BH wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:08 pm My old man told us the ‘74 world cup was cancelled

78 was as well

zzz
Star Player
Star Player

Post by zzz »

The instances of teams defeating Australia that didn't win the World Cup has happened more often.