Ashes 2023

This forum is for discussion of other sports.

Moderators: Randoman, Ernie Cooksey, Forum Admins

Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Ashes 2023

Post by Rookie »

MegaBonus wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:17 am Hahahaha.....you sad whinger.

When does the applying of rules stop and when does the spirit of the game kick in?

Phenomenal innings by Stokes enabled by poor bowling and strange field placings.
Why bother you know you will never win with GIAE

2-0 has a nice ring to it doesn't it, Bairstow lost all concentration because I think he could smell the pies that were being warmed in the oven.

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by GaylyColouredStumps »

In summary, Poms should be allowed to roam in and out of their crease, at their discretion, without consequence.

All other countries must remain in their crease, else face the prospect of dismissal as per the laws of the game
These users thanked the author Sunny Vanilla for the post:
Old Master, johndedes, theorakle, ozzie owl, suzie, thewabster, Za Dom Spremni

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

God is an Englishman wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:48 am
Michael wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:37 pm Image

Thank you for posting that. Hopefully that will keep Bomber quiet for a while.
:lol: , now about your Specsavers appointment, how is that going?
Ignore this signature

Frank Costanza
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Frank Costanza »

God is an Englishman wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:10 pm
Frank Costanza wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:58 pm This is getting tense.
Some atrocious bowling to Stokes just gifting him a ton.
The Bairstow wicket - just dumb to be walking out of his crease like that and smart from Carey to have a shot at the stumps.
Big hour after lunch as the high emotions play right into England's hands
No different to a mankad.

Spirit of the game?

If you're happy with getting a wicket like that then it says a lot about you.
Thankfully I don't care what you think of me.
The 'spirit of the game' is the standard typical argument from the losing team when something like this happens.
Given McCullum's discretions in the past with his on-field behaviour - his comments about the 'spirit' are hypocritical and pathetic.
The game is not damaged - all that happens is the 'spirit' gets mentioned for a few weeks and then it all goes back to normal
WHO TOOK MY TV GUIDE???

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Same old pommies, always whingeing. Even Strauss, Morgan could see it was stupid by Bairstow. If Carey was standing up to the stumps, no-one would complain, so he stood back and did same. End of the day IF over was called, then fair enough, not out. It wasnt, the ball was hurled back in the one motion and LOTG says OUT, stumped! So suck it up.
As for Broad playing high moral ground. :lol: :lol: :lol:
PS - I thought Stokes should have been MOTM - why does a player on the winning side always seem to get this award?
Ignore this signature

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

GIAE whinge was always expected. Its an English inbred trait. They can't help it.
Look at the replay. The ball was hitting the stumps as Bairstow was walking out of his stumps. You can't say something is unfair because your batsman is dumb. Brilliant stumping. :clap: :clap: :clap:

https://wwos.nine.com.au/cricket/the-as ... fe48e5788f

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Disgusting MCC members as well. Manhandling opposition players. Poor sportsmanship on and off the field by the poms. ;-)

Cooper
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Cooper »

eagleboy wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:06 am GIAE whinge was always expected. Its an English inbred trait. They can't help it.
Look at the replay. The ball was hitting the stumps as Bairstow was walking out of his stumps. You can't say something is unfair because your batsman is dumb. Brilliant stumping. :clap: :clap: :clap:

https://wwos.nine.com.au/cricket/the-as ... fe48e5788f
It should be used as a teaching moment and reminder to all that I'd you play stupid games you will be out. Mccullum should be ripping Bairstow a new one for being such an idiot.

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/th ... 21e5521b33
Can’t have it both ways chaps! Damning footage exposes Poms’ great Ashes hypocrisy
Bairstow himself might not have a leg to stand on.

On day three of the Lord’s Test, Bairstow attempted to stump Marnus Labuschagne in the exact same fashion in which he was dismissed two days later.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Whilst 2-0 is very handy, I still get the feeling that if any england team could rebound and come back from the dead and get up 3-2, it is this team. At least next test we should have a fully fit spinner.
And now that england cant afford a draw, will they still ask for flat pitches?
Ignore this signature

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

Bomber wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:17 am Whilst 2-0 is very handy, I still get the feeling that if any england team could rebound and come back from the dead and get up 3-2, it is this team. At least next test we should have a fully fit spinner.
"I wish I can get the 4 hours I spent on saturday night back, it was the most boring bowling display I have ever seen in ashes cricket."
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Michael wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:22 am
Bomber wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:17 am Whilst 2-0 is very handy, I still get the feeling that if any england team could rebound and come back from the dead and get up 3-2, it is this team. At least next test we should have a fully fit spinner.
"I wish I can get the 4 hours I spent on saturday night back, it was the most boring bowling display I have ever seen in ashes cricket."
Watching the Bombers blow the game after siren to Port was deflating enough for me. Oh well, I move on, it's only sport.
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Michael wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:22 am
Didn't you watch on Friday night when the aussies were doing it?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Michael wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:12 am https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/th ... 21e5521b33
Can’t have it both ways chaps! Damning footage exposes Poms’ great Ashes hypocrisy

On day three of the Lord’s Test, Bairstow attempted to stump Marnus Labuschagne in the exact same fashion in which he was dismissed two days later.
Laubasagne was batting out of his crease and part of the shot had him out of the crease.

He didn't move back, scratch his guard and then move out.

Completely different, nice try though.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

eagleboy wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:08 am Disgusting MCC members as well. Manhandling opposition players. Poor sportsmanship on and off the field by the poms. ;-)

If it's true then that's wrong. None of the footage I have seen has that though.

Well done to the MCC members, gave them everything they deserved and nothing like the abuse opposition players get in australia.

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by bloodypassit »

GIAE - just worry about your own backyard and spirit of cricket

Stuart Broad
Mints
Dirt in pockets
Would Cup win - after the ball accidentally deflected off his Ben Stoke's bat and went to the boundary for overthrow.

The only headline I see is Australia 2 - England & Wales 0

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

can we know add 'hypocritical cry babies' to whinging...

In the spirit of the games :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
  • Stuart Broad - doesnt walk even though he knicked it to first slip
  • Bairstow - doing the same thing on Day 3 of Lords Test
  • England Cricket Team -
    England ranout Colin De Grandhomme who was out of his crease. While not a like-for-like scenario given De Grandhomme went to take off for a single, the Kiwi was caught napping because of the LBW appeal and England was happy to not withdraw its appeal.
  • McCullum -
    In 2006, McCullum ran out Muttiah Muralitharan who had stepped out of his crease to celebrate a century for Kumar Sangakkara.
  • Foakes -
    Commentator Isabelle Westbury said Carey’s stumping was fair game, however, pointing to how Ben Foakes’ controversial stumping of Andrew Balbirnie in 2019 didn’t draw the same amount of criticism in England.
we could go on, but you get the point....
Last edited by MegaBonus on Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by bloodypassit »

Just remember who started it all. It was all tea n scones until Douglas Jardine turned up.

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

God is an Englishman wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:37 am
Michael wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:12 am https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/th ... 21e5521b33

Laubasagne was batting out of his crease and part of the shot had him out of the crease.

He didn't move back, scratch his guard and then move out.

Completely different, nice try though.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

sore LOSER!

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

God is an Englishman wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:39 am
eagleboy wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:08 am Disgusting MCC members as well. Manhandling opposition players. Poor sportsmanship on and off the field by the poms. ;-)

If it's true then that's wrong. None of the footage I have seen has that though.

Well done to the MCC members, gave them everything they deserved and nothing like the abuse opposition players get in australia.
:lol:

Last edited by Michael on Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

For me:
Sandpaper = cheating
Underarm = not in spirit of game (but within laws at the time)
Bairstow stumping = Over not called, Carey's throw was in the one motion, like any other valid stumping = OUT (and suck it up)
Broad = possibly the game's biggest hypocrite

The longer the poms take to move on from this, the more it will be their problem.
Ignore this signature

Black Panther
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Black Panther »

God is an Englishman wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:32 am
Black Panther wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:27 am Someone asked this before but at what point does a stumping become a run out?

I thought it was a run out when the batsmen is attempting a run but in this case it went as a run out so there goes that theory.
When the batter hits it down the ground, skims the bowler and hits the stumps at the other end it's a run out even if the batsman at the non striker's end hasn't attempted a run.
El Paso del Norte wrote:I have the opposite problem, mine is so small you can't see it!

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

Bomber wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:07 am For me:
Sandpaper = cheating
Underarm = not in spirit of game (but within laws at the time)
Bairstow stumping = Over not called, Carey's throw was in the one motion, like any other valid stumping = OUT (and suck it up)
Broad = possibly the game's biggest hypocrite

The longer the poms take to move on from this, the more it will be their problem.
I was hoping Stokes could get the win for the Poms, would make it an interesting Ashes.
The Ozzies bowling to him after the correct run-out to ginger meggs, was on par to the Pom's on saturday night.

Just Dave now
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Just Dave now »

my god storm in a teacup , after starc's catch and everyone laughing after the not out it came back to bite the poms when a decision didnt go their way , karma and sore losers
I may not be perfect but I'm still the closest I have ever come across

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Black Panther wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:07 am
God is an Englishman wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:32 am
Black Panther wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:27 am Someone asked this before but at what point does a stumping become a run out?

I thought it was a run out when the batsmen is attempting a run but in this case it went as a run out so there goes that theory.
When the batter hits it down the ground, skims the bowler and hits the stumps at the other end it's a run out even if the batsman at the non striker's end hasn't attempted a run.
Then why was he out of his crease?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Just Dave now wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:25 am my god storm in a teacup , after starc's catch and everyone laughing after the not out it came back to bite the poms when a decision didnt go their way , karma and sore losers
Starc didn't catch it though. They're not equivalent.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

MegaBonus wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:52 am can we know add 'hypocritical cry babies' to whinging...

• England Cricket Team -
    England ranout Colin De Grandhomme who was out of his crease. While not a like-for-like scenario given De Grandhomme went to take off for a single, the Kiwi was caught napping because of the LBW appeal and England was happy to not withdraw its appeal.
  • McCullum -
    In 2006, McCullum ran out Muttiah Muralitharan who had stepped out of his crease to celebrate a century for Kumar Sangakkara.
  • Foakes -
    Commentator Isabelle Westbury said Carey’s stumping was fair game, however, pointing to how Ben Foakes’ controversial stumping of Andrew Balbirnie in 2019 didn’t draw the same amount of criticism in England.

Broad didn't walk. Neither do aussies.

Bairstow attempted a stumping when laubasagne was out of his crease playing a shot.

De Grandhomme - see above with Laubasagne.

I didn't realise McCullum played for England.

I will try and look up the Foakes one.

Aussies getting desperate trying to justify this now.

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

God is an Englishman wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 12:01 pm
MegaBonus wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:52 am can we know add 'hypocritical cry babies' to whinging...

• England Cricket Team -
  • McCullum -
  • Foakes -

Broad didn't walk. Neither do aussies.

Bairstow attempted a stumping when laubasagne was out of his crease playing a shot.

De Grandhomme - see above with Laubasagne.

I didn't realise McCullum played for England.

I will try and look up the Foakes one.

Aussies getting desperate trying to justify this now.

Just Dave now
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Just Dave now »

the only desperate one around here is giae , still sobbing
I may not be perfect but I'm still the closest I have ever come across

Cooper
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Cooper »

These justifications are hilarious.
In the end the result is what matters. Hopefully we can keep it up and retain the ashes