Ashes 2023

This forum is for discussion of other sports.

Moderators: Randoman, Ernie Cooksey, Forum Admins

Just Dave now
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Ashes 2023

Post by Just Dave now »

even a high profile indian cricketer gives the thumbs up
Attachments
357742976_834464928041225_7690625973837168637_n.jpg
357742976_834464928041225_7690625973837168637_n.jpg (50.22 KiB) Viewed 62675 times
I may not be perfect but I'm still the closest I have ever come across

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Just Dave now wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:40 am even a high profile indian cricketer gives the thumbs up

:lol:

Come on, you're actually using Ashwin as your moral compass.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Just Dave now wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:30 am i will listen to an experienced umpire who knows the rules rather than some whinger in melt down mode

That would be a relevant post if you can show me where I said it wasn't out.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Cooper wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:39 am We can all agree the correct decisions were made by the umpires regarding the stumping and droped catch.

Onto the next test and hopefully we can seal the series win and I don't doubt that it will be another good test.

Why are so many aussies whingeing about Starc being caugh cheating then?

It seems they want the rules to apply to the stumping but not the catch. Hypocrisy?

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

I still say if the reverse happened, I'd be more miffed with the batsman's naivety, rather than the opposition. Time for each team to regroup and worry about the next test, which is still going to have huge interest.
Ignore this signature

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

God is an Englishman wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:33 am
Cooper wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:39 am We can all agree the correct decisions were made by the umpires regarding the stumping and droped catch.

Onto the next test and hopefully we can seal the series win and I don't doubt that it will be another good test.

It seems they want the rules to apply to the stumping but not the catch. Hypocrisy?
C'mon, the outcry for one incident has been far greater than the Starc one. After some head scratching, our boys got on with the game and didn't carry on like pork chops afterwards.
Ignore this signature

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

OK.....lets move on....

who has been your favourite TV commentator pairing???

Atherton and Ponting for me....
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Cooper
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Cooper »

God is an Englishman wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:33 am

I havent seen any whinging by us at all. Ive seen people say ok we didnt get that one and moved on.
The english on the other hand have gone way over the top, members banned etc for their whinging and carrying on.
Both decisions were correct simple as that.

Just Dave now
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Just Dave now »

God is an Englishman wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:31 am
Just Dave now wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:40 am even a high profile indian cricketer gives the thumbs up

he has more moral compass than broad

Just Dave now
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Just Dave now »

God is an Englishman wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:32 am
Just Dave now wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:30 am i will listen to an experienced umpire who knows the rules rather than some whinger in melt down mode

i wasnt referring to you singular but at least you acknowledge being the whinger for a change , so kudos to you for finally admitting it :thumbup:

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Just Dave now wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:32 am

Why do you think Broad has no moral compass?
Last edited by God is an Englishman on Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Just Dave now wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:35 am
God is an Englishman wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:32 am

i wasnt referring to you singular but at least you acknowledge being the whinger for a change , so kudos to you for finally admitting it :thumbup:
Well played.

zzz
Star Player
Star Player

Post by zzz »

is he still whingeing? :lol:

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

zzz wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:05 pm is he still whingeing? :lol:

Well played is whingeing now. :lol:

Typical aussie

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Australians - stop whingeing, the umpires gave it, the rules are the rules. He was out of his crease.

Also australians - (whingeing) the umpire was wrong. Starc caught it, the rules are wrong.

Hypocritical whingeing. It's the aussie way.

zzz
Star Player
Star Player

Post by zzz »

nobody I know is complaining about Starc catch. If they are they don't know the rules.

meanwhile not all poms are whingers...especially the ones who do understand the game (present company excluded)...
https://twitter.com/WisdenCricket/statu ... 25089?s=20

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

zzz wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:59 pm nobody I know is complaining about Starc catch. If they are they don't know the rules.

meanwhile not all poms are whingers...especially the ones who do understand the game (present company excluded)...
https://twitter.com/WisdenCricket/statu ... 25089?s=20

Then a lot of aussies including McGrath and Ponting don't know the LAWS.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

i think its only fair if we give the English people the right of reply......

Former British prime minister John Major......
“The real breach of the spirit of cricket was in the Long Room at Lords, that was unforgivable and I hope it will not happen again,” he said, in a discussion with former Australian prime minister John Howard.

While down on the loss, cricket fanatic Ella Toney, said Australia had every right to rub it in.
“No-one likes a whinger or a sore loser and the fact is England lost because of their inability to bat in the first innings, not Jonny Bairstow having a brain fade, Australia was right to report it hard,” the Surrey resident said.
“The whingeing and booing is all part of the Ashes, it’s meant to be competitive. If we want to dish it out, we’ve got to be able to take it,” she said.
Exeter University student Toby Jennings, 20, said he agreed England was “whingeing too much.”

so there you have it....POMS whinging about whinging POMS!!!
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

MegaBonus wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:14 pm i think its only fair if we give the English people the right of reply......

Former British prime minister John Major......
“The real breach of the spirit of cricket was in the Long Room at Lords, that was unforgivable and I hope it will not happen again,” he said, in a discussion with former Australian prime minister John Howard.

While down on the loss, cricket fanatic Ella Toney, said Australia had every right to rub it in.
“No-one likes a whinger or a sore loser and the fact is England lost because of their inability to bat in the first innings, not Jonny Bairstow having a brain fade, Australia was right to report it hard,” the Surrey resident said.
“The whingeing and booing is all part of the Ashes, it’s meant to be competitive. If we want to dish it out, we’ve got to be able to take it,” she said.
Exeter University student Toby Jennings, 20, said he agreed England was “whingeing too much.”

so there you have it....POMS whinging about whinging POMS!!!

You say whingeing, normal people would say "having a conversation on a controversial subject".

zzz
Star Player
Star Player

Post by zzz »

is sending off batsmen who've been gotten out with a tirade of abuse within the "spirit of cricket"?

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

zzz wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:08 pm is sending off batsmen who've been gotten out with a tirade of abuse within the "spirit of cricket"?

Or, confronting the team when they walked into their change rooms?
Must say Usman had alot of balls confronting the drunken baffoons whom were hurling abuse at the ozzie players.
pity, not many more men in the team, only boys with no "balls"
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Michael wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:27 pm
zzz wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:08 pm is sending off batsmen who've been gotten out with a tirade of abuse within the "spirit of cricket"?

Must say Usman had alot of balls confronting the drunken baffoons whom were hurling abuse at the ozzie players.

Abuse? What was said that made it abuse. This is the clearest example of aussie whingeing known.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Possibly the best article written on it that I have read.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2023/07/03/c ... RSUeHIRxbk

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Tirade of abuse :lol:

Again, something the aussies have been doing for decades but whinge when it comes back at them.

Popeye Magoo
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Popeye Magoo »

Not a huge fan of cricket but I still can't understand when rules have been followed that there is still all this "spirit of game" business. If rules are followed and applied, what is the problem? If there are spirit issues, then change the rules so they are clear cut, and everyone can stop all this problematic righteousness.
For transparency, I don't believe a football team is obliged to kick the ball out if a player is down either. It is up to the referee to determine the severity and call a halt to the game if deemed serious enough.
I might be old, senile, short sighted and a poor driver but give me some spinach and I'll have you for breakfast!

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

God is an Englishman wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:34 pm

Abuse? What was said that made it abuse. This is the clearest example of aussie whingeing known.
hmmm
https://www.skynews.com.au/australia-ne ... 3391ffd02c
Footage has captured the moment the Australian cricketers were verbally abused by several Marylebone Cricket Club members during their victory in the Lord's Ashes Test.

The Australian cricketers were walking through the famous Lord's Pavilion on day five of the second Test when members viciously abused them on their way to the change rooms.
"It is alleged players and staff from the Australian team were verbally abused, with some being physically contacted, as they made their way to lunch through the member's area," the statement read.

The MCC then identified three members involved in the incident and apologised to the Australian players for the behaviour.

"They will not be permitted back to Lord’s whilst the investigation takes place and were informed of this by MCC Chief Executive, Guy Lavender, this evening," a statement read
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

There was also many comparisons to an earlier incident in the match which was marred with controversy.

The Australians had a wicket chalked out after the umpires deemed a Mitchell Starc catch was not legal because he had touched the ground with the ball.

Starc caught the ball near the boundary well above the ground with two hands before sliding on his knees and in the process put the ball on the ground to stop his slide.

The umpires gave the catch out but the decision was overturned upon review as it was deemed the ground was used to catch the ball.

Many fans were quick to point out that the English had been crying out for the letter of the law in that instance but wanted to see the spirit of cricket take over in their benefit.

"The laughable hypocrisy of English fans using slang words & insults for Australia while lecturing about the 'spirit' & manners of the gentleman's game!" Reuters journalist Kanishka Raj Singh tweeted.

"They wanted to follow the cricket law literally yesterday in Starc's catch. Now they don't want to follow it for Bairstow."

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Michael wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:43 pm

hmmm
Footage has captured the moment the Australian cricketers were verbally abused by several Marylebone Cricket Club members during their victory in the Lord's Ashes Test.

The Australian cricketers were walking through the famous Lord's Pavilion on day five of the second Test when members viciously abused them on their way to the change rooms.
"It is alleged players and staff from the Australian team were verbally abused, with some being physically contacted, as they made their way to lunch through the member's area," the statement read.

The MCC then identified three members involved in the incident and apologised to the Australian players for the behaviour.

"They will not be permitted back to Lord’s whilst the investigation takes place and were informed of this by MCC Chief Executive, Guy Lavender, this evening," a statement read

So, what was said that makes it abuse?

Even khawaja didn't use that word.

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

God is an Englishman wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:53 pm
Michael wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:43 pm

hmmm

So, what was said that makes it abuse?

Even khawaja didn't use that word.
Ask your mates, they were probably the ones ejected

Just Dave now
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Just Dave now »

God is an Englishman wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:39 am
Just Dave now wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:32 am

Why do you think Broad has no moral compass?
because when it suits him spirit of game doesnt apply , such a hypocrite . bigger whinger than you ! fancy saying to carey you will always be remembered for that , yes i agree brilliant piece of wicketkeeping maybe !
and so much for bazball and entertainment , looks like your team will be lighter in pocket , lol

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/cricket ... c2f0&ei=59