Ashes 2023

This forum is for discussion of other sports.

Moderators: Randoman, Ernie Cooksey, Forum Admins

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Ashes 2023

Post by eagleboy »

Just Dave now wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:44 pm oh the irony , you havent shut up since your mob got caught out with so many hypocrisies . have you collected all those toys tossed from your pram yet ? next ashes tour here we should all buy dummies and politely hand them out to the barmy army
It would be nice to start a thread on things That GIAE doesn't whinge about, but it would end up a blank sheet. ;-)

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by GaylyColouredStumps »

lol is the shït talker still going? :lol:
These users thanked the author Sunny Vanilla for the post:
Old Master, johndedes, theorakle, ozzie owl, suzie, thewabster, Za Dom Spremni

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

eagleboy wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:38 pm
Just Dave now wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:44 pm oh the irony , you havent shut up since your mob got caught out with so many hypocrisies . have you collected all those toys tossed from your pram yet ? next ashes tour here we should all buy dummies and politely hand them out to the barmy army
It would be nice to start a thread on things That GIAE doesn't whinge about, but it would end up a blank sheet. ;-)
Name one

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

It's called educating you on how you're wrong.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

MegaBonus wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 2:44 pm
Post by God is an Englishman » Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:12 pm

What's your opinion on Starc's non catch?

I have already given my opinion......something along the lines...'technically, he's out'.....mmm where else can this be applied?

How's this for a deal.

You provide a video showing Bairstow trying to stump someone who is in his crease and then leaves to do some "gardening" and I will post that you were right and leave FN.

If you can't then you post "GIAE was right" and leave.

I'll give you 24 hours. 2pm - 6 July 2023. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

OMG....you really are a small man....thinking your presence or not on here is a concern of mine....you think too highly of yourself :clown: :clown: :clown:

Wouldn't matter if you cared or not. If you were confident then you would happily take the bet.

You're not.

Technically he was not out. In reality he was not out. The laws of the game are very clear on this. Why do you think the laws of the game are wrong in this situation?

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

what are you on about???????? Are you drinking again????
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

MegaBonus wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:54 pm what are you on about???????? Are you drinking again????

Who is this aimed at?

Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Rookie »

God is an Englishman wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:44 pm
eagleboy wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:24 pm Spirit of the game. Poms Full of Shit.

https://youtu.be/3_Y4th4AOLQ

Are the aussies still whingeing about this?

It appears England have moved on, pity the aussies can't.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I miss be something here, even the UK Prime Minister got involved ffs

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Rookie wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:59 pm
God is an Englishman wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:44 pm
eagleboy wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 1:24 pm Spirit of the game. Poms Full of Shit.

https://youtu.be/3_Y4th4AOLQ

Are the aussies still whingeing about this?

It appears England have moved on, pity the aussies can't.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I miss be something here, even the UK Prime Minister got involved ffs

On .Monday, it's now Wednesday.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

who....the English 'Whine minister'...... :clap: :clap: :clap:
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

God is an Englishman wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:47 pm
Name one
I'm agreeing with you here, I can't think of one thing you don't whinge about. ;-)

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

eagleboy wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:36 pm
God is an Englishman wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:47 pm
Name one
I'm agreeing with you here, I can't think of one thing you don't whinge about. ;-)
I'll help you

Cricket
Football
Politics
Life

Black Panther
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Black Panther »

God is an Englishman wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:50 pm
I'll help you

Cricket
Football
Politics
Life
Fake news
El Paso del Norte wrote:I have the opposite problem, mine is so small you can't see it!

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Best wind up to come. Bairstow batting - have several shies at the stumps. See if he has learned anything. ;-)
Ignore this signature

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

Back on topic, if the POMS win the toss they will bowl first.
Watch Ginger megs attempt to stump ozzie batsmen.....
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:03 am Best wind up to come. Bairstow batting - have several shies at the stumps. See if he has learned anything. ;-)

Bairstow should have a shy at the stumps every ball just in case someone steps out.

Broad should stop his run up every ball just in case the non striker steps out of his crease.

England batsmen should ask Cummins every ball if they can leave the crease now.

England should ask the umpires for every catch if they are sure the fielder didn't forget he couldn't put the ball on the ground.

England batsmen should move away from the crease whenever a bowler runs in because they were distracted.

England batsmen should get new gloves at the end of every over.

Bairstow should get new keeping gloves at the end of every over.

All of these are completely within the laws. I mean completely against the spirit of the game but heh! As long as it's within the laws.

More importantly, it would be hysterical to watch.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

God is an Englishman wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:34 am
Bomber wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:03 am Best wind up to come. Bairstow batting - have several shies at the stumps. See if he has learned anything. ;-)

Bairstow should have a shy at the stumps every ball just in case someone steps out.

Broad should stop his run up every ball just in case the non striker steps out of his crease.

England should ask the umpires for every catch if they are sure the fielder didn't forget he couldn't put the ball on the ground.

England batsmen should move away from the crease whenever a bowler runs in because they were distracted.

All of these are completely within the laws. I mean completely against the spirit of the game but heh! As long as it's within the laws.

Bring it on! All the time wasted brings more chance of draw, which is good enough for us. :thumbup:
Ignore this signature

Cooper
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Cooper »

Bomber wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:39 am

Bring it on! All the time wasted brings more chance of draw, which is good enough for us. :thumbup:
Slow over rate fines etc, i see this as a win for us no matter the outcome.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

Silly POMS.....develop the laws for the game but then expect others not to follow them if it doesnt suit them....

pretty simple really.....if all country members of the ICC want to enshrine various expectations per the 'spirit of the game', change the Laws.....
Last edited by MegaBonus on Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

MegaBonus wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:45 am
Silly POMS.....develop the rules for the game but then expect others not to follow them if it doesnt suit them....

pretty simple really.....if all country members of the ICC want to enshrine various expectations per the 'spirit of the game', change the Laws.....

Why would they ask the ICC?

Even football has things that aren't in the law but are considered the "spirit of the game".

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

^^^^^^

who said anything about asking the ICC?

and dont be juvenile enough to ask me to quote you....

Just Dave now
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Just Dave now »

God is an Englishman wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:49 am
Silly POMS.....develop the rules for the game but then expect others not to follow them if it doesnt suit them....

Even football has things that aren't in the law but are considered the "spirit of the game".
kicking a ball out if player down is one what else is there ? rarely see anyone go up to a ref and admit it wasnt their free kick and ask for it to be over-turned even if its pretty clear
I may not be perfect but I'm still the closest I have ever come across

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Just Dave now wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:11 am

kicking a ball out if player down is one what else is there ? rarely see anyone go up to a ref and admit it wasnt their free kick and ask for it to be over-turned even if its pretty clear
Giving it back after that.

Robbie Fowler said it wasn't a foul.

I've seen Millwall allow a goal to be scored against them after scoring accidentaly when giving the ball back after that. (FIFA fair play award for that).

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

kicking a ball out if player down is one what else is there ?
even this is now not preferred.....it should be at the discretion of the ref...

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

waa waa waa
:sad: :( :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

Poms pulled the trigger dropping Jimmy and Tongue and injured Pope with Wood, Woakes & Ali.

Boland to replace Hazlewood

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

dont forget Lyon is also out....straight swap....

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

Simon Taufel, the former ICC elite umpire who is presently a member of the MCC laws sub-committee, has suggested Australia had not breached the Spirit of Cricket when Alex Carey stumped Jonny Bairstow on the fifth day of the second Ashes Test at Lord's.

"Was Jonny Bairstow's dismissal at Lords a breach of the Spirit of Cricket?" Taufel wrote in a post on LinkedIn. "This is a question I have been inundated with, so I thought it best to share my thoughts publicly by asking everyone a question or eight to consider …

"Have you seen any umpire tell a fielding side that the keeper standing back is not allowed to attempt a stumping?
"Was there a complaint from anyone when Bairstow tried to stump Marnus exactly the same way in the first innings?
"What has Jonny Bairstow said about his dismissal? He has been very quiet. Why?
"My experience is when people don't like a dismissal under the Laws of Cricket, they cite the Spirit of Cricket to support their view.
"Which part of the codified Preamble (the Spirit of Cricket) was breached by the fielding side?
"What did the fielding side do in effecting a legitimate dismissal that unfairly impacted the ability of the batter in their attempt not to be dismissed? (Did they run into him or distract him or prevent him making good his ground?)
"Should a batter be immune from dismissal as per the Laws by simply being negligent (and leaving his ground too early)?
"Did England retire Ben Duckett when they disagreed with the Starc catch decision as per the Laws and umpires' decision?

"The hypocrisy and lack of consistency from some people and groups is quite interesting and concerning for the future of our game. Maybe I am the odd one out here? The good news is that we are actively engaged with Test cricket, the best form of the game," he ended.

Preamble to the Laws: Spirit of Cricket
Cricket owes much of its appeal and enjoyment to the fact that it should be played not only according to the Laws, but also within the Spirit of Cricket. The major responsibility for ensuring fair play rests with the captains, but extends to all players, match officials and, especially in junior cricket, teachers, coaches and parents.
Respect is central to the Spirit of Cricket.
Respect your captain, team-mates, opponents and the authority of the umpires.
Play hard and play fair.
Accept the umpire's decision.
Create a positive atmosphere by your own conduct, and encourage others to do likewise.
Show self-discipline, even when things go against you.
Congratulate the opposition on their successes, and enjoy those of your own team.
Thank the officials and your opposition at the end of the match, whatever the result.
Cricket is an exciting game that encourages leadership, friendship and teamwork, which brings together people from different nationalities, cultures and religions, especially when played within the Spirit of Cricket.

Bairstow's dismissal took place when England were five down and needed a further 178 runs to win at Lord's. He ducked underneath a short ball from Cameron Green, scratched the crease with his boot and walked down the pitch towards his partner Ben Stokes at the non-striker's end.

Before Bairstow had begun to leave his ground, wicketkeeper Carey had gathered the ball on the bounce and, in one motion, under-armed a throw at stumps at the striker's end. The on-field umpires referred the decision to TV umpire Marais Erasmus, who gave the batter out - and the dismissal was recorded as stumped. Bairstow glared at the Australian huddle as he walked off and boos rang out around Lord's. The crowd - who were largely subdued throughout the first four days of this Test - then chanted repeatedly: "Same old Aussies, always cheating." And as the Australian players walked through the Lord's Long Room at the lunch interval, they were booed and abused by some MCC members.

Australia went on to win the Lord's Test by 43 runs and took a 2-0 lead in the Ashes, but the furore over Bairstow's dismissal has only snowballed as the series moves to Headingley on Thursday.

While Australia captain Pat Cummins defended his decision to appeal for the wicket, his England counterpart Ben Stokes said he wouldn't want to win that way. England's coach Brendon McCullum said the teams wouldn't be sharing a beer any time soon, and that the nature of the dismissal would galvanise England for the rest of the series.

The prime ministers of the two countries - Rishi Sunak and Anthony Albanese - have also got involved, taking their teams' sides.

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

God is an Englishman wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:55 am
Just Dave now wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:11 am

Giving it back after that.

Robbie Fowler said it wasn't a foul.

I've seen Millwall allow a goal to be scored against them after scoring accidentaly when giving the ball back after that. (FIFA fair play award for that).

Wenger asked to replay an entire cup game v Sheffield utd when a couple of our foreigners scored from a throw in instead of giving the ball back after injury. Pure class even if we lost the rematch

Vettori recalled Collingwood………..Cummins refused to recall Bairstow. It is what it is