Ashes 2023

This forum is for discussion of other sports.

Moderators: Randoman, Ernie Cooksey, Forum Admins

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Re: Ashes 2023

Post by MegaBonus »

“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Rookie »

MegaBonus wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:36 am Image
Yeh but surely the Aussies cheated and doctored the rain

I find it hilarious that the standard dreary weather could have cost the Poms the series, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: , and i say could have coz you never know if they Aussies would have held on

Another off to the Oval for the 5th test dead rubber

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Not a dead rubber (5th test) to me, but the irony of their own weather (this time) working against them. Loving Piers Morgan's meltdowns.
I thought they would have declared earlier too, given they knew the importance of the match, and knowing the weather forecast.
Ignore this signature

Not In The Mood
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Not In The Mood »

Bomber wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:50 am Loving Piers Morgan's meltdowns.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Rookie wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:20 am
MegaBonus wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:36 am Image
Yeh but surely the Aussies cheated and doctored the rain

I find it hilarious that the standard dreary weather could have cost the Poms the series, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: , and i say could have coz you never know if they Aussies would have held on

Another off to the Oval for the 5th test dead rubber
Clearly not a dead rubber.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Bomber wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:50 am Not a dead rubber (5th test) to me, but the irony of their own weather (this time) working against them. Loving Piers Morgan's meltdowns.
I thought they would have declared earlier too, given they knew the importance of the match, and knowing the weather forecast.

Declaration wouldn't have made a difference. As it was still about time and an earlier declaration would have seen us 50 (??) Runs shorter and you would have then gone past our score in that time.

Disappointing for the only non close test to end in a draw but we now beat you at the Oval to extend the time that you haven't won a series in England.

Cooper
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Cooper »

Ashes retained is nothing but a good thing. Lets hope that my original prediction is correct, and we can win the series 3-1

Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Rookie »

This from Michael Vaughan, and then you wonder why they are called whinges

Bairstow still WHINGING about the stumping, move on FFS and stop eating all the pies, NEXT

“I always say in a five-match series the best team always wins ... it’s such a long process you always end up with the best team winning,” Vaughan said.

“I honestly think England have been the better team for the four matches.

“It’s the wrong way to decide a Test match, let alone an Ashes-defining Test match.

“I know we’ve beaten Australia a few times over the last 20 years but I don’t remember a Test match where England have completely dominated and bullied Australia.”

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Rookie wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:02 am This from Michael Vaughan, and then you wonder why they are called whinges

Bairstow still WHINGING about the stumping, move on FFS and stop eating all the pies, NEXT

“I always say in a five-match series the best team always wins ... it’s such a long process you always end up with the best team winning,” Vaughan said.

“It’s the wrong way to decide a Test match, let alone an Ashes-defining Test match.

“I know we’ve beaten Australia a few times over the last 20 years but I don’t remember a Test match where England have completely dominated and bullied Australia.”
Where is the whinge there?

This is the prime example of why you are great at whingeing but don't actually know what it is?

I'd love to know what part you disagree with in his comments.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Are any of you going to call out laubasagne as a cheat?

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

^^^^^^^^

for playing within the rules??????

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

MegaBonus wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:18 am ^^^^^^^^

for playing within the rules??????

Broad was called a cheat by many for doing the same.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

God is an Englishman wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:07 am
Bomber wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:50 am Not a dead rubber (5th test) to me, but the irony of their own weather (this time) working against them. Loving Piers Morgan's meltdowns.

Declaration wouldn't have made a difference. As it was still about time and an earlier declaration would have seen us 50 (??) Runs shorter and you would have then gone past our score in that time.

Disappointing for the only non close test to end in a draw but we now beat you at the Oval to extend the time that you haven't won a series in England.
It could have made a difference. We would have batted sooner, and maybe felt more pressure, its not like you can say that exactly the same situation (5/214) would have ensued, especially after the bad light/call for playing slow bowlers by the umpires when it happened.
Lets face it, england have played some pretty high risk cricket but sometimes I actually thought they bottled some key tactics especially when we looked under the pump.
Answer to your question:
Yes, the South african can be called a cheat. Shame the majority of england crowds won't say same about Broad, even though in Marnus's case, umpire review came up with the right decision, so no real injustice occurred.
Ignore this signature

Frank Costanza
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Frank Costanza »

God is an Englishman wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:11 am Are any of you going to call out laubasagne as a cheat?
Yes I will label him as that - just as I will Broad.
However I agree neither of them actually cheated - it's just an easy label to apply to both
WHO TOOK MY TV GUIDE???

Frank Costanza
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Frank Costanza »

GIAE - if Aussies win the series 3-1 will you admit that they're currently and undisputedly a better Test side than England?
WHO TOOK MY TV GUIDE???

Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Rookie »

God is an Englishman wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:10 am
Rookie wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:02 am This from Michael Vaughan, and then you wonder why they are called whinges

This is the prime example of why you are great at whingeing but don't actually know what it is?

MY GOD, you are an absolute peanut

Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Rookie »

CONSTANST WHINGER, YOU WIN GIAE I AM DONE WITH YOUR SHITE :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

respond all you like but I WONT Be seeing your response

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

Wow, the Ozzies must of finally spoken to the Rain gods to save themselves.
The played soo bad, tehir bowling was a joke!

England was robbed!
Engalnd was the best team in that test, their bowling was amazing to watch!
This is a perfect example when the most deserving team didnt win!

Any Ozzie who celebrates the ashes on that performance, should hang their heads in shame.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

God is an Englishman wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:44 am
zzz wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:31 am obviously God isn't an Englishman :lol:

Of course he is.
Nope, your wrong again!
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by bloodypassit »

Last edited by bloodypassit on Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by bloodypassit »

bloodypassit wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:23 pm
Michael wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:12 pm Wow, the Ozzies must of finally spoken to the Rain gods to save themselves.

England was robbed!

Any Ozzie who celebrates the ashes on that performance, should hang their heads in shame.
No the Ozzies will retain the Ashes on the fact they won the first 2 tests ....so I guess take a seat Michael if you understand the concept of a test series
Michael wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:12 pm Wow, the Ozzies must of finally spoken to the Rain gods to save themselves.

England was robbed!

No the Ozzies will retain the Ashes on the fact they won the first 2 tests ....so I guess take a seat Michael if you dont understand the concept of a test series

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

bloodypassit wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:24 pm
bloodypassit wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:23 pm

England was robbed!

No the Ozzies will retain the Ashes on the fact they won the first 2 tests ....so I guess take a seat Michael if you understand the concept of a test series

England was robbed!

No the Ozzies will retain the Ashes on the fact they won the first 2 tests ....so I guess take a seat Michael if you dont understand the concept of a test series

ok Boss....

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Rookie wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:12 am
God is an Englishman wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:10 am

MY GOD, you are an absolute peanut

Just to be clear, God is an Englishman but I'm not actually God. You don't need to call me that.

Where is the whinge here?

I'd love to know what part you disagree with.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Whingeing Piers Morgan branded as a hypocritical flog by Merv Hughes after claiming there has never been ‘a less-deserved retention of the Ashes’ in ‘irrational rant’ following draw at Old Trafford

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/crick ... fford.html

Popeye Magoo
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Popeye Magoo »

I assume England have by and large written the laws of cricket, yet oddly enough seem to be very critical of them in this series including legitimate stumpings, drawn test due to weather limiting game time.
2-1 down yet so many saying they are unlucky?
For me they can be thankful for being competitive against the world's number one ranked test team (who have been without their top line spinner in last couple). England have won the toss on each occasion, ordered certain pitches to their liking, crowd getting stuck in at any opportunity, but still couldn't break down the opposition.
I say well done Australia who yet could still take this out 3-1.
I might be old, senile, short sighted and a poor driver but give me some spinach and I'll have you for breakfast!

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Popeye Magoo wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:29 pm I assume England have by and large written the laws of cricket, yet oddly enough seem to be very critical of them in this series including legitimate stumpings, drawn test due to weather limiting game time.
2-1 down yet so many saying they are unlucky?
For me they can be thankful for being competitive against the world's number one ranked test team (who have been without their top line spinner in last couple). England have won the toss on each occasion, ordered certain pitches to their liking, crowd getting stuck in at any opportunity, but still couldn't break down the opposition.
I say well done Australia who yet could still take this out 3-1.

Both teams have had injury issues. We are without our top line spinner. As well as Robinson, Wood and Archer for all/a lot of the series.

Certain pitches orderered. Hahaha. Groundsman have said this didn't happen.

The MCC write the laws, not England. All sports have people making suggestions about changes. The playing until later or a spare day both seem sensible enough for discussion.

Crowd getting stuck in, so exactly what happens in australia then?

I'd say we've been more than competetive. 3 of the games could have been won by either team. Going into the 4th test, either team could have been 3-0 up.

Mad As Hell
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Mad As Hell »

:lol:

zzz
Star Player
Star Player

Post by zzz »

Of course he is.
sadly for you evidence would suggest otherwise

time to change your handle

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

zzz wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:32 pm

Of course he is.
sadly for you evidence would suggest otherwise

time to change your handle

What evidence do you have that he isn't?

For him being English - the greatest Empire ever known.