23 players for Matildas World Cup

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: 23 players for Matildas World Cup

Post by thebeautifulgame »

Con M wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:59 pm What a huge pity.

After Samantha’s great equaliser, Carpenter’s mistake led to 1-2 and curtains. Was Kerr’s missed volley when it was still 1-1?

Congratulations to England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 though - great possession game, especially in the first half.
Fair assessment of game- Kerr's miss was at 1-2 down and was certainly the catalyst to losing the game as England scored their third shortly after.

First two goals of the game were classic strikes, the second England goal was a horror mistake and their third was a composed finish after a lovely disguised pass by Lauren Hemp, who in my opinion was the best player on the park.

Agree that England were in total control for the entire first half though Australia improved and had them under pressure until the blunder by Carpenter. Strongly fancy England to win the Final on Sunday though the Spanish girls will do their utmost to cause a major upset.

Hopefully the Matildas can overcome Sweden and finish on a high, though in truth it doesn't mean a hell of a lot. That said they can be proud of their efforts- they were outplayed by England but not outclassed. :clap:

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

After Samantha’s great equaliser, Carpenter’s mistake led to 1-2 and curtains. Was Kerr’s missed volley when it was still 1-1?

Congratulations to England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 though - great possession game, especially in the first half.
I thought the miss was when already 2-1 down, but agree england were the better side overall and our central defending was poor.

Were you happy with the Murdoch-tiser coverage the Matildas received in the past couple weeks?
Ignore this signature

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Bomber wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:49 am

I thought the miss was when already 2-1 down, but agree england were the better side overall and our central defending was poor.

Were you happy with the Murdoch-tiser coverage the Matildas received in the past couple weeks?
what's your point Bomber or sarcasm. I thought it was very extremely good and $millions in free publicity.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

eagleboy wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:45 am
Bomber wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:49 am

what's your point Bomber or sarcasm. I thought it was very extremely good and $millions in free publicity.
Thought the point was quite clear. Con has a history of anti-Murdoch attitude, especially when it comes to lack of coverage of world football. Just checking to see if they did enough (for him) these past couple weeks. :thumbup:
Ignore this signature

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Television viewing figures exploded as about a quarter of the state’s population tuned into the game – more than double the numbers that watched the AFL grand final last year – with big numbers again expected on the weekend as the national team plays for bronze.

Channel Seven announced the game reached an extraordinary 7.13 million Australians nationally, making it the most-watched television program since OzTAM measurement system started in 2001.

The numbers of supporters are way higher as OzTAM does not capture out-of-home viewing at pubs, clubs, the more than 75,000 fans that packed the Sydney stadium or viewers on Optus Plus.

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

bets team on the night, the possession the pomettes held and they way they attacked was on point.

Carpenter has played last 2 games were shockers, that goal that led to the pomettes scoring their second....
:crazy:

only gripe with Gustavson, not enough subs were used in the tournament.

the semi, why didnt he introduce more attackers and give them more time?
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Always a good comment from Titus.
Screenshot 2023-08-17 181549.jpg
Screenshot 2023-08-17 181549.jpg (85.22 KiB) Viewed 46255 times

Pity some people at matches can't control themselves

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/more-sp ... r-AA1fnKjp

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victo ... rallPos=13

Some Cretin
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Some Cretin »

Generally Titus is quite good, but if he's disappointed he has to realize not everyone works nine to five.
I probably spend more time lurking than posting.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

The front bar had a funny call on the goal tonight.

Mick Malloy said he was surprised the English side didn't ask to change the ball after Sam Kerrs goal. :lol: :lol:

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

eagleboy wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:26 pm Pity not too many posts on this Soccer forum in probably Australia's most important match (arguably ) ever.

I see more responses on Aussie rules boards. Poor form to a lot of FN posters. :thumbdown:
Fair point, it would be remiss of me to not post a congratulations to the Australian team for reaching the third place play off. Well done girls.

predrag
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by predrag »

I just came back from Sydney, Parramatta went wild after Sam's goal, good luck girls in the third place game,& congratulations to England.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

Happy to continue with the 'love in'....the last month has been great for the game in general and the Tillies should be congratulated for taking us on the journey. Their achievements have caused a seismic shift in sentiment for the game from those who don't sit in the 'only AFL/NRL camps'.

but

if the Woman's game wants equal pay, recognition, funding etc etc should it also get equal scrutiny????

has Carpenter gotten off lightly for her defending?
has Kerr gotten off lightly for missing 2 sitters?
has Arnold gotten off lightly for her positioning for the 2nd and 3rd goals?
how culpable was Hunt for the 3rd goal?
has the coach gotten off lightly for our passive 1st half-performance? Why allow England to play their passing game?
have the team leaders gotten off lightly for not protecting Kerr against the obvious physical tactics?

if this was the men's team, they would have copped it from all quarters....
Last edited by MegaBonus on Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

thebeautifulgame
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by thebeautifulgame »

MegaBonus wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:41 pm Happy to continue with the 'love in'....the last month has been great for the game in general and the Tillies should be congratulated for taking us on the journey. Their achievements have caused a seismic shift in sentiment for the game from those who don't sit in the 'only AFL/NRL camps'.

but

if the Woman's game wants equal pay, recognition, funding etc etc should it also get equal scrutiny????

has the coach gotten off lightly for our passive 1st half-performance? Why allow England to play their passing game?
have the team leaders gotten off lightly for not protecting Kerr against the obvious physical tactics?

I like this post as MB has a few good points and they will no doubt get a varied response.

IMO if you were to answer the questions above in an honest and transparent manner, most (if not all) would be met with a resounding YES.

My take on it is the Matildas and the Socceroos in recent times are punching above their weight in world football and appear to be making steady progress. We should all be thankful for that but with progress comes expectations and the pressure that it brings- just ask England about that!

Rash Dipstick
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Rash Dipstick »

You'd think there was only one player in the team.

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

MegaBonus wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:41 pm Happy to continue with the 'love in'....the last month has been great for the game in general and the Tillies should be congratulated for taking us on the journey. Their achievements have caused a seismic shift in sentiment for the game from those who don't sit in the 'only AFL/NRL camps'.

but

cmoan mate, dont be sooo hard on the womens....

But your correct on teh Carpenter defending, that cost teh 2nd and 3rd goal.
she should of been dropped!
the coach, is another whom should take the full blame.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

what is it with the POMS lately????

First claiming a moral Ashes victory, and now
Their PM is suggesting that Football is coming home even though they lost
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

thebeautifulgame wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:38 pm

but

I like this post as MB has a few good points and they will no doubt get a varied response.

IMO if you were to answer the questions above in an honest and transparent manner, most (if not all) would be met with a resounding YES.

My take on it is the Matildas and the Socceroos in recent times are punching above their weight in world football and appear to be making steady progress. We should all be thankful for that but with progress comes expectations and the pressure that it brings- just ask England about that!
I thought the coaching was questionable many times, and although fourth wasn't bad in the end for a nation where football isn't it's number 1 sport, end of the day they won 3 games, drew one and lost 3.
Ignore this signature

predrag
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by predrag »

How about the Spanish ladies ,the entire team hates & has no respect for the coaching staff, yet they still won-vamos!

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Sad news from the WWC final. The Spanish girl that scored the winning goal found out after receiving her winners medal found out that her father has just passed :sad:

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

FIFA president Gianni Infantino has revealed the “best and greatest and biggest Women‘s World Cup ever” has generated close to $900 million in revenue.

But it was only enough for the tournament to “break even” and didn’t paint a picture of being able to increase prize money for future tournaments towards levels enjoyed by the men’s game.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/f ... 8df91f62c6

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

now that the dust has settled, did the Matildas actually do that well?
Considering a home world cup and equal 2nd favourites to win... I personally think they underperformed.

Surely the QLD govt should rethink mounting a statue for them?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... tue-fourth

I guess in this current woke environment, as long as you participate, you get an award...

Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Rookie »

considering all the heavy weights got knocked out before the quarters i think the aussies did OK but i also think this was a massive opportunity missed to win some silverwhere

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

Rookie wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:08 pm considering all the heavy weights got knocked out before the quarters i think the aussies did OK but i also think this was a massive opportunity missed to win some silverware''
I will never be convinced Gustavsson is a great coach or master tactician bec simply put he still remains just average.

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

scar wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:15 pm
Rookie wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:08 pm considering all the heavy weights got knocked out before the quarters i think the aussies did OK but i also think this was a massive opportunity missed to win some silverware'cheap and nasty
I will never be convinced Gustavsson is a great coach or master tactician bec simply put he still remains just average.

:clap: