CA gone to Woke!!

This forum is for discussion of other sports.

Moderators: Randoman, Ernie Cooksey, Forum Admins

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

CA gone to Woke!!

Post by Michael »

NSW Premier Chris Minns has urged Cricket Australia to "revisit" its decision not to commemorate Australia Day during the Gabba Test in Brisbane on January 26.
The sporting body said there would be no reference to the national day at this Friday's test match between Australia and the West Indies, but instead an "acknowledgement" by the ground announcer that the day holds different meaning to different Australians.
The decision was made after consultation with Cricket Australia's Indigenous advisory board (NATSICAC) and follows the lead of the Australian Open which signalled it would not hold Australia Day celebrations for the second year in a row.Speaking to 2GB's Ben Fordham today, Minns said the decision was "extremely strange".
"They should mention it," Minns said.
"This is a day for us all to celebrate with family and friends and recognise that we live in the greatest country on earth - I'll definitely be doing that.
"This is a day that we need to come together as a nation so I think they should reconsider their decision."
The decision joins the ranks of corporate Australia, as companies move to provide flexibility around how different people mark the January 26 public holiday.
Most recently, big four bank ANZ joined Westpac, Commbank and NAB, in allowing employees to choose whether to swap the public holiday for another day off in its latest bargaining agreement.
Woolworths and Coles have also offered staff the option to choose whether they want to work on that day.
Telstra, Deloitte and finance firm KPMG are among other companies to have initiated similar schemes.
January 26 was made a public holiday in 1994.
Though for many Australia Day means a welcomed day off from work and a chance to celebrate with family and friends, the date is observed as a day of mourning for many First Nations people.
Invasion Day rallies have significantly gathered steam in recent years, with protests around the country attended by tens of thousands of Aussies.
Pat Cummins has called for a change to the date of Australia Day, backing the decision not to use the term in marketing for the Brisbane Test.

Key points:
Australian Test skipper Pat Cummins has called for a change to the date of Australia Day
Cummins has also backed Cricket Australia's decision not to use the term "Australia Day" in marketing for the Brisbane Test
CA CEO Nick Hockley was grilled about the issue on Sydney radio on Tuesday morning
Cricket Australia (CA) has chosen not to brand this week's second Test against West Indies "the Australia Day match" or use the term at the Gabba on day two on January 26.

The organisation's long-held position came under fire this week, with CEO Nick Hockley enduring a grilling on Sydney radio on Tuesday morning.

Test captain Cummins has backed the decision, and in turn become the highest-profile sporting star in the nation to push for a different date to mark Australia's national day.

"I absolutely love Australia. It is the best country in the world by a mile," Cummins said.

"We should have an Australia Day, but we can probably find a more appropriate day to celebrate it.

"Once you start realising January 26 and why it is chosen, Australia Day is meant to be a celebration of everything Australia and our history.

"[So] we could choose a better date."

CA dropped the term Australia Day from its marketing in 2021, when some Big Bash League teams wore Indigenous strips for games played on January 26.

A women's international was shifted to the date last year, prompting Indigenous woman and Australia all-rounder Ashleigh Gardner to speak out on the matter.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

Popeye Magoo
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: CA gone to Woke!!

Post by Popeye Magoo »

Very courageous for a Labor leader (Minns) to advocate for Australia Day. Kudos to him
I might be old, senile, short sighted and a poor driver but give me some spinach and I'll have you for breakfast!

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Popeye Magoo wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:40 am Very courageous for a Labor leader (Minns) to advocate for Australia Day. Kudos to him
Very true the rest just follow the woke agenda.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

ozzie owl wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:14 pm
Popeye Magoo wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:40 am Very courageous for a Labor leader (Minns) to advocate for Australia Day. Kudos to him
He'll probably be dragged into the office............slap, slap........... ;-)
Ignore this signature

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Bomber wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:17 pm
ozzie owl wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:14 pm
He'll probably be dragged into the office............slap, slap........... ;-)
Off to the re-education camp

Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Rookie »

worry about captaining your side Pat is what I say :crazy:

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

Rookie wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:50 pm worry about captaining your side Pat is what I say :crazy:
Yeah and losing to the current windies side.....
Pat is a joke!
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by bloodypassit »

Michael wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:58 pm
Rookie wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:50 pm worry about captaining your side Pat is what I say :crazy:
Pat is a joke!
Current World Test Champions, World One Day ( 50 over ) Champions, Retained Ashes.
Ranked #2 bowler in the World
Named ICC Cricketer of the Year

and you say Pat is a joke....

Hope you never say Sportspeople should be role models

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

bloodypassit wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:52 pm
Pat is a joke!
Current World Test Champions, World One Day ( 50 over ) Champions, Retained Ashes.

Sportspeople should stick to doing what they are actually paid to do - play sport

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Michael wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:06 pm
bloodypassit wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:52 pm
Pat is a joke!

Sportspeople should stick to doing what they are actually paid to do - play sport
This includes sporting associations and their governing bodies. Run and administer, not preach.
Ignore this signature

zzz
Star Player
Star Player

Post by zzz »

Pat Cummins will be the next Zali Steggall

Popeye Magoo
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Popeye Magoo »

zzz wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:29 pm Pat Cummins will be the next Zali Steggall
No prizes for guessing which party he will nominate for.
I might be old, senile, short sighted and a poor driver but give me some spinach and I'll have you for breakfast!

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Popeye Magoo wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:48 pm
The Claytons Independents ( Teals ) or Greens would my tip.

zzz
Star Player
Star Player

Post by zzz »

ozzie owl wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:27 pm
Popeye Magoo wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:48 pm
The Claytons Independents ( Teals ) or Greens would my tip.
Teals is his style.

No way he'll go to the Greens.