Kewell tells Socceroos to pull their finger out

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kewell tells Socceroos to pull their finger out

Post by admin »

AUSTRALIA star Harry Kewell has called for the team to "pull their finger out" after another shambolic night at the Asian Cup.

The pre-tournament favourite is now poised at the exit door after just two of the three group matches following an insipid 3-1 loss to Iraq at the Rajamangala Stadium in Bangkok.

Co-host Thailand can finish off the star-studded Socceroos with just a draw in their final Group A match on Monday.

Kewell was as mystified as the small, mainly Australian crowd byh the depths plumbed by Australia.

"I can't even put that (how bad the performance was) into words really," Kewell said.

"The players need to pull their finger out - and I'm no exception. If you look at my own performance, it was poor.

"We've only got a few days to turn this around - and we have to."

The Australia side contains many of the players who were heroes at the World Cup last year, but the Socceroos have shown none of the vigour, discipline or quality displayed in Germany.

This time, the conditions could not be blamed. While the evening was warm, the heat and humidity were nowhere near as intense as the players blamed in large part for the problems in their opening match 1-1 draw with Oman.

Kewell admitted that player-driven revolution was the only answer as they chased victory on Monday to keep their tournament alive.

"When he asked the players to be here, everyone gave him their 100 per cent commitment,'' Kewell said of coach Graham Arnold.

"We're all behind him.

"We know we've let him down - twice now - and if by some chance of a miracle we can pull through against Thailand, all credit to him.

"It's a disappointing night, and I think everyone feels sorry not only for the manager but for the team and supporters."