Arnold backtracks on player criticism

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Arnold backtracks on player criticism

Post by admin »

Under-siege Socceroos coach Graham Arnold back-tracked on his attack on the attitude of his misfiring Australian team, saying he made the comments to spark them for their crucial Asian Cup clash with Thailand.

Arnold startled the players when he claimed that some of his European stars found it too hard and their attitude was poor after they crashed to a self-inflicted 3-1 defeat to Iraq in Bangkok on Friday night.

But now claims he was only trying to set his under-performing stars a challenge as they chase victory Monday over the co-hosts which could squeeze them into the quarter-finals.

Arnold also went back on his post-match declarations that he planned to make wholesale team changes for the Thailand crunch game.

"If there are going to be changes it won't be down to that, it will be down to fatigue and injuries and maybe get some fresh legs on the field because it's only a short turnaround in their recovery," Arnold said at the team hotel.

Leading stars Mark Viduka, Mark Schwarzer and Harry Kewell were at odds with Arnold's criticisms after Friday's match, but Arnold weakened his hardline stance Saturday.

"They have to step up, I've given them the challenge and the challenge is we have to throw everything at Thailand and we have a great chance because we are mentally stronger than Thailand," Arnold said.

"We're back in the position where Australians love to be and that's underdogs, with our backs to the wall, all Australian sportsmen love a dog-fight.

"This time there might be a full stadium and the pressure will be on Thailand.

"I said that out of honesty but also I'm trying to get an extra spark out of them and trying to give them the challenge.

"You can continually say things behind closed doors but sometimes they read it and it might have a shock effect."

Defensive shuffle

One position Arnold will have to replace is West Ham central defender Lucas Neill, who was needlessly sent off in stoppage time against Iraq.

"The loss of Lucas has left a hole and we might have to tinker with the system," Arnold said.

"Lucas has apologised to the whole group for getting sent off."

Arnold's position as coach is under massive pressure after a disastrous Asian campaign amid criticism of him back home in the press and from fans.

"It's the final opportunity in a tournament of three games at the moment and that we've still got that opportunity," he said.

"We only have to beat Thailand, whether it's 1-0, 2-0 as long as Iraq get the right result and we may have to get 2 or 3-0 to make sure our goal difference is better than Oman if they win (beat Iraq).

"These guys have come in and have played two games in the last week and there's only 48 hours to recover so when I say wholesale changes it will be down to how they come up recovery-wise after playing in these difficult conditions."

Everton's Tim Cahill, still recovering from injury, wants to start against Thailand after coming on as a substitute against Oman and Iraq.

"Timmy is getting closer. He played 25 minutes against Oman, he played half a game last game, he's training hard," Arnold said.

"Whether he starts or comes off the bench we'll have to decide."

Hawkesy
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Hawkesy »

What a load of rubbish, if he was trying to set them a challenge why turn round under 24 hours later and say it was mind games. Doesn't that mean the mind game can no longer ossibly work.

You don't hear Mourinho saying something and then 24 hours later saying, actually I was only trying to spur my players on.

manU4life
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by manU4life »

arnold is cooked....stick a fork in him