What is wrong with the socceroos?

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

HoffTheMan
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

What is wrong with the socceroos?

Post by HoffTheMan »

Ok, so the Asian Cup started and we were the favourites. Sure, humidty and heat are a factor but Arnold is happy with our preparation. Also, it is not too bad that we will start our first match against Oman, a side unknown to us, but also not one of the traditional powerhouses in Asian football. Neill is confident, Viduka is happy talking up Kewell combination and Arnold is telling the squad to attack from the onset. All looks good.

Arnold rocks the boat a little when he says that he will not be retained as the head coach only to claim that he was misquoted. Realistically though, Arnold was never going to be retained as our head coach, even if we win the Asian Cup. The FAA want a BIG NAME coach. If we are kicked out Arnold is out. If we had won it convincingly Arnold would also be out as we were expected to win it anyway.

Back to my main point. On the eve of the Oman match I feel extremely confident. Are we gonna win 5-0? Nah, probably just 3-0 and will blame it on the heat. Never saw Oman play and I reckon they will suck.

Looking at the starting line-up I wonder whether it will work. But then again, we are playing Oman so it doesn't matter.

First five minutes of the match and I laugh at Oman's players and their lack of ball control. Hahahahaha, we have this one in the bag I reckon. Then though Oman settle in. Our players are everywhere unable to intercept the ball. Oman have some really good chances. That ought to wake us up.

Then Oman score. Nooooooooooo. And the rest is history.

I won't go any further. So what is really wrong?

Let's blame the coach
- Arnold is way to close to the players and I cant help but feel that he doesnt steer the ship
- Big name players control the squad and are guaranteed a start under Arnold. No player should ever be guaranteed a start.
- Arnold has that "we did our best" and "Im happy with the performance" attitude
- Arnold disregards Hidding's methods
- 4 strikers against Iraq????? Pandemonium. That was an act of desperation. (Yes, I count Kewell as a striker in this instance)
- Poor player selection (Kisnorbo anyone???)
- Wrong mentality "get the ball and pass it quickly hoping somebody will get to it." And also too many high balls. Very uncoordinated. The team doesnt gel.
- Ignoring the importance of defending as a unit
Etc...

Let's blame the players

- Over confident
- Thinking that Asian Cup is a "minor" cup. Nothing has been said in the open but remarks such as "we all go here from Europe so he should be grateful" are pathetic. Tell me of a player who said something like that when called on the represent their country at the World Cup? Or EURO Cup for that matter. They should be proud and honoured to be part of it.
- Technically lacking the depth to work as a unit. Preparation for that has been poor. At least under Hidding a training camp prodced solid results.

For anybody who is out there thinking that Hidding is gone and so we should not live in the past is making a big mistake. Hidding is gone but his attitude and technical mentality should remain instilled in our coach's mind. No point for Arnold to re-invent the wheel. Why fix something that works?

It could be that a) Arnold never quite understoood Hidding's mentality b) has not changed since the Farina days (in fact they are still buddies) c) has poor skills and is not at the level of coaching the national team or d) all of the above.

I think I would pick d). Don't get me wrong, I feel sorry for Arnold as his heart is really in it. As a referee I know how hard it is when you do something you like and when you stuff up and the fans criticise you for that. It wasnt easy for Arnold to hear from the stands "Arnold Out". It was gut wrenching and I am willing to bet that in private he cried. We, fans, were pretty brutal towardsa him. That is part of the game however. Either you are fit for it or not. Survival of the fittest.

Missing Post Count
Coach
Coach

Re: What is wrong with the socceroos?

Post by Missing Post Count »

HoffTheMan wrote:What is wrong with the socceroos?
The term socceroos is feeble at best. Why can't we call the national side Australia like normal countires?

Redders
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Redders »

HoffTheMan wrote:Ok, so the Asian Cup started and we were the favourites. Sure, humidty and heat are a factor but Arnold is happy with our preparation. Also, it is not too bad that we will start our first match against Oman, a side unknown to us, but also not one of the traditional powerhouses in Asian football. Neill is confident, Viduka is happy talking up Kewell combination and Arnold is telling the squad to attack from the onset. All looks good.

Arnold rocks the boat a little when he says that he will not be retained as the head coach only to claim that he was misquoted. Realistically though, Arnold was never going to be retained as our head coach, even if we win the Asian Cup. The FAA want a BIG NAME coach. If we are kicked out Arnold is out. If we had won it convincingly Arnold would also be out as we were expected to win it anyway.

Back to my main point. On the eve of the Oman match I feel extremely confident. Are we gonna win 5-0? Nah, probably just 3-0 and will blame it on the heat. Never saw Oman play and I reckon they will suck.

Looking at the starting line-up I wonder whether it will work. But then again, we are playing Oman so it doesn't matter.

First five minutes of the match and I laugh at Oman's players and their lack of ball control. Hahahahaha, we have this one in the bag I reckon. Then though Oman settle in. Our players are everywhere unable to intercept the ball. Oman have some really good chances. That ought to wake us up.

Then Oman score. Nooooooooooo. And the rest is history.

I won't go any further. So what is really wrong?

Let's blame the coach
- Arnold is way to close to the players and I cant help but feel that he doesnt steer the ship
- Big name players control the squad and are guaranteed a start under Arnold. No player should ever be guaranteed a start.
- Arnold has that "we did our best" and "Im happy with the performance" attitude
- Arnold disregards Hidding's methods
- 4 strikers against Iraq????? Pandemonium. That was an act of desperation. (Yes, I count Kewell as a striker in this instance)
- Poor player selection (Kisnorbo anyone???)
- Wrong mentality "get the ball and pass it quickly hoping somebody will get to it." And also too many high balls. Very uncoordinated. The team doesnt gel.
- Ignoring the importance of defending as a unit
Etc...

Let's blame the players

- Over confident
- Thinking that Asian Cup is a "minor" cup. Nothing has been said in the open but remarks such as "we all go here from Europe so he should be grateful" are pathetic. Tell me of a player who said something like that when called on the represent their country at the World Cup? Or EURO Cup for that matter. They should be proud and honoured to be part of it.
- Technically lacking the depth to work as a unit. Preparation for that has been poor. At least under Hidding a training camp prodced solid results.

For anybody who is out there thinking that Hidding is gone and so we should not live in the past is making a big mistake. Hidding is gone but his attitude and technical mentality should remain instilled in our coach's mind. No point for Arnold to re-invent the wheel. Why fix something that works?

It could be that a) Arnold never quite understoood Hidding's mentality b) has not changed since the Farina days (in fact they are still buddies) c) has poor skills and is not at the level of coaching the national team or d) all of the above.

I think I would pick d). Don't get me wrong, I feel sorry for Arnold as his heart is really in it. As a referee I know how hard it is when you do something you like and when you stuff up and the fans criticise you for that. It wasnt easy for Arnold to hear from the stands "Arnold Out". It was gut wrenching and I am willing to bet that in private he cried. We, fans, were pretty brutal towardsa him. That is part of the game however. Either you are fit for it or not. Survival of the fittest.
:?:

limozeen
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by limozeen »

Bodø Glimt wrote:
HoffTheMan wrote:What is wrong with the socceroos?
The term socceroos is feeble at best. Why can't we call the national side Australia like normal countires?
And now that it is called "football" the name socceroos is outdated
Go Reds

Check out Ground Phase at...
http://www.reverbnation.com/groundphase
http://youtu.be/TkdT5gPXQkM

'66 '68 '69 '71 '73 '76 '78 '13 '15

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Whats wrong

Post by ozzie owl »

The players believed the publicity and got sucked in!!!

Maybe we not as good as we think we are.