Grant sacked as Chelsea manager

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

E. Grant & Co
Star Player
Star Player

Grant sacked as Chelsea manager

Post by E. Grant & Co »

Chelsea have sacked manager Avram Grant after just eight months in charge.

The decision followed two days of talks between Grant, 53, and the club's chief executive Peter Kenyon.

The Israeli coach's position had been subject to intense speculation after Chelsea finished runners-up in the Premier League and Champions League.

Russia coach Guus Hiddink, fellow Dutchman Frank Rijkaard and Manchester City boss Sven-Goran Eriksson are among the early favourites to replace Grant.

Chelsea said in a statement on their website that the search for a new coach would now begin and that the club will make no further comment.

The statement said: "Chelsea Football Club can confirm that Avram Grant has had his contract as manager terminated today. This follows meetings over the last two days.

"Everybody at Chelsea FC would like to thank Avram for his contribution since taking over as manager last September.

"We will now be concentrating all our efforts on identifying a new manager for Chelsea and there will be no further comment until that appointment is made."

BBC Radio 5 Live football correspondent Jonathan Legard said Grant had faced a nigh impossible task in taking over from Jose Mourinho.

"He was little more than a stop gap," Legard told BBC Radio 5 Live. "He never really had the CV, never really had the experience, never really had the clout to fill the boots of Jose Mourinho.

"Have Chelsea got someone lined up? I don't think they have. They may have a few ideas but whether they will be able to pursue them is another matter.

The futures of Chelsea assistants Steve Clarke and Henk Ten Cate are unclear and no official word has yet been given on their positions.

Grant, a close friend of Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich, took over on 20 September 2007 after Mourinho was sacked.

Rijkaard, Eriksson and, most recently, Brian Laudrup and Roberto Mancini have all been linked with a possible move to Chelsea with the likes of Luiz Felipe Scolari and Mark Hughes in the running.

Despite losing just two Premier League games while in charge, Grant attracted criticism from fans who claimed his team lacked style.

He was also criticised for losing February's League Cup final against Tottenham.

Grant joined Chelsea last summer from Portsmouth as director of football, a decision which apparently did not please Mourinho.

Mourinho was later dismissed after their 1-1 draw with Rosenborg at Stamford Bridge in their opening Champions League game.

Grant and Mourinho did not always see eye-to-eye

Grant, who had never managed a club in England, was asked to take over and on 13 December 2007 signed a four-year contract.

Both Kenyon and chairman Bruce Buck paved the way for change by insisting that Chelsea's performance this season was simply "not good enough".

Buck said: "We have very high expectations at Chelsea and a couple of second place finishes is just not good enough for us.

"So although we never would have thought in September when Jose Mourinho left that we would be able to make it into a Champions League final as we did - and that is fantastic - Chelsea are here to win trophies.

"So although it was an excellent season, we are still disappointed."

A series of discussions finally resolved Grant's future and it is understood the Israeli said his farewells to the players on Friday - telling them it had been a 'privilege' to manage the team.

Ironically, Mourinho has yet to take up a new job since his dismissal by Chelsea but he said only this week that he expects to be back in football in June.

His odds for a dramatic and unexpected return to Chelsea were cut from 20/1 down to 8/1 by English bookmakers late on Saturday.

nachoman
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Grant sacked as Chelsea manager

Post by nachoman »

feck me we keep shooting ourselves in the foot
2 managers in 1 season
whilst I didnt like Grant's appointment , i think he performed well considering he inherited a squad and took them very close to some silverware -

typical chelsea :( - who wants to manage us now ?

E. Grant & Co
Star Player
Star Player

Post by E. Grant & Co »

I wouldn't get too upset by this decision, it's been on the cards for ages, was always a stop gap measure.

Glad he's gone to be truthful.

Lets see who we can get with a bit of style and class, wouldn't mind seeing Brian L take the reins, good credentials, been there done that, young bloke too.

Complete Name: Brian Laudrup
Nationality: Danish
Place of Birth: Copenhagen (Denmark)
Date of Birth: February 22, 1969
Height: 185 cn
Weight: 82 kg
National Team: Denmark
Current Club: Retired [I think he had a job in either Spain or Portual last season?]

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Victoria's Secret »

Jose to come back.....

E. Grant & Co
Star Player
Star Player

Post by E. Grant & Co »

We will know next week if Roman and Jose have 'made up' IF he does it will be under his [Jose] terms and there will be no more 'surprise' signings by the owner.

Which means I doubt it will happen.

E. Grant & Co
Star Player
Star Player

Post by E. Grant & Co »

Things are looking good right about now.

Chelsea are considering revisiting their pursuit of Micah Richards. Jose Mourinho came close to signing Manchester City’s England defender 16 months ago for £18 million before the deal was vetoed by owner Roman Abramovich. Richards has been unsettled by the likely departure of manager Sven-Goran Eriksson but would cost at least £20 million.

In a summer spending spree that would eclipse all before it, Chelsea are also willing to part with £79 million on just three players: Sergio Ramos from Real Madrid for £25 million, £27 million on bringing Frank Ribery from Bayern Munich and £27 million on VFB Stuttgart's Mario Gomez.

Didier Drogba says that he has still not decided on his future, and that he could still remain at Stamford Bridge.

If we get these players and keep both Lampard and Drogba - we may end up 1 better than we did this year.

Missing Post Count
Coach
Coach

Post by Missing Post Count »

Bring in Mario Rosenstock!

CFC10
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by CFC10 »

Not sure I agree with this. I said before I think we rallied and had a great first season under him. It took him quite a while to settle but in the end I think the results speak for themselves. We came within inches of both the Premiership and Champion's League, and I don't think it was his fault we lost either. There were a lot of times I doubted him this season (ie carling cup final / FA cup exit) but he came up with the goods. I think he deserved at least another season. Talk has always been he does not have the respect of the locker room though, and I suppose it's no coincidence that Drogba is talking of staying now that the season is over and the rumour was always that Avram was going to get the chop at the end of the season. Although in truth I'd rather keep Avram than Didier after his lazy performances this season. I wish Mr. Grant all the best for the future, in press conferences and public appearances he always seemed like a stand up gentleman and I applaud him for that and his accomplishments this season.

King Ledley
Star Player
Star Player

Post by King Ledley »

Michael Laudrup is a very good manager........played at the highest level and was manager of Getafe last season and did very well with them in the Uefa Cup
Tromsø wrote:they've just put the 5th one in and the crowd is now giving it the 'are you arsenal in disguise?'

adriano10
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by adriano10 »

bit harsh on big Avram.... yes he may look like a pedo with his cold stare and dark trench coat on the sidelines, and yes he's nowhere near as colourful and loud (and arrogant) as the great Mourinho....

but give the poor prick some credit, he did his job, took over a falling team...stopped any possible downard spiral and couldve quite easily had the 2 biggest trophies possible in the last two weeks.... and the whole time he's been bagged...

all we need now is Mancini and the empire may very well begin to crumble...especially if the big names suggested do leave... then there's a tattered squad with a man who's been known to have lost confidence with most of his big players in everyway possible
"Inzaghi is simply a grenache with ears," - Reggina

Le King
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Le King »

shocked at this
thought he didnt do too much wrong, came in and took ova from ose while chelsea were strugglin in the league and in europe.... got em 2 the final of the cl and also pushed united within 2 points of the title
disgraceful by chelsea i mst say, shoulda been given a chance nxt season

Jimbob
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Jimbob »

Not suprised in the slightest by Chelsea's behaviour in all this. When you've got a treacherous little turd like Peter 'United through and through' Kenyon in charge of hiring and firing this is what you're gonna get.

Glad he left us when he did

Le King
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Le King »

Jimbob wrote:Not suprised in the slightest by Chelsea's behaviour in all this. When you've got a treacherous little turd like Peter 'United through and through' Kenyon in charge of hiring and firing this is what you're gonna get.

Glad he left us when he did
kenyon hates united!!
i still blame him for the ronaldihnio deal

waawaa
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by waawaa »

i hope who ever takes over doesn't finish second next year. could be the next newcastle with the revolving coaches door.

chelsea91
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by chelsea91 »

Not surprised but i would have given him another year..

FerrariTifosi27
Star Player
Star Player

Post by FerrariTifosi27 »

Marcello Lippi could be coaching Chelsea according to tuttomercatoweb.com

Unknown
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Unknown »

8) Glad to hear 8) C'MON CHELSEA.....!
"Fucken Whip It!"

ronaldo07
Coach
Coach

Post by ronaldo07 »

i dont really give a rat ass :lol:

CFC10
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by CFC10 »

ronaldo07 wrote:i dont really give a rat ass :lol:
Sunhat finally writes a sentence that makes perfect sense!

Le King
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Le King »

the downfall.....

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

The revolving door maybe the proce to pay for the owner you have.

ramosrules
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by ramosrules »

Chelsea managers position must be the best job in football. You get paidfor 3 years and you only do 1 years work :lol:
and thats coming from a Spurs supporter.
"IT LOOKS LIKE HODDLE HAS FOUND GOD, THAT MUST HAVE BEEN ONE HELL OF A PASS"

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Vinnie Jones would shake 'em up! :wink:
Ignore this signature

nachoman
Star Player
Star Player