Refs

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

mozza#14
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Refs

Post by mozza#14 »

ok what ive noticed, is that in our recent matches the refereeing had been quite poor and has been contempt to not take the games seriously, give free kicks that arent there & and also interact with the crowd. why cant we get proper refs.

totsreds08
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Refs

Post by totsreds08 »

i agree, was at a match watching my sister play, and the ref told a spectator to shutup :lol:

skins
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by skins »

i have to agree with you mozza 14

PENALTY 5
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by PENALTY 5 »

The refereeing has been poor this season. some good patches, but at times, some very biased, one sided obvious cheating.
Do or Die..........No Pressure

pc9999
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by pc9999 »

As a parent, Asst Coach and couch expert. I too have seen a mixed bag, we had a really good one the other week all the parents commented on his approach. Yet we had suffered some inexperienced ones too that were barely older than the players.

I havent seen cheating so far in either my sons or daughters games and I find it abhorrent that it is even a possibility.

teddles
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by teddles »

mozza#14 wrote: why cant we get proper refs.
Because idiots keep bagging them and so people choose not to do the job.

Another observation is that the refs quite often aren't doing such a bad job, but spectators and players who don't understand the rules (though they think they do) let their own natural bias for their own team rule their thoughts. Refs do make mistakes, sometimes really bad ones, but the the quality of the referreeing is no worse than the standard of play and a damn sight better than the standard of spectating.

mattieg1200
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by mattieg1200 »

PENALTY 5 wrote:The refereeing has been poor this season. some good patches, but at times, some very biased, one sided obvious cheating.
thats ridiculous, no ref purposely cheats :clown:
R.I.P Robbo 8th June 2006
R.I.P Konny 1st July 2007

Liverpool-Champions of Europe 2005

Missing Post Count
Coach
Coach

Post by Missing Post Count »

mattieg1200 wrote:thats ridiculous, no ref purposely cheats :clown:
I'd have to back that statement. I've seen the odd decision that's baffled me none of us are standing in the same position as the referee and consequently don't see what he/she sees.

teddles
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by teddles »

It's remarkable how often spectators get upset about a decision, only to have someone explain to them why the decision was right.

The reffing standard isn't that good in places, but the ref bashing that has gone on here recently is ridiculous. It's easy to sling abuse from the sidelines and even easier when you hide behind your keyboard with generalisations.

If you don't like the standard of referreeing, do the training - if you've any honesty, you'll find your opinions change. Then try to do the job and you'll find a massive change in your thinking, NOT because you suddenly identify with them, but because you suddenly realise how hard the job is and how often they get it RIGHT.

Quite frankly, the ref bashing on FootballNews in general has degenerated to poor sportsmanship and sour grapes. How about we move on so that when some plonker does commit a howler, it can be discussed rationally. This sort of nonsense thread prevents any discussion.
Last edited by teddles on Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

povman_2009
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by povman_2009 »

Amen , Teddles.

TrentFromPunchy
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by TrentFromPunchy »

The refs I've had in the past games have been to influenced by the crowd and not made there own decisions... In one match we had the ball kicked out of our keepers hands twice and then they went and scored goals from that. :(

Robbie Fowler

Post by Robbie Fowler »

teddles wrote:It's remarkable how often spectators get upset about a decision, only to have someone explain to them why the decision was right.

The reffing standard isn't that good in places, but the ref bashing that has gone on here recently is ridiculous. It's easy to sling abuse from the sidelines and even easier when you hide behind your keyboard with generalisations.

If you don't like the standard of referreeing, do the training - if you've any honesty, you'll find your opinions change. Then try to do the job and you'll find a massive change in your thinking, NOT because you suddenly identify with them, but because you suddenly realise how hard the job is and how often they get it RIGHT.

Quite frankly, the ref bashing on FootballNews in general has degenerated to poor sportsmanship and sour grapes. How about we move on so that when some plonker does commit a howler, it can be discussed rationally. This sort of nonsense thread prevents any discussion.

Ive said it before we would be in a very poor state if it was left down to parents to do the ref's job!! Anyone who has had to ref a game would know you are not going to please everyone. We had a ref at the weekend who thought the game was a none contact sport but he was consistant what more can you ask. We need these people to keep the league fair!!!

Hollygirl
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Hollygirl »

Robbie Fowler wrote:
teddles wrote:It's remarkable how often spectators get upset about a decision, only to have someone explain to them why the decision was right.

Ive said it before we would be in a very poor state if it was left down to parents to do the ref's job!! Anyone who has had to ref a game would know you are not going to please everyone. We had a ref at the weekend who thought the game was a none contact sport but he was consistant what more can you ask. We need these people to keep the league fair!!!
That wasn't the Para Hills Birkalla game by any chance was it? 8)

You don't tend to get people too upset if the ref is consistant even though you may not always agree with the calls!
Last edited by Hollygirl on Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

povman_2009
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by povman_2009 »

My son is about to embark on an umpiring career so I guess I will have a difficult time listening to people "slagging him off" for being a liar/cheat/useless/less than human. But I must say I am proud of him for putting on the uniform and having a go...

rooboy1986
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rooboy1986 »

povman1964 wrote:My son is about to embark on an umpiring career so I guess I will have a difficult time listening to people "slagging him off" for being a liar/cheat/useless/less than human. But I must say I am proud of him for putting on the uniform and having a go...
Congrats to him povman... I reckon he's brave/honest/helpful and more man than any of those cowardly spectators out there!!

Mr.T_69
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Mr.T_69 »

That wasn't the Para Hills Birkalla game by any chance was it? 8)

You don't tend to get people too upset if the ref is consistant even though you may not always agree with the calls![/quote]

Hollygirl,
I was at the Para Hills Birkalla game last weekend and even though we thought the ref missed a very obvious handball in the penalty area, I still went up to him at the end of the game and told him just how well he had controlled the game. Not everyone is into bagging the refs. They can't call a free kick or a foul if they are blinded by other players.
Well done to the young lad who did referee this particular match :wink: :wink:
"Get some nuts"

Hollygirl
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Hollygirl »

Mr.T_69 wrote:That wasn't the Para Hills Birkalla game by any chance was it? 8)

You don't tend to get people too upset if the ref is consistant even though you may not always agree with the calls!

Hollygirl,
I was at the Para Hills Birkalla game last weekend and even though we thought the ref missed a very obvious handball in the penalty area, I still went up to him at the end of the game and told him just how well he had controlled the game. Not everyone is into bagging the refs. They can't call a free kick or a foul if they are blinded by other players.
Well done to the young lad who did referee this particular match :wink: :wink:[/quote]
Agree....I think both teams had experienced ordinary refs in previous weeks and as I said, while not everyone will agree with every decision, you cannot complain when a ref is consistant with how he referees the game.

PS I was also impressed with the Para supporter who (while very loudly was supporting his team) also took the time to comment on what a great job the Birkalla linesman was doing (he was one of the players who is a qualified ref and is currently serving out his suspension from the week before). :wink:

Wizz Fizz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Wizz Fizz »

haha lets not all get started on Rico.. he loves his yellow and red cards, and if you havnt heard of him where have you been living, he is the most known ref in SA for his poor, shorty fattyness.. :) but if you get him on a good day he can be a good ref. he also refs futsal at St Banards that i play at..

anyone ells heard of him yeah!?
"What is always popular isnt always right, What is always right isnt always popular"
www.xperteleven.com Thanks pulse.. lol

mozza#14
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by mozza#14 »

ahah..ye i know rico. hes a beast. He does futsal.
"Playing soccer is simple, But playing simple is hard"

Wizz Fizz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Wizz Fizz »

mozza#14 wrote:ahah..ye i know rico. hes a beast. He does futsal.
Beast? Beast!? Yeah I guess you can call him a beast in his weight but not as a referee. I had him a few weeks back and he gave out 6 yellows and 1 red, not only they were not meant to be yellow cards but he then took his anger out on the U17 who played straight after us..
"What is always popular isnt always right, What is always right isnt always popular"

mozza#14
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by mozza#14 »

oi Wizz Fizz. r u a dogga?
"Playing soccer is simple, But playing simple is hard"

Wizz Fizz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Wizz Fizz »

What kind of question is that? Can we keep to football..

ronnie.Milan
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by ronnie.Milan »

Wizz Fizz wrote:What kind of question is that? Can we keep to football..
Wizz if I were you I would have told that clown where to go, what sort of question is r u a dogga?. :clown:

Wizz Fizz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Wizz Fizz »

I dunno why some people ask people r you a dogga over a football forum, or even in person..

Covscum
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Covscum »

we gotta remember that mozza , etc are only 11 or 12 year old children. Must be funny to them. Don't know why they mess about on here though...thought they'd enjoy Habbo or MSN more...

Wizz Fizz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Wizz Fizz »

Yeah true, mozza stop acting tough over a forum, even though asking someone if you’re a dogga isn’t tough, just plain stupid.

pork belly
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by pork belly »

Everyone think yourselves lucky, I was at Blue Eagles ground today where there were 4 games being played and there was only two refs allocated. The u/15as had to use a supporter from Para Hills (away team ) to ref and as a impartial observer he did a a great job. Someone told me his name was Mark Elsey

Wizz Fizz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Wizz Fizz »

pork belly wrote:Everyone think yourselves lucky, I was at Blue Eagles ground today where there were 4 games being played and there was only two refs allocated. The u/15as had to use a supporter from Para Hills (away team ) to ref and as a impartial observer he did a a great job. Someone told me his name was Mark Elsey
Someone told you that, or is he your father..? Think about it.. :|

pork belly
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by pork belly »

He is definately not my father. I reckon I might be older than him

Wizz Fizz
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Wizz Fizz »

lol yes yes, what games were being played today at abe? They only have 4 grounds dont they ? (including main pitch)