How serious should junior clubs be?

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

How serious should junior clubs be?

Post by admin »

I hear some clubs take their junior sides very seriously - winning is the no1 priority.

Is it really necessary for clubs to be extremely serious with young juniors eg six and seven year olds? It is an age when there is a lot of disparity between players because some have a couple years of experience and some are brand new to the game.

Shouldnt the focus be on teaching these young players rather than on winning? Obviously winning is important but at such a young age it is not everthing.

I was talking to one parent today who had a six year old son. Went to a local club and was told he could train with them but was not good enough to play. All was ok while they won a few games. Then they lost a couple games, blamed his son for bringing down the standard at training and kicked him out.

I watched another junior game today where the kids might have been around five or six years old. The coach seemed to be taking it very seriously. His team conceded a goal and he started to argue with the referee about the goal. Not that the goal mattered - they were already three goals down.

Maybe I am just getting soft in my old age.

So what are your thoughts on this?

Admin.

BillShankly
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BillShankly »

thats terrible...a disgrace to say that to a child so young.

unfortunately junior clubs look at winning all the time, in most clubs it seems to be the main focus, where development should be the first agenda, so eventually they can represent the club in the seniors.

personally thats why i like the school soccer better, the kids may not be that talented but all the school wants you to do is develop their kids and make sure they are having fun and the results always come once the kids have developed their skills and understanding of the game.

corona
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by corona »

this unfortunate and to many parents and clubs need to look at themselves, as until the kids play for points its should be only development and the understanding of the game.

Vagrant
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Vagrant »

Development first, then winning will look after itself.

The Beaut Game
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by The Beaut Game »

Agreed...The focus must definitely be on development first as winning is inebidable..I mean inevitable!
Its a Beautiful Things

fayigatsidoi
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by fayigatsidoi »

It seems that you will always battle the ugly parent syndrome. One way to combat this is to sit all new parents down at the begining of the kids playing career and explain to them that the focus is developement and emphasise that each child will go at their own pace. The clear focus is that the child is their for their enjoyment first...and to encourage them to participate for the love of the sport.. The skill side as we all know will take years and only if they enjoy it. Unfortunately most clubs with good intentions end up with parents that become coaches and team managers. Here it clear that the clubs must focus on developing the parents..culture..coaching skills....constant culture monitoringis essential etc....after all it is the clubs who have evrything to lose........HOW MANY MATCHES HAVE YOU BEEN TO WHERE THE UGLY PARENT SYDROME HAS RAISED ITS HEAD AND THE CLUB IS ALWAYS JUDGED BY THAT SOLO ACT OF TERRORISM...IT SCARES THE LITTLE ONES TOO

Tottenham Hotspur
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Tottenham Hotspur »

Deveolpment must be first and foremost. The winning will come. If not the kids wont learn anything including how to accept defeat.
125 years

the REAL one
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by the REAL one »

development is the key!!!

but parents lack of commitment is a big problem as well!!!
"Thats not sexy football!" and "Play the REAL one... again and again"

pvfc
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by pvfc »

I know girls soccer is a bit different, but as a coach of one of the better U15 teams around at the moment ( and I am not being biased there) I have to say that even at that age group our club values development over winning at all costs (not that everyone would agree). It is more important for juniors to develop their skills and game in a fun but challenging environment, as this is and the success that the senior teams then experience a few years later is the best way of attracting more players to 'real football'.

povman_2009
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by povman_2009 »

I am of a similar opinion to others. I coach an U/14 team , not federation level. I have been with the team for 3 years, in year 1 we did not win a game, year 2 we had 14 of 15 kids return and we won 3 games and had a couple of draws, they were so happy it was wonderful. This year we have had a few changes and are in a run of 4 wins and a draw in 5 weeks, the players are developing and we are still introducing youngsters to the game, 2 new under 14's this year have never played the game before. I would rather see a player develop and move on to the next level than see them give up in frustration at being shouted at.

just an aside but someone like Andrew Jarman was not noted for his ability at junior level, so sometimes it takes time for players to develop. We need to keep them in the game and enjoying it...

Neutral Observer
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Neutral Observer »

Vagrant wrote:Development first, then winning will look after itself.
For good development we need good coaches. Lets not blame the parents and everybody else, lets look at the club levels. Most clubs are interested to collect money from juniors to support their seniors and can't even provide coaches who understand the basics of soccer. Most coaches on club level are unpaid volunteers who have no idea how to coach. You can get coaching licence for $95.00 and 1 day tutoring. That does not make you good coach.
At school level most coaches are volunteers moms and dads. Thanks god for them otherwise we would not have any soccer at school level. Maybe its time for the clubs to provide good coaches as they promise at the start of the season, when they take from 8 years old kid $500 or $600. For what?

shug
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by shug »

It should be mandated by the FFSA what age groups are allowed to be competitive. I have coached at Elizabeth & Districts for years and it is very straightforward. U6 to U9s play non-competitive games on a mini pitch with modified rules. All players must play at least half a game every week. I also carry this over for older age groups as well. It is not the world cup so even if you don't win it doesn't matter so long as the kids are progressing and enjoying themselves. You need to get them past the critical 14/15 year old age groups and still want to play. Kids do eventually need to learn how to win games and earn their place in teams but not till older ages.
SHUG

sulmona
Star Player
Star Player

Post by sulmona »

Neutral Observer wrote:
Vagrant wrote:Development first, then winning will look after itself.
For good development we need good coaches. Lets not blame the parents and everybody else, lets look at the club levels. Most clubs are interested to collect money from juniors to support their seniors and can't even provide coaches who understand the basics of soccer. Most coaches on club level are unpaid volunteers who have no idea how to coach. You can get coaching licence for $95.00 and 1 day tutoring. That does not make you good coach.
At school level most coaches are volunteers moms and dads. Thanks god for them otherwise we would not have any soccer at school level. Maybe its time for the clubs to provide good coaches as they promise at the start of the season, when they take from 8 years old kid $500 or $600. For what?

Join a Club committee and you'll soon find out about grounds, ligths, rates, federation charges, equipment etc. etc.
Do you know that a set of something as mundane as goal nets costs $4000?

adam
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by adam »

money is well worth it... considering what you get for it...
a baby sitter would cost more for the same time devoted to your kids...

parents and coaches need to relax... let the kids play!

I would like to see a independant FFSA steward doing the rounds of junior games to keep an eye on things...

Vagrant
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Vagrant »

Bust the fee down to cost per contact hour and see what good value it is. Not to mention kit supplied, hours (and hours) put in by coaches and other officials/volenteers, plus all the other (hidden) costs as mentioned previously.

Most people don't realise what they are getting...

Nova
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Nova »

At around 160 hours a year roughly and a $600 fee, that's $3.75 an hour !
Not bad value I think :wink:

theone
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by theone »

I coach an U11 fed side and all though sitting 8 out of 11 we should be much higher with no luck and best player out for 7 weeks with a broken arm - but not excuses. Now the pressure is on to end up in mid table so we don't end up in 12C ! already parents going to take thier boys elsewhere coz we are struggling.

I have some fantastic kids that all things being = should reach a good standard and we do all the things the coaches say about ballwork and when and what to introduce at what age group but when you are competing against parents and club it becomes a frustrating struggle to coinvince them it is about the kid and developing them for 5-8 years time not 2 years time.

Instead of aiming for the Real Mdrids of this world I tell my kids to aim to play for this club and it's seniors if things fall your way then take it when it comes - some parents say shoot for the stars !!!! so it's a losing battle.

Would it not be great to have some sort of footballing accademy where for reasonable cost any level of player can pay as you go.

Then you have the FFSA last year they would not have U11 zones as they were not in a proper competitive enviroment this year they are included coz they dropped some of the higher age groups me thinks a way to ensure no money is lost. I think the 11's as they are is fine a development ground but if you are going to shove them in too the zones then make U11 a proper competition !

One Frustrated Coach

Big Wayne
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Big Wayne »

Good post (Bebo ?)

The ideal junior coaching position is to coach kids from the local orphanage .........where you dont have to deal with parents who think their kid is the next Harry Kewell.

BillShankly
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BillShankly »

feel for you theone, it would be a tough gig.

parents are impossible to deal with at the best of times.

adam
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by adam »

some parents that should read... :D

i know my kids are crap!!! :lol:

fayigatsidoi
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by fayigatsidoi »

Theone, always keep the big picture in mind, developement is a must. We all know the pressure that can result in kids being forced to stay in one role on the field to try to get to the next level for the club ( lazy coaching and egos), and not being able to master the allround skills, as a result the kids get left behind as they get older. Then the clubs look for better players from somewhere else to fill the gaps for the next level with some coachs going on a ego trip.

The eternal question is how to sustain club loyalty from these kids and parents, if it doesn't look possible you may need to take a tough line, get rid of them and work with the ones that will at least show you the rewards for your efforts with loyalty. No-one can begrudge a kid for bettering themselves....but if your parents and club are that short sighted maybe you should reconsider where you are.

lets face it, the real pinnacle of success would be for your kids to have the skills to be able to be selected for the A- league/ national sides/ super league,.......................what everyone forgets is that there are many ways to get there, ...you just got to get there!

Keep plugging on.

fayigatsidoi
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by fayigatsidoi »

Big Wayne wrote:Good post (Bebo ?)

The ideal junior coaching position is to coach kids from the local orphanage .........where you dont have to deal with parents who think their kid is the next Harry Kewell.

Perhaps this is the best reason for the FFSa to insist on perimeter fencing............too keep the parents out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: How serious should junior clubs be?

Post by johnydep »

admin wrote:I hear some clubs take their junior sides very seriously - winning is the no1 priority.

Is it really necessary for clubs to be extremely serious with young juniors eg six and seven year olds? It is an age when there is a lot of disparity between players because some have a couple years of experience and some are brand new to the game.

Shouldnt the focus be on teaching these young players rather than on winning? Obviously winning is important but at such a young age it is not everthing.

I was talking to one parent today who had a six year old son. Went to a local club and was told he could train with them but was not good enough to play. All was ok while they won a few games. Then they lost a couple games, blamed his son for bringing down the standard at training and kicked him out.

I watched another junior game today where the kids might have been around five or six years old. The coach seemed to be taking it very seriously. His team conceded a goal and he started to argue with the referee about the goal. Not that the goal mattered - they were already three goals down.

Maybe I am just getting soft in my old age.

So what are your thoughts on this?

Admin.
I agree the early age groups should be focused on development of the player and the person; we should be teaching rules, fitness, ball control, skills & attitude.

It is amazing how many clubs have kids that can not shake hands after a game and say "well done" to there opponent, even after a win.
Everyone is quick to blame the parents, but I believe it is the coach & club that set the standards for parents & players to follow.

Something new that I have noticed is teams introducing Trainers & teaching the kids professional style fouls; the hard to see push, pull or shove, the slight tap of the opponents ankle, hidden hand balls, etc. Should this be part of these young players development?
If yes, then we should have professional refereeing of the game to also teach the consequences of such tactics, instead of volunteer dads.

Over aged players is also an issue, why do we still not have player licences issued to all teams? All players’ should line up with their registration before a game; this should happen at all age groups.

Changes have to come from the top; in our State, we need to have officials at the game so there is consistency and correctness in decisions like offside, fouls, free kicks, bad behaviour, etc.

Lastly; it is not all bad out their, there are teams & coaches that want to do the right thing and do. I’ve noticed that it is these clubs that have parents that are civil and friendly, win, draw or lose the kids have a great time, you can see them laughing no matter what happens, when you see that you know that things are going well and the future is bright. 8)

New FFA Coach Education structure for 2007 onwards

harryhandsome1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by harryhandsome1 »

I am involved at amateur level in only my second season coaching and we have a few lads who have stepped up from junior this season and they are very raw. They really want to learn and have a great attitude but have not been coached properly and been dumped on the scrap heap because they werent the cream players who rise to the top.

More clubs need to start junior set ups and encourage the younger lads to come through, the politics in junior football needs to be adressed so that the level of football gets better.

corona
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by corona »

haerd valley view have a good set up . plus unfortuntaly teams can only have 15 a squad then at trials turn up 40 , tough to see all the kids .

English
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by English »

povman1964 wrote:I am of a similar opinion to others. I coach an U/14 team , not federation level. I have been with the team for 3 years, in year 1 we did not win a game, year 2 we had 14 of 15 kids return and we won 3 games and had a couple of draws, they were so happy it was wonderful. This year we have had a few changes and are in a run of 4 wins and a draw in 5 weeks, the players are developing and we are still introducing youngsters to the game, 2 new under 14's this year have never played the game before. I would rather see a player develop and move on to the next level than see them give up in frustration at being shouted at.

just an aside but someone like Andrew Jarman was not noted for his ability at junior level, so sometimes it takes time for players to develop. We need to keep them in the game and enjoying it...
And Ive watched them, its great when you have kids who have grown from players who have very little potential to begin with, but grow into fantastic team players.

With my lot, individually they arent the bees knees, but as a team they just seem to lift somedays.

ie first season won 1 game, 80% of team came back and we won 2 games, now we only have 2 players from original year and we have won twice this year and been very unlucky in about 4 games.

Even though they are U/13s i say stuff the winning, the kids are enjoying themselves by having a run about on a sturday afternoon, thats the important thing

BillShankly
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BillShankly »

harryhandsome1 wrote:I am involved at amateur level in only my second season coaching and we have a few lads who have stepped up from junior this season and they are very raw. They really want to learn and have a great attitude but have not been coached properly and been dumped on the scrap heap because they werent the cream players who rise to the top.

More clubs need to start junior set ups and encourage the younger lads to come through, the politics in junior football needs to be adressed so that the level of football gets better.

totally agree.

English
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by English »

As do I.

At PHE we are fortunate enough to have a pretty decent set up with i'd say over half the juniors now reaching Colts and pushing through to seniors.

viduka
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by viduka »

very serious cos its developing the next generation of players.

English
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by English »

True developing them is important but making sure they have fun is my main objective (if they turn out to be superstars I'll just hound them for money later :D)