Treating kids like ready meals harms us all - Good article

This forum is for the discussion of general coaching topics. Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

FootballNews is not responsible for any of the comments posted in this forum and this forum is moderated.

Moderator: Forum Admins

BillShankly
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Treating kids like ready meals harms us all - Good article

Post by BillShankly »

Treating kids like ready meals harms us all

I hate to say it, but the future of English talent in football looks grim. We have created a system that hoovers up and spits out vast numbers of kids, without developing them into great players. It is a numbers game of shameless opulence - why invest in developing a player when you can just buy more in?

Not that this has halted the demand for more kids to be introduced to the system. At even the youngest age level, football is becoming a factory production line. Clubs are snapping up eight-year-olds - I heard that one of the Big Four have as many as 250 on their books. I was pretty shocked at that - and wasn't sure if it was true - until I asked around at Portsmouth and discovered that we have 180 under-nines.

So thousands of young kids are being affiliated, from a very early age, to big clubs. And when our group of 180 make it to 16 years old, all of a sudden they are competing not only with 179 British kids, but with players of the same age that clubs recruit from abroad. How demoralising.

This trend of buying young talent from overseas is pure laziness. Why are we reaching across the Channel every time we need a quick-fix teenage sensation? Is there such a gulf in talent between England and the rest of the world?

A reunion with my old Watford youth-team coach, Tom Whalley, at Wembley the other week reminded me what youth football used to be about. He would pick me up from my house in Welwyn Garden City and take me to training because my mum didn't drive. Even Rio remembered him. Years ago, Rio came off in a match against Watford youth and Tom said: "You're going to be a great player one day." Rio said he never forgot that comment, it made him feel fantastic.

Tom is a landscape gardener now. Football has changed and the youth system doesn't seem to look after its players in the way that he thinks is important. He says it's more like one big supermarket, churning out footballer ready meals.

We seem to have the balance wrong. Yes, we want young footballers to develop their skills, but we also want them to have a childhood and enjoy the game. When I was a kid I read Bob Wilson's autobiography. After every match, Bob's dad used to ask him: "Did you enjoy the game?" regardless of the result. That's what we should be teaching our kids, not career advice on how to become the next Wayne Rooney. Football shouldn't feel like a job to an eight-year-old.

Couple that with our inability to teach our kids the basic skills and you can see the mess we're in. Youth coaches keep telling me young footballers can't perform the basic elements of the game any more. They can do all of Cristiano Ronaldo's tricks, but they can't pull off a defence-splitting pass like Stevie G.

I spoke to some of the England lads and they say they are surprised how often their clubs identify a superstar kid one week and forget him the next. To me that doesn't feel good. Every player has their own development timeline. Football is littered with examples from Rod Thomas at Watford, "the next Pele" aged 14 - playing for Carlisle United aged 23 - to Ian Wright, spotted playing park football aged 21.

But when clubs attempt a shortcut, hoarding talent by increasing their squad sizes to ridiculous figures, as in Liverpool's 62 professional first-team players, they may as well throw in the towel on the development side of the game.

That may sound harsh, but why then have Liverpool produced so few great English players in recent years? Who has come through since Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher? Two players in 12 odd years is a very low success rate.

Arsenal have Jack Wilshere, which gives you some hope, but that's just one English lad in a huge academy structure. At Portsmouth I can't name a single current first-team player who came through the youth system. If you're one of these 180 eight-year-olds, how will that make you feel?

With big clubs increasingly making a habit of loaning out their players to smaller clubs, football is ever more supermarket-like, opening up Tesco's locals, messing with local talent. If the loan system worked I wouldn't mind, but how can a club with 62 first-team players seriously keep tabs on all their loanees? And if they're not actively tracking their development, then what is the point of a loan? As for reserve teams, well, you're better off playing for anyone's first team than a Premier League club's reserves. It's meaningless.

What's the answer? Academies and youth programmes should be set up by the FA and the Premier League without direct affiliations to clubs. Kids should be concentrating on learning to play and enjoying the game up to the age of 16, not worrying about which club they should sign for. And create a meaningful link between the youth and the professionals, as Paul Hart has begun to do at Portsmouth - his background in youth football influencing his approach. Lose the ready meals, and we may just start seeing some quality produce.

David James has donated his fee for this column to charity

Eventual legend: Ian Wright was signed at 21

Jeda
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Treating kids like ready meals harms us all - Good article

Post by Jeda »

:| not sure of the point of the article in this forum :? it will be a loooong time before australia has the problems that england is having :( unless you're hinting that the ffa & ffsa set up academies "Academies and youth programmes should be set up by the FA and the Premier League without direct affiliations to clubs" :shock: :idea: who will pay, who will have a say in the model used, do associated clubs nominate & vote board members onto the FFA & FFSA committees :?: :?: until that happens forget about trusting faceless suits to start an academy :oops:
I do not know which makes a man more conservative—to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past.
- John Maynard Keynes

John Walker AFPP
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by John Walker AFPP »

Academies will always exist as they deliver what club coaches cannot do and the that is development. A club coach cannot spend 30 minutes on one player on one topic as all the other players and parents would feel left out. Also academies deliver other things like food and nutrition that only dedicated club coaches deliver. I am not having a go at club coaches as it is huge and very difficult job. Parents say they want development but lose more than you win and they leave to another club etc ????????????????????? Also most parents do not like the team selections but dont put there hand up to coach or help out. In Australia we have great young players, great weather and great facilities I think the coaching is the problem. Also WE think we are good when in reality we are very average. However if the FFA keep developing and keep creating opertunities for coaches and players we might get somewhere.

To all development coaches keep up the good work, to all result minded youth coaches THINK ABOUT IT.

John Walker
AFPP
John Walker
AFPP

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

John Walker

Also academies deliver other things like food and nutrition that only dedicated club coaches deliver.

i think pele (in his autobiography) mentioned that he too had a personal trainer, a nutritionist, a live in chef and a fitness advisor at his disposal......... :D

no offenve directed at JW or any other academy
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill