u/17 league split

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

dormin
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

u/17 league split

Post by dormin »

Have heard rumours the u/17 league is being split in two..............
Can anyone verify this plz.

Surely no one would do this in the middle of a season.It would leave the teams involved with only 5 games left for the year
Not the right way to keep girls interested in the game if its true..

BillShankly
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: u/17 league split

Post by BillShankly »

it has been split

6 teams into an 'a' div
Ad City
Cumberland
Metro
Para Hills Knights
Para Hills Junior Black
Western District Toros

4 into 'b'
Sturt Marion
Adelaide Blue Eagles
Para Hills Junior White
Para Hills East

All teams to play each other twice more.

cg1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by cg1 »

I believe the 4 teams are scheduled to play each other 3 times.
It was voted on by all clubs involved in the U17 league with the majority endorsing the split.

dormin
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by dormin »

OMG///
who the hell splits a league in the middle of a season.
All these teams have just had all the variety taken out of their season; no one wants to play the same teams all the time.
What was the point of playing the first half of the season.This would not happen in any other sport, no wonder we cant keep girls in the game.They may as well go to other sports that can be run with a degree of professionalism,,
Also,the phone discussion I just had informed me that the majority wanted it left as it was.I wasnt at any meetings so cant say if this is right or not though..Either way,its a very amatuerish way to run a sport;nothing new there though......

Question: The ffsa must have approved this, so why arent they tearing apart the boys leagues as well.At a quick glance there are about 80% that have winless teams in them as well, and obviously every league has teams that are struggling :?

This just enhances the lack of feel,contempt and disregard ffsa have for the womens game :( :( :( :( :(
Go find a sport that actually gives a shite about you girls..........

cg1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by cg1 »

I'm sure it wouldn't have been split if Olympic hadn't withdrawn from the U17 competition. Now with the restructure the teams will get more games instead of another bye. Plus after repeated requests for teams not to have 25+ to nil scorelines I guess rightly or wrongly alternatives had to be looked at.

ARodgers
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ARodgers »

It actually went through because the majority voted for it to happen. Something needed to be done though, there was no point in those bottom four teams getting thumped by at least 6-7 goals and up to 27 goals almost every week. I've heard from a number of sources that a lot of girls in these teams are getting disheartened and drifting away from the game. While a four team league is far from ideal, there is no real 'ideal' solution to this problem, and at least all the teams have more even games each week. It does create a huge logistical nightmare for clubs though. They'll have to put out a new draw ASAP, and I know us at Knights are going to have some clashes with the boys!

I'm not 100% happy that they are probably going to leave the points and goals the way they are though. Especially with Olympic forfeiting so many rounds, and looking like one of the weaker teams, some of the top sides have gained a few goals on the others. Having said that, resetting everything makes the past games meaningless, and i'm positive City would have had a fit if that had happened (rightly so too). Perhaps the fair thing to do would have been only to carry over the points and goals only from the teams that will be in your new division.

Like I said though, there is no real 'ideal' solution for this, but something really had to be done.

southern
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by southern »

This is a disgraceful decision on behalf of the FFSA.

Would they split in two the U17 boys? No way.

The clubs vote? The clubs shouldn't vote on anything half way through the season. There's a federation recognised by the clubs to manage the sport and what do they do? Get the clubs to make their decisions. The FFSA patronises the women's game, that's the truth. The men's admins down below don't respect the women's game. They must think that it's a joke. Shame.

Angela Porcu
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Angela Porcu »

Splitting the league mid season is a joke, but if all the clubs have voted for it I guess you can't argue it.
I don't just want to have my cake and eat it, I want to go back for cheesy biscuits and tiramisu.

ball_girl
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by ball_girl »

you do realise... everyone was pissed of at FFSA for making decisions that would affect the clubs without consulting the clubs, eg the way prems was changed this year etc... and now that the clubs have been given the chance to make their own decision, FFSA is still getting slammed.
make up your minds, you either want the clubs to have a say or you dont.
you cant slam ffsa for both.
give a team a break!
"to be a team, to play together... its the best gift that can be given or recieved"

Angela Porcu
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Angela Porcu »

Fair call.
I don't just want to have my cake and eat it, I want to go back for cheesy biscuits and tiramisu.

southern
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by southern »

C'ling, you are way off the mark here.

The federation should always consult with the clubs (that's what a federation is: a federation of affiliated clubs!!!!), but to work for the next season. Or they could have had the meetings now to decide for next year. Would you like to split the Premier league (you play there don't you?) in two NOW???? There have been years in the Prems when some teams were thumbed every week 10 nil, but still was that the case for changing the rules half way through? A competition when everybody plays the same teams all the time is just not interesting. That's all.

ball_girl
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by ball_girl »

im not saying its right... i never once said its right.
im just saying that people are slamming ffsa for supposedly making decisions regardless of what the clubs want, and now that the clubs were given the chance to vote for what they want, ffsa are getting slammed for allowing the split of the 17s competition.

its not a matter of splitting the premier league, its totally irrelevant. we're not getting 25 nil scorelines... they are.

how would you like to be in a team thats getting slammed by that much week in and week out? i personally would hate it, and i would welcome the split from the top of the table.
yes it sucks that they now only have 3 other teams to play against, but it sure would feel better getting reasonable scorelines, which im hoping is what will happen for the sake of the teams in group b, then getting beaten by an unthinkable amount each week.
give a team a break!
"to be a team, to play together... its the best gift that can be given or recieved"

Easy Tiger
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Easy Tiger »

Yeah I would hate getting slammed 25 nil week in week out. That's for sure :cry:

ecky_8
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by ecky_8 »

personally, i think that if i was in a team getting slammed each week by those types of score lines, i'd welcome a change from that, even if it meant playing the same teams another two times.
but, c'lings right
you can't just have a go at the ffsa for absolutely everything they do

underrated
In Memory of Dylan Tombides
In Memory of Dylan Tombides

Post by underrated »

this actual is unfair.
i play in the 17's aswell as div2 most weeks.
in the 17's there are 3 teams that are killa, and they own the league, then there are 4 of us teams that are in the middle and we can beat the bottom 3 teams with a little ease but playing the top teams, we are getting killed aswell versing eachother it can go either way really. i can understand that the bottom few teams are getting dissheartend and the top teams need challenge, but the middle teams can challenge them on a good day. i think its a bit ridiculous to change the league half way through. those bottom teams could still verse the higher teams in the cup if they make it to the next rounds. there will be 2 lower teams making it through to the next round and will be versing the higher teams in the next round if they win.
just saying.

ball_girl
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by ball_girl »

yeah no decision can be fair on everybody though. which sucks.
but you said that you in the middle teams can give the top teams a challenge on a good day, it could be incentive to play a better game, to put in a bit more effort.
whereas those bottom teams that are getting slammed every week, if they know that playing against 6 of the 9 teams they're gonna get slammed, they're gonna lose interest. everyone needs a fair challenge.
so it sucks for some people yes, but in regards to keeping some younger girls in the game, i think it needed to be done.
give a team a break!

ecky_8
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by ecky_8 »

here's a question then
the FFSA consulted the clubs apparently
did the clubs consult the players?

cg1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by cg1 »

My earlier point seems to have been overlooked.
The withdrawal of Olympic has spurred on the option to change the league.
There was already an odd number in the league creating a bye for teams.
Withdrawing a team just creates another bye.
An alternative that could have been considered was a re-structure that now used the even number of teams to have more games but this wasn't presented as an option nor do I believe any club asked for this. (don't know for sure only what was discussed at the meeting of clubs)
However the 2 fold effect of the lower sides getting beaten heavily I'm sure contributed to the direction of the restructure.

ecky_8
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by ecky_8 »

cg1 wrote:My earlier point seems to have been overlooked.
The withdrawal of Olympic has spurred on the option to change the league.
There was already an odd number in the league creating a bye for teams.
Withdrawing a team just creates another bye.
An alternative that could have been considered was a re-structure that now used the even number of teams to have more games but this wasn't presented as an option nor do I believe any club asked for this. (don't know for sure only what was discussed at the meeting of clubs)
However the 2 fold effect of the lower sides getting beaten heavily I'm sure contributed to the direction of the restructure.

yeah, if that was the only issue, the two teams with the bye could have just played each other.. surely?
i thinik that would have worked
but exactly with the lower sides getting thrashed..
/shrugs

ARodgers
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ARodgers »

ecky_8 wrote:here's a question then
I can't speak for the other clubs, but we did consult players, parents and coaches.

I personally feel it is more of a disgrace letting junior teams be beaten by such large margins week in week out. We talk about wanting this sport to grow and expand, but I guarantee you that half those girls playing in the lower teams would have left the sport entirely at the end of the season.

dormin
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by dormin »

There was only one side which was not competetive at all.
They are mainly underage players pushed into a league they never had a hope in.some first timers as well I,m told..
This team should be dropped to the u/15c league which has a bye at present.Dont let them gain points as this would effect this league.However ,at least they could play in games where they may be more competetive and start to learn the game;hopefully preparing them for a better season next year,,Why should the rest of the league suffer to accomadate one side????????
As for the other teams near the bottom of the league....Have a look ,every league on the planet is the same,,a team on top and teams near the bottom..If this league is to be reassesed mid season,then all leagues where the bottom two or three sides have less than a 25% win ratio should be reassesed.THAT WOULD BE ALL OF THEM..
One set of rules for everyone,,,What a shirazing joke :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Also why wasnt this addressed earlier,Croydon u/13 boys lose 23 - 0 first round and the ffsa are in there that week to sort it out...I know they dont give a %^*& about womens football but they're not shy about taking our $$$$$$ :x :x :x :x :x

I still dispute that it was a majority decision too...everyone I speak too tells a different story////////////////
Just an afterthought, what about the families that have planned holidays or other things around the old fixture list.

dormin
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by dormin »

ARodgers wrote:
ecky_8 wrote:here's a question then
I can't speak for the other clubs, but we did consult players, parents and coaches.

I personally feel it is more of a disgrace letting junior teams be beaten by such large margins week in week out. We talk about wanting this sport to grow and expand, but I guarantee you that half those girls playing in the lower teams would have left the sport entirely at the end of the season.

What about the girls in the other teams who leave because they can see their sport has become a joke and a waste of time??????????

John Cena
Star Player
Star Player

Post by John Cena »

_changeling_ wrote:you do realise... everyone was pissed of at FFSA for making decisions that would affect the clubs without consulting the clubs, eg the way prems was changed this year etc... and now that the clubs have been given the chance to make their own decision, FFSA is still getting slammed.
make up your minds, you either want the clubs to have a say or you dont.
you cant slam ffsa for both.

FFSA didnt make the changes to prems/reserves , wendy and co bottle of shiraz it

Angela Porcu
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Angela Porcu »

Hulk Hogan wrote:FFSA didnt make the changes to prems/reserves , wendy and co bottle of shiraz it
It's unusual for you to use language like that.

ball_girl
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by ball_girl »

L4OTH wrote:There was only one side which was not competetive at all.
They are mainly underage players pushed into a league they never had a hope in.some first timers as well I,m told..
This team should be dropped to the u/15c league which has a bye at present.Dont let them gain points as this would effect this league.However ,at least they could play in games where they may be more competetive and start to learn the game;hopefully preparing them for a better season next year,,Why should the rest of the league suffer to accomadate one side????????
As for the other teams near the bottom of the league....Have a look ,every league on the planet is the same,,a team on top and teams near the bottom..If this league is to be reassesed mid season,then all leagues where the bottom two or three sides have less than a 25% win ratio should be reassesed.THAT WOULD BE ALL OF THEM..
One set of rules for everyone,,,What a shirazing joke :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Also why wasnt this addressed earlier,Croydon u/13 boys lose 23 - 0 first round and the ffsa are in there that week to sort it out...I know they dont give a %^*& about womens football but they're not shy about taking our $$$$$$ :x :x :x :x :x

I still dispute that it was a majority decision too...everyone I speak too tells a different story////////////////
Just an afterthought, what about the families that have planned holidays or other things around the old fixture list.
you want them to be competetive, yet not let them earn points? thats the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard!
yes i agree that if they're new players they may need to gain experience, but if they've got nothing to aim for, no points to gain, how is that gonna keep them interested?!

as for the U13 boys team, did they get dropped into a different age group, or was there another division of u13s they could go into? because theres way more boys teams, so this option could be available for them. as far as im aware, the boys teams have always used the first few games of their season to work out which teams belong in which division, so the ffsa jumping on the team that got beaten 23-0 is really nothing new.
give a team a break!

ecky_8
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by ecky_8 »

what happened with the croydon boys? because when i last checked, which was a while back, croydon's first six games or so had been absolute jokes, 23/15/16 nils etc
which is unusual for croydon actually

dormin
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by dormin »

Last edited by dormin on Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dormin
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by dormin »

_changeling_ wrote:

you want them to be competetive, yet not let them earn points? thats the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard!
yes i agree that if they're new players they may need to gain experience, but if they've got nothing to aim for, no points to gain, how is that gonna keep them interested?!

So instead we make nine other teams pay the price to keep one team happy....THATS BRILLIANT :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
If they're gonna shiraz one league up,then they need to look at them all to be fair...OR LEAVE IT THE SHIRAZ ALONE!!!!!!!!!!
Dangerous precedent being set here as well...Don't like where your sides positioned, just have a cry and get the league changed to something more suitable...

ball_girl
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by ball_girl »

no. instead we ask 9 other teams what they think of splitting the league.
but wait i forgot you have trouble believing it was majority rules...

if the majority hadnt decided it was "the best decision", im sure there would've been another alternative.
give a team a break!

dormin
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by dormin »

Even if it was a majority..a decision that effects all teams should be unanimous to pass.......................