Small Sided Football in 2009,2010

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

Green_Manalishi
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Re: Small Sided Football in 2009

Post by Green_Manalishi »

goal!!! wrote:can i ask the scores of the teams ?
I was more focussed on watching the skills and remember it was only a 10 minute HT fill-in. Probably around 6 goals scored in that period - several of them were actually well constructed. I wouldn't mind seeing our 15s put a few together like that :P
Occasionally available in blue

REDS
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by REDS »

Green_Manalishi wrote:Have not been won over by the SSF format to date, but saw SSF for the first time yesterday at HT during the Raiders Galaxy game.

Wow! Great display from what must have been U6s (U7s?). Future superstar in the shape of little Matty from Raiders - what a battler and great skills. Birkalla kids were good too :D

Might have to change my thinking.
Yep that little Matthew is a pocket rocket and is a very good player for his age. :wink:

Suffolk 'N' Good
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Suffolk 'N' Good »

I was at the game on Saturday watching Raiders v Adelaide Galaxy. At half time i was watching the SSK game and i agree, the young lad for Raiders Matthew has the potential to become a star! :wink:

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

goal!!! wrote:can i ask the scores of the teams ?

I think one game was 3-2, and the other 2-1. And every player got plenty of touches

What's the point of your question ???? :roll:

I think the boys and girls enjoyed playing on a MAIN pitch of high quality, in front of 300+ spectators, and high-fiving their idols as they ran out onto the pitch, and then being able to watch them play afterwards.
Do you think 6/7 yo's kids would have enjoyed the day ??
Spot Željko Jurin Jnr ......

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

Southampton #7 wrote:
Zeljko Jurin wrote:
goal!!! wrote:well i can say i told u so ! fees will damage the game.. ssg will SSF will allow clubs to increase fees , parents who cant afford or wont pay that sort of money wont send the kids to play and choose another sport. the area we are from has a high AFL footy - however since australia world cup entry we have seen a huge explosion and more every year since 2006 . however this new setup does have a huge potential to damage this and send kids back to footy afl .. yes fund raising is the key not peny pinching from kids.. wheres that int he stats ? and cir. ffa have put out .. i heard of a very large sydney club not all happy with fees and charges and SSG as a flop ! so much for unity ...

ffsa should have put a cap on it and asked each club to keep it low .. so its faor all round ...
I'm not sure what you're trying to say in regards to $$$$$, but I can say that Raiders SSF this year was $147.50 per child. which gives you a FULL NIKE kit (shirt with name, shorts, socks) approx 50 training sessions (kids have the option to train once or twice a week) plus games, which have been organised for nearly all Raiders senior home games on Sat's, plus inter-club gala days every 2-3 weeks.

I cant speak for other clubs, but now you do the maths goal!!!! :roll:

what about putting the money into better coaches instead of tops with your name on it. i am sure a few bibs will do the job. i am sure FFSA can supply bibs with sponsor names . If your fair dinkum the cost to run is minimal for 6-8 year olds you dont even have to turn the lights on.
Are you serious, are you saying less than $150 is too much for a full season of training/playing plus a kit ??

It actually costs $5.50 (the cost of a bib) to put their name on their shirt, not much for something they are so proud of that they want to sleep in it every night, and want to wear it to every occasion not even associated with the club

And read my post to Merson above in regards to coaches at Raiders this year :roll:

Green_Manalishi
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Zeljko Jurin wrote:.....Do you think 6/7 yo's kids would have enjoyed the day ??
I'm sure they did.......just so long as they weren't around towards the end of the game when some very loud and very family unfriendly comments were being directed towards the referee.

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

Green_Manalishi wrote:
Zeljko Jurin wrote:.....Do you think 6/7 yo's kids would have enjoyed the day ??
I'm sure they did.......just so long as they weren't around towards the end of the game when some very loud and very family unfriendly comments were being directed towards the referee.
True, but unfortunately ethnics, alcohol, bed refs and losing, dont make a good combination :(
I kept them away from the refs though :wink:

kamikaze
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by kamikaze »

can someone tell me are u/9 small ssg next season or roo ball..

REDS
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by REDS »

kamikaze wrote:can someone tell me are u/9 small ssg next season or roo ball..
I think you will find it will be SSF for under 9's (not a lot different to rooball)

7V7 (including a goal keeper)
5mtr 2 mtr goal
40mtr X 30mtr pitch approx
FFSA club v club organised games

I also think you will find that the under 8's will have the same set up as above as per the national curriculum

Bluedad
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Bluedad »

SSG's are the way to go. My Blueson has excelled with these programs.
A Persons future behaviour is accurately forecasted by their past behaviour.

Killa Pass
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Killa Pass »

Bluedad wrote:SSG's are the way to go. My Blueson has excelled with these programs.
Yep but that's what every parent or 99% of parents would say about their own kid whether he was playing SSF or SSG's or Roo-ball or making mud castles out there. :oops:

Green_Manalishi
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

whip it in!! wrote:
Bluedad wrote:SSG's are the way to go. My Blueson has excelled with these programs.
Yep but that's what every parent or 99% of parents would say about their own kid whether he was playing SSF or SSG's or Roo-ball or making mud castles out there. :oops:
Obviously yours are the 1% that didn't :shock:

Killa Pass
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Killa Pass »

Green_Manalishi wrote:
whip it in!! wrote:
Obviously yours are the 1% that didn't :shock:
No GM I would think most would like the SSF format for some kids, but thats another debate. I was just being a smart ass making reference to parents thinking they have the next Ronaldo.

Barney Rubble
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Barney Rubble »

I just spent a weekend in Devon watching my nephew play in a comp of U10's.

Very fast and all the players got involved, very little chance of individual skills being a deciding factor but the movement and passing of the ball was brilliant.

One player turned the defender and passed the ball into the box taking the 'keeper out of the picture but no attacker was there !

The player was not fussed and the coach laughed.

Priceless

Then the rain came and we left so i am not sure who won on the day,

It was between two teams from Plymouth / Exeter i think :oops:
Without ammunition, the Air Force is just an expensive flying club

James
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by James »

Barney Rubble wrote:I just spent a weekend in Devon watching my nephew play in a comp of U10's.

Very fast and all the players got involved, very little chance of individual skills being a deciding factor but the movement and passing of the ball was brilliant.

One player turned the defender and passed the ball into the box taking the 'keeper out of the picture but no attacker was there !

The player was not fussed and the coach laughed.

Priceless

Then the rain came and we left so i am not sure who won on the day,

It was between two teams from Plymouth / Exeter i think :oops:
Was the game played in SSF format Barney?

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

My initial observations of my son playing SSF is that it offers nothing extra.
Still a crowd of kids following the ball....jury still out on this one for me.
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

James
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by James »

swannsong wrote:My initial observations of my son playing SSF is that it offers nothing extra.
The 'swarm' will happen regardless of the format. I like the fact that the swarm is halved in size.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Malcolm McDonald. wrote:
swannsong wrote:My initial observations of my son playing SSF is that it offers nothing extra.
The 'swarm' will happen regardless of the format. I like the fact that the swarm is halved in size.
It's all relative...the area they play in is quartered...like I said, the jury is still out for me.

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

swannsong wrote:
Malcolm McDonald. wrote:
It's all relative...the area they play in is quartered...like I said, the jury is still out for me.
Meaning, they're not running marathons, and they're actually touching the ball more often ??

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Zeljko Jurin wrote: Meaning, they're not running marathons, and they're actually touching the ball more often ??
Like I said, you people may have made a decision along with FFSA, I haven't, hence....the jury is still out for me....I'm not arguing the point.

Club Referee
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Club Referee »

Sounds like arguing to me.
Talk Is Cheap wrote:being able to use a computer doesn't hinder people writing condescending crap.

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

swannsong wrote:
Zeljko Jurin wrote: Meaning, they're not running marathons, and they're actually touching the ball more often ??
Like I said, you people may have made a decision along with FFSA, I haven't, hence....the jury is still out for me....I'm not arguing the point.
I asked simple 2 questions, you havent answered them :(

goal!!!
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by goal!!! »

i think SSG will be a big flop it will take 4 years to realzise this and then a new director will chnage it then everyone will singing his tune .. how the world turns... you know i still havnt seen any real proof that ssg is done by more than a few countries .... and to me it looks like they have tried to impement the street soccer ?? but pardon me isnt that why we have futsal ..

Rodney
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Rodney »

Goal, you may think it is a big flop, but believe me it is not!! Our family has now done both and I can tell you that the improvement this year with some of the kids has been wonderful. Practice makes perfect is how the saying goes and that's exactly what SSF does, allows more practice (with a ball and not running 100 metre sprints = thats athletics) in a similar amount of time! You need alot more skill to kick a ball in a 1 m by 1 m goal than a 5 m X 2m one. You need a lot more skill to actually get around opponents who are close to you than so far down the park that you can tell what they look like. Any player can hoof a ball but can a player get around an opponent 1 m away and make a quick decision who to pass to in order to get out of trouble, (quick and good decision making). SSF provides the backbone giving rise to all the necessary skills and abilities young players need to actually play the game properly.

Alot of thought and research has gone into the new national curriculum by the FFA and Small Sided Football is here to stay. It is not some fancy whim that someone has dreamed up in two minutes. It has taken a few years to put together and is being done so all over Australia.

You do not have to like it or embrace it, because in the north you have a choice (e&d) but don't knock something you obviously have no idea about!

Futsal is a form of Small Sided Football yes, but it is played indoors and in its own right and with its own rules.

blue moon
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by blue moon »

Rodney wrote:Goal, you may think it is a big flop, but believe me it is not!! Our family has now done both and I can tell you that the improvement this year with some of the kids has been wonderful. Practice makes perfect is how the saying goes and that's exactly what SSF does, allows more practice (with a ball and not running 100 metre sprints = thats athletics) in a similar amount of time! You need alot more skill to kick a ball in a 1 m by 1 m goal than a 5 m X 2m one. You need a lot more skill to actually get around opponents who are close to you than so far down the park that you can tell what they look like. Any player can hoof a ball but can a player get around an opponent 1 m away and make a quick decision who to pass to in order to get out of trouble, (quick and good decision making). SSF provides the backbone giving rise to all the necessary skills and abilities young players need to actually play the game properly.

Alot of thought and research has gone into the new national curriculum by the FFA and Small Sided Football is here to stay. It is not some fancy whim that someone has dreamed up in two minutes. It has taken a few years to put together and is being done so all over Australia.

You do not have to like it or embrace it, because in the north you have a choice (e&d) but don't knock something you obviously have no idea about!

Futsal is a form of Small Sided Football yes, but it is played indoors and in its own right and with its own rules.
a number of exaggerations in your argument but players actually need to be athletes as well. ssg great for practice but exactly that, but come the weekend they want to play a competitive game as they see their heroes playing, normal football. its up to the coaches to ensure they get the best of both.

James
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by James »

blue moon wrote:
Rodney wrote:Goal, you may think it is a big flop, but believe me it is not!! Our family has now done both and I can tell you that the improvement this year with some of the kids has been wonderful. Practice makes perfect is how the saying goes and that's exactly what SSF does, allows more practice (with a ball and not running 100 metre sprints = thats athletics) in a similar amount of time! You need alot more skill to kick a ball in a 1 m by 1 m goal than a 5 m X 2m one. You need a lot more skill to actually get around opponents who are close to you than so far down the park that you can tell what they look like. Any player can hoof a ball but can a player get around an opponent 1 m away and make a quick decision who to pass to in order to get out of trouble, (quick and good decision making). SSF provides the backbone giving rise to all the necessary skills and abilities young players need to actually play the game properly.

a number of exaggerations in your argument but players actually need to be athletes as well. ssg great for practice but exactly that, but come the weekend they want to play a competitive game as they see their heroes playing, normal football. its up to the coaches to ensure they get the best of both.
Isnt practice what little one need to develop. What constitute 'competative for a 6 yo'?
When it comes to the week end game why complicate it with rules that go over most little one heads.

blue moon
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by blue moon »

6s do have modified rules. but 9/10/11s are old enough to grasp the real game of football.

Rodney
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Rodney »

blue moon wrote:6s do have modified rules. but 9/10/11s are old enough to grasp the real game of football.

Yes I have watched an Under 9's game and I watched with some interest one young lad who played and he got two kicks of the ball in half a game. But don't despair he will be a great athlete some day!!

That's what Under 12, 13, 14, 15, 16's are for - grasping the game. When their bodies and muscles can handle a playing arena designed for adults.

In the end it is each to their own!

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Zeljko Jurin wrote:
swannsong wrote:
Zeljko, two question marks at the end of a string of words doesn't aways suggest two questions, I presumed you were making statements.
You seem to get very uptight on the subject....
But to answer your comments.....I can't compare with recent games, but back when I was helping coach U/6s and U/7s kids seemed to get just as many touches and as always, one or two will run all game.
Maybe it's just the team my son is in.......and for a third time I will state, or reiterate what I have said previously.....this particular juror is still out on SSF.
Will see how 2010 pans out.

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

swannsong wrote:
Zeljko Jurin wrote:
swannsong wrote: Like I said, you people may have made a decision along with FFSA, I haven't, hence....the jury is still out for me....I'm not arguing the point.
Zeljko, two question marks at the end of a string of words doesn't aways suggest two questions, I presumed you were making statements.
You seem to get very uptight on the subject....
But to answer your comments.....I can't compare with recent games, but back when I was helping coach U/6s and U/7s kids seemed to get just as many touches and as always, one or two will run all game.
Maybe it's just the team my son is in.......and for a third time I will state, or reiterate what I have said previously.....this particular juror is still out on SSF.
Will see how 2010 pans out.
Never presume or assume !!

Sorry, not uptight at all

But I cant understand how people dont see that SSF is being played by very young kids u6-8 only, they dont need to run alot at this very young age, and they are getting alot more touches then on a bigger pitch, therefore learning the technical aspect of football at a very young age, and not the tactical and fitness side.

My 6yo son has played "competitive" SSF games every weekend against other clubs this year, had lots of touches, scores goals just like most of his teammates do, they all come off with huge smiles on their faces and are able to still walk, and it's ALL about FUN !! No Coaches yelling "run here, do this, do that, boot it out...." etc

It is basically an organised version of park/street football or anything else you want to call it, keeps them off the tv and playstations, and SLOWLY guiding them through the early stages of this wonderful sport of ours.

Not saying we are going to produce Messi's, Ronaldinho's, Ronaldo's, but it is a fact that these players all LEARNT playing football on the streets/parks with their mates at this very same young age, and seeing our streets and parks are all full of loonies, we have had to introuce an organised version of this sort of thing.

AGE APPROPRIATE FOOTBALL and commonsense, that't all it is !!! 8)

Like Rodney said, each to their own, but some should stop bagging something that they have only seen on paper