Cahill's strike rate up there with world's best

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

TOPGUNJIMMYAUFC
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Cahill's strike rate up there with world's best

Post by TOPGUNJIMMYAUFC »

October 20, 2009 02:30pm
THE Socceroos will head to next year's World Cup boasting an attacking weapon more potent than many of world's top strikers - midfielder Tim Cahill.

Cahill's phenomenal scoring rate for his country now outshines a host of football's biggest names including Wayne Rooney, Fernando Torres, Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo.

The Everton midfielder's match-winning goal against Oman in Melbourne last week was his 19th in 36 games for the Socceroos, illustrating just how vital he has become to Australia's success in recent years.

Of the teams already qualified for South Africa 2010, only a handful boast star attackers with a better international strike rate than Cahill's return of .53 goals per game for his country.

Only Brazil's Luis Fabiano (.76), Ivory Coast and Chelsea hitman Didier Drogba (.68), North Korea's Chong Tese (.61) and Swiss ace Alexander Frei (.57) - all strikers - have a better return for their national teams than the prolific Everton midfielder.

With questions still lingering over Australia's capability in attack, Cahill is again likely to shoulder plenty of the scoring pressure in South Africa.

But given his record for scoring crucial goals in the past, it's unlikely to weigh on him too heavily.

None were more important than his two off the bench at the 2006 World Cup in Germany, when he scored Australia's first goal at the tournament and then another in an historic, come-from-behind 3-1 win over Japan.

But he's since proved time and time again for both club and country that performance was no fluke, with crucial goals on two occasions against Oman, another double against Japan, as well as braces against Qatar and Republic of Ireland.

With his 30th birthday looming in December, South Africa is almost certainly Cahill's last World Cup appearance, and could provide the platform for him to leave a legacy as one of Australia's greatest-ever players.

Some, like former Socceroos coach Rale Rasic, already rate him as this country's greatest-ever footballer, something that humbled Cahill on his recent visit to Australia.

"Of course, it is a massive compliment," Cahill said.

"Whenever I play for Australia and for Everton I always try to play to the highest level and am always finding ways to try to make myself better.

"It gets harder every game and every year because people expect more from you.

"They expect that winning goal or something different. By the same token, a massive compliment like that keeps me grounded as well."
RADIO LALASEMENO
http://www.lalasemeno.gr

this has just changed my life............above link

dont use my name..

What has 100 legs & 4 teeth? The front row of the Collingwood cheer squad

Microwave Hamster
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Cahill's strike rate up there with world's best

Post by Microwave Hamster »

Yeah whatever.
The wheel is turning but the hamster is dead

themagnet
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by themagnet »

didn't he score a ridiculous amount of goals in one game against oceania opposition a few years back. not that I want to lessen the achievement, but maybe it should be put into more perspecitve.

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

He scored a hat-trick against Fiji @ Marden.

Only 7 of his goals are against Oceania teams. Only 4 have occured in friendlies (3 games).

He has scored 3 at Howmuch.
wiki wrote:Tim Cahill: International goals Date Venue Opponent Result Result Competition Number
31 May 2004 Hindmarsh Stadium, Adelaide, Australia Tahiti Won 9-0 2006 FIFA World Cup qualification (OFC) 1
31 May 2004 Hindmarsh Stadium, Adelaide, Australia Tahiti Won 9-0 2006 FIFA World Cup qualification (OFC) 2
2 June 2004 Marden Sports Complex, Adelaide Fiji Won 6-1 2006 FIFA World Cup qualification (OFC) 3
2 June 2004 Marden Sports Complex, Adelaide Fiji Won 6-1 2006 FIFA World Cup qualification (OFC) 4
2 June 2004 Marden Sports Complex, Adelaide Fiji Won 6-1 2006 FIFA World Cup qualification (OFC) 5
6 June 2004 Hindmarsh Stadium, Adelaide Solomon Islands Draw 2-2 2006 FIFA World Cup qualification (OFC) 6
16 November 2004 Craven Cottage, London Norway Draw 2-2 Friendly 7
3 September 2005 Sydney Football Stadium, Sydney Solomon Islands Win 7-0 2006 FIFA World Cup qualification (OFC) 8
4 June 2006 Feijenoord Stadion, Rotterdam Netherlands Draw 1-1 Friendly 9
12 June 2006 Fritz Walter Stadion, Kaiserslautern, Germany Japan Won 3-1 2006 FIFA World Cup 10
12 June 2006 Fritz Walter Stadion, Kaiserslautern, Germany Japan Won 3-1 2006 FIFA World Cup 11
8 July 2007 Rajamangala National Stadium, Bangkok, Thailand Oman Draw 1-1 2007 Asian Cup 12
6 February 2008 Telstra Dome, Melbourne, Australia Qatar Won 3-0 2010 FIFA World Cup qualification - AFC Third Round 13
15 October 2008 Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane, Australia Qatar Won 4-0 2010 FIFA World Cup qualification - AFC Third Round 14
17 June 2009 MCG, Melbourne, Australia Japan Won 2-1 2010 FIFA World Cup qualification - AFC Fourth Round 15
17 June 2009 MCG, Melbourne, Australia Japan Won 2-1 2010 FIFA World Cup qualification - AFC Fourth Round 16
12 August 2009 Thomond Park, Limerick, Ireland Republic of Ireland Won 3-0 Friendly 17
12 August 2009 Thomond Park, Limerick, Ireland Republic of Ireland Won 3-0 Friendly 18
14 October 2009 Etihad Stadium, Melbourne, Australia Oman Won 1-0 2011 AFC Asian Cup qualification 19

Microwave Hamster
Apprentice
Apprentice

themagnet wrote:didn't he score a ridiculous amount of goals in one game against oceania opposition a few years back. not that I want to lessen the achievement, but maybe it should be put into more perspecitve.
I think that was Archie Thompson, who to is credit said "pfff, you can't count that" when questioned on his world record.

themagnet
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by themagnet »

Microwave Hamster wrote:
themagnet wrote:didn't he score a ridiculous amount of goals in one game against oceania opposition a few years back. not that I want to lessen the achievement, but maybe it should be put into more perspecitve.
I think that was Archie Thompson, who to is credit said "pfff, you can't count that" when questioned on his world record.
I stand corrected, maybe it is a pretty good achievement then.

soccernuts
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by soccernuts »

two in one game at the world cup,thats all i care about.

two more at 2010 world cup and i will be happy again.

Microwave Hamster
Apprentice
Apprentice

soccernuts wrote:two in one game at the world cup,thats all i care about.
I was just happy they beat Japan. It didn't matter who scored them.

astonvilla91
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by astonvilla91 »

I believe that Osea "Ozzy" Vakatalesau 36 goals in 23 matches for Fiji makes him the world's best.

Microwave Hamster
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ossie Ardilis