Speed Endurance Training

This forum is for the discussion of general coaching topics. Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

FootballNews is not responsible for any of the comments posted in this forum and this forum is moderated.

Moderator: Forum Admins

Chelsea4thewin
Star Player
Star Player

Speed Endurance Training

Post by Chelsea4thewin »

Hey guys

just wanted to know if anyone out there could help me find some new exercises for speed endurance training

i have a decent base of fitness built of but am looking at playing in the midfield this season and think i need to work on the short sharp sprinting bursts that i will require this season

the following are what i have been doing
- run throughs
- beach runs with 30m jog 30m sprint intervals
- setting up 4 cones in a big square and sprinting then jogging between each cone

these are getting a bit boring so has anyone got something new to bring to the table

Thanks in advance
Chelsea4thewin wrote: if Torres doesnt score in the next 3 games i will put a liverpool symbol as my avatar for the rest of the season

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Re: Speed Endurance Training

Post by Delete Your Account »

Stop going to things with your missus, and play a game of indoor ;)

I'll set up a PowerPoint display for you.

Chelsea4thewin
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Chelsea4thewin »

Bacon8 wrote:Stop going to things with your missus, and play a game of indoor ;)

I'll set up a PowerPoint display for you.
well every other night is taken up by football

cant play tonight going to see Arj Barker, should be a laugh
Chelsea4thewin wrote: if Torres doesnt score in the next 3 games i will put a liverpool symbol as my avatar for the rest of the season

The Random Poster
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by The Random Poster »

You would expect a comedy act to be a laugh.
Women need a reason to have sex. Men just need a place

Wild Eagle
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Wild Eagle »

Try 20 m sprints with 2 x 10m segments.

i.e. 10 m sprint in one direction, pass off the ball and sprint in an other direction and shoot (which involves slowing down, ball skills and change of pace)

Allow recovery time growing from 45 seconds up to 2 minutes in between sets of maybe 5 x 5

hope it helps

Squizzy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Squizzy »

I call it the Gas drill. Basically 3 cones placed 10m apart. Start in the middle and sprint to one end, turn and all the way to the other end (past the middle/start cone), turn and all the way through again. Once you pass the middle/start cone, that's 1. Keep going until you do 6.

The rest ratio is 1:1, so if it takes 60 secs to do 6, then rest for 60 secs.

Then do 5 and 1:1 rest. Then 4 and so on, down to 1. Do this once (from 6 down to 1) per night. Once you've done this twice (over 3 days), then when you've completed 6 down to 1 with a 1:1 rest ratio, work your way back up to 6.

If you do this in pairs, you can pass to your mate at the end cone but do this after you have already done the above without a ball.

Always sprinting.

Good luck.

If this doesn't make sense, pm me and I'll send an illustration.
Who?... Who is but a form, followed by the function of what... And what I am, is a man in a mask!

Chelsea4thewin
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Chelsea4thewin »

sounds pretty good squizzy, had an internal trial today and this is definatly the area of my game i need to work on before the season starts if i want to stay in the midfield

so is it spinting the entire way for all 6 loops of the cones with the rest period being the completion of that 6 loop then do it down to 1?

Squizzy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Squizzy »

Chelsea4thewin wrote:sounds pretty good squizzy, had an internal trial today and this is definatly the area of my game i need to work on before the season starts if i want to stay in the midfield

so is it spinting the entire way for all 6 loops of the cones with the rest period being the completion of that 6 loop then do it down to 1?
Mate, you hit the nail on the head.

It's hard work - really hard work. But definitely pays off. If it worked for me, it'll work for anyone.

Happy to discuss further. PM me for details of this and others.
Who?... Who is but a form, followed by the function of what... And what I am, is a man in a mask!

coachingsoccer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by coachingsoccer »

Another good one I have always used is the pyramid intervals. Outlines for this one:

1. Measure out 50 meters placing a cone at the start and then at 10 meter intervals (6 cones in total).

2. Starting at the first cone sprint all out for 10 meters and walk the remaining 40 meters.

3. Turn and sprint 20 meters and walk for 30 meters.

4. Turn and sprint 30 meters and walk for 20 meters.

5. Turn and sprint 40 meters and walk for 10 meters.

6. Turn and sprint 50 meters and then turn and sprint 50 meters again back to the start.

Rest for 90 seconds and repeat for a total of 4 sets (depending on how advanced you are, tweak the number accordingly).

Good luck!

Talk Is Cheap
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Talk Is Cheap »

Just a thought, but with a little bit of imagination, surely you can actually build endurance with a Ball included in drills ?
Steven C Gull

Squizzy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Squizzy »

Talk Is Cheap wrote:Just a thought, but with a little bit of imagination, surely you can actually build endurance with a Ball included in drills ?
Absolutely. However, I like to start without the ball first for 2-3 weeks (depending on my fitness or that of the players I'm coaching). You obtain far greater results faster.

But after this period, introducing a ball makes sense as you can tailor it to a position, set play (in open play), etc.

I don't believe in the, "soccer fitness with the ball" or "without the ball" statements. There's so many variables that would determine whether to use the ball or not.

Just my thoughts. My caveat, as always; I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again. :wink:

coachingsoccer
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by coachingsoccer »

Talk Is Cheap wrote:Just a thought, but with a little bit of imagination, surely you can actually build endurance with a Ball included in drills ?
Sure you can, but when starting to work on endurance, trying to build it up, I think it is better to start with drills without the ball, to give full potential and focus on it.
Adding the ball later on is a must though.