...Ghana vs Australia ............all the LATEST NEWS

This forum is for discussion related to the various Australian National Football Teams - the Socceroos, Olyroos, Joes, Matildas and so.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, Forum Admins

winzor
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: ...Ghana vs Australia ............all the LATEST NEWS

Post by winzor »

Loppermann wrote:
winzor wrote:
Loppermann wrote:in truth, Harry should have had his hands behind his back as soon as he saw the cross come in
I've never seen players guarding the goal line with their hands behind their back... don't think I've ever done that in all my years as a player- yet never made any handballs. It's more instinctive to try and stick your head in the way of a shot to block it.....
instincitve or not, you may not have the time to do it
you see most top defenders keep their hands behind their back when at all possible when they're in their own box
Rubbish... you can't run properly with your hands behind your back! :lol:

Loppermann
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Loppermann »

reflex wrote:Who killed JFK?
Graham Poll

COLOSSUS
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by COLOSSUS »

Loppermann wrote:
Dingo wrote:I spoke to a senior referee today. He said it wasnt a penalty and it should have been play on.
going by the senior referees in this country, then Rosetti made the right call
Aint that the truth :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hawkesy wrote:COLOSSUS...........Congratulations, you have won the title fair a square.

PLEASE WELCOME THE NEW WNID UP KING

COLOSSUS
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by COLOSSUS »

Franco UnAmerican wrote:If I felt the need to blab on for 5 pages I would say "Col Your tripping after reading your take on the incident" but since I couldn't be bothered I wil keep my opinin to myself.
Im tripping??? :lol: Answer this, did hit his arm??? Did it deny a goal??? was the offending arm away from the body while non offending arm stayed next to his body??? Whilst i may be tripping, a picture paints a thousand words and when looking at that picture, he is guilty as charged. Like i said, the easiest decision that Italian had to make last night, and about the only one he got right might i add :wink: :arrow:
Hawkesy wrote:COLOSSUS...........Congratulations, you have won the title fair a square.

PLEASE WELCOME THE NEW WNID UP KING

dinozoff
Star Player
Star Player

Post by dinozoff »

I understand the law and yes if the ref saw it as intentional it should be a Red but in my opinion the law should be interprited diffrently in this sittuation just like the Australian constitution is. The law doesn't go in depth enough and take into concideration an accidental hand ball that directly prohibits a goal or goal scoring opportunity. I mean let's face it we all know it was a hand ball and it deserved the penalty, but to punish a player who couldn't help commiting the infringement with a red card is ridiculous.
Dan Birdwell - You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Loppermann
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Loppermann »

dinozoff wrote:I understand the law and yes if the ref saw it as intentional it should be a Red but in my opinion the law should be interprited diffrently in this sittuation just like the Australian constitution is. The law doesn't go in depth enough and take into concideration an accidental hand ball that directly prohibits a goal or goal scoring opportunity. I mean let's face it we all know it was a hand ball and it deserved the penalty, but to punish a player who couldn't help commiting the infringement with a red card is ridiculous.
if it was accidental then it wasn't a penalty
it is not up for interpretation whether it was a red card or a yellow card, as soon as the decision is made that it was deliberate hand ball it then has to be red as well

p21c
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by p21c »

dinozoff wrote:I understand the law and yes if the ref saw it as intentional it should be a Red but in my opinion the law should be interprited diffrently in this sittuation just like the Australian constitution is. The law doesn't go in depth enough and take into concideration an accidental hand ball that directly prohibits a goal or goal scoring opportunity. I mean let's face it we all know it was a hand ball and it deserved the penalty, but to punish a player who couldn't help commiting the infringement with a red card is ridiculous.
so do you want the law changed or did you want the ref to not follow the laws of the game??

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

Was it deliberate???????

If you think it was you are tripping, end of discussion.

Dingo
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Dingo »

Kevin Rudd's reaction when he was told the referee thought it was deliberate handball.

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

COLOSSUS wrote:
Franco UnAmerican wrote:If I felt the need to blab on for 5 pages I would say "Col Your tripping after reading your take on the incident" but since I couldn't be bothered I wil keep my opinin to myself.
Im tripping??? :lol: Answer this, did hit his arm??? Did it deny a goal??? was the offending arm away from the body while non offending arm stayed next to his body??? Whilst i may be tripping, a picture paints a thousand words and when looking at that picture, he is guilty as charged. Like i said, the easiest decision that Italian had to make last night, and about the only one he got right might i add :wink: :arrow:
Sorry I thought you were sighted, obviously I was wrong.......Was it intentional!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is the Crux of this whole argument....Your other points are non de plus when this question is asked.

Sorry you fail. :arrow: Next.

Scholes
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Scholes »

If this was the World Cup of Whinging, Australia would not need to play another game, they would have already won it by a mile. Get over it!!! Aust. 0 v Serbia 2. Germany 3 v Ghana 1.

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Re: ...Ghana vs Australia ..tonite...........all the LATEST NEWS

Post by Steve#4 »

swannsong wrote:
redsfan wrote:
Porcupine wrote:Referee had no choice.
i think he did.

The Law says that a red card should be issued when a player stops an obvious goal scoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball by having the arm in an unnatural position.

i don't think he did either of those tbh.

But in the end...it's all up to the referee and his interpretation !
The hand was away from his body but not the upper arm (bicep) where there was contact !
If you think that was "Deliberate"your TRIPPING.............Tripper :wink: :arrow:

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

B.Toomer wrote:If this was the World Cup of Whinging, Australia would not need to play another game, they would have already won it by a mile. Get over it!!! Aust. 0 v Serbia 2. Germany 3 v Ghana 1.
You guys may even make it out of the group stage then :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dinozoff
Star Player
Star Player

Post by dinozoff »

koproskilo wrote:
so do you want the law changed or did you want the ref to not follow the laws of the game??
the law changed this is my whole agrument.
Dan Birdwell - You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

p21c
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by p21c »

dinozoff wrote:
koproskilo wrote:
the law changed this is my whole agrument.
interpreting the law differently and amending the law are two different things

seanason
Star Player
Star Player

Post by seanason »

Doesnt matter diddly squat what his intentions were because the ref didnt see him or where the ball struck Kewell.

He guessed. How you can guess a send off 20 minutes into a World Cup match is ridiculous.

Kitchimo
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Kitchimo »

Franco, the techincal answer to your question is in the last few lines of the second paragraph.

Any objective observer would tell you it is a clear red card/penalty. If one of the Ghanaian central defenders had done the exact same thing on the line and NOT been sent off we would be calling for blood.
http://www.oisc.com.au

Championships
A Grade: 1990, 1991, 1992, 2007, 2010
B Grade: 2001, 2007
C Grade: 2004, 2010
D Grade: 2009, 2010

Cups
A Grade: 1989
B Grade: 2002

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

That last paragraph is a contradiction of itself :?

In one instance it says it has to be deliberate then adds a proviso to cover a dodgy decision......Pftttt

So 1 sentence over rules all other sentences of the law because it proves one side of the arguement......Really now.

It isn't even clear in its definition.......

he had his eyes closed and his arms were still......Dud penalty and robbed in my opinion.

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

Kitchimo wrote:Franco, the techincal answer to your question is in the last few lines of the second paragraph.

Any objective observer would tell you it is a clear red card/penalty. If one of the Ghanaian central defenders had done the exact same thing on the line and NOT been sent off we would be calling for blood.
No doubt, but with 11 men we wouldn't have felt the need to do that because we wouldn't have been 1 man down for alot of the match.

Plenty of objective observers have called it a dud call..........Probably as many delusional people have agreed with you.

Just goes to show there needs to be a ying to the yang......However wrong they are :wink:

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Just watched a replay of the incident, Harry's arms were actually spread out wide and he was bringing them into his body (the normal process for someone moving into position and balancing or throwing out your chest to deflect a ball).....the ball struck his pectoral muscle and bicep simultaneously....
Still do not feel it was deliberate.....but I guess it is a "damned if you do...damned if you don't" call for a referee....not worthy of a game ban.
Last edited by swannsong on Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Kitchimo
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Kitchimo »

watch the replay, you can see his arm away from his body.

Championships

Cups

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

I gave you more credit than that......Silly me.

Get a ball kicked at you at that speed and see what your arms do when it hits the inside of the pec :roll:

Besides........Harry has been talked up over the years but to be able to move your arm to the trajectory of the ball......Whilst...... this is the big trick......having your eyes closed.......The boy can truly walk on water........hail the 1st comming of Harry :roll:

Give me a break...

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

Kitchimo wrote:watch the replay, you can see his arm away from his body.
I just explained what I saw...try moving along a goal line without using your arms for momentum or balance !
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

Kitchimo
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Kitchimo »

Franco UnAmerican wrote:

Get a ball kicked at you at that speed and see what your arms do when it hits the inside of the pec :roll:

Besides........Harry has been talked up over the years but to be able to move your arm to the trajectory of the ball......Whilst...... this is the big trick......having your eyes closed.......The boy can truly walk on water........hail the 1st comming of Harry :roll:

Give me a break...
His arm should have been next to his body.

Championships

Cups

Loppermann
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Loppermann »

swannsong wrote:Just watched a replay of the incident, Harry's arms were actually spread out wide and he was bringing them into his body (the normal process for someone moving into position and balancing or throwing out your chest to deflect a ball).....the ball struck his pectoral muscle and bicep simultaneously....
Still do not feel it was deliberate.....but I guess it is a "damned if you do...damned if you don't" call for a referee....not worthy of a game ban.
agreed, but them's the rules and the ref has to send him off
more a problem with the laws than the ref

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

The ref doesn't have to do jack squat....He should have seen it for what it was(he was close enough) and called play on.

To kitch.....Couldn't give a rats where his arms were......IT.......WAS......NOT......DELIBERATE... :wink:
Last edited by Steve#4 on Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

p21c
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by p21c »

attn: kitchimo and collosus

if a player has his back to play with his arms at right angles to his body and the ball hits his fore arm, is that deliberate handball ??

Porcupine
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Porcupine »

Simple solution - don't handle the ball. And I agree with Kitch:
Kitchimo wrote:If one of the Ghanaian central defenders had done the exact same thing on the line and NOT been sent off we would be calling for blood.
Pining for the pork of the porcupine

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Loppermann wrote:
swannsong wrote:Just watched a replay of the incident, Harry's arms were actually spread out wide and he was bringing them into his body (the normal process for someone moving into position and balancing or throwing out your chest to deflect a ball).....the ball struck his pectoral muscle and bicep simultaneously....
agreed, but them's the rules and the ref has to send him off
more a problem with the laws than the ref
If it wasnt deliberate then it wasnt a penalty and it wasnt a red card - them's the rules!!!

more of a problem with the referee than the rules.

We are dancing in circles here :D

There are at least three issues here:

1) Was Harry's actions deliberate or was it not. Opinion is divided on this point.
2) The interpretation of what is deliberate handball under the rules of the game. This has been an area of debate in football for a long time. It is an area of a lot of inconsistency between different referees and it is also an area where there is commonly a difference of understanding between footballers and referees.
3) The rules themselves producing unjust outcomes - this is why the rules where changed to increase the offense for a deliberate handball in a goalscoring situation from yellow to red a few years ago to counter players acting as second goalkeepers. The unjust outcomes is also the reason they are now considering downgrading the offense from red to yellow - due to the so called triple punishment for one offense - penalty, red card & one game suspension.

Its an interesting debate.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Kitchimo wrote:
Franco UnAmerican wrote:

Give me a break...
His arm should have been next to his body.
And his arm was next to his body when the ball struck.
Colossus, if that is the clearest penalty you have seen, then I can only imagine that you have only seen less than about 10 games in your life (which I know is not the case, so another case of talking absolute shite). The mere fact this has already 6 pages of debate indicates this to be bollocks, but much like many of your "arguments" its either black or white - you rarely can see the grey areas.
Anyway, game over, nothing can be done about it now, just worry about beating Serbia. At least Cahill is back.
Ignore this signature