Chelsea 6 West Bromwich Albion 0

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

R. King
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Chelsea 6 West Bromwich Albion 0

Post by R. King »

Scorer: Malouda (5, 90)
Scorer: Drogba (45, 55, 67)
Scorer: Lampard (62)
Attendance: 41,589 FT (19:23)

Double winners Chelsea fired an early warning to their Barclays Premier League title rivals as Didier Drogba smashed a hat-trick in their opening-day thrashing of new boys West Bromwich Albion at Stamford Bridge.

Florent Malouda set the Blues on their way after only six minutes, with Drogba's free-kick extending the lead on the stroke of half-time.

It was more one-way traffic after the restart, as the Ivory Coast striker netted from close range with Frank Lampard making it 4-0 just after the hour.

Drogba's deflected effort and a last-minute strike from Malouda sealed an emphatic win for the champions, who put last week's 3-1 defeat by Manchester United in the Community Shield at Wembley firmly behind them.

Despite being outplayed, West Brom and their manager Roberto Di Matteo, the former Chelsea midfielder, deserve credit for continuing to display some good passing football, but which tellingly lacked a cutting edge in the final third.

Chelsea had got off to a flying start when they took the lead after only six minutes. Malouda was tripped by Pablo Ibanez on the edge of the West Brom box.

Keeper Scott Carson spilled Drogba's free-kick straight to John Obi Mikel, whose follow-up effort was blocked. The ball then dropped straight to Malouda, who could not miss.

The champions were in full flow, with Ashley Cole whipping a low ball across the six-yard box after another surge down the left.

TOUCH AWAY
However, the conditions worsened, and fit again Chelsea keeper Petr Cech had to be at full stretch to touch away Graham Dorrans' deflected effort.

The visitors, who finished second behind Newcastle United in the Championship last season, continued to try to take the match to Chelsea, putting together some promising passing moves.

Czech striker Roman Bednar smashed a fine finish into the roof of the Chelsea net on 18 minutes, but the offside flag had already gone up for what looked a marginal decision.

After a drop in tempo, Chelsea slowly started to find their rhythm again.

Gabriel Tamas fouled Drogba, giving Chelsea another chance to deliver a ball into the West Brom box.

Lampard struck his 20-yard shot well and Carson parried, but this time Malouda could not keep his follow-up on target as he sent a looping header over.

It was, though, 2-0 just before the break. Youssouf Mulumbu tripped Michael Essien and this time Drogba smashed his free-kick through the wall and into the bottom corner.

The conditions improved for the second half, allowing both teams to pass the ball quickly.

LATE CONSOLATION
On 53 minutes, Scotland midfielder Dorrans chipped a free-kick over the wall, but the ball dropped onto the top of the net.

Chelsea then moved 3-0 ahead when Drogba bundled in his second.

John Terry flicked Malouda's inswinging corner goalwards and Mulumbu hacked it off the line, but the ball was not cleared and Drogba, who won the Golden Boot with 29 goals last season, was alert to smash it in from close range.

Lampard walked in a fourth on 63 minutes after a clever exchange between Nicolas Anelka and Cole down the left.

The England midfielder, who had been carrying a slight ankle problem, was then replaced by Yossi Benayoun, as the Israeli made his debut following a summer move from Liverpool.

On 68 minutes, Drogba completed his hat-trick with a 20-yard effort which cannoned off Tamas and flew into the bottom corner past a wrong-footed Carson.

The Ivory Coast striker was then given a well-deserved break when he was replaced by countryman Salomon Kalou.

Chelsea always looked likely to score again and they grabbed a sixth in the final minute when Malouda collected a pass from Anelka before eluding Carson and shooting into the net off the post.

Man of the Match
Didier Drogba
(Chelsea)
The Barclays Golden Boot winner began the season in style with a hat-trick.

Not a bad start to the new campaign, that would make it 13 goals in the last 2 league games to boot and 2 consecutive hat tricks to DD.

R. King
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: Chelsea 6 West Bromwich Albion 0

Post by R. King »

REACTION: WE DID OUR JOB Posted on: Sat 14 Aug 2010

It was our biggest opening day win in the top flight and Carlo Ancelotti was obviously pleased, especially with his three front men.

Frank Lampard found the net once, adding to a Florent Malouda brace, but it was a Didier Drogba hat-trick which stole the show and wiped away the cobwebs of a slow pre-season.

'Didier did a fantastic job,' praised the Italian, 'not just because he scored but he worked for the team very hard, as did [Nicolas] Anelka and Malouda. They all worked very hard defensively.

'That is the mentality of our strikers, they are working for the team and it was a good start, we wanted to win because we had a difficult pre-season.

'We played a good game, we showed good football, scored a lot of goals and there are a lot of good things to come from this game.

'We started the first half well, kept a high tempo on the pitch, but it wasn't our game until the second goal. Then it was easier for us because there was more space up front and we had a lot of possibility to score.'

It was a strong contrast to our pre-season fixtures, where we suffered from a lack of fitness in the side.

'We knew we had a problem [in pre-season],' added Ancelotti. 'We decided to give our players who played in the World Cup another six days of holiday.

'It was necessary for them to have a full recovery and we knew the first game of the pre-season we couldn't play them.

'Also [Petr] Cech, Alex, Drogba, [Michael] Essien, all had problems during pre-season but they are all very close to their best condition now.

'John Terry, Ashley Cole and Frank Lampard also showed good condition today.

'Maybe they are still not in the best condition but they have time now to arrive in the best condition.

'Now the squad is complete. Ashley Cole, Frank Lampard and John Terry can still improve their condition. In two weeks they will be 100 per cent.'

But despite the truly emphatic win, and a perfect start to the season as we ended the day top of the Barclays Premier League, the forever modest manager was keen to play down the result.

'We did our job, nothing special,' explained Ancelotti. 'This team can show this kind of play, can score a lot of goals and this is our job.'

Meanwhile, former Chelsea star Roberto Di Matteo's return to the Bridge was not a very ceremonious affair for the Blues legend.

'Playing the champions away for the first game of the season, you know it is going to be a tough game,' said Di Matteo, who scored three goals in three cup finals for Chelsea.

'There aren't many teams who come away winners from Stamford Bridge.

'You can see why they are champions; they are strong in every department. They are very good and it is very difficult to play against them.

'Now we have to learn very quickly and we have to improve very quickly as well. On the upside we won't be playing Chelsea every week!'

Finally, with the arrival of Ramires to the Chelsea ranks yesterday, Ancelotti revealed when fans can expect to see the Brazilian in a blue shirt.

'Ramires will train from the start of next week and he will be able to play the next game,' said Ancelotti.

R. King
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by R. King »

I know it's from last season but I'd thought I'd start the 'lets hate Chelsea mood' early this season so just doing my bit to start you all off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaCQ9Bf5BjU

Litmanen
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Litmanen »

At the top, where we should be!

PhilDunphy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by PhilDunphy »

why did west brom bother showing up :lol:

Loppermann
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Loppermann »

t9rres wrote:why did west brom bother showing up :lol:
Wigan vs Chelsea could be hilarious this season
triple figures

takeonthekeeper
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by takeonthekeeper »

Chelsea For the title !!!!

and didnt you ever learn not to put the score in the topic title :roll:
"My Legs Sort Of Dissapered From Nowhere"

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

takeonthekeeper wrote:Chelsea For the title !!!!

and didnt you ever learn not to put the score in the topic title :roll:
Bodø is that really you?
Time for some righteous indignation

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Awesome display by Chelsea but WBA were terrible.

Chelsea4thewin
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Chelsea4thewin »

they had glimpses after the first goal

the second goal just before half time killed their self belief
Chelsea4thewin wrote: if Torres doesnt score in the next 3 games i will put a liverpool symbol as my avatar for the rest of the season

R. King
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by R. King »

takeonthekeeper wrote:Chelsea For the title !!!!

and didn't you ever learn not to put the score in the topic title :roll:
Honestly, apart from us Chelsea boys, who would read a heading that just said 'Chelsea West Bromwich Albion'. If you hadn't heard the scores before coming on line you aren't really interested.

Red-4-Life
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Red-4-Life »

chelsea are gonna be VERY hard to beat this season

takeonthekeeper
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by takeonthekeeper »

Well, i know that i have been told scores while i am waiting to get home and watch the match. and i check all of the scores from the teams and sometimes i don't hear the scores before i come on line, but it has nothing to do with not being interested. More restrictions on videos where i am at the time :wink:

And no i am not Bodø. takeonthekeeper i am
"My Legs Sort Of Dissapered From Nowhere"