Adam - Photos

Forum for the discussion of music, video and photography related topics

Moderators: adam, Forum Admins

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Adam - Photos

Post by admin »

Adam, the sharpness of your images has gone to a new level. Your shots are pin sharp. So what has been the key for increasing the sharpness of your images? Is it better glass?, better camera?, improved technique or all of these?

You are achieving very impressive sharpness in your images.

adam
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Adam - Photos

Post by adam »

thanks very much for the feedback admin... really appreciate it.

anyway i think it is a combination... i am using a Canon 1Dmkiv - but this really only is better in what i already had when shooting in low light, for normal saturday arvo shots i don't think it is really worth the extra money over the 50D, 60D or the 7D.

the two lenses i use for football are:
Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM
Sigma 100-300mm F4 EX DG APO HSM

it depends on conditions and ground on which one i use... so that comes back to technique i guess. Overall the Canon takes better photos.... but the Sigma is more versatile. I have been using the Sigma at Hindmarsh for the AU games and finding that with the higher ISO capabilities of the 1DKmkiv that f4 is satisfactory. The Sigma does struggle a bit in harsh light, especially when the sun is not behind me.

I think I have improved technique with the camera settings (ISO, f-stop and shutter speed) and hence am getting the best out of the Camera & Lens combinations (always learning)... but i think i have also improved in post processing and getting the best out of an image. I am using lightroom initially, then photoshop if needed and finally irfanview for final resize and sharpening. The resize and sharpening could be done in either Lightroom or Photoshop, but i just prefer the end result from IrfanView, which is really weird. I have had some feedback that i over-sharpen... but i think that comes back to personal preference on what look and feel you prefer.

i am finding that 300mm is not really long enough for some grounds and am currently looking at the Sigma 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM.
I know that the 50-500mm is a huge range, but i'm reading some nice reviews on the lens, and I am thinking that it would be "satisfactory" for the Saturday arvo stuff. The other option is the Canon 100-400L, which i previously owned, but i definitely prefer the Sigma 100-300mm f4 EX DG APO HSM to that lens. The only real benefit of the Canon 100-400 is the push-pull focus, which for sport is a lot quicker than a rotating focus ring.

The other lens that I have my eye on is the Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM. The reviews on this will be interesting.

Most pros who shoot Canon seem to have the Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L on one body and a Canon EF 400mm F2.8L on on another body, but that's around $20,000 worth of equipment (camera and lenses).

some websites you might be interested in for reviews:
http://www.lensrentals.com/for-canon
http://www.juzaphoto.com/eng/articles.htm

also - my website is back - http://www.80kms.com/

and finally for somebody starting out in the DSLR world i would still recommend Nikon at the moment.