Blatter moves the goal-posts (timing of World Cup)

The forum is for discussion of club football outside Australia and national team football Please do not post any offensive or malicious comments.

Moderators: BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Judge Judy, Forum Admins

BTAC
Team Manager
Team Manager

Re: Blatter moves the goal-posts (timing of World Cup)

Post by BTAC »

Die Toten Hosen wrote:
JovaBonito wrote:But there is. Any possible changes in the timing of the WC due to the host should have been discussed and agreed upon by all involved prior to the host being announced.
If fifa have written rules that state the world cup must be played in june you may have a point, but I don't think they do.
Regardless of written rules, it is common courtesy. It's like before the host was announced, and Australia was in contention, all the possible effects of hosting the WC were discussed with the higher ups of AFL. If FIFA decided to change the time of the WC now, causing it to interfere with the majour European leagues, it would be the equivalent of Australia being chosen to host the WC and then alerting AFL, 'Oh btw, this is totally gonna shiraz up your season'.

For me, they need to keep the timing the same as always. If they think it's gonna be too hot, well tough luck. They chose Qatar, they can put up with the multiple problems that come with that choice. The majour European leagues shouldn't have to suffer because FIFA are a corrupt bunch of champagne.
haywood djablowme wrote: I believe Arsenal have improved more than the Poo! (we are only 5 pts behind you)

Punks Not Dead
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Punks Not Dead »

JovaBonito wrote:The majour European leagues shouldn't expect everything to revolve around them
Edited for accuracy. :wink:

Hawkseys Double
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Hawkseys Double »

Good call Jovo. History says that June-July is World Cup time! If the World Cup truly needed to be changed, it should have been discussed earlier. The money and time that this decision may cost is going to be devastating.

Hawkseys Double
Club Captain
Club Captain

Die Toten Hosen wrote:
JovaBonito wrote:But there is. Any possible changes in the timing of the WC due to the host should have been discussed and agreed upon by all involved prior to the host being announced.
If fifa have written rules that state the world cup must be played in june you may have a point, but I don't think they do.
And history accounts for nothing?

Punks Not Dead
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Punks Not Dead »

Yids wrote:And history accounts for nothing?
1930 held in july
1934 kicked off in may
1966 held in july

History shows it hasn't always kicked off on the same date.

Hawkseys Double
Club Captain
Club Captain

Die Toten Hosen wrote:
1930 held in july
1934 kicked off in may
1966 held in july

History shows it hasn't always kicked off on the same date.
Ok. But still kicked off after most major competitions?

Punks Not Dead
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Punks Not Dead »

No, the Norwegian league has taken a break to cater for it.

BTAC
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by BTAC »

Die Toten Hosen wrote:No, the Norwegian league has taken a break to cater for it.
Oh I concede defeat. :wink: :lol:
haywood djablowme wrote: I believe Arsenal have improved more than the Poo! (we are only 5 pts behind you)

Hawkseys Double
Club Captain
Club Captain

Die Toten Hosen wrote:No, the Norwegian league has taken a break to cater for it.
-___-

Yep. Much bigger than Spain, Germany, England etc... :roll:

Punks Not Dead
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Punks Not Dead »

Size shouldn't be relevant in a tournament that is supposedly for everyone.

Hawkseys Double
Club Captain
Club Captain

Die Toten Hosen wrote:Size shouldn't be relevant in a tournament that is supposedly for everyone.
Some leagues have more teams than others. So size would be relevant in a way.

Hawkseys Double
Club Captain
Club Captain

A quick question. What league, if any plays during the world cup.

Punks Not Dead
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Punks Not Dead »

Yids wrote:A quick question. What league, if any plays during the world cup.
Even a quick question deserves a question mark. Those leagues that usually run at that time of year work around the world cup when if comes about, which is my point, if they can do it there's no reason why others can't.

Here's next year's Norwegian fixtures with matches all through may, june, july and august. They'll make a breat for Euro 2012 and the 2014 world cup. If they can manage it every four years I am sure others can do it too.

Hawkseys Double
Club Captain
Club Captain

Die Toten Hosen wrote:
Even a quick question deserves a question mark. Those leagues that usually run at that time of year work around the world cup when if comes about, which is my point, if they can do it there's no reason why others can't.

Here's next year's Norwegian fixtures with matches all through may, june, july and august. They'll make a breat for Euro 2012 and the 2014 world cup. If they can manage it every four years I am sure others can do it too.
Big on grammer eh? I'll make a mental note.

Now think of those leagues that don't stop or have a break. Think of the revenue those leagues would lose for having a break. Also, what if a team was on a good patch of form, they encountered the 1-2 month break? They world cup accommodates the majority of leagues. So the World Cup should continue to suit the needs of the many.

BTAC
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by BTAC »

Die Toten Hosen wrote:

But why should they have to? Why should a number of the bigger European leagues have to suffer because of FIFA's stupidity?

The Norwegian league is obviously already aware that they need to adjust their season every four years and have accepted that and planned for it. The BPL, La Liga, etc. have not agreed to this and shouldn't be forced to.

You keep saying that size shouldn't matter in terms of the league and their disruption. I couldn't disagree more. There is a much larger fan base in these leagues and a lot more money involved. A month long disruption would have a much greater effect on the BPL for instance, than the Norwegian league.

Punks Not Dead
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Punks Not Dead »

It's supposedly the world game and different parts of the world have different climates. If you want to have your game open to everyone and play in different parts of the world you have to accept that it would be better to play in different parts of the year. I don't think that Qatar should have been chosen for other reasons, but making adjustments for climate shouldn't be one of them.

On a side note the Norwegian season is adjusted every two years to cater for Euro Nations Cup as well. Your argument that the Norwegian league is obviously already aware that they need to adjust their season every four years and have accepted that and planned for it could also be turned on it's head and using the same logic that should a world cup be scheduled for january then your so called leagues would also be "obviously already aware that they need to adjust their season" for that year.

Hawkseys Double
Club Captain
Club Captain

Die Toten Hosen wrote:It's supposedly the world game and different parts of the world have different climates. If you want to have your game open to everyone and play in different parts of the world you have to accept that it would be better to play in different parts of the year. I don't think that Qatar should have been chosen for other reasons, but making adjustments for climate shouldn't be one of them.

On a side note the Norwegian season is adjusted every two years to cater for Euro Nations Cup as well. Your argument that the Norwegian league is obviously already aware that they need to adjust their season every four years and have accepted that and planned for it could also be turned on it's head and using the same logic that should a world cup be scheduled for january then your so called leagues would also be "obviously already aware that they need to adjust their season" for that year.
Still, the fact remains that this should have been discussed before the selection. Some voters may have changed their minds. It's not fair to withhold information that may affect the vote.

Punks Not Dead
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Punks Not Dead »

If there are no rules to say the tournament is to be played in june then it is wrong to assume it will. Voters ought to have looked at climate and the like before casting their vote.

Hawkseys Double
Club Captain
Club Captain

Die Toten Hosen wrote:If there are no rules to say the tournament is to be played in june then it is wrong to assume it will. Voters ought to have looked at climate and the like before casting their vote.
Since 66 (I think) as you pointed out it has. It would be nice to be notified of a change after existing on the same date for decades.

BTAC
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by BTAC »

Die Toten Hosen wrote:It's supposedly the world game and different parts of the world have different climates. If you want to have your game open to everyone and play in different parts of the world you have to accept that it would be better to play in different parts of the year. I don't think that Qatar should have been chosen for other reasons, but making adjustments for climate shouldn't be one of them.

Alright, so the planning ahead argument goes out the window. Well played. Although I still don't think that such a huge disruption can be completely planned for in such big leagues. It would certainly be much more difficult to accomodate a one month break in England than in Norway.

If it wasn't for the disruption that moving the WC would cause in the majour European leagues, I'd agree with you about climate not being an issue. Because of how much it will effect a number of different leagues though, it should be a majour contributing factor in who gets to host the WC. You can't disagree that the effects will much greater on the BPL, La Liga and etc. than, for instance..the Norwegian League.

Hawkseys Double
Club Captain
Club Captain

JovaBonito wrote:

Alright, so the planning ahead argument goes out the window. Well played. Although I still don't think that such a huge disruption can be completely planned for in such big leagues. It would certainly be much more difficult to accomodate a one month break in England than in Norway.

If it wasn't for the disruption that moving the WC would cause in the majour European leagues, I'd agree with you about climate not being an issue. Because of how much it will effect a number of different leagues though, it should be a majour contributing factor in who gets to host the WC. You can't disagree that the effects will much greater on the BPL, La Liga and etc. than, for instance..the Norwegian League.

To back Jova's comment. How many leagues in England need to be postponed compared to those in Norway?

Costanza Philosophy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Costanza Philosophy »

I agree. We should go back to the time when England didn't play in the world cup.
George Louis Costanza Philosophy: Different pipes go to different places!

Punks Not Dead
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Punks Not Dead »

Yids wrote:To back Jova's comment. How many leagues in England need to be postponed compared to those in Norway?
Two (epl and the championship).

Hawkseys Double
Club Captain
Club Captain

Costanza Philosophy wrote:
I agree. We should go back to the time when England didn't play in the world cup.
:lol: :roll:

Hawkseys Double
Club Captain
Club Captain

Die Toten Hosen wrote:
Yids wrote:To back Jova's comment. How many leagues in England need to be postponed compared to those in Norway?
Two (epl and the championship).
How are you so sure?

Punks Not Dead
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Punks Not Dead »

League one and two go ahead when there are qualifiers being played.

Hawkseys Double
Club Captain
Club Captain

Fair call. Still. At least 10 major leagues will be interrupted.

Punks Not Dead
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Punks Not Dead »

It doesn't matter when you do it some leagues somewhere will be interrupted.

BTAC
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by BTAC »

Die Toten Hosen wrote:It doesn't matter when you do it some leagues somewhere will be interrupted.
Of course, but that's not the issue and you know it. The issue is the scale of the disruption and which leagues will be more greatly affected. Without question, the usual disruption of the Norwegian league is ideal, especially when the alternative is a months break in two of the largest leagues in the world.

Punks Not Dead
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Punks Not Dead »

JovaBonito wrote:but that's not the issue and you know it
The issue is if you want something for all parts of the world you should be prepared to cater for it, not expect everyone to do it your way.