ffsa/trial games

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

the barbarian
Apprentice
Apprentice

ffsa/trial games

Post by the barbarian »

heard that Adelaide city asked ffsa to sanction trial games for the weekend of the 5th/6th which involved 3 clubs and SASI, shortened games over 2 days in a round robin format.

For some reason only know to themselves they refused the request?? Anyone know why?

Also heard from a parent of one of the U12 development squad that they have been sent letters asking the girls in the squad to continue to train 3 times a week and that they did not want them to play club soccer?? if this is the case where are the girls to play? 12 yr olds want to play not just train.

southern
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: ffsa/trial games

Post by southern »

I heard that the U12 parents (most of them anyway) are spewing for the way FFSA has handled things. Not too sure what happened, but they are very upset but most don't want to approach FFSA as they think that this will affect their daughters. What a situation!

Again, it seems that FFSA is making a bad reputation for itself in the women's game.

Nothing new really.

southern
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by southern »

the barbarian wrote:heard that Adelaide city asked ffsa to sanction trial games for the weekend of the 5th/6th which involved 3 clubs and SASI, shortened games over 2 days in a round robin format.

For some reason only know to themselves they refused the request?? Anyone know why?

Also heard from a parent of one of the U12 development squad that they have been sent letters asking the girls in the squad to continue to train 3 times a week and that they did not want them to play club soccer?? if this is the case where are the girls to play? 12 yr olds want to play not just train.
Can they actually do it? Do you mean that FFSA don't want these clubs/SASI to play trial games? :shock: Why would that be???

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

With the U13's (now) what seem to be the issues that parents are unhappy with? Was there something else in addition to the issue raised by Barbarian that a parent has said to him that it's her understanding that FFSA doesn't want the girls to play with their clubs (which I find a bit hard to believe this early on- closer to the tournament in April, maybe, to rest and avoid injury, but not in February)- it seemed like an advantage to continue the STIC teams as training squads through the off season and the summer- a great opportunity for them to learn a lot. What's changed? Could it be parents who are wary of having their young girls focus so intensely on one sport at what they think is too young an age?

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by johnydep »

the barbarian wrote: ........... heard from a parent of one of the U12 development squad that they have been sent letters asking the girls in the squad to continue to train 3 times a week and that they did not want them to play club soccer?? if this is the case where are the girls to play? 12 yr olds want to play not just train.
Not sure if it's the same squad or if I'm misunderstanding your statement; my daughter is involved with the U13 State squad and last correspondence we received about playing is that they must be playing in club football, and that the State training will try stay clear of disrupting the players club sessions.

Training is Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday.

Easy Tiger
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Easy Tiger »

Sat 12/2 @ SASI:
SASI girls' vs Metro United.
Will be a cracker!

the barbarian
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by the barbarian »

I Believe it was the girls U12 Development squad, who were asked not to play club games but train 3 times a week. U13's have not been advised as they are still picking the State squad. Can any U12 development squad parents varify if this is correct?

Also It is true that ffsa would not sanction the round robin trial games that the 3 clubs plus SASI wanted to play on the weekend of the 5th/6th march. AC put in the request for games to be sanctioned and ffsa refused to sanction them? Only ffsa know why?

batumgoesthedynamite
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by batumgoesthedynamite »

the barbarian wrote:I Believe it was the girls U12 Development squad, who were asked not to play club games but train 3 times a week. U13's have not been advised as they are still picking the State squad. Can any U12 development squad parents varify if this is correct?

Also It is true that ffsa would not sanction the round robin trial games that the 3 clubs plus SASI wanted to play on the weekend of the 5th/6th march. AC put in the request for games to be sanctioned and ffsa refused to sanction them? Only ffsa know why?
shutup about the tournament.
speak to someone at the ffsa.
grow up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by The General »

pinkyellowblue wrote:
the barbarian wrote:I Believe it was the girls U12 Development squad, who were asked not to play club games but train 3 times a week. U13's have not been advised as they are still picking the State squad. Can any U12 development squad parents varify if this is correct?

shutup about the tournament.
speak to someone at the ffsa.
grow up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Amen, +1.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

As per usual the FFSA women's state teams are causing problems for clubs.

Unless your daughter plays for one of their favoured teams she has no hope of ever getting anywhere in SA.

This attitude has been going on for over 20 years and, unless there is a major clear out of the administration and coaching/selection process, SA will continue to be the laughing stock of Australian Women's Football.

A huge number of girls have given up the sport over the years due to the attitudes of those running the game in this state and many clubs have given up trying to get anywhere.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Unretired
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Unretired »

Did you actually ask the coach why she did not get in????

Maybe a few pointers as how she can improve to get into the squad??

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Old Master wrote:As per usual the FFSA women's state teams are causing problems for clubs.

Unless your daughter plays for one of their favoured teams she has no hope of ever getting anywhere in SA.

This attitude has been going on for over 20 years and, unless there is a major clear out of the administration and coaching/selection process, SA will continue to be the laughing stock of Australian Women's Football.

A huge number of girls have given up the sport over the years due to the attitudes of those running the game in this state and many clubs have given up trying to get anywhere.
Thats a pretty poor excuse and if thats really the reason you give up the game then Im pretty sure you dont have the drive to play at a higher level anyway.

I wasnt selected in a state team untill I was 21 and didnt actually play my first state game untill I was 30, Ive had to deal with politics on my way through that have forced me to change clubs but I wouldnt trade any of it for what I have got from the game.

Do I agree with everything the FFSA does? NO but I cant change it so I just get on with it.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

That's the attitude that has allowed the situation to get to this state.

It is only by speaking out loudly and often that change can be forced upon those holding power.

Unfortunately, Australians are too soft, in general, and just let things go to avoid trouble.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Old Master wrote:That's the attitude that has allowed the situation to get to this state.

It is only by speaking out loudly and often that change can be forced upon those holding power.

Unfortunately, Australians are too soft, in general, and just let things go to avoid trouble.
If I wanted to change something I would work for the FFSA but Im a player so I concentrate on playing.

Ginger
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Ginger »

Unfortunately not everyone wants to wait until they are 30 to be selected. I have seen many good players leave soccer and play other sports (hockey, basketball, golf) where they feel the selection system is less biased. This does not mean that they lack commitment, only that they can see there is no point wasting their best playing years fighting the system. Those who have fought the system have often found that it negatively impacted on their selection potential.

I have no idea how to fix things - leaving is not a solution for soccer; fighting decreases selection potential; working for FFSA is next to impossible when you are a junior; parents are too scared to complain or they are seen as a problem themselves.

To make matters worse, the girls put in lots of training/playing hours, the parents pay lots of money, the kids give up other sports/interests in the pursuit of womens soccer, but there is no real career path, and certainly no money for girls. When faced with that future, why would you wait until 30 to make a team when you can play basketball or golf and possibly earn a living?

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Ginger wrote:Unfortunately not everyone wants to wait until they are 30 to be selected. I have seen many good players leave soccer and play other sports (hockey, basketball, golf) where they feel the selection system is less biased. This does not mean that they lack commitment, only that they can see there is no point wasting their best playing years fighting the system. Those who have fought the system have often found that it negatively impacted on their selection potential.

I have no idea how to fix things - leaving is not a solution for soccer; fighting decreases selection potential; working for FFSA is next to impossible when you are a junior; parents are too scared to complain or they are seen as a problem themselves.

To make matters worse, the girls put in lots of training/playing hours, the parents pay lots of money, the kids give up other sports/interests in the pursuit of womens soccer, but there is no real career path, and certainly no money for girls. When faced with that future, why would you wait until 30 to make a team when you can play basketball or golf and possibly earn a living?
I certainly didnt just wait, I chased different avenues, some worked some didnt, I just couldnt see myself packing up and not playing a game I love because of politics.

I believe players should just worry about playing for their club instead of worrying about state teams.

pvfc
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by pvfc »

Seriously, this old argument comes up year after year.....
The reality is that there will always be some people who perceive bias in State selections etc. The state teams are selected by a small number of people (different people over the years) who will have their own ideas on what they deem to be a good player with the right attributes and attitude. For this reason alone we will never have EVERYONE agree that a given State team is the best team we could put together - and hence there will always be the perception of bias from some people.
You will never get the perfect scenario, there will always be a core group of gifted players (who some people may believe there is bias towards) and there will also always be those 'fringe players' who may or may not make it depending on who is selecting/coaching.
Regardless, the majority of 'stand out' players who are actually interested in participating in these teams will get identified at some point if they keep trying.

A comment made by Paul Merson sums it all up really - concentrate on playing for your club!
Enjoy your football there and develop your game & skills, then when it comes to state trials your efforts will speak for themselves. If you dont make the state teams at least you will have had fun playing the best game in the world in the meantime!

courtz
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by courtz »

Old Master wrote:As per usual the FFSA women's state teams are causing problems for clubs.

load of crap. i made my first state team when playing for a div 2 side. i didnt even know there were state teams etc until the ad for trials came out. and i knwo i am not the only one in this basket. girls playing in local boys junior leagues get spotted and brought over to the womens league etc for state stuff...
that comment is v inaccurate and it seems someone has possibly upset you by not selecting your daughter or something.

Easy Tiger
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Easy Tiger »

I don't think that too many ppl think state selection is biased etc, but definitely most ppl you talk to will tell you their impression is FFSA are a bunch of clowns who don't give a s#ite about women's football.

And it's true that parents are scared to complain because they perceive it will jeopardize their daugthers' possibilities to make a team. FFSA are and have been making all the wrong decisions for the women's game...and the ones in charge (the big technical director?? :lol: ) obviously can't get a system to work even if they pretend to be doing all these great changes. They just talk a lot of crap and nobody trusts them.

I heard a few clubs are losing juniors and the clubs FFSA say are gonna be in the Prems will not be in it in the end (Gawler). Wonder what the excuses will be when again their plans will turn to s#it just like last year. Last year it was Campbelltown, this year it will be Gawler. They will fail with state, fail with A.United, fail with the Prem League and still blame the clubs. But isn't it at the clubs that the girls should spend most of their time as players...So why don't FFSA start working with the clubs instead of always interefering and making it hard for everyone?

When they will understand that to develop the game you have to develop the clubs it will always be too late.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

The problem with selection is that they make strict rules regarding attendance at trials and training, involvement in fund raising, team work, fitness levels and then at the last minute bring in someone who has not met the criteria.

They've done this consistently over the last 15 years.

They are a bunch of :clown: :clown: :clown:

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details