State League 2011

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

bigstateleaguefan
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

State League 2011

Post by bigstateleaguefan »

I’ve looked around these posts for a while now, and with nothing to do this weekend football-wise and being a bit saddened by the lack of State league talk on this forum I just wanted to start a thread with my thoughts and views on the league and teams this year.

I think we are shaping up to have the closest and most competitive league yet in the second tier of elite competition, and it is also really pleasing to see a few girls who are fringe/reserves players at Premier League clubs make the tough decision to try their luck in the state league, hopefully it’s the start of a new trend.

Adelaide Hills-
Big improvers last season, and have only added in strength with the Glen girls from Cumberland making the move to Woodside. Hills also secured a big coup in getting Steve Maxwell (ex-socceroo and NSL player) to coach the girls, to build on the excellent work that Roy Mather put in last season. Woodside is always a tough place to travel to and I expect them to pick up a lot of good results at home, but they are still a very young side and judging by some of their results so far their away form could hurt them.

Key Players- Tiffany Vears and Lauren Mather were standouts last season and should be looking to build on that.

Adelaide Uni-
Big changes at Uni, Kevin has been replaced by Tracey Jenkins who coached their Under 15/17 side last season. She has a big reputation in women’s football and anyone who saw her side last season play will know why. Another club that has secured some players from premier league clubs with a few fringe Olympic players making the move. Tracey has unsurprisingly pulled up a few of the girls from her side last year (many of whom are in the SASI squad), and pulled in a few good youngsters from Cumberland, but I feel in the end their youth will balance out their undeniable quality. Too many of their players last season simply weren’t good enough, and the step up to seniors for the younger ones is a large one. I expect them to struggle for the first part of the season, but come good towards the end once they adapt.

Key Players – Donna and Chrissa from Olympic and Laura Johns from SASI their experience is crucial to guiding the young players.

Campbelltown-
Very much a rebuilding season for Campbelltown. They have a lot of good youngsters in their 15s this season, and I feel it is a bit of a case of marking time until they come of age. A lot of their older players are very ordinary and I expect them to continue to struggle. Pleasingly though at the recent game of the month, they tried to play the ball around particularly out from the back, and some of the kids showed some nice touches, if they can hang on to these girls for a few seasons they could be a force again.

Key Player – Brooke Dayman she has a lot of class and a lot of experience and will be key to the development of the younger girls. Also a lot of respect for not jumping ship like most of Cambelltown’s other players, nice to see some loyalty.

Flinders Flames-
Pete Kelly’s 2nd season in charge at the flames looks like a tough one. Losing Carol Corbett (deserved winner of last season’s player of the year) and Sarah Maquis are big blows, pleasingly though they have picked up a bunch of fringe players from Cumberland in recent weeks that add a bit of quality to the squad. Always difficult to score against, Flinders season will depend on finding someone to score and create the goals that Carol brought to their side.

Key Players – Julia McGrath is a rock in their defence, and a few of the girls from Cumberland have premier league experience which will be invaluable.

Para Hills Knights-
New coach at Knights as well, Alistair was reasonably successful at junior level but now must adapt to the step up to seniors. Knights have probably one of the best lists in the state league, but the big question is can they stop the flakiness that killed them last year, where they scored some big wins against quality sides, but dropped points against some of the so called lesser teams. Some of their results so far indicate that maybe this hasn’t changed.

Key Players- Nicole Tilley is a bright up and coming talent, as well as some of the girls who remain from Knight’s time in the premier league like Tracey Long and Jess Teague.

Parafield Gardens-
The new kids on the block. I was initially worried that they’d be the like-minded replacements of Gawler’s anti-football, but while a few of their defenders have a tendency to belt the ball long, and they can be quite physical, Gardens are by no means dirty and actually have a lot of quality running through their side. I expect them to cause many sides a fair bit of trouble and could be around the mark come the end of the season.

Key Player- Chantel Reynolds. She was pure class when I watched them play and will have a pretty big shout in being named player of the season, she really stands out.

Western Toros-
One of the few sides in the State league NOT to have changed their coach, which in unsurprising as Leigh has kept Toros around the mark for quite some time as well as having had experience with state sides and development squads. Nearly an unchanged squad from last season, along with 2 quality pick-ups from Mt Gambier (I think) and Adelaide City’s reserve side make them one of the sides to beat.

Key Players- Jenna McCormick from Gambier and Emma McColl from City are two fantastic pick-ups, and Elise Faulkner is probably the best keeper in the competition.

Predictions-
I expect Knights and Toros to fight it out for the title, and their 3 head to head games could prove crucial. Knights recently won the first match 2-0, but as I mentioned do have a tendency to drop points outside of the ‘big’ games, whereas Toros seem to be putting the lesser sides to the sword.
After struggling initially, I think Uni will be competing with Gardens for 3rd and 4th with Hills just behind them. I’m not convinced that Flames have the ability to replace Carol and I think they will finish 6th just ahead of Campbelltown.

Just my opinion and it’d be great to hear other people’s thoughts!

cg1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: State League 2011

Post by cg1 »

Great post, very detailed!
Yes it's a good comp, very close between quite a few teams from what I have seen!
Brilliant to see Rawinski ex Cumby Reserves captain best for Flinders the other day!
Toros recruited a couple of good players, very good team.
Uni look strong, but down on results so far but plenty of season to go.
PS. Hopefully the Glen girls can contribute to Hills if they can get their work schedule coordinated so both are on the pitch at the same time. :wink:
PPS. A bunch of excellent young players at Hills

Easy Tiger
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Easy Tiger »

Great post, it's great to see some interest in the state league.
It would really be good if many players moved to these clubs instead of staying in the reserve league...

mccormickbl
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by mccormickbl »

Yes it is a great summary.... being one of the Mum's of the new players, its great to get some background... yes Mt Gambier is right!!

batumgoesthedynamite
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by batumgoesthedynamite »

Great write up.

Adelaide Hills should be doing a lot better, have some fantastic young players. Shouldnt of replaced last years coach. These girls get sprayed weekly by a coach, which is poor form!

Para Hills are the team to be beat. Very strong, and well organised.

Ad Uni are the next best challengers, young and smart. Hot word is a couple of their best players are on the move next season though, will be tough to make sure they stay.

Toros/Flinders will be close but not good enough.

Parafield surprising everyone, solid keeper,Chantel invery good form, their defenders are hard and fast as well.

no idea
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by no idea »

I dont think anyone deserves to be the favorites the State league is a very close comp and anyone can beat anyone on any given day.

bigstateleaguefan
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by bigstateleaguefan »

Good to see a little bit more interest than usual!

Interesting results at the weekend putting Parafield top, good on them for going so well. Has been a bit of a meteoric rise for them!