STIC Trials

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

Cruyff
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

STIC Trials

Post by Cruyff »

Anyone heard when the U/12 STIC trials will take place...

Sacred Noodle
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Re: STIC Trials

Post by Sacred Noodle »

Dont know but think the nominations have to be in by this coming Monday

Also think it is for 10 outfield players (as well as or including?) 3 under age players

Adrenalin
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Adrenalin »

U12-14 Coaches have nominated players from our club last Monday as expected. Still awaiting info regarding trial dates/times.

grumbly
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by grumbly »

I heard that U14 keepers need not apply..is this true?

If so, it's a shame for those lads working their butts off and now not even a chance to show how they've improved.

Jeda
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Jeda »

Cruyff wrote:Anyone heard when the U/12 STIC trials will take place...
:?: can anyone tell me the purpose of STIC :?:
:| what was last years outcome :oops: the 12's went on till the new year before choosing a 13 state (academy) squad, 13's didn't achieve anything other than to be part of a large & long process to pick a u14 state squad, & the u14 STIC squads :?: :( how many identified for what :?: :mrgreen: almost forgot the coaches, any of them picked or identified :?: any asked to submit ideas or feedback :?:
I do not know which makes a man more conservative—to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past.
- John Maynard Keynes

clubman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by clubman »

Jeda wrote:
Cruyff wrote:Anyone heard when the U/12 STIC trials will take place...
:?: can anyone tell me the purpose of STIC :?:
:| what was last years outcome :oops: the 12's went on till the new year before choosing a 13 state (academy) squad, 13's didn't achieve anything other than to be part of a large & long process to pick a u14 state squad, & the u14 STIC squads :?: :( how many identified for what :?: :mrgreen: almost forgot the coaches, any of them picked or identified :?: any asked to submit ideas or feedback :?:

now the purpose of STIC yes well
for further information contact ffsa Technical Director.

Cruyff
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Cruyff »

I think you will find that players already in the state system are not required to trial for U/14 STIC... all other U/14 players would be expected to trial including KEEPERS...i cant imagine games at STIC with no keepers in goal.......

grumbly
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by grumbly »

I heard keepers from existing developement squad will be used, thus denying the rest any opportunity.
Again, just what I have heard, no idea if true or not. Perhaps someone on here could clarify?

New Boy On The Block
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by New Boy On The Block »

grumbly wrote:I heard keepers from existing developement squad will be used, thus denying the rest any opportunity.
Again, just what I have heard, no idea if true or not. Perhaps someone on here could clarify?
Yes, this is true. The nominations in all age groups were for field players only.

rabbit
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rabbit »

If that's the case, then it makes a mockery of the Championships :?

grumbly
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by grumbly »

I agree 100%

cannot identify new talent if you won't even let them trial.

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

Does it matter 'WHO' actually picks the gks??

The gks in the development squads have already been identified, now they will be watched in game situations at stic, instead of just trainings

How will stic coaches actually pick their GK if they get 4-6 out there? They are watching the field players closely, and just stick the gks in goals during games

Isn't it better to have gks that are being watched and trained by the FFSA already, then ones that might luckily get picked from 3 or 4 stic trials, and only if they might make a good save in a small game or 2

Really, if you were a stic coach, with 50-60 outfield players to watch, and 4-6 gks, how would you go about picking your GK for your team ?
Spot Željko Jurin Jnr ......

grumbly
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by grumbly »

Not interested on who selects them. The point is, no keepers will be trialling as they will be using those already in the system.

So those who didn't quite get there last year are not being given the chance to show how they have improved.

rabbit
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rabbit »

I guess next year, all players with flair and vision won't be allowed to trial either as they "have all been identified already". NOT ! :roll:

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

grumbly wrote:Not interested on who selects them. The point is, no keepers will be trialling as they will be using those already in the system.

So those who didn't quite get there last year are not being given the chance to show how they have improved.
I understand what you're saying, but how is he going to be selected by the stic coach to start with?
'Chuck him in goals', and if he doesn't end up making a save or touching the ball at all, he won't get picked anyway

If he has improved, and just missed out last year, I would get the club to call Neil or Robbie and ask if he can go down and train with them for a week or 2

That way the kid gets a proper go, and get looked at by people who know something about GK, and not some bloke with a clipboard looking for 15 outfield players .....

prefly
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by prefly »

It’s not that simple Zeljko, The FFSA have got the whole system sown up down there, In the past when you had a quasi private academy where parents payed to have their child coached, they nearly always picked those keepers in the state systems. Other keepers may get a look-in at the beginning but as soon as the real selections are done they nearly always picked their own keepers, even sons of coaches!. I’ve heard some parents of boys in the FFSA academy say “that’s the reason we take them there to get them into state . If there is a keeper that is outstanding they were advised to enrol in the academy. There are some exceptions but overall the selection process is skewed towards the FFSA's own boys. I think that the under 12 this year is a bit different which is good.
I don’t agree with your assumption that Neil Tate, Robert or Joe are better judges than the STIC coaches that deal with keepers each week in their own sides, its a bit of a furphy to say that coaches know nothing about keepers . I have never seen a STIC coach "just chuck a kid in goals" they were always rejigging the teams to give the keepers equal chances. My lad missed out one year after getting an injury during trials but I could never accuse the coach of not knowing what he was talking about when it came to keepers. I would never presume to talk for the STIC coaches but I think they would be a bit peeved to say the least not being able to pick their own keepers.

Hey Rabbit! would you have been happy not picking your keepers?

What does this say to those keepers whose parents can't afford or are unable to take the kids all the way down to Underdale, do they miss out now, before they still had the chance to play in a rep side, not now, that’s all gone they are not even given a chance now, very poor. Goalkeepers esp the older lads can improve exponentially over a season, you would be surprised what growing a few inches can do to a keepers confidence, these lads are now in danger of getting left behind.

Anyway that’s my two cents worth, to all the keepers out there good-luck and keep up the training.

Big Mac
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Big Mac »

Zeljko Jurin wrote:
grumbly wrote:Not interested on who selects them. The point is, no keepers will be trialling as they will be using those already in the system.

I understand what you're saying, but how is he going to be selected by the stic coach to start with?
'Chuck him in goals', and if he doesn't end up making a save or touching the ball at all, he won't get picked anyway

If he has improved, and just missed out last year, I would get the club to call Neil or Robbie and ask if he can go down and train with them for a week or 2

That way the kid gets a proper go, and get looked at by people who know something about GK, and not some bloke with a clipboard looking for 15 outfield players .....
Didn't the GK's already "in the system" get picked by some bloke with a clipboard in the 1st place?
What happens if some GK's with talent were overlooked at last years STIC trials by some bloke with a clipboard?
Feel sorry for those GK's who haven't been identified yet, have improved and worked hard over 12 months and won't have the opportunity to show their wares.
Some people tell me that we professional players are soccer slaves. Well, if this is slavery, give me a life sentence.
Bobby Charlton

Cobweb Rides Again
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Cobweb Rides Again »

Prefly, Grumbly, Rabbit,

Is that it?

You are officially throwing in the towel on behalf of your kids?

STIC, State Teams , Academies, Development Squads call em what you want, but to not make a side is not the end of the world (in your eyes or your kids).

Many a starry eyed kid or parent for that fact, has had kids go to represent these sides thinking they have made it, but only to come away blaming this or that, for not going on with it.
Kids will always be kids, some will make it others won't. That is not a derogatory for the kids because there is so many variables at play at any one time. Kids need to be allowed to play and if your kid doesn't make a representative team, so be it. That does not mean that they will never represent the Socceroos,play A-League or play overseas but that the current selectors of that age groups side doesn't see your kids abilities or potential at that time

To the kids I say give it a red hot go and leave no regrets,

To the parents I say encourage em but don't over inflate them.

rabbit
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rabbit »

[quote="Cobweb Rides Again"]Prefly, Grumbly, Rabbit,

Is that it?

You are officially throwing in the towel on behalf of your kids?

I never said anything about throwing in the towel :clown:

rabbit
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rabbit »

Hey Rabbit! would you have been happy not picking your keepers?

Anyway that’s my two cents worth, to all the keepers out there good-luck and keep up the training.[/quote]

No, I would not and I would certainly argue the point if I knew of a talented keeper who deserved a go.
Like I have said many times before, there's an "in crowd" down at the FFSA and ALL kids need to be seen. Not sure how that is possible but it needs to happen somehow.

rabbit
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rabbit »

That way the kid gets a proper go, and get looked at by people who know something about GK, and not some bloke with a clipboard looking for 15 outfield players .....[/quote]

Then obviously the FFSA got it wrong by giving a Coaching gig to "some bloke with a clipboard" in the first place! :oops:

Cruyff
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Cruyff »

As far as i know there is 4 kids in the state system and they i assume will miss the STIC tournament.
If there are 4 zones to compete in the U/14 STIC champs, then doesnt that open it up for every kid in there zone to try out for the 4 (with 1 keeper) or 8 (with 2 keepers) positions up for grabs. When the U/14 goalkeeper trials were held earlier in the year i'm sure only 12 attended.
In my way of thinking that means 4 made it to state and the remainding 8 will all get picked up for STIC. !!!!!!!!!!

grumbly
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by grumbly »

Cobweb, certainly not throwing in the towel, far from it. My son is happy with his club, plays up a few years and plays for his school, he's in a good place where he is.
I am just dissappointed that there is no trial system for these GK spots at all.
Even those taken from STIC last year were mislead.
To tell a lad he's made the final 6, only to find out so have 10 others (plus the existing State boys) is a little disheartening.
This new system doesn't actually affect us as after that shambles my boy isn't that interested in STIC or State anyway. Sad but true.

And Cruyff, the keepers for STIC are the developement keepers, so no one gets the chance to trial.
Those that weren't quite there last year are now out of the system.

prefly
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by prefly »

Cobweb you have absolutely no idea who I am but I can assure you my "starry" eyed lad and myself have feet firmly on the ground and my lad has made and not made rep sides and he takes it with the dignity of the next man, he is quite happy playing for a great team who he enjoys playing with, but Its pretty hard on a young keeper when your month of birth determines if you make the FFSA development squad. I challenge you to feel good about that. So don’t come on here and start making stupid comments like “throwing in the towel” when the only people doing that the FFSA goalkeeping coaching team for not looking at as many keepers as they can during the STIC champs.
And unless I’ve missed something I don’t think Rabbit owns a keeper :wink: so why you lumped him into it I dont know

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

rabbit wrote:
Then obviously the FFSA got it wrong by giving a Coaching gig to "some bloke with a clipboard" in the first place! :oops:
Am I lying ??

rabbit
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rabbit »

prefly wrote:Cobweb you have absolutely no idea who I am but I can assure you my "starry" eyed lad and myself have feet firmly on the ground and my lad has made and not made rep sides and he takes it with the dignity of the next man, he is quite happy playing for a great team who he enjoys playing with, but Its pretty hard on a young keeper when your month of birth determines if you make the FFSA development squad. I challenge you to feel good about that. So don’t come on here and start making stupid comments like “throwing in the towel” when the only people doing that the FFSA goalkeeping coaching team for not looking at as many keepers as they can during the STIC champs.
And unless I’ve missed something I don’t think Rabbit owns a keeper :wink: so why you lumped him into it I dont know
Correct, I don't own a keeper and am no longer just some bloke with a clipboard either :wink:

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

:lol:

When you were running your stic trials, did you not carry a clipboard ?

rabbit
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rabbit »

Sometimes yes but more importantly a good memory :wink:

Green_Manalishi
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Green_Manalishi »

Zeljko Jurin wrote:When you were running your stic trials, did you not carry a clipboard ?
rabbit wrote:Sometimes yes but more importantly a good memory :wink:
I seem to remember Mr.T_69 being master of the clipboard.
Occasionally available in blue

rabbit
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rabbit »

Yes, so true and did a great job too :wink: