Player Movement

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

slazenger
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Player Movement

Post by slazenger »

Racheal Quigley and Lucy Adamopoulos from Adelaide Olympic to Adelaide Uni.
Supposedly Angela Fimmano from Cumberland United to Adelaide Olympic?

John Cena
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Player Movement

Post by John Cena »

hmmmm.......wtf is going on at olympic

Caretaker Coach
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Caretaker Coach »

slazenger wrote:Racheal Quigley and Lucy Adamopoulos from Adelaide Olympic to Adelaide Uni.
If true,care to elaborate ? was it all too hard for some players? hard to make a comment without info.

With this continual roundabout / musical chairs in women's soccer,always going to hard to have a stable competition,seems to happen a lot in the women's game ( players changing clubs, players leaving a club to form another club ).

southern
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by southern »

I think that FFSA should not allow players changing club during the season. Maybe until, say, May? But sure not July! That's make the whole thing a joke 'cause players can "threaten" to leave all the time and put teammates/coaches/clubs under pressure. So some players have it always their way and in the end the whole game suffers because of the mentality that is created. One of the many things FFSA should change but are UNABLE TO DO!!!

The other thing is...wtf!? RQ to A. Uni??? What for? To "help them" build for the Prems next year? Bahaha! They will then move up, recruit aggressively using the same strategies that didn't work at Olympic and then when things get hard leave again? Her call I guess...but why?

Easy Tiger
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Easy Tiger »

Will they be allowed to play for Uni in this cup round already?
If so - Sturt vs Uni will be more interesting :lol:

BlackBrian_7
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by BlackBrian_7 »

slazenger wrote:Racheal Quigley and Lucy Adamopoulos from Adelaide Olympic to Adelaide Uni.
Looks like Michael Decelis has some competition as the best striker at the club now!

themagnet
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by themagnet »

Easy Tiger wrote:Will they be allowed to play for Uni in this cup round already?
If so - Sturt vs Uni will be more interesting :lol:
surely they'd be cup tied, unless Olympic had the bye last round

batumgoesthedynamite
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by batumgoesthedynamite »

Olympic played Para Hills last round.
You would assume both would be cup tied

Leaves a bitter taste though, the game at an 'elite' level is falling apart.

Quigs and Lucy to dominate down there. big deal. Means nothing for Ad Uni if they win the league and if anything takes away from what has been an exciting season so far.

Do it with the players you have, not the players you have to buy to succeed!!

pc9999
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by pc9999 »

is this confirmed?

On the note of changing clubs, my daugthers club had 2 girls ask t join 1 was accepted, and now a 3rd asked to join and I think she has been accepted.
Do they need them?
Unlikely but it helps with numbers and now both res and prems have full squads, given injuries and sickness it does help.

But I agree with a previous post players should be accepted pre-season or mid season for a 2 week window.

What is the point of trialing and committing when you can do these sort of moves.

In this case (if true) why would you leave a strong club in prems and go to another not in prems?

courtz
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by courtz »

the only sense i can make of this is:
tracey jenkins is a great coach and isnt she coaching ad uni now? if so, ye sure players may want to play under her. but yeah.
maybe they want to step back n play a bit more socially?

themagnet
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by themagnet »

will the girls playing at State league clubs be considered for AU duties next season?

Spurs23
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Spurs23 »

I know of quite a few prems players moving to state league clubs in preseason and mid-season. Maybe instead of questioning the reasoning of players, perhaps it's good to see it as a positive step in upgrading the state league to lessen the gap between the two leagues. These players, if they go about it correctly and don't let egos get in the way, can boost morale, leadership and importantly results for sides who do well at state league level but fall way behind in cup games and after promotion....shame none went to s.Adelaide, sure they'd want a few right now.

Caretaker Coach
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Caretaker Coach »

Spurs23 wrote:I know of quite a few prems players moving to state league clubs in preseason and mid-season. Maybe instead of questioning the reasoning of players, perhaps it's good to see it as a positive step in upgrading the state league to lessen the gap between the two leagues. These players, if they go about it correctly and don't let egos get in the way, can boost morale, leadership and importantly results for sides who do well at state league level but fall way behind in cup games and after promotion....shame none went to s.Adelaide, sure they'd want a few right now.
I agree with the very last comment,if they had gone to Sth Adelaide,would have made the competition more interesting. Again,without knowing any info, one would assume that when you have good young players go from Premiers to State league, seems as though ego does have something to do with it,eg maybe looking for more publicity ?
Just seems to me ,whenever it gets all too hard, players are quick to jump ship,rather then stay and try to work things out.If that is the case,then maybe the State League is the place for them,let the players who are willing to do what it takes,to play at the top level,take their place.

courtz
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by courtz »

Caretaker Coach wrote:
Spurs23 wrote:I know of quite a few prems players moving to state league clubs in preseason and mid-season. Maybe instead of questioning the reasoning of players, perhaps it's good to see it as a positive step in upgrading the state league to lessen the gap between the two leagues. These players, if they go about it correctly and don't let egos get in the way, can boost morale, leadership and importantly results for sides who do well at state league level but fall way behind in cup games and after promotion....shame none went to s.Adelaide, sure they'd want a few right now.
I agree with the very last comment,if they had gone to Sth Adelaide,would have made the competition more interesting. Again,without knowing any info, one would assume that when you have good young players go from Premiers to State league, seems as though ego does have something to do with it,eg maybe looking for more publicity ?
Just seems to me ,whenever it gets all too hard, players are quick to jump ship,rather then stay and try to work things out.If that is the case,then maybe the State League is the place for them,let the players who are willing to do what it takes,to play at the top level,take their place.

re: going to sth adelaide. i knwo quigley is from the North, so the travel to South Adelaide would be difficult and most likely pointless.

John Cena
Star Player
Star Player

Post by John Cena »

it makes it hard for clubs that have been working with there home grown talent to try and get back to prems, ok so what happens if Uni win the league and dont want to go to prems? hey look if those players werent happy with there club good luck to them but maybe this time of the season they should only be allowed to go to other prem teams, just my suggestion

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

pinkyellowblue wrote:Olympic played Para Hills last round.

Quigs and Lucy to dominate down there. big deal. Means nothing for Ad Uni if they win the league and if anything takes away from what has been an exciting season so far.

Buy?! Don't think so.

I don't think 2 players will automatically give Uni the title. There is a very talented group of players that are very young and need a little experience in the line-up beyond players like Beavers and Latimer to help ensure results - this may be the solution. Plus, the two Christchurch girls have to go back in July, so Tracey is just doing what any coach would do.

southern
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by southern »

Lucas Leiva wrote:

Buy?! Don't think so.

I don't think 2 players will automatically give Uni the title. There is a very talented group of players that are very young and need a little experience in the line-up beyond players like Beavers and Latimer to help ensure results - this may be the solution. Plus, the two Christchurch girls have to go back in July, so Tracey is just doing what any coach would do.
No offence here mate, but obviously you have no fr***kin' idea what you are on about!
We are talking state league and R. Quigley!!! Are you serious?
If a player like that (by many tipped the best in the state until she lost it...) doesn't make all the difference in an already strong team...then I don't know what you need! Please, do your homework and then try again!

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

Bad Egg wrote:
Lucas Leiva wrote:

Buy?! Don't think so.

No offence here mate, but obviously you have no fr***kin' idea what you are on about!
We are talking state league and R. Quigley!!! Are you serious?
If a player like that (by many tipped the best in the state until she lost it...) doesn't make all the difference in an already strong team...then I don't know what you need! Please, do your homework and then try again!
:lol: Lol. So you're saying that if Marcos Flores stepped in for Western Strikers in the Super League he'd take them from mid-table to the title against an undefeated Adelaide City?

No offence to you either, but I'm involved at Uni and the girls are a great bunch, and you obviously didn't read my comment properly. What I'm saying is Marta could join them and they wouldn't automatically win the league single-handed.

southern
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by southern »

Your comment just confirms my point. You have no idea what you are talking about. Making the A-League/local men's leagues comparison just tells how much some ppl still don't understand about women's football. But by the end of the season you will understand.
Just don't come here and tell us how great you are at Uni and how fantastic your team/coach/club is (especially is some of your players score 10+ goals against some feared State league defence - no offence whatsoever to any State league team). :lol:

gee_kay
Star Player
Star Player

Post by gee_kay »

i just hope Rach finds her feet and start enjoying her football again
Follow me on Twitter @gee_kay10

Super_Trooper
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Super_Trooper »

Pretty sure there is a cut off point for transfer of players between clubs and I thought this was May/June - Couldnt find anything in the fixture booklet with the other rules....

Has the tranfers of Quigs and Lucy been confirmed or is it just rumour...!?!?

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

Bad Egg wrote:Your comment just confirms my point. You have no idea what you are talking about. Making the A-League/local men's leagues comparison just tells how much some ppl still don't understand about women's football. But by the end of the season you will understand.
Just don't come here and tell us how great you are at Uni and how fantastic your team/coach/club is (especially is some of your players score 10+ goals against some feared State league defence - no offence whatsoever to any State league team). :lol:
:lol:

No-one from Uni will be bragging about anything.

I like you Bad Egg. You still miss my point, but you've got a good sense of humour.

paulscholesisthebest
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by paulscholesisthebest »

What a classic - Lucas Leiva trying to defend the indefensible (no offence meant, but your view is from a biased perspective of course - reminds me of the U15/U17 cup fiasco last season). If true (the transfer that is), it will make all the difference. Anyone in the State League can tell you this. Anyway, good luck to Adelaide Uni. If clubs have to buy their way to the Premier League, so what. Who knows what goes on in the Prem League in terms of players being paid, being exempted from fees, or whatever. What I for one would like to know is what, if anything, the two said players are receiving as an inducement to transfer. If this is the way the elite competition is heading, it should be out there (the same applies to the Prem League Clubs) for all to see, so all clubs can make plans to try to buy the best coaches and players. It's not a level playing field at the moment which is also part of the overall problem of building a high quality, stable elite competition.

On a future perspective, assuming the transfer goes ahead and Adelaide Uni are promoted to the Premier League, they will need to keep those girls or recruit other outstanding players to prevent getting flogged week in week out (they will also need a Reserves team - unless FFSA do the right thing and abolish the Reserves competition at the end of this year). History tells us that just getting promoted is not sufficient. Is there also a further strategy for next season? We'll see.
Last edited by paulscholesisthebest on Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pc9999
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by pc9999 »

paulscholesisthebest wrote: unless FFSA do the right thing and abolish the Reserves competition at the end of this year)..
Why do you say getting rid of reserves is the right thing?

(from a personal POV) my daughter would rather play res where she is then prems anywhere else. She is young and has loads of time to push for prems but she is learning and developing at a good pace so by 'your right thing' she would be pushed out be forced to play socially or at a lower age group (potentially less skilled) get bored and quit the game.

(and FWIW I and a number of parents have discussed this at training) the general consensus is theirs will do the same. So now we will lose them from an even earlier age.

paulscholesisthebest
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

The Reserves competition is fine if you only want to have around 4 competitive clubs in the Premier League flogging everyone else year in year out. But granted, getting rid of it is always a contentious issue. IMO (and that of plenty of others) the Reserves Comp only benefits a small group of players at a small number of clubs. It's got nothing to do with our kids (yes our kids) having to play underage or socially. The idea is to develop a high quality elite competition that is better than what we presently have. To develop a high quality and stable elite competition for years to come, we need to think beyond this limited vision of every elite club needing to field a reserves team (there simply aren't enough players). Check out the forum on Restructuring of Woman's Leagues started by Neyma on May 15th for some good (but initially painful) ideas. Food for thought.

pc9999
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by pc9999 »

paulscholesisthebest wrote:The Reserves competition is fine if you only want to have around 4 competitive clubs in the Premier League flogging everyone else year in year out.
Are you suggesting eliminate res so they are forced to go to other prem clubs and strengthen them?
But granted, getting rid of it is always a contentious issue. IMO (and that of plenty of others) the Reserves Comp only benefits a small group of players at a small number of clubs.
I can't speak for other clubs, but I do know parents and friends of my daughter they are all over the place state level as well as prem and res. In fact simply from the state trials/stic comps etc A good majority of the girls are playing at these levels now (ie prem/res) I would rather they play in a comp where they don't have it so easy week in week out.

I stress for the younger ones their options should res be abolished are age level playing or not playing (if they arent ready for prems)
It's got nothing to do with our kids (yes our kids) having to play underage or socially. The idea is to develop a high quality elite competition that is better than what we presently have.

To develop a high quality and stable elite competition for years to come, we need to think beyond this limited vision of every elite club needing to field a reserves team (there simply aren't enough players).
I understand, most clubs will face it, my daughter's did and decided to do without 17s and go with reserves. They have a full squad for both prems and reserves but the res are developing their trade whilst the prems are very good. I do not think any of the games played (and they did play all of the teams) were one sided at all, always pushing and challenging (from both sides) with some great passages of play, the scoreline may not reflect it but on the pitch it was a different story.
Check out the forum on Restructuring of Woman's Leagues started by Neyma on May 15th for some good (but initially painful) ideas. Food for thought.
I have read it and as you said it is contentious. I also agree we do not have enough girls (yet) playing at all levels.

Of course I am expressing my opinion and having coached younger girls I see that end vitally important and that's where the growth has to be to provide the depth for the upper teams in the future.

Sorry to take it off topic but iwas curious as to the statement.

paulscholesisthebest
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Yes, we're getting a little off track, but it's probably the most important issue around in the Womens' game at the moment. I remember when my daughter started playing at club and state level, everyone was euphoric that Women's football was the fastest growing sport in Australia. A few years on, and that hasn't translated into an improvement at the top level in SA. Clubs are promoted to the top level, they are flogged, their reserves are flogged and the girls lose interest (look at Gawler - went from possible promotion to the Premier League to Div whatever. That's some reward for being successful!). Last year, the top Prem teams were Ad City, Olympic, Metro - same with the reserves and the same this year (although I'm not sure what's going on at Olympic at present!). Sturt Marion are on the wane (sure to stir someone up - my apologies in advance), Cumberland - well let's see, they've taken some drastic action this season, Cambelltown is finished - not even competitive in the State league, and South Adelaide is getting thumped (21-0 is absolutely appalling). There's little diversity in terms of clubs competing at the top level and very little hope of generating diversity with the current system. In spite of this, many people are still saying things like "wait until the next generation of young players comes through" like that's going to solve the problem at the top. Something needs to be done so the next gen has an elite competition to move into and within which they can flourish. The status quo won't do it.
paulscholesisthebest wrote:
The Reserves competition is fine if you only want to have around 4 competitive clubs in the Premier League flogging everyone else year in year out.

Are you suggesting eliminate res so they are forced to go to other prem clubs and strengthen them?
Other Prem clubs or other State League clubs with a restructure so more of the best players are playing against the best players week in and week out - a high quality elite competition. We have to think of the elite competition as being more than just the Premier League (or even worse, only 3 or 4 Premier League clubs).
Quote:
But granted, getting rid of it is always a contentious issue. IMO (and that of plenty of others) the Reserves Comp only benefits a small group of players at a small number of clubs.
I can't speak for other clubs, but I do know parents and friends of my daughter they are all over the place state level as well as prem and res. In fact simply from the state trials/stic comps etc A good majority of the girls are playing at these levels now (ie prem/res) I would rather they play in a comp where they don't have it so easy week in week out.

I stress for the younger ones their options should res be abolished are age level playing or not playing (if they arent ready for prems)
I don't necessarily agree with that. If set up properly, there should be an improvement at the State League level - in fact several current State league teams would be very competitive against the top Reserves teams. A restructure should provide more clubs for player development and with improved competition, would prepare teams better for promotion to the Premier League. Unfortunately, I don't see the will to do this which means it won't work. There's no incentive for the top Prem Clubs to do it and there are many parents who like the idea of their daughters playing reserves with the potential to get the odd time off the bench in a Premier league game. Of course, some of those girls will make it into a top Premier League team, but not many. In the meantime, this prevents broadening the quality base and thus overall improvement of the competition.
quote:
It's got nothing to do with our kids (yes our kids) having to play underage or socially. The idea is to develop a high quality elite competition that is better than what we presently have.

To develop a high quality and stable elite competition for years to come, we need to think beyond this limited vision of every elite club needing to field a reserves team (there simply aren't enough players).

I understand, most clubs will face it, my daughter's did and decided to do without 17s and go with reserves. They have a full squad for both prems and reserves but the res are developing their trade whilst the prems are very good. I do not think any of the games played (and they did play all of the teams) were one sided at all, always pushing and challenging (from both sides) with some great passages of play, the scoreline may not reflect it but on the pitch it was a different story.
Not having an U17 team is not a good option. As an indication of the magnitude of this problem, you only have to look at Adelaide City (are you talking about Ad City?). For the first time since I can remember, no U17s. If a club like that is struggling to field an U17 team, that's not good. Of course losing a sizeable chunk of their amazing unbeaten 2009 U17 team, many of whom played Reserves last season and would be in their Reserves side this season, is a big part of that particular problem. What happened there?

I agree that junior development is vital (I have stated this previously), but as I mentioned above, based on the experience of the last 4 or so years where we apparently were the fastest growing sport in Australia, we will still lose them if there's not a high quality elite senior competition that gives them the opportunity to continue.

Anyway, I've had my say. Apologies to anyone I've inadvertently upset.

John Cena
Star Player
Star Player

Post by John Cena »

the game has taken a bit hit when they decided to scrap the reserves a few years back , the reserves were playing in a lower div and smacking everyone, why would the girls want to come back out week in week out and get smacked, the problem is in the structure put in place by the same bozos year in year out, I dont blame RQ moving, Id love he playing for my club and who wouldnt ? we need fresh faces up above or it will all turn to sh.t, ive been involved for many many years, back to when bess was coaching underage at west adelaide, and the last 5 years have put our league back 10 years, thats just my opinion

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

If reserves are removed, will the first teams keeper bigger squads for depth/cover?

Will this mean girls not getting as much if any game time if they are on the fringe?

Will this help their development?

ARodgers
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ARodgers »

I've always thought it might be good to do away with reserves, and have an u/18 comp replace the u/17s, restrict it to teams in the 'elite' divisions and have them play in the current reserves timeslot. Players in the u/17 age bracket then either decide to take it seriously and move to an 'elite' club, or play for their club's social side. You could have provision for 3 overage players, and medical certificates for those playing back from injury.