junior football

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

justmyopinion
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

junior football

Post by justmyopinion »

u13a
campbelltown- 3 salisbury- 0
why is it that some junior coaches are still coaching their teams to kick the ball long or kick the ball out at the slighest bit of pressure?
why would a junior coach allow his players to continually kick, elbow and shove players in the back when the ref is not looking?

if my son was allowed to do that i would drag him off by his ears!!

the ffsa has clearly instructed all junior teams to play the ball out from the back, keep possesion, use skills to dribble and beat players so that in future years all clubs will develop good ball playing players and in turn hopefully flow on into the a-league.
it also didnt surprise me to hear after the game some salisbury parents talking about taking their kids next year to para hills where they are coached the skills of football and to be hard at the ball.......... not the man!
i guess thats why salisbury seniors have been stuck in the lower divisions for so may years.

hence the football lesson campbelltown gave them on sunday.

well done to the campbelltown boys and coach for keeping their cool and not retailiating and using their skill, brains and beautiful football on the park.

a satisfied red devil :evil:

Alba gu brath
In Memory of Dylan Tombides

Re: junior football

Post by Alba gu brath »

I agree fully on this. There are still too many clubs playing in the premier leagues that play long balls and its all about physical strength. All it does is stop the teams who are trying to develop their players to play proper football. There is nothing better than watching teams who love to pass the ball around rather than punting it up field and having a fast player chase it.

James
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by James »

Apart from the release of the ffa curriculum, a powerpoint presentation on 433 and one visit from the FFSA to my club for a coaching clinic, what has been done to educate coaches on 433 and playing out from the back?

harrycripps
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by harrycripps »

James wrote:Apart from the release of the ffa curriculum, a powerpoint presentation on 433 and one visit from the FFSA to my club for a coaching clinic, what has been done to educate coaches on 433 and playing out from the back?
Bloody Romans, what have they ever done for us?

clubman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by clubman »

wiseoldman wrote:u13a
why is it that some junior coaches are still coaching their teams to kick the ball long or kick the ball out at the slighest bit of pressure?
why would a junior coach allow his players to continually kick, elbow and shove players in the back when the ref is not looking?

the ffsa has clearly instructed all junior teams to play the ball out from the back, keep possesion, use skills to dribble and beat players so that in future years all clubs will develop good ball playing players and in turn hopefully flow on into the a-league.
it also didnt surprise me to hear after the game some salisbury parents talking about taking their kids next year to para hills where they are coached the skills of football and to be hard at the ball.......... not the man!
i guess thats why salisbury seniors have been stuck in the lower divisions for so may years.

well done to the campbelltown boys and coach for keeping their cool and not retailiating and using their skill, brains and beautiful football on the park.

I allways felt campbelltown boys were kick run and hit.
great to see changes well done

Whiteslane
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Whiteslane »

I know the coach of this Campbelltown team and he is one which is taking in the information and
systems of play being provided to them by Technical Director Maurice Natale. I have spoken to a
few of the coaches in the juniors and they are all in agreeance that the direction the club is taking
in concentrating on improvement in skills, attitude and style of play and the professional way it is being
described and shown to them has been outstanding. Maurice has already held many practical sessions
and recently held a theory and practical training day for the coaches of the club. It seems maybe some of
the coaches are taking this all in and implementing the strategies he and the club would like to see put
in place. Well done to to him and those coaches who are there for the betterment of the players.

James
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by James »

Spoke to Maurice a few weeks ago. Sounds like he established a fantastic structure. Hopefully my club can eventually follow the same suit.

James
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by James »

harrycripps wrote:
James wrote:Apart from the release of the ffa curriculum, a powerpoint presentation on 433 and one visit from the FFSA to my club for a coaching clinic, what has been done to educate coaches on 433 and playing out from the back?
have provided lots but not alot opportunities for personal development in coaching. (other than attaining my licenses)

justmyopinion
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by justmyopinion »

you only need to asked the ffsa and they will happily send out a coach to conduct junior coach training and provide up to date coaching drills for any coach to impliment at training. drills that get the kids passing the ball, moving off the ball and taking players on.
michael matriccianni or richie alagich(hope thats spelt correctly) are great at providing coaching assistance.
if everyone spreads the word at all clubs wouldnt it be great to see all junior clubs trying to play beautiful football rather than have coaches and parents only interested in results and in latter years wanting to know why they havent developed any kids playing seniors or why their little johnny got stuck in the reserves and complain about why the club never gave then a chance?

it can be done!

wiseoldreddevil :twisted:

CdOtzi
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by CdOtzi »

Finally, CCSC is taking junior coaching seriously and setting up for a bright future, The current 19s, Reserves and even the Seniors not looking healthy near the bottom of the table. Are these players products of poor junior coaching at the club over the last 5 years ?

Good luck to Maurice. He will need a team dedicated coaches to to make sure he will succeed to produce the dream team the club has been trying to buy for the last 10 years without success.

Not even super coach RA achieved anything.

Salisbury_United

Post by Salisbury_United »

wiseoldman wrote:u13a

it also didnt surprise me to hear after the game some Salisbury parents talking about taking their kids next year to para hills where they are coached the skills of football and to be hard at the ball.......... not the man!
i guess thats why Salisbury seniors have been stuck in the lower divisions for so may years.

first off well done to Cambelltown for the win well deserved.

I'm not a parent of any the kids in this team but on know the coach and know the players and am surprised that they played long ball football on the weekend... there are 2 players in this squad in the STIC team and one in the Skilleroos squad and a number of them also train in the Junior development squad which is coached by former Cambelltown 1st team coach Rocky Aloisi... so to say we don't train our boys according to the FFA curriculum is astounding! have you ever been to one there training sessions? have you watched everyone of there games?
why come on here post about how another team isn't playing to expectations... I know for a fact no one in that team thinks they played well or to an acceptable level... sometimes teams/players have bad games? I wasn't there so I can't comment on what the did well and what they didn't?

Why not take the 3 points and say yep we were the better side on the day... which clearly you were!

as a club we are working very hard on developing players and have the record to prove it. We are smack bang in the middle of E & D country which DO NOT receive any training along FFA curriculum.

once again congratulations on your win and good luck with the rest of the season.

P.S You are also welcome to come down to Steve Jarvis Park and watch our Seniors play in the Cup against ABE should be a great game.
http://www.salisburyunited.com.au
https://www.facebook.com/salisburyunited

2011 State League Champions
2011 Coca Cola Federation Reserve Cup Winners

justmyopinion
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by justmyopinion »

ive only seen 2 salisbury u13a games this year, they must have had 2 bad games when ive seen them, they seem happier playing the man and booting the ball long both games, spoken to other parents from adelaide city, para hills, metros and cumberland( the team with a player who had his arm broken after another late tackle). all agreed salisbury play a similar style to the english premier league of 20 years ago.
every club has players in zone, state teams and playing up in varying levels, where they end up in 7-10 years is when you gage any success in your junior coaching.
every club can do things better, campbelltown included, take it on the chin and learn from it.

good to hear rocky aloisi involved in your junior program, your on the right track, perhaps it might be good for your 13a coach to get some one on one coaching from rocky, any help he can get would be an improvement.

good luck with your junior development progam!

wiseoldreddevilman :twisted:

muts
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by muts »

Gotta show this to all the people from CCSC telling me CCSC juniors are in disarray and imploding, and see what they've got to say.
Athletic Supporter

a voice
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by a voice »

muts wrote:Gotta show this to all the people from CCSC telling me CCSC juniors are in disarray and imploding, and see what they've got to say.

"imploding"...please explain...

CCSC had what they needed for their juniors to succeed...he is now at White City. Have a look at the U15A tables for this year compared to U14A 2010, U13A 2009...see a pattern?

muts
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by muts »

a voice wrote:
muts wrote:Gotta show this to all the people from CCSC telling me CCSC juniors are in disarray and imploding, and see what they've got to say.

CCSC had what they needed for their juniors to succeed...he is now at White City. Have a look at the U15A tables for this year compared to U14A 2010, U13A 2009...see a pattern?
It's not the results - it's how everyone's left feeling at the end of the day - training or match day.
My mail is there's a lot of friction (and I keep reminding them it's sport, it's politics, it's comittee people with their own vested interest). I just keep saying this is normal in soccer clubs - and it is.
Take a deep breath, consider the real objective, help, then move it forward together.
Athletic Supporter

justmyopinion
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by justmyopinion »

one coach doesnt make a club. that particular ex coach your refering to was only worried about his team and winning championships and lining his own pocket. didnt care about promoting players or developing and improving average players to compete for the "a" teams or working together with other coaches to help develop players for the club. created more dramas than what he was worth. no one will care in 3 years time how many games he wins. thats why hes been at so many clubs. the parents and kids that follow him around like blind mice are only being used to line his pocket. while he may be a good skills coach its all about him and he dosent look at the bigger picture. at least some clubs have the bigger picture in mind. the sooner other clubs start worring about developing good ball playing players and not worring about winning championships in the u 6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17, the sooner sa will start developing its own players for the a-league and beyond.

long term success in player development is far more rewarding than winning junior championships.
hopefully every club sees the bigger picture.

wiseoldman :twisted:

Push It
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Push It »

wiseoldman wrote:one coach doesnt make a club. that particular ex coach your refering to was only worried about his team and winning championships and lining his own pocket. didnt care about promoting players or developing and improving average players to compete for the "a" teams or working together with other coaches to help develop players for the club. created more dramas than what he was worth. no one will care in 3 years time how many games he wins. thats why hes been at so many clubs. the parents and kids that follow him around like blind mice are only being used to line his pocket. while he may be a good skills coach its all about him and he dosent look at the bigger picture. at least some clubs have the bigger picture in mind. the sooner other clubs start worring about developing good ball playing players and not worring about winning championships in the u 6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17, the sooner sa will start developing its own players for the a-league and beyond.

long term success in player development is far more rewarding than winning junior championships.

Like this :D :D

OldRedback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by OldRedback »

"Wise"oldman it appears that you have far too much to say and it is starting to sound like alot of whingeing. I haven't met two more fairer men than the coaches of this Salisbury team that you speak of and they would certainly NEVER send kids out to hurt another team. Fact is that they may be competitive and this level of physicality is clearly something that you have failed to equip your side with - it is part of the game deal with it! Many a talented player has failed to cut it because they can be found wanting in areas of the game such as attitude, dedication committment and yes physicality as well.

My advice to you would be to worry about the development of your players - it sounded like that would have been good advice at the game as well - rather than worry about another team ie do your job and keep and keep your nose out. Coming on a public forum and bagging the job that someone else does voluntarily which has nothing to do with you is very poor form.

CdOtzi
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by CdOtzi »

a voice wrote:

Brilliant observation a voice. But how can you explain this. Is the person who left or the personnel left playing in this team ?

Squizzy
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Squizzy »

a voice wrote:

Have you seen them play and/or train? Do you know it's a different team to last year's U14A, etc?

As you are comparing tables over previous year's to this year, it a fair bet the answer to the above is no on both counts.

While I respect your opinion, I don't think you know what you're talking about.
Who?... Who is but a form, followed by the function of what... And what I am, is a man in a mask!

kikit2me
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by kikit2me »

harrycripps wrote:
The coaches who have done their Junior/Youth Licences over the last 1-2 Years would have days of training to understand the fundamental changes that have taken place in the style of play we are now encouraged to follow.

Those who continue to boot and run will be outplayed and the coaches that lead them will be replaced or renew their licences and realise why they were being outplayed.

it is obviously generational and so we need to be patient and take our kids to teams that play possession style 4-3-3 football (or something close). My thoughts for what they are worth :D

justmyopinion
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by justmyopinion »

oldredback.. i apologise if offence taken, only trying to highlight what i hear ffsa is wanting to impliment at all junior clubs, look at barcelona, spain and brisbane roar, total beautiful ball playing teams and winning, anyone can be physical, wouldnt it be great in 5-10-15 years time to go to an a-league game and see adelaide united full of salisbury, campbelltown, adelaide city, para hills, west adelaide, abe, metros, cumberland etc junior products playing.
that should be our goal.
with rocky aloisi on board your on the right track.
good luck.

:) :twisted:

James
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by James »

kikit2me wrote:
harrycripps wrote:
The coaches who have done their Junior/Youth Licences over the last 1-2 Years would have days of training to understand the fundamental changes that have taken place in the style of play we are now encouraged to follow.

Those who continue to boot and run will be outplayed and the coaches that lead them will be replaced or renew their licences and realise why they were being outplayed.

it is obviously generational and so we need to be patient and take our kids to teams that play possession style 4-3-3 football (or something close). My thoughts for what they are worth :D

you could renew your license every time a new approach/guideline is rolled out or the FFA/FFSA could run workshops with the focus on the new approach.

The last seminar i went on (a few years ago) was the one where kelly cross discussed the how the Argentina's 20's won the world cup. Has this happened for playing out from the back as i may have missed it.

kikit2me
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by kikit2me »

James wrote:
kikit2me wrote:
harrycripps wrote:Apart from the release of the ffa curriculum, a powerpoint presentation on 433 and one visit from the FFSA to my club for a coaching clinic, what has been done to educate coaches on 433 and playing out from the back?

you could renew your license every time a new approach/guideline is rolled out or the FFA/FFSA could run workshops with the focus on the new approach.

The last seminar i went on (a few years ago) was the one where kelly cross discussed the how the Argentina's 20's won the world cup. Has this happened for playing out from the back as i may have missed it.[/quote]

Wow James that was a while ago! I was fortunate enough to have done both my Junior and Youth licence in the last 2 years and can see the difference in the style of play in the teams playing each week (Junior and Senior levels).

In the West Zone we have a delegate from the FFSA who has visited our club a number of times, attended the Coaches meetings and conducted sessions with player groups U13 and U16 (with all junior coaches invited). This delegate is encouraged by the club to input and I understand that all Zones have one. If you aren't getting these visits or are unaware of who your contact is perhaps ask your Junior delegate or contact the FFSA?

a voice
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by a voice »

Squizzy wrote:
a voice wrote:

Have you seen them play and/or train? Do you know it's a different team to last year's U14A, etc?

As you are comparing tables over previous year's to this year, it a fair bet the answer to the above is no on both counts.

While I respect your opinion, I don't think you know what you're talking about.

Whats to know or not?
Yes I have seen them, yes I know that it is a different team, but this is not relevant.
This was purely an observation built on the last few years of league ladders and the fact that a successful teams coach left.

Perhaps the topic of discussion should be: What makes success..the club, the coach or the players? (This relates to all/any club). Now pandoras box has been opened...!

CdOtzi
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by CdOtzi »

Pandora' box !! a voice.
Forget the coaches/players/clubs- old ground revisted, Buddy. Try the the FFSA & FFA governing bodies.
Feel sorry for Frank Lowery wasting his money on an A league where at some games the seagulls outnumbered the spectators.
Pim Verbeek was right and he ended up sacking himself.

Try watching the women's FIFA world cup , sell out crowds and playing standard puts the A-league to shame.

Please explain ??

bestofbothworlds17
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by bestofbothworlds17 »

[quote="Whiteslane"]I know the coach of this Campbelltown team and he is one which is taking in the information and
systems of play being provided to them by Technical Director Maurice Natale. I have spoken to a
few of the coaches in the juniors and they are all in agreeance that the direction the club is taking
in concentrating on improvement in skills, attitude and style of play and the professional way it is being
described and shown to them has been outstanding. Maurice has already held many practical sessions
and recently held a theory and practical training day for the coaches of the club. It seems maybe some of
the coaches are taking this all in and implementing the strategies he and the club would like to see put
in place. Well done to to him and those coaches who are there for the betterment of the players.[/quo

I wouldnt mind betting that this Coach had learnt a fair bit from a previous Coach at the club prior to Maurice's ressurection? Even he would admit that...

bestofbothworlds17
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by bestofbothworlds17 »

wiseoldman wrote:one coach doesnt make a club. that particular ex coach your refering to was only worried about his team and winning championships and lining his own pocket. didnt care about promoting players or developing and improving average players to compete for the "a" teams or working together with other coaches to help develop players for the club. created more dramas than what he was worth. no one will care in 3 years time how many games he wins. thats why hes been at so many clubs. the parents and kids that follow him around like blind mice are only being used to line his pocket. while he may be a good skills coach its all about him and he dosent look at the bigger picture. at least some clubs have the bigger picture in mind. the sooner other clubs start worring about developing good ball playing players and not worring about winning championships in the u 6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17, the sooner sa will start developing its own players for the a-league and beyond.

"Wiseoldman" ?? Now there's a misnoma.....If the coach to whom you are referring is who i think it is, then you are a goose. Just ask all of the parents of the 8,9,10 & 11 yr olds who attend his private acadamies if they are happy with their child's development, i believe there are quite a few at your club? Even the Senior Coach of your Club sends his boy there and by the way, he even watches and listens himself. Please explain what the "bigger picture" is to all of us Football novices out here in la la land. Surely, learning how to win (and lose) with dignity is part of a being a "good player" ? Any of the teams that have been coached by this coach have all learnt this along the way, together with being not only "good ball players" but "great ball players"! Good players will make up Senior Teams all over the State, but Great Players will make up the A League and European Teams......

black
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by black »

related but not... what ever happened to the ffsa junior standing committee?
They haven't met for 3 - 4 months?
1/6.... but still 6. :)

"you see the eye to detail,the accuracy of the pass, it's the weight of the pass and the decision making in the games, that makes top players stand out form average players" - Rene' Meulensteen,

Phil collins
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Phil collins »

One thing everybody forgets in development Vs winning teams can play the best and prettiest brand of football going around, but if they dont score goals thus winning games and end up getting relegated from the A or B divisions some parents, not all start to club shop as there is no loyalty from them as they want thier sons and daughters playing in the highest division. This is why some of our junior coaches are some times not seen to be doing the right thing by certain kids with game time as if you are the 13th or 14th best player in a team and things are tight game time them may be the furthest thing from the coaches mind at that time. But it certainly is in the mind of the parents of them kids.