Trial Processes

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

Purger
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Trial Processes

Post by Purger »

So with clubs holding trials with in the next 4-8 weeks, I was wondering how are these trials run?
Is is simply a case of playing games and picking players from there? Do you just have a normal training session and select players from that??

Do you select the best players or the best team??

clubman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Trial Processes

Post by clubman »

Purger wrote:So with clubs holding trials with in the next 4-8 weeks, I was wondering how are these trials run?
Is is simply a case of playing games and picking players from there? Do you just have a normal training session and select players from that??

Our club is looking at working under the same system the state team is selected.

Purger
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Purger »

i see what your saying clubman, but that process involves large number of kids and there is some sort of structure to that. theres probably up to 10 sets of eyes watching also.

how many kids would trail for a particular team at your club?

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

clubman wrote:
Purger wrote:So with clubs holding trials with in the next 4-8 weeks, I was wondering how are these trials run?
Our club is looking at working under the same system the state team is selected.
Which is ?

Purger there is no correct answer. 5 years ago when I started coaching I had 7 kids, bingo a team, picked another one up at Mawson Lakes riding his bike with his Mum

Last year we had 40 or so, luckily made 2 teams for the u12s
Kids will miss out, it's the nature of the beast .....

Personally I look for individual technique, players that are comfortable with the ball

Luckily this year with u9s, we had enough for 2 teams, no one missed out, and they will get preference, luckily we go to 9v9 so we will need a few more players for both teams
Spot Željko Jurin Jnr ......

black
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by black »

clubman wrote:

you mean you are going to take 9 - 10 months to a squad??? :shock:

Just kidding... :lol:
1/6.... but still 6. :)

"you see the eye to detail,the accuracy of the pass, it's the weight of the pass and the decision making in the games, that makes top players stand out form average players" - Rene' Meulensteen,

Purger
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Purger »

but ZJ, what is the process in selecting your players? just play games?? 9 v 9 etc??

what coaches look for in players is a seperate issue, i was just interested in how clubs/coaches went about selecting their sides.

theres no right or wrong answer here!!

stiring the porridge
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by stiring the porridge »

Every club chooses differently, the rich clubs who are not short of sponsors or players choose the best, while a struggling smaller club pick the ones that come as thats all they get.

Some clubs could care less and just sign everyone and have 1-3 teams with the top 15 boys/girls in As with all others rotating on form or injury or sitting at the bottom of a JSL with no future other than continuing to support the club with fees and have fun.

So yeah there is no trial process with some clubs as they don't have a choice and the trial is simply filling out a rego form, while others do have a trial process because they can, based on skills and attitude.

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

Purger wrote:but ZJ, what is the process in selecting your players? just play games?? 9 v 9 etc??

what coaches look for in players is a seperate issue, i was just interested in how clubs/coaches went about selecting their sides.

Depending on the age group

Cant comment on older ones, but younger ones I would do a warm up (all with a ball....if you have that many), and then game related practices like SSF 4v4 with different scenarios and rules, and then finish with 6v6 or 7v7 games
Spot Željko Jurin Jnr ......

Purger
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Purger »

Zeljko Jurin wrote:
Purger wrote:but ZJ, what is the process in selecting your players? just play games?? 9 v 9 etc??

Depending on the age group

Cant comment on older ones, but younger ones I would do a warm up (all with a ball....if you have that many), and then game related practices like SSF 4v4 with different scenarios and rules, and then finish with 6v6 or 7v7 games
excellent...i got a straight answer!

albagubraith
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by albagubraith »

Most teams only really trial out a few positions as they want to keep continuity in their team from the previous season. This seems to be more the case with the older junior teams anyway.
MSSC Blue Eagles
2011 3rd Division Champions